Strange stability control issue after new tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 09:57 AM
tampaSi
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange stability control issue after new tires

All -

Just put new Michelin PSS's on my 2014 Z51, same size as OEM but non-RFT. Have been getting an intermittent gremlin ever since; the stability control light will flicker and the computer abruptly cuts engine power when I'm simply cruising at around-town speeds in a straight line. I.e., not at all a situation where the stability control would kick in. All three instances where this occurred in the last day, I was around 40 MPH, light throttle and going arrow-straight.

Everything looks copacetic with the new tires (mounted the right direction, correct sizes, etc.) but I've never had this issue before and it's happened three times now in the day since I picked the car back up. We've also had colder temps in the area last night/today, but nothing that I would expect to cause an issue (cold for us here in Florida = mid 50s )

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does the computer need to go through a "learning" period with new tires? Previous to this set, I had Toyo R888s and the rears were 285/35-20s, as opposed to the OEM size that is now back on the car, 285/30-20, so is it possible the computer "learned" the previous size and this return to the OEM size is throwing it off?

Figured I'd ask here before I bring it into the dealer (thanks, warranty!).

Cheers
Old 12-10-2016, 10:02 AM
selo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a similar issue on a 7 series BMW. Had to have 2 new front tires put on, and immediately started having traction control cut in. Very intrusive. Dealer checked it out and there was a TSB about it. Said I now needed new rear tires. I was kind skeptical and definitely po'd, as the rears weren't at a point where one would ordinarily replace them. $800 later, problem solved. At least it took care of the problem. As for your situation, all I can figure is the car is calibrated for run flats. Somehow the flimsier sidewalls are messing with the sensors.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:04 AM
tampaSi
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by selo
Had a similar issue on a 7 series BMW. Had to have 2 new front tires put on, and immediately started having traction control cut in. Very intrusive. Dealer checked it out and there was a TSB about it. Said I now needed new rear tires. I was kind skeptical and definitely po'd, as the rears weren't at a point where one would ordinarily replace them. $800 later, problem solved. At least it took care of the problem. As for your situation, all I can figure is the car is calibrated for run flats. Somehow the flimsier sidewalls are messing with the sensors.
That's odd though, as I know many have replaced their tires with non-run-flats with no issue, and in fact the Toyos I had previously were non-run flat as well.

Last edited by tampaSi; 12-10-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:09 AM
selo
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I hear what you're saying. But either the sensors are working properly, and are very sensitive, and there's an incompatibility, or else they're malfunctioning and they need to be replaced.
The following users liked this post:
tampaSi (12-10-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:15 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Does it matter if the TPMS were put back in the same position on the car as taken off (by wheel)?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:19 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Maybe pull the neg battery cable and let it site for awhile.
Rebel Yell (12-12-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:20 AM
tampaSi
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by AORoads
Does it matter if the TPMS were put back in the same position on the car as taken off (by wheel)?
Not sure on either count (whether they were moved, or whether it would matter). I wouldn't think that the TPMS position would matter, but with how electronically sensitive cars are today, I suppose anything's possible.

Another thought that occurred to me; for the first 500 miles or so, they say new tires can still have a lot of oil and other manufacturing "debris" on the surface, so grip can be compromised as part of the tire break-in period. Didn't think it would be this extreme, but maybe in combination with the cooler temperatures, that's what's going on here (I hope)...
Old 12-10-2016, 10:27 AM
lancekl
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 46 Posts

I switch between my run flat summer tires and my non run flat all seasons every year with no issues at all. I would not just assume it is the tires.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:30 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"Another thought that occurred to me; for the first 500 miles or so, they say new tires can still have a lot of oil and other manufacturing "debris" on the surface, so grip can be compromised as part of the tire break-in period. Didn't think it would be this extreme, but maybe in combination with the cooler temperatures, that's what's going on here (I hope).."

Could be, could be. Didn't think it was that many miles (thought I read a year or so back it was maybe 200-300 miles) but I could be wrong on the number of miles.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:25 PM
Eff A Ford
Burning Brakes

Received 178 Likes on 138 Posts

I have aftermarket wheels/tires with non run flats and never had a problem. Something is definitely wrong.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

First, the TC system compares rear wheel speeds to front wheel speeds. If one or both of the rear wheels are spinning too fast in relationship to the front wheels you will get a Traction Control activation if they are spinning too slow you get an engine drag control activation.

You only get stability control activations if the steering wheel is turned and the car doesn't respond properly (too slow or too fast) to your steering input.

Changing the rear wheel diameter will affect TC to some degree but if you only change a small amount (the ratio of rear diameter divided by front diameter is 1.04) you won't notice the impact except in extreme conditions.

The EBCM which is the module that controls how ABS/Traction Control and Stability Control activate doesn't learn tire sizes.

