Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport vs Z06 - 2nd thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:09 AM
eddyjoe
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I chose the GS when I had to make the same decision. Finances came into play and I couldn't afford the extra $14000 bc certain options (comp seats, 2LT, PDR) were more valuable than the 200HP. Ultimately I got a $72k out the door GS the way I wanted out (museum delivery and all) versus $90k for the Z06.

Just my side of the story. Either way you're going to be happy. I love my GS!
Old 12-10-2016, 01:52 AM
cybernetic77
Heel & Toe

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LIStingray
Have you owned any other high performance sports cars?
What type of roads will you be driving on?
The simple fact is that 0-60 in 3.6 seconds (compared to 2.95 for the Z06) is plenty fast - both will do over 170 mph and corner at 1.06 or 1.2g depending upon package.
There are very few times you will achieve those numbers on the street without a visit from law
enforcement.
I bought the Acura NSX when it came to Canada in 1992. It was a high performance car for it's time. So unlike most cars with its mid-engine design. A few weeks after I bought it, driving with my wife on a scenic country road in rural Eastern Ontario, I got stopped by a cop driving behind in his cruiser. My wife looks at me and says - "you see? You should never have bought this car. Too expensive, too fast (and we'll, you can figure out the rest). The policeman walks up to my window and says hello and apologizes for pulling me over but he just wanted to know what I was driving. My wife rolled her eyes and gave me that expression all guys know (Men and their cars!!). I eventually did get a ticket a few years later. I drive on bad city streets in Montreal now. Not the best for a performance car but will try to visit the country side whenever possible.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:30 AM
homepukes
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

You really need to drive both. I did and bought the ZO6.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:49 AM
LuvnMyC7
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got a 2014 C7 Z51. There's always that part of me that would like to get the Z06. But then, for $7,500, I put the Magnuson Supercharger on it instead. Now has the same power as the Z06. My Z51 has many custom items and I love the way it looks, so I'm sticking with it.

I will say however, I also have a Tesla. I started off with the regular version, thinking it would be fine and really it was. But it just kept nagging at me that there was something better out there. I tried to fight it off, knowing I didn't need the power and that was really the only difference. I held off for about 12 months, then finally caved and upgraded to the Performance version. Given, in a Tesla, with all wheel drive, you can actually experience the power and it is absolutely amazing. But, aside from bragging rights and showing people what 1.1 G's of acceleration feels like on occasion, I never use it. I'm glad I have it, but now there's the part of me that wonders if I should have saved the $30,000.

It really just depends on how well you know yourself. You're spending a lot of money on the car and you said you can afford either one. Is it something that's going to bug you going forward? This is a car you should absolutely love and have no regrets. So whatever you decide, just make sure you'll feel that way after you've purchased it. If it's going to bug you, then get the Z06. If you know yourself to not let that kind of thing bug you, then stick with GS. One thing for certain, based on what you said, you'll never miss having not having the power since in a RWD car, you can't use it anyway. So it's really all psychological.

Your other option is to do what I did. Buy the GS, save on insurance, then put a Supercharger on it and you'll effectively have a Z06 since the GS is otherwise pretty darn similar. Insurance won't ding you then, but you'll have warranty issues. I waited until my warranty was up to put mine on.

Decisions decisions. Hopefully the insight helps a little. Either way, you'll end up with an amazing car!

Last edited by LuvnMyC7; 12-10-2016 at 07:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 12:00 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I was pissed off after a few months of having my Stingray. I found out I was addicted to horsepower. But there is a good ending to this story. I found out I am able to retire this coming Spring, and my wife likes our Stingray so much she wants to use that as a daily driver and told me to go buy a Z06 just before we make our move down to AZ. Can you believe it? And all the houses we are looking at down there have triple garages, and they run deep. What more can I ask for? Hip hip hooray!!! Bring on the 650 HP!
Old 12-10-2016, 12:05 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by LuvnMyC7
I've got a 2014 C7 Z51. There's always that part of me that would like to get the Z06. But then, for $7,500, I put the Magnuson Supercharger on it instead. Now has the same power as the Z06. My Z51 has many custom items and I love the way it looks, so I'm sticking with it.

I will say however, I also have a Tesla. I started off with the regular version, thinking it would be fine and really it was. But it just kept nagging at me that there was something better out there. I tried to fight it off, knowing I didn't need the power and that was really the only difference. I held off for about 12 months, then finally caved and upgraded to the Performance version. Given, in a Tesla, with all wheel drive, you can actually experience the power and it is absolutely amazing. But, aside from bragging rights and showing people what 1.1 G's of acceleration feels like on occasion, I never use it. I'm glad I have it, but now there's the part of me that wonders if I should have saved the $30,000.

