Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some basic safety features would be nice

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 03:05 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

If you just wait awhile I'm sure the Corvette will incorporate self-driving capabilities and you won't have to worry all these nagging inconveniences.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:07 PM
LimeRay
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 188 Posts

Solar,

I agree with you, it is 2017, these items could easily be integrated. GM is cheap.

MC
Old 12-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by solarstingray
if chevy is looking at this we would like these options !! especially on a 60k plus car you can get on a hyunda elantra !! Maybe a Hyundai would perform as well as a Corvette. Maybe you should about getting one. I would suggest there are just as well equipped GM cars that are better.

power folding mirrors !!
these mirrors stick way out when parking in your garage

Not sure why this is a safety issue. I haven't found it to be a problem in my garage even though my wife parks too close to the Vette.

blind spot inicators
car has big blind spots and tiny windows,

Blind spot indicators would be nice since it is harder to see with those side mirrors that really don't stick out all that far and could be a little larger.

adaptive cruise control for automatic cars,

automtaic braking, im sure the sensors are already in place

If you have ever had an automatic brake system false alarm you might not want to pay for something that may not work all that well. As far as I am concerned the technology requires a little more development before I spend any more money on it.

better carpet, it looks like it came from home depot

[B]Not sure what the carpet has to do with safety features. Also, not sure that carpet from Home Depot is all that bad. As far as I can tell the carpet in the car meets the proper quality requirements. Consistent color, rugged and easy to clean. Made to last. I have had cut pile carpet in other cars and although it looks more luxurious it has its issues from a durability/cleaning standpoint.[B]

other then that car hauls a$$ => LOL

any other missing features ??
Bill
Old 12-08-2016, 03:47 PM
plasboy
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by solarstingray
keep in mind all these safety feature can be defeated if you so choose to.

im pretty sure the next generation c8 will have them for sure,

the c7 is still an incredible car,i cant think of any sports car with almost 500 hp and gets 30mpg, but why not make it that much better?

i would like to add active bending headlights also it would be nice to see around turns at night, =>

also you could choose what features you like maybe add them to the lt3 model or a optional safety package you can add,
I'd just as soon not have all the extra crap. Just more stuff go go wrong. Can't get the hvac on ours to work correctly and no one can or will figure out what to do. Have the active headlights on our Caddy and am not that impressed.
Hope they leave the Corvette where it's at for features. Now if they would just make it where cell phones wouldn't work when the car is moving.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:49 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,921 Likes on 4,807 Posts

Originally Posted by LimeRay
Solar,

I agree with you, it is 2017, these items could easily be integrated. GM is cheap.

MC
No the consumers are cheap and unrealistic. They want all the features, options all for free because they bought a 60k sportscar.
Old 12-08-2016, 06:50 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,123 Likes on 560 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
I agree, but when the engineers build this car they look at weight, even down to the carpeting material! So I think that is why some of those features are not included.
If weight is an issue, why is there all that stuff to accommodate the stoopid electric doors?
Old 12-08-2016, 08:25 PM
DSOMDream
Burning Brakes

Received 226 Likes on 166 Posts

I remember when Vettes did not have radio controls on the steering wheel because Vette owners are high performance drivers and controls on the wheel would only "distract" from the enjoyment of a true sports car. Tadge, there is no excuse for no lane departure warning. Paul
Old 12-08-2016, 09:02 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Until the crash-avoidance systems quit using police-band radar, I don't want them on my car at all.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:12 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by defaria

If you set your mirrors properly there are no blind spots.

Oh jees, not this again.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:35 AM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
"Bubba"? Seriously?? LOL

There's no antagonism here. I am curious, however. Where are all these competitors that have the Corvette's power, chassis, and handling levels, AND all the gadgets that the OP wanted, all for a comparable price? Surely they are out-selling the C7, and would be worthy of a look.

A fully loaded new Camaro 2SS, for example. Same numbers(the car actually feels stronger tbh) and waaaaayyyy more "creature comforts", all at about $45k. So yeah, not only is it possible, but you can pay less and get more in terms of performance AND gadgets.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:57 AM
fumbling
Pro

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMDream
I remember when Vettes did not have radio controls on the steering wheel because Vette owners are high performance drivers and controls on the wheel would only "distract" from the enjoyment of a true sports car. Tadge, there is no excuse for no lane departure warning. Paul
Lane departure warning is the most annoying feature I can imagine.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 AM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Don't need these 'safety' features. I like the carpet better than what is in my 2014 Cruze - doesn't show much dirt and when it does, it cleans up better.

However, I don't see why the OP's suggestions couldn't be offered as individual, extra cost, options for those that want them. But to say that these should automatically be on a car because it is in the high-dollar arena is a naive approach to how these vehicles are costed out. If you absolutely have to have these features, you should have to pay for them and not force them on those who don't need or want them.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:06 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
A fully loaded new Camaro 2SS, for example. Same numbers(the car actually feels stronger tbh) and waaaaayyyy more "creature comforts", all at about $45k. So yeah, not only is it possible, but you can pay less and get more in terms of performance AND gadgets.

Sorry, but the Camaro and the Corvette are NOT even in the same class. One is a low cost sedan with a big motor option and the other is a purpose built sports car. It doesn't take much examination of the engineering to tell which is which.

