Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some basic safety features would be nice

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 11:10 AM
fugly1
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 172 Posts

Oops. I thought this was a vette forum. Must have clicked the wrong button.
The following 2 users liked this post by fugly1:
Eff A Ford (12-09-2016), joemessman (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 01:47 PM
T_B
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
Sorry, but the Camaro and the Corvette are NOT even in the same class. One is a low cost sedan with a big motor option and the other is a purpose built sports car. It doesn't take much examination of the engineering to tell which is which.

However, if having that higher level of engineering means nothing to you, and you like the Camaro better than a Corvette, that's totally your choice. You can save thousands by going with the "just as good for you" Camaro.
Sorry but maybe you had trouble comprehending my post. The guy asked for a car that has the same power as the Vette AND the gadgets that the OP wanted, as if no such thing existed. I pointed out the fact that not only do they exist, even Chevrolet has one in their lineup(same numbers as the Stingray and even feels peppier) ... so no need to act like the corvette is in some elite league of its own. All you are doing is paying extra for a more "exclusive" styling.

My Camaro was just as powerful, if not moreso than my Vette. It also had lane change indicators, rear sensors, side mirror defrosters .. etc. All for a car that costed almost $20k less. OH and it handled far better too.

Also, the new ZL1 would eat up most Corvettes that are in the same price range ... ALL DAY. "higher level of engineering" lol, get real.
Old 12-09-2016, 01:58 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

You had me going there for a while, right up until your stuff about a Camaro "handling far better" and having more power (despite the same engine), and that the Corvette's main advantage over the Camaro was "exclusive" styling... good one! LOL

Originally Posted by T_B
Sorry but maybe you had trouble comprehending my post. The guy asked for a car that has the same power as the Vette AND the gadgets that the OP wanted, as if no such thing existed. I pointed out the fact that not only do they exist, even Chevrolet has one in their lineup(same numbers as the Stingray and even feels peppier) ... so no need to act like the corvette is in some elite league of its own. All you are doing is paying extra for a more "exclusive" styling.

My Camaro was just as powerful, if not moreso than my Vette. It also had lane change indicators, rear sensors, side mirror defrosters .. etc. All for a car that costed almost $20k less. OH and it handled far better too.

Also, the new ZL1 would eat up most Corvettes that are in the same price range ... ALL DAY. "higher level of engineering" lol, get real.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:25 PM
T_B
Instructor

Oh i said the Camaro has more power? cool thanks. Also lol at you for thinking the same motor means means both cars must put down identical numbers. What are you 12? Anyway, MY Camaro was definitely stronger than my Vette, put up better numbers at the strip and better 0-60 times on a regular basis.

Also, yes far better handling(6th gen Camaro SS). I've owned both cars, and anyone that has driven both will tell you the same thing. Also, the car sounds better, has stock tri-y headers(which the vette doesnt have), better cooling system etc. I can without a doubt say that the 6th gen 2ss is without a doubt a better car than the base/z51 Stingrays. And it costs much less.

LIke i said, all you are doing is paying for the "exclusive" styling.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Originally Posted by T_B
Oh i said the Camaro has more power? cool thanks.
T_B: "My Camaro was just as powerful, if not moreso than my Vette"

Originally Posted by T_B
Also lol at you for thinking the same motor means means both cars must put down identical numbers. What are you 12?
Perhaps you've heard of the SAE ratings for engines? Yeah, it pretty much says that if GM says the LT1 is at 455 HP for Corvettes and 455HP for Camaros, then, yeah, that's exactly what it means, even to us 12 year olds.

Originally Posted by T_B
Anyway, MY Camaro was definitely stronger than my Vette, put up better numbers at the strip and better 0-60 times on a regular basis.
Camaro -- same HP but literally hundreds of pounds more weight than the Corvette, and you got better strip times with the Camaro? Perhaps it wasn't the car?

Originally Posted by T_B
Also, yes far better handling(6th gen Camaro SS). I've owned both cars, and anyone that has driven both will tell you the same thing. Also, the car sounds better, has stock tri-y headers(which the vette doesnt have), better cooling system etc. I can without a doubt say that the 6th gen 2ss is without a doubt a better car than the base/z51 Stingrays. And it costs much less.
I have yet to read any objective test between the two cars that favors the Camaro SS handling over the Corvette Z51, but I suppose there may be someone somewhere that thinks it is so... but I certainly believe that you think it is so.