Since all you did was change the rear tires the first thing I would check is to make sure both rear tires are actually the same size. I have had this happen at tire shops more times than you might imagine. If they are then you may want to see if somebody bumped/damaged the wheel speed sensor wiring while working on the car.

A loose wheel bearing could cause the issue as well. All 4 bearings would need to be checked.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 12-10-2016 at 04:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
cam30era (12-11-2016), GeoGS (12-24-2022)
Old 12-10-2016, 04:57 PM
tampaSi
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
First, the TC system compares rear wheel speeds to front wheel speeds. If one or both of the rear wheels are spinning too fast in relationship to the front wheels you will get a Traction Control activation if they are spinning too slow you get an engine drag control activation.

You only get stability control activations if the steering wheel is turned and the car doesn't respond properly (too slow or too fast) to your steering input.

Changing the rear wheel diameter will affect TC to some degree but if you only change a small amount (the ratio of rear diameter divided by front diameter is 1.04) you won't notice the impact except in extreme conditions.

The EBCM which is the module that controls how ABS/Traction Control and Stability Control activate doesn't learn tire sizes.

Since all you did was change the rear tires the first thing I would check is to make sure both rear tires are actually the same size. I have had this happen at tire shops more times than you might imagine. If they are then you may want to see if somebody bumped/damaged the wheel speed sensor wiring while working on the car.

A loose wheel bearing could cause the issue as well. All 4 bearings would need to be checked.

Bill
All four were replaced, and the sizes are a match- I'm thinking this issue was due to a combination of new tire oils still being present and chilly temperatures; I drove it this afternoon and didn't experience any issues. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, though. Appreciate the tech info, though! Good to know.
Old 12-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

One other thing to consider if the problem reoccurs -- check the connections on each wheel speed sensor.

It has happened before that one of the wires for a sensor gets accidentally snagged or pulled with the removal\replacement of the tires. A loose connector can throw off trac control/AH, by falsely indicating that a wheel has locked or is going slower than actual.
cam30era (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 05:56 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by tampaSi
new tire oils still being present
I can fix that for you in about 20 seconds

Regards
Chip

cam30era (12-11-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:22 PM
Astrowing
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We used to have problems with dust on wheel sensors creating ABS issues. Don't know if a similar issue would apply here.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:02 PM
jcp911s
Melting Slicks

Received 1,583 Likes on 795 Posts

I have driven my 2016 Z51 on the track on several occasions, and can tell you the stock Michelin PSS tires are very sensitive to operating temperature.

I did one event where the ambient temp was about 40 degrees F. Even after 10 minutes of hard track driving I could not get enough heat in the rear tires to get them to hook up.

Itss the nature of the tire.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:51 AM
Ponybuilder
1st Gear

Default Same issue on 2015 Z06 aftern new Michelins put on

Originally Posted by tampaSi
All -

Just put new Michelin PSS's on my 2014 Z51, same size as OEM but non-RFT. Have been getting an intermittent gremlin ever since; the stability control light will flicker and the computer abruptly cuts engine power when I'm simply cruising at around-town speeds in a straight line. I.e., not at all a situation where the stability control would kick in. All three instances where this occurred in the last day, I was around 40 MPH, light throttle and going arrow-straight.

Everything looks copacetic with the new tires (mounted the right direction, correct sizes, etc.) but I've never had this issue before and it's happened three times now in the day since I picked the car back up. We've also had colder temps in the area last night/today, but nothing that I would expect to cause an issue (cold for us here in Florida = mid 50s )

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Does the computer need to go through a "learning" period with new tires? Previous to this set, I had Toyo R888s and the rears were 285/35-20s, as opposed to the OEM size that is now back on the car, 285/30-20, so is it possible the computer "learned" the previous size and this return to the OEM size is throwing it off?

Figured I'd ask here before I bring it into the dealer (thanks, warranty!).

Cheers
Had stability issue after installing brand new tires. Weird i thought.. Tire pressure was good. But tried resetting tire pressures. Adding more or less. No luck. Called dealer. Said its not related. Hmmm. I drove it like it was for a while. Issue magically went away. Been fine years later. Hope this may of helped you or anyone else.

Get notified of new replies

To Strange stability control issue after new tires

Old 12-24-2022, 11:23 AM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 453 Likes on 340 Posts

Never happened to me with wheel and tire changes.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:29 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,140 Posts

You can eliminate changing to non-runflats, TPS and new tires as being the problem. The problem is elsewhere.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:15 PM
squirrelchew
Burning Brakes

Received 555 Likes on 352 Posts

sounds like slick surfaces and y'all are breaking traction without knowing it. a scary thought.

Quick Reply: Strange stability control issue after new tires