C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my battery is going dead...

Old 12-10-2016, 11:51 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

i sometimes deal with this in my 16 Jeep GC. my samsung phone interferes with the RF signal. if the fob is behind the phone in my pocket it's hit or miss. the vette did it to me ONCE in last two months of ownership. just a thought
Old 12-10-2016, 11:52 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Mythird1
Interesting....I read the warranty information in the manual and I thought it said the battery was only warranted for 12 months, not 36 months. Based on your comment and some others I guess I should check again. :-)
Good point. I have to say though, sometimes the dealers don't even understand the terms of the warranty. I got 3 free oil changes on my wet sump car and it was supposed to be 2. When I picked my car up for the 3rd one and was ready to pay for it. When he handed my key over he said "OK Joe, that's the last free one". I said...............OK see ya later.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:57 AM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
i sometimes deal with this in my 16 Jeep GC. my samsung phone interferes with the RF signal. if the fob is behind the phone in my pocket it's hit or miss. the vette did it to me ONCE in last two months of ownership. just a thought
Thanks, but my fob was in my hand right next to the door handle and nothing in between.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:02 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Fob open...

It took a little doing but I finally got the fob open.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Still no luck...

I changed both fob batteries and I still can't unlock the car. I'm going to use the emergency key to unlock it via the hatch....put up with the alarm blasting until I can either start the car or turn it off. Then I can disable any passive locking settings (which I should have done earlier) so I can at least get in and out of the car to determine if my battery really is going dead. And, of course, it's Saturday and the dealer is closed (under warranty), so I'll have to wait until Monday which means I'll have to cancel golf....oh the humanity.....LOL

I wonder if roadside assistance would honor my warranty if they have to come out and replace the battery? Anyone know?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:07 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

I changed both fob batteries and I still can't unlock the car. I'm going to use the emergency key to unlock it via the hatch....put up with the alarm blasting until I can either start the car or turn it off. Then I can disable any passive locking settings (which I should have done earlier) so I can at least get in and out of the car to determine if my battery really is going dead. And, of course, it's Saturday and the dealer is closed (under warranty), so I'll have to wait until Monday which means I'll have to cancel golf....oh the humanity.....LOL

I wonder if roadside assistance would honor my warranty if they havcome out and replace the battery? Anyone know?
When my battery died they dispatched a truck. Driver jump started my car. I drove to the dealer. Dealer tested the battery and said it passed. That was 6 months ago. I use my CTEK religiously now.

Last edited by rmorin1249; 12-10-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Randy G.
Race Director

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
My 15 Jeep GC deoes the same thing. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Regarding the door not opening I doubt it's the car battery. More likely the FOB. It takes a heck of a lot more amperage to start the car than it does to unlock a door, and I don't see any complaints here about how slow the starter is turning the engine over or that it won't start.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Only getting worse....

This is getting ridiculous. Both remotes don't work so I used the emergency key and the fob in the steering column to start the car. It really doesn't seem to be the car battery but now, when I shut it down (fobs still don't work) the headlights and tail lights stay on and I can get them to turn off. I have to call roadside assistance but I'm not sure they can help me wit this particular issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going back to the manual to seek a solution. This is nuts....

Update: Guess it pays to RTFM (read the f^&*n manual). I figured out how to turn the lights off. I'm 99% sure this isn't a main battery issue so I'm going to replace the fob batteries once more to see if maybe they were dead to begin with....

Last edited by Myfourth1; 12-10-2016 at 05:25 PM. Reason: added info
Old 12-10-2016, 05:34 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

This is getting ridiculous. Both remotes don't work so I used the emergency key and the fob in the steering column to start the car. It really doesn't seem to be the car battery but now, when I shut it down (fobs still don't work) the headlights and tail lights stay on and I can get them to turn off. I have to call roadside assistance but I'm not sure they can help me wit this particular issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going back to the manual to seek a solution. This is nuts....

Update: Guess it pays to RTFM (read the f^&*n manual). I figured out how to turn the lights off. I'm 99% sure this isn't a main battery issue so I'm going to replace the fob batteries once more to see if maybe they were dead to begin with....
Just a guess here, but is it possible something happened with your FOB programming so that the Vette no longer recognizes your FOBs?
Old 12-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Default Success at last...

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Just a guess here, but is it possible something happened with your FOB programming so that the Vette no longer recognizes your FOBs?
Nope....it's what we used to call in the IT business...."User Error".....lol

After screwing around with the fobs and battery and settings on the car it all came down to user error. There's nothing wrong with the car battery. It was the dead fob batteries after all. However, the idiot (ME) inserted the fob batteries backwards. Once I reinserted them correctly (FYI...they go in + side down), the fobs worked as designed. Yes, I am an idiot. But at least I didn't have to call roadside assistance and really be embarrassed.

I think the drinking lamp is lit after all of this. And I can go play golf on Monday. Hope everyone enjoyed my tale of woes and you all have a great weekend and Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Myfourth1; 12-10-2016 at 06:07 PM. Reason: changed text
The following 5 users liked this post by Myfourth1:
Bavaria (12-12-2016), OzarkCorvetteGuy (12-19-2016), pkincy (12-19-2016), z edge (02-01-2017), Z06LUST (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:38 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Thanks for the update!!! Been there, done that-although not with a fob but with other aspects of life. Some days it just ain't your day. Go have a drink and enjoy your golf game on Monday!!