So when are you trading your C7 back for a Camaro?

Last edited by Kent1999; 12-09-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:18 PM
TyBoo
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 241 Posts

Oh yeah?!? If the Camaro is so much better then why did they have to copy the Corvette tail lights?

That's my 12yo contribution to this thread.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:48 PM
FLATJ
Pro

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts

Soon enough your choices will be self-driving cars or public transportation. Enjoy yourselves while it's still legal! If you want doodads, buy doodads!

Last edited by FLATJ; 12-09-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:03 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Completely happy w/my Z. A few additional creature comfronts and safety features would be nice, but certainly not complaining, however, those who do is equivalent to insulting a family member on this forum, which is entertaining
Old 12-09-2016, 04:34 PM
T_B
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kent1999

Perhaps you've heard of the SAE ratings for engines? Yeah, it pretty much says that if GM says the LT1 is at 455 HP for Corvettes and 455HP for Camaros, then, yeah, that's exactly what it means, even to us 12 year olds.

You think i was talking about what the HP ratings for the cars are? Must have completely flown over your head. What i was clearly implying is that a car that has the SAME(5hp difference on paper) ENGINE AND HP/TQ puts up better numbers. You think i dont know what the HP numbers/ratings are for each car when i said i've owned both? So you're saying if we dyno a few Stingrays right now, they are all going to give you the same exact numbers? Yeah, im not even going to bother anymore.

And just for the heck of it, here's some food for thought ...

http://jalopnik.com/holy-****-dyno-t...-po-1747436409

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars...-the-corvette/
Old 12-12-2016, 11:58 AM
sharpseadog
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Safety Items

Originally Posted by solarstingray
if chevy is looking at this we would like these options !! especially on a 60k plus car you can get on a hyunda elantra !!

power folding mirrors !!
these mirrors stick way out when parking in your garage

blind spot inicators
car has big blind spots and tiny windows,

adaptive cruise control for automatic cars,

automtaic braking, im sure the sensors are already in place

better carpet, it looks like it came from home depot
other then that car hauls a$$ => LOL any other missing features ??
The only really important safety item is the blind spot monitors. They are desperately needed on the verts. Adaptive cruise control would also be really nice. My 2015 lacks the nose camera and I would have liked to have that. I'm not keen on the after market nose cameras, but I would probably spring for after market replacement mirrors with built in blind spot monitors if they were available. Does anyone know of if they Are? 🦁
Old 12-12-2016, 12:16 PM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by solarstingray
your not getting the point,

these are basic items a car should have at this price point,
No, these are features that add weight to a sports car. This is counter to its design goal.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:44 PM
ZMan64
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fsvoboda
Cadillac makes high-performance cars with most of the features suggested by OP, but they fit a different niche in the market. Perhaps by the time of the next generation Corvette some of these features also will make sense. They likely will not be added to an already-engineered vehicle like C7.

Agree. I recently came over to the Corvette community after owning two gen 2 CTS-V's (coupe & sedan), and while they certainly are very different from vettes I still can think of no valid reason for not incorporating some of the their standard features on the C7. The weight savings argument carries only so much weight (no pun intended) too, as many of the safety options don't add much to the overall weight, and would have minimal/no noticeable effect on performance. Really, these are not "cheap" vehicles, and like has already been said, GM needs to keep up with other makers or risk losing customers. Just my .02
Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Trash
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
The primary reason that there are no "blind spot indicators", "adaptive cruise control" and "automatic braking" is aesthetic. Many people don't want the radar emitters/sensors stuck all over the front and rear fascia. Contrary to your assertion, there are no sensors "already in place". Yes, their are curb cameras, but those do not provide the information needed for the things you are asking for.
The sensors don't have to be visible. Mercedes blind spot radar is completely invisible. Just food for thought.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:00 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Blind spot indicators, the only one I wouldn't mind seeing, everything else, including this one actually, a good driver can do without.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:01 PM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Power folding mirrors are stupid.
Blind spot indicators are gimmicky as hell. Use your eyes
Adaptive cruise control - yeah, lets make radar detectors pointless.
Automatic braking? That's what you're there for!
Home depot has some great carpet! haha

Did you not look at the car before you purchased it?? Do your research.
I have many gripes with the car. It being unsafe, isn't one of them.
The following users liked this post:
Eff A Ford (12-12-2016)

Quick Reply: Some basic safety features would be nice