However, if having that higher level of engineering means nothing to you, and you like the Camaro better than a Corvette, that's totally your choice. You can save thousands by going with the "just as good for you" Camaro.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:42 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

Default Thoughts of a Corvette owner

I love my '15 SG, 3LT, base Coupe, perceived shortfalls and all. Its got pretty much all I want. I do miss one thing and miss it bad. For the first year that baby was BRAND NEW, I mean brand spanking new, latest, greatest, best looking car on the street, at least in my part of the country. Now its not new, its a 2 year old car, 20k on the odometer. Still a thrill, still drop dead gorgeous, just not new.

The C7 Corvette sits in 2 overlapping niche markets in my opinion, bad *** race ready sports car and luxury sports car. Same body, mostly, same engine, mostly. To do that GM made some compromises to performance, creature comforts, and luxury appointments. Not everybody gets what they want. As the option list grows so does cost. I'm not saying shut up and drive, though that seems somehow appropriate, I'm saying let GM know what you want but keep it in perspective. Tadge says every option is judged by its value in enhancing the driver experience, or something like that.

GM has considered many options and chose not to adopt some of them for the Corvette. Tadge said in a past Ask Tadge post that the blind spot sensors need to be placed where the trans and diff coolers are located in the rear. The coolers won the spot. But eventually they'll get it worked in. Another option is lane departure. Wifey's Nissan has it. I find it annoying because it goes off if you even begin to hug the line in a curve, and we live on a curvy mountain road. Sometimes when Wifey calls me from her car I hear the lane departure warning going off and I'll say "Stay in your lane, dear". As for these two being basic safety features I guess they are in today's car market. No matter how attentive a driver you are you will eventually make a mistake and miss something in that properly adjusted mirror. I don't believe in perfection in the human endeavor. I'm sure they both serve a purpose but I'm not sure I want them on my Vette. I'm just sayin'.

Other options get mentioned on posts like this with replies of "Go buy XYZ car if you want that". Well, that is an option for some. I see two camps of Corvette owners. Those who drive all kinds of cars and switch brands for choices of their own. And there's the dedicated Corvette owner, someone who owns one "must have" Corvette as well as other brands more utilitarian and there's those who have a stable of Corvettes. Those of us in the must have category generally suck it up and go burn a rubber offering to the men and women who designed and built this awesome sports car.

Drive and Wave
Old 12-09-2016, 08:33 AM
vettman96
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

The C8 will have an autonomous driving mode, hands off and wave at everyone, ugh!
Old 12-09-2016, 08:41 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

It's all subjective, but I like our rear view mirrors. If you adjust them correctly they are really good for the blind spots. Best mirrors I have had for that purpose.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:49 AM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

im pretty sure we will see some of these features in the new c8,

adaptive cruise control
blind spot indicators
power folding mirrors "not safety related"
active bending headlights
automatic braking
etc etc

it would be great if it was a added package or on the 3lts

even with those items our cars are still pretty hardcore sports cars and i dont think any of those features will effect its preformance,

self driving ?? no thanks, !!

Last edited by solarstingray; 12-09-2016 at 08:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (12-09-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To Some basic safety features would be nice

Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 AM
yeller z06
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
... this despite the fact that the competition, e.g. Jaguar (blind spot indicators) and Porsche (folding mirrors) has managed to implement some of them.
And how much does a Porsche or Jaguar cost?

Nothing is free. Sure, you can argue that a blind spot sensor only cost about $50, but you've got to integrate that into everything else, and there has to be some kind of computer that controls it, and all of the costs associated with that, and of course, the weight of all of this stuff (sensors, wires, computers) does truly add up.

I think the OP misnamed it as "safety features" since folding mirrors and nice carpet certainly don't apply.

And while I'm on a rant.... the C7 comes with ApplePlay and Android Auto standard, neither available (last I heard) on Porsche. Folding mirrors on a 911? Requires packages that cost thousands.

It's all about marketing, and one of Chevrolet's strongest marketing points is the value equation. No car meets Corvette's level of performance for the money.

And yes, I've owned 5 Porsche 911s.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:02 AM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

yeller it can be an option the buyer can add,

doesnt effect the bottom dollar price,

a buyer can choose not to have it as a option,

isnt a heads up display a safety feature ? also an option if you dont want it,

Originally Posted by yeller z06
And how much does a Porsche or Jaguar cost?

Nothing is free. Sure, you can argue that a blind spot sensor only cost about $50, but you've got to integrate that into everything else, and there has to be some kind of computer that controls it, and all of the costs associated with that, and of course, the weight of all of this stuff (sensors, wires, computers) does truly add up.

I think the OP misnamed it as "safety features" since folding mirrors and nice carpet certainly don't apply.

And while I'm on a rant.... the C7 comes with ApplePlay and Android Auto standard, neither available (last I heard) on Porsche. Folding mirrors on a 911? Requires packages that cost thousands.

It's all about marketing, and one of Chevrolet's strongest marketing points is the value equation. No car meets Corvette's level of performance for the money.

And yes, I've owned 5 Porsche 911s.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:47 AM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
The "loop-pile" carpet is an omage to the carpets used in the original Stingrays....that was the style in the 60s.

I bet they will add autonomous anti-collision braking in 2018 or 2019.....
Love the loop pile carpet.
Remember that carpet in the 60's GM cars. It was very durable by the way.

Quick Reply: Some basic safety features would be nice