Sponsored by:

2017 Grand Sport cup holders

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 11:56 AM
teddycarnut
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Default 2017 Grand Sport cup holders

Much complaints about the cup holders causing drinks to tip. L tried a few ideas without any success.Any one find one that works at resonably priced and not ugly. Any home made remedies.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:18 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

This is what I use in my C5 now and plan on using in 17 GS that I'm ordering in spring. Google search Clear Option and they will come up. They work good with cups ,bottles ,soft drinks cups. I like that fold up when not in use.
Attached Images   
Old 12-11-2016, 12:24 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I gave up on the cup holders and use this bottom heavy mug right between my legs. Launch control, turns, and slam on braking, it doesn't budge. Has non skid material on bottom.
HighWave H1406 18oz Hotjo Black
Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Many have found inserts from other vehicles that fit. I just used 4 black felt furniture footpads, which are very stealthy and work great. They compress to hold almost any size container.

I got this idea from my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which has 4 little rubber dimples that compress to accommodate different size containers.

My total investment was less than $2.00.

Last edited by Foosh; 12-11-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I got a mini mugzie for my coffee in the morning:

It fits perfectly. Otherwise I just gave up and go with a no food or drinks policy. I do have the cup holder thing that sits on the passenger side, but it really takes up too much space and it doesn't do anything for the driver because it's too far away.
Old 12-11-2016, 12:53 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Many have found inserts from other vehicles that fit. I just used 4 black felt furniture footpads, which are very stealthy and work great. They compress to hold almost any size container.

I got this idea from my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, which has 4 little rubber dimples that compress to accommodate different size containers.

That looks like a great idea and as you said a stealth look.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 01:28 PM
myred63
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

no drinks coming into my new GS ... so no problem here!!!!
Old 12-11-2016, 01:36 PM
Squeaky Wheel
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster OG
I got a mini mugzie for my coffee in the morning:

It fits perfectly. Otherwise I just gave up and go with a no food or drinks policy. I do have the cup holder thing that sits on the passenger side, but it really takes up too much space and it doesn't do anything for the driver because it's too far away.
I like that. Where does one find it?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:43 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
https://store.corvettemuseum.org/glassware-mugs-cups
Squeaky Wheel (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:17 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Squeaky Wheel
The museum doesn't seem to have the c7 mugzie anymore. If you search on Amazon it'll show up, but I can only find it in red. They used to have several colors. Oh well.
Squeaky Wheel (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 03:31 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

Originally Posted by teddycarnut
Much complaints about the cup holders causing drinks to tip. L tried a few ideas without any success.Any one find one that works at resonably priced and not ugly. Any home made remedies.
I used a Travel Buddy in the same location in my C6. However the grab bar would make it more difficult to reach.

I always have a bottle water with me and found a way to modify the cup holders to handle a full C7 Logo bottle in a 1 "g" turn and 1+ "g" stop.

First I remove the ~3/32 rubber cover on the bottom (it just lifts off) they I glue the insert to the base! Makes the hole deeper and prevents the insert from tilting in high "g" turns and stops. Works for me.

This is a PDF of my old method and the one mentioned that is much easier to implement and increases the depth ~ 3/32 inches: http://netwelding.com/Improved_Cup_Holder.pdf

Holds Botttle Full of Water in 1"g" Turn and Stop

Bottle Fit Tight, but Insert Tilted Upon a Fast Stop-Water All Over! So After Removing The ~3/32 Rubber Mat Under the Insert, Glued it to the Bottom!

Last edited by JerryU; 12-11-2016 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

I did the exact same thing as you, but also added some round rubber grip pads on the bottom which fit perfectly and are very low profile. Has worked so far except one of the side pads came off today as it got wet from condensation and just slid off. Need to look at a more aggressive way of attaching to the side of the cupholders.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:50 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, a sheet of 20 of those things costs maybe $5. If one falls off, just replace, but I've had the same 4 pads in one cupholder for 6 months, with a travel mug or bottle of water in it 4-5 days a week. Maybe that's why they are well stuck, as are the containers, which don't move.

I like the fact that the adhesive is not aggressive, so that I can remove and replace anytime.

I also have a thing for simple. An "engineered" cupholder solution doesn't merit more than 2 minutes of effort.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:05 PM
LucaBrasiAZ
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, a sheet of 20 of those things costs maybe $5. If one falls off, just replace, but I've had the same 4 pads in one cupholder for 6 months, with a travel mug or bottle of water in it 4-5 days a week. Maybe that's why they are well stuck, as are the containers, which don't move.

I like the fact that the adhesive is not aggressive, so that I can remove and replace anytime.

I also have a thing for simple. An "engineered" cupholder solution doesn't merit more than 2 minutes of effort.
its a great solution. Nobody will even notice since it looks very stock. I had to buy a big bag of them with multiple sizes when i put laminate in my house to keep my couch from sliding 4 feet every time i reclined...glad i found a use for all the left overs. The ones i used were a little smaller than the ones you used but i may go to the bigger ones if these become an issue falling off.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 Grand Sport cup holders

Quick Reply: 2017 Grand Sport cup holders