Sponsored by:

Splash guards for base model

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 10:25 PM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by p3pilot
Thanks for the pic. That side skirt looks really nice. May have to go that route as well. Did you install them yourself?
Thanks and yes, I did it myself. These are screwed on with about 6 screws per side. I'll never take them off so drilling on the bottom of the rocker was no problem for me. Should have had some one help hold it on while I drilled but some duct tape worked well.

Here's a better shot of the car with them. I like the more "minimalist" look with the same protection.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 12-09-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-09-2016, 10:44 PM
Chuck72
Le Mans Master

Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe
Thanks and yes, I did it myself. These are screwed on with about 6 screws per side. I'll never take them off so drilling on the bottom of the rocker was no problem for me. Should have had some one help hold it on while I drilled but some duct tape worked well.

Here's a better shot of the car with them. I like the more "minimalist" look with the same protection.

Great pic!

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 PM
p3pilot
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 279 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Walt White Coupe

Nice! I just ordered the splash guards. Gonna hold off for now on the side skirts. A bit freaked out about the screws.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:29 PM
OL2yellr
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Default side skirts

I didn't drill with the install of my side skirts. Used the 7 screws and 3M double side tape. Still on very solid!!

Nice! I just ordered the splash guards. Gonna hold off for now on the side skirts. A bit freaked out about the screws.
Old 12-10-2016, 02:15 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Don't want to use screws into the aluminum frame. First there is a gap between the bottom of the rocker panels and the frame. Second the rocker panels are made of SMC and drill like butter! I used aluminum rivets that once installed don't stick out of the back side.

If concerned about hitting the aluminum frame etc, when drilling just slip a piece of thin metal behind the panel. Most side skirts use OEM bolts on both ends that place the side skirt exactly. The bolts in the center are too far in to effectively support the skirt. So your drilling holes between the bolts after the side skirts are in place, no guessing.

I used small stainless fender washers under the rivet head to spread the load.

The hardest part is physiological -drilling that first hole! If for whatever reason you wish to remove them you could just drill them out or grind the aluminum rivet head and the stainless fender washer would protect the car. Only an ant would see the small holes! In fact the 3/16 inch drilled holes could be filled and touch-up paint would make them no more visible than the marks that unprotected panel bottoms would get from debris hitting them!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-10-2016 at 02:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Walt White Coupe (12-10-2016)

Quick Reply: Splash guards for base model