It really just depends on how well you know yourself. You're spending a lot of money on the car and you said you can afford either one. Is it something that's going to bug you going forward? This is a car you should absolutely love and have no regrets. So whatever you decide, just make sure you'll feel that way after you've purchased it. If it's going to bug you, then get the Z06. If you know yourself to not let that kind of thing bug you, then stick with GS. One thing for certain, based on what you said, you'll never miss having not having the power since in a RWD car, you can't use it anyway. So it's really all psychological.

Your other option is to do what I did. Buy the GS, save on insurance, then put a Supercharger on it and you'll effectively have a Z06 since the GS is otherwise pretty darn similar. Insurance won't ding you then, but you'll have warranty issues. I waited until my warranty was up to put mine on.

Decisions decisions. Hopefully the insight helps a little. Either way, you'll end up with an amazing car!
Corvette and Tesla...you have a great taste in cars, sir.

Originally Posted by joemessman
I was pissed off after a few months of having my Stingray. I found out I was addicted to horsepower. But there is a good ending to this story. I found out I am able to retire this coming Spring, and my wife likes our Stingray so much she wants to use that as a daily driver and told me to go buy a Z06 just before we make our move down to AZ. Can you believe it? And all the houses we are looking at down there have triple garages, and they run deep. What more can I ask for? Hip hip hooray!!! Bring on the 650 HP!
Have you decided on how your Z will be outfitted yet?

Last edited by sunsalem; 12-10-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:43 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Corvette and Tesla...you have a great taste in cars, sir.

Have you decided on how your Z will be outfitted yet?
Not quite yet thank you. But any suggestions would be appreciated. I know a lot is preference, but some are must haves. So don't be shy with any recommendations. Thanks again.

Last edited by joemessman; 12-10-2016 at 02:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:47 PM
Dwim
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is another article comparing the driving experience of base/GS/z06:

http://www.autotrader.com/car-review...d-sport-255904
Old 12-11-2016, 12:01 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

You can get a 2016 Z and some 2017 Z's for almost the same price as a GS these days. As for not being able to use the power on the street and acting like there is not that much difference, that's BS. I will drag race any GS and we will see the difference.

As for "bragging rights"...I'm sure some d-bags do that, but I guess I'm not one of them. I got it because it's the shi!t and amazing.

The Z06 is a street legal race car and is amazing. I had a 2011 GS and this thing is night and day when it comes to power and since the new GS is barely anymore HP than my last GS, I can say you will 100% see the difference as the new GS and the old one were pretty close in HP.

I got my Z because it was just a few grand more than a GS and I will never look back, it's amazing and I would have been pissed if I had gotten the GS, I know it. One drive in each car will tell you that...trust me.

One thing you do need to know is the insurance will be double on the Z06. If you are getting it for the looks, get a lower optioned GS and save some cash, if you want power, get the Z06.

Last edited by Garret; 12-11-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Gonzo (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 01:19 AM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
You can get a 2016 Z and some 2017 Z's for almost the same price as a GS these days.
Comparably equipped? I doubt it.
Old 12-11-2016, 02:12 AM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mpuzach
I think I would take a 1LZ Z over a fully jammed out GS.
JerriVette (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 10:16 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

You can get a 2016 Z and some 2017 Z's for almost the same price as a GS these days. As for not being able to use the power on the street and acting like there is not that much difference, that's BS. I will drag race any GS and we will see the difference.

As for "bragging rights"...I'm sure some d-bags do that, but I guess I'm not one of them. I got it because it's the shi!t and amazing.

The Z06 is a street legal race car and is amazing. I had a 2011 GS and this thing is night and day when it comes to power and since the new GS is barely anymore HP than my last GS, I can say you will 100% see the difference as the new GS and the old one were pretty close in HP.

I got my Z because it was just a few grand more than a GS and I will never look back, it's amazing and I would have been pissed if I had gotten the GS, I know it. One drive in each car will tell you that...trust me.

One thing you do need to know is the insurance will be double on the Z06. If you are getting it for the looks, get a lower optioned GS and save some cash, if you want power, get the Z06.
But is it "amazing"?
Old 12-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Garret
Race Director

Received 973 Likes on 458 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by mpuzach
It's true, I took a GS equipped the way I wanted it and ended up with a 2LZ Z06 for only 2 grand more. Now I did not get the aero package I wanted, but for another 2 grand I would have. So that is a Z06 for 4 grand more. The issue is the GS is a base of what, 66K and after you add a few things you are already up to 75-80....that is Z06 range these days.

Originally Posted by jcsperson
But is it "amazing"?
It's twice as amazing ....see what I did there...lol
Old 12-11-2016, 11:29 AM
l2vette
Melting Slicks

Received 226 Likes on 167 Posts

No second thoughts here, get the Z06 and you will never look back.
It is the top dog!!
Old 12-11-2016, 12:05 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Friendly guy
I'm 67 years old. Once I was young and aggressive and had a very fast car at 18. I never got a ticket, never caused an accident, never hurt anyone, never had any problems....and I sometimes really really really enjoyed the car and the power. You have self knowledge. That is very rare and valuable. Keep listening to what it tells you. You will have fun all your life and not make the idiotic mistakes so many make. ps. I just got a Stingray. It's the fastest car I've ever owned. I love it. The 650hp is for bragging rights or a race track. The 460 cannot be used safely and legally in most situations. Back when I was young people would make fun of me because I avoided reckless behavior. Several times had the opportunity to visit some of these heroes in the hospital after their wipe out. Two guys I knew didn't make it to the hospital. Their Chevelle 396 ended up wrapped around a tree and the big block engine in between the bucket seats. One thing I like about over powered cars is that they require restraint and self control. I know the power is there, that I could use it, but that I don't have to. A person will either understand this or not. Have fun.
I just turned 64. I've owned some very fast cars - my last a 2009 Z06. I currently have two stupid fast, and one just really fast motorcycles. Two of my motorcycles will leave a Z06 for dead in the quarter mile.

I've been a speed freak all my life. But I'm also one who is quite good at using the speed I have under the right conditions and I respect it. I road raced motorcycles for a few years, and have drag raced and autocross most of the Corvettes I've had a few times.

I've crashed one car in my life that was my fault. I got in over my head going around a turn, and likely hit a little gravel (maybe ) in a 1979 RX-7 Mazda that had......wait for it.....100 horsepower!

I take my bikes, and did so in my Corvettes as well, out to the back roads outside of Houston many times. The Corvettes usually went out early Sunday morning. I always ran them hard and saw speeds I'd rather not even talk about. But one rule - visibility must be very good, and if another vehicle comes the other way I back off - every time.

The point is that depending on where you live and what type of roads you have to drive in your area, the speed can be safely used. I still do every weekend on my motorcycles.

I respect people like yourself. But to say it can't be done safely is not always true.
The following 3 users liked this post by jschindler:
23/C8Z (12-11-2016), joemessman (12-11-2016), sunsalem (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:31 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

It's true, I took a GS equipped the way I wanted it and ended up with a 2LZ Z06 for only 2 grand more. Now I did not get the aero package I wanted, but for another 2 grand I would have. So that is a Z06 for 4 grand more. The issue is the GS is a base of what, 66K and after you add a few things you are already up to 75-80....that is Z06 range these days.
Apples to apples the LT4 is going to cost you about 14 grand no matter how you slice it.

It's twice as amazing ....see what I did there...lol
But is it three times as amazing? You've got three "amazings" in there.

Last edited by jcsperson; 12-11-2016 at 01:11 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:43 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

I went through a similar internal debate once the Grand Sport was announced. The rational voice debating whether or not I "need" 650 HP vs. 460HP. I guess I don't "need" either one and could by a Hyundai Elantra, but that's not why we're here is it?

I'm now committed to buying a 2017 Z06 and the only thing that's going to prevent or delay that move is if they announce something in January associated with the release of the ZR1 or whatever the test mule is that we're expecting. If they indicate that any of the performance improvements will trickle into other Corvette models in 2018, I may wait, however if they don't and this ZR1 or Z06X track beast with the rear wing is what it is, I'm still moving forward with a street-ready Z06 as is.

My thinking is that this may be the last chance in my lifetime to order a new, rear-drive, manual transmission, V8, 650 HP Corvette and I don't want to miss it.

Last edited by MSG C5; 12-11-2016 at 01:11 PM.
23/C8Z (12-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport vs Z06 - 2nd thoughts

Old 12-11-2016, 12:45 PM
OLD_GOAT
Drifting

Received 396 Likes on 169 Posts

If I'm paying close to the same money, I'm driving the big dog Z06 home.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I think I would take a 1LZ Z over a fully jammed out GS.
Same here! I have seen GS's loaded to the gills listing for over 95K. Yet one can get a discounted '17 1LZ Z06 ( no options) for around 72K.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:48 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The issue is the GS is a base of what, 66K and after you add a few things you are already up to 75-80....that is Z06 range these days.
That is the entire thing right there.
All of these threads and questions about whether to go to for the GS or the Z really comes down to that.
Of course, that's assuming the performance differences between the 2 cars are already known to the perspective buyer.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport vs Z06 - 2nd thoughts