Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 09:56 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

I'm 5'10 190 and the seat fits me perfectly, they have a real sports car feel while still being very comfortable even after driving ten hours straight (can you say, road trip!). "Confining" does not come to mind instead it's like getting into a cockpit with a seat that holds you snug in place when you're flying around corners at high speed. In fact, the thing I love about the C7 in addition to its amazing styling and power is how the interior surrounds the driver, like a cockpit (there's that word again).

As for which model, options, etc. there are pros and cons between a Z51 & non-Z51. The main reasons I decided against a Z51 were;
1. The tires are too sticky (they like to throw rocks) and ride rougher
2. Too much frig'n brake dust
3. Unless you plan to track the car it's not worth the premium

BTW, NPP exhaust is a must!

If there's a big price difference between the 3LT and the 2LT then the 3LT may not be worth it, you don't get a whole lot more for the premium price. As for Magnetic Ride, I think it's over rated if your not tracking the car. Plus it's not worth the repair costs down the line. Most get the Magnetic Ride with the Z51 because the ride is harder (rougher) because of the lower (stiffer) tires.

In the end, getting a Corvette is a personal choice. As for me it was the only choice...IT'S A CORVETTE AND THE BEST ONE EVER PRODUCED.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 01-17-2017 at 10:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ptran00 (09-09-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 09:24 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I'm 5'10 190 and the seat fits me perfectly, they have a real sports car feel while still being very comfortable even after driving ten hours straight (can you say, road trip!). "Confining" does not come to mind instead it's like getting into a cockpit with a seat that holds you snug in place when you're flying around corners at high speed. In fact, the thing I love about the C7 in addition to its amazing styling and power is how the interior surrounds the driver, like a cockpit (there's that word again).

As for which model, options, etc. there are pros and cons between a Z51 & non-Z51. The main reasons I decided against a Z51 were;
1. The tires are too sticky (they like to throw rocks) and ride rougher
2. Too much frig'n brake dust
3. Unless you plan to track the car it's not worth the premium

BTW, NPP exhaust is a must!

If there's a big price difference between the 3LT and the 2LT then the 3LT may not be worth it, you don't get a whole lot more for the premium price. As for Magnetic Ride, I think it's over rated if your not tracking the car. Plus it's not worth the repair costs down the line. Most get the Magnetic Ride with the Z51 because the ride is harder (rougher) because of the lower (stiffer) tires.

In the end, getting a Corvette is a personal choice. As for me it was the only choice...IT'S A CORVETTE AND THE BEST ONE EVER PRODUCED.

Thanks Maxie: Lots of items to think about. Mag or no mag, Z-51 performance updates or base, 2lt or 3lt etc.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

^^^
Maxie did a nice job of outlining some differences between options. The seats (stock GT) fit me really well too, and I'm 6'2/210. The most miles we've gone in a day is just over 900 - very comfortable.

As noted, NPP is a must. I personally like mag ride because I like a stiffer ride than my wife, so I drive in sport unless she's with me, then move to tour - and you can tell a huge difference. But that's really personal preference.

Our first C7 was a 2LT, and the interior was very nice - and we liked the extra stuff that comes with 2LT. Our new C7 is 3LT. You can definitely tell a difference and it's really well done, but.......if our new C7 (it was an 'in stock' car with everything we wanted including color choices) had been equipped with 2LT instead, we still would have purchased it. We like the 3LT and got a great deal on the car, but hopefully that let's you know how much we liked 2LT.

My cousin has a 2LT base with NPP. Beautiful car that rides great. You can't go wrong with any configuration you choose.

We've owned several cars, and I think the C7 is our all around favorite for road trips and just plain having fun. No issues at all with our '15 except for the creaky top which was 100% fixed with the warranty pins and strikers. Wife was actually the one who encouraged me to get another one.

Good luck!

PS: I might add that we use the C7 for road trips of 2+ weeks. You can fit a TON of stuff in them if you have the right types of bags, and still see out of the back no problem. My wife was shocked the first road trip we took. Had a bunch of stuff and told me we'd have to take her SUV. Surprised her and never a doubting word since. :-)

Last edited by Hopper12; 01-18-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by Hopper12
^^^
Maxie did a nice job of outlining some differences between options. The seats (stock GT) fit me really well too, and I'm 6'2/210. The most miles we've gone in a day is just over 900 - very comfortable.

As noted, NPP is a must. I personally like mag ride because I like a stiffer ride than my wife, so I drive in sport unless she's with me, then move to tour - and you can tell a huge difference. But that's really personal preference.

Our first C7 was a 2LT, and the interior was very nice - and we liked the extra stuff that comes with 2LT. Our new C7 is 3LT. You can definitely tell a difference and it's really well done, but.......if our new C7 (it was an 'in stock' car with everything we wanted including color choices) had been equipped with 2LT instead, we still would have purchased it. We like the 3LT and got a great deal on the car, but hopefully that let's you know how much we liked 2LT.

My cousin has a 2LT base with NPP. Beautiful car that rides great. You can't go wrong with any configuration you choose.

We've owned several cars, and I think the C7 is our all around favorite for road trips and just plain having fun. No issues at all with our '15 except for the creaky top which was 100% fixed with the warranty pins and strikers. Wife was actually the one who encouraged me to get another one.

Good luck!
Thanks Hopper: If I by slightly used are the warranties transferable?
Old 01-18-2017, 09:56 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Enough positive stuff has already been well said about the virtues of the C7. My thoughts about the seats....

Yes, they are firm and may seem tight. They are well bolstered to