Last edited by Z06LUST; 12-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Myfourth1 (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 08:44 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Glad you got it figured out. When my battery died, and it did die, why I don't know as the dealer told me that these C7s are so smart they won't kill the battery even if you leave your lights on and everything else. The car shuts down everything after about 10 minutes. But all I know is that when I got home from the Bash last year I parked my car in the garage and 3 days later the battery was completely dead. After the dealer charged and tested it, everything has been fine. Who knows?

Last edited by rmorin1249; 12-10-2016 at 08:44 PM.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:13 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

For the last few mornings, when I attempt to open the door on my 2014 C7 it won't open. I have to press the unlock button my fob to open it. When I drive to where I'm going and exit the car it locks automatically as designed. When I return a few minutes or a few hours later, I have no problem opening the door without using the fob in my pocket. The next morning the same thing happens again. I haven't changed any settings and in AZ batteries typically last around 3 years. I plan to take it to Chevy to test the battery. I may just replace the battery so I don't get stuck somewhere. Anyone else experience this problem?

PS...I drive the car daily so I have no need for a battery tender.
FWIW, had the same problem, door would not open with hand-hold, had to press the FOB. Happened a few times then early this week it would not start and the message said no key present etc! Had to put it in the hole on the column!

Car battery was fine so checked the FOB battery that had been replaced 1 1/2 years ago. Of interest, I have a battery tester that loads the battery depending on the voltage. The battery needle moved to the G in good but a new battery, which I had, it moved to the 2nd "O" in good! Swapped with the new battery and all is fine.

Last edited by JerryU; 12-11-2016 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:49 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Battery

Interesting....I read the warranty information in the manual and I thought it said the battery was only warranted for 12 months, not 36 months. Based on your comment and some others I guess I should check again. :-)
2 years 10 months old and it worked for Me last Monday....now the
replacement Delco they said is only guaranteed for 1 year..
Old 12-10-2016, 11:00 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I wonder if roadside assistance would honor my warranty if they have to come out and replace the battery? Anyone know?
Probably not, RSA has a couple of tow truck outfits that they use, none are versed in how to change a battery or carry spares with them, they will if anything tow it to the nearest GM dealership.
Old 12-10-2016, 11:01 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
This is the least likely scenario.

Fobs never randomly become unprogrammed. It takes very specific steps, which take over a half hour to make your recognized fobs become unrecognizable.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:51 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
Probably not, RSA has a couple of tow truck outfits that they use, none are versed in how to change a battery or carry spares with them, they will if anything tow it to the nearest GM dealership.
WORD OF CAUTION: Not as easy to change the battery as in the past. I had a low voltage in my C7 since new. The car is 39 months old so replaced it as a precaution before this winter with a DieHard AGM battery that was on sale. These are some of the issues:

First, a tow truck operator, even if just coming to jump start the car, has a good chance of ripping the carpet as it is removed! A post mentioned a dealer did that. I suggest popping off the lower clips on the plastic wheel well cover before trying to pull out the carpet. The clip is ~3 inches from the floor and comes off easily, even with your fingers.

Second, there is a large power board attached to the positive recessed terminal. The battery must have the OEM recessed top configuration to fit the board, an Optima, for example, will not fit the board. Also there are clips that hold the power board to the battery top that are not obvious as to where they are located!

Third, the battery is in a very tight recess. You need a tool to grab and remove it. There is no room for your hands.

FWIW

Last edited by JerryU; 12-11-2016 at 03:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Myfourth1 (12-11-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To I think my battery is going dead...

Old 12-11-2016, 01:29 PM
Rossi6998
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KWC6
I don't trust a battery more than 3 years. I would get to my dealer or shop and replace it.
Completely agree... I change my car battery every three years whether it needs it or not.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:59 AM
air86
Burning Brakes

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

Did a forum search and came to this so it saves me from creating a new thread. Here it goes.

Yesterday I decided to start the car. I have it in "storage" so the only insurance is the comprehensive, just in case the house burns down or a tree falls on it.The last time i drove it was to get the oil changed Nov 19th. I thought the car was just dead because I hadn't started it in a few weeks and in Ohio its been 9 degrees or less at night so i was anticipated a dud. First I went to open it the traditional way with the fob in the pocket. I tried opening, didn't work. Then i tried to unlock with the FOB and didn't work. So I went to the rear and opened the hatch setting off the alarm and I it scared the **** out of me because i thought the car was lifeless, so I wasn't expecting the alarm. So I opened the door from the back string and got in. I placed the fob inside the slot behind the steering wheel and attempted to start it struggled but kicked on and purred like a kitten. After all the door open,trunk, open warnings it said "no fob detected". So I tried both fobs and none worked. I like some here have only used 1 fob since ownership so i figured the other fob should at least have some sort of juice and nothing worked on neither FOB. So I went to the store and purchased the batteries and installed it in the first fob. The one that I use and it worked. But before i took the 2nd one apart i tried it again and this time it worked with the old battery in the car. Still however, I changed the battery in the backup FOB anyway and once again it still works. but it didn't work for **** last night with the old battery and this morning the old battery worked just fine. So I don't know if the battery was getting to that go/no go point where it would have been dead in a matter of days or what. Do I just chalk it up to cold Ohio weather?

Sorry for the extended spheal. I tried to explain my situation the best I can.

Last edited by air86; 12-19-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:46 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Mine is charging on the battery protector now. I was gone for 8 days and came out to start the car and nothing. The battery is deader than a doornail. The hardest part after it charges will be resetting all the electonics. In another thread someone posted that the C7s have very little battery drain when off, so I suppose I believed them. That was a mistake. I got the battery protector I darned well ought to use it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think my battery is going dead...