C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My local dealer is really jerking me around with service.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Received 490 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by DickieDoo
My dealer will tell me in advance if the work is a big job or not. It should not be that hard to tell, i believe that all the hours for work is pre-calculated so they should know this out of the gate... but there is always un-foreseen issues that can happen.
Good thing THEY noticed the water pump, and fixed it... otherwise you would have had another overheat !
How badly an overheat issue did you have, aluminum engines do not take kindly to overheats. Maybe you need more warranty
This is my second overheat/water pump issue. Two new water pumps. My engine has overheated not quite to warning a few times and warning twice. Should I ask for an compression check for warped heads?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ls3zob
Bill, can you address my comment above regarding replacement of the AC compressor? Does it require dropping the front subframe? I'm terrified to get this done if it does require this as so much can be screwed up in the long-run if I get a careless tech.
Thanks
I asked for an alignment.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:52 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,105 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sometimes water pump leaks aren't all that easy to find. I had one on my C6 that the dealer and I chased for 2 months until I had the car up on my lift to do track prep on it. I had put the car on the lift the day before and left the car overnight. The next morning I started working on and under the car. When I took a lunch break there was no evidence of a leak. A half hour later I came back to the car and sat on my stool and saw a puddle of coolant directly below the front of the engine. The front stabilizer bar was wet and the back of the pump was soaking wet. It took about 18 hours after I had stopped the engine for the leak to make it self known. All I had before that was a coolant smell.

Bill
My Caddie 3.6L DI CTS wagon engine water pump was leaking for 18 months without exterior signs of leakage. Just a slow loss of coolant from the system over time. Had me worried that I had a head gasket leak. It finally got bad enough that it puddled on the ground and that's when I had it replaced under warranty.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:59 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Probably nothing originally wrong the the OP's AC until they misdiagnosed and started taking things apart. If the car gets too hot or even if it takes too long to warm up, the AC stops as part of a fail safe.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:05 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by F4 Phantom
This is my second overheat/water pump issue. Two new water pumps. My engine has overheated not quite to warning a few times and warning twice. Should I ask for an compression check for warped heads?
Did they ever try a different thermostat before replacing water pumps?
Old 12-09-2016, 09:20 AM
Curahee
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

[QUOTE=F4 Phantom;1593619 I smell a rat. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

GM Customer Service used to monitor this forum for problems like this.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:58 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,062 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I asked for an alignment.
Since you don't show a location on your profile, would you mind naming the dealer and city? I sure don't want to visit that dealer if it's here in my town.

Elmer
The following users liked this post:
probono (12-10-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 10:16 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAFFYDRUNK
Did they ever try a different thermostat before replacing water pumps?
I don't know. I'll ask.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:18 AM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
Since you don't show a location on your profile, would you mind naming the dealer and city? I sure don't want to visit that dealer if it's here in my town.

Elmer
It's not in your town. It's in the LA area.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 12-09-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:00 AM
bjones7131
Safety Car

Received 845 Likes on 592 Posts

They may have screwed up the first water pump install and saw the leak while addressing the compressor replacement. After you get fixed up U will get a dealership survey so then you can give them some constructive feedback. GM and the dealerships do not like bad feedback. My service manager told me negative feedback affected his and his tech. yrly raise/increase.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:38 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

It's not in your town. It's in the LA area.
Do you mean Los Angeles or Louisiana.

I have never figured out why folks are slow to put there location down. Much of what we talk about here is location important. Yet over half of us don't have the location down.
The following 2 users liked this post by pkincy:
probono (12-09-2016), Tron1 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:56 PM
Micster
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pkincy

I have never figured out why folks are slow to put there location down. Much of what we talk about here is location important. Yet over half of us don't have the location down.
I'm puzzled by that as well? I'm a very private person, but have no misgivings about publicizing my location. What am I/ are we missing here?
The following users liked this post:
probono (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 04:58 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pkincy

Los Angeles and laziness.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

I got my car back just now. The compressor alone was $1,554, $1,713 with the loaner car. I don 't know how much the water pump was. Boy, am I glad I bought the extended warranty. Does anyone know how much the water pump would have cost me out of warranty?

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 12-09-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ls3zob
I can't say how someone supposedly trained and certified couldn't see a leaking water pump, but as far as the compressor, my understanding from a mechanic friend of mine is that the front cradle needs to be dropped as the location of the compressor is the problem. This means that your front suspension will be taken apart and reassembled, meaning make sure your car feels straight and smooth afterwards. They will have to do an alignment.
Could you please confirm that I'm correct about the front subframe being dropped to access the compressor with your dealer OP? I may have a compressor issue myself to address next spring.
I can't tell you about how the compressor is accessed, but I picked my car up yesterday afternoon and the front end is out of alignment. The car pulls to the right. I have to take it back in Monday morning. This is getting very old!
Old 12-12-2016, 03:24 PM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 350 Likes on 205 Posts

My service advisor is an IDIOT!
I remember my '87 Grand National... had a knocking noise in the front end. Turned out to be a loose tie rod (thank you 80's GM quality) so they fixed it and did an alignment at my request. The service adviser wanted to charge me for the alignment (the other repair was under warranty) and I said no. I called over the service manager and had the SA ask him, in front of me, if the tie rod had anything to do with alignment. "Hell yes," he said. I just smiled.

Some SAs are former mechanics and know their stuff. Others are people who couldn't cut it in the parts department, or didn't have the people skills to be a salesperson. They're fine for writing up an order for an oil change, but not much more than that.

Anyway, I hope everythign gets settled once you get that alignment taken care of. Best of luck!
Old 12-12-2016, 03:29 PM
F4 Phantom
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by yeller z06
I remember my '87 Grand National... had a knocking noise in the front end. Turned out to be a loose tie rod (thank you 80's GM quality) so they fixed it and did an alignment at my request. The service adviser wanted to charge me for the alignment (the other repair was under warranty) and I said no. I called over the service manager and had the SA ask him, in front of me, if the tie rod had anything to do with alignment. "Hell yes," he said. I just smiled.

Some SAs are former mechanics and know their stuff. Others are people who couldn't cut it in the parts department, or didn't have the people skills to be a salesperson. They're fine for writing up an order for an oil change, but not much more than that.

Anyway, I hope everything gets settled once you get that alignment taken care of. Best of luck!
Thanks. I got my front end aligned this morning. I can take my hands off the wheel on the freeway and it goes in a straight line. At least this whole thing has cost me nothing.

Last edited by F4 Phantom; 12-12-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 03:44 PM
Micster
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Yay, love happy endings.

Quick Reply: My local dealer is really jerking me around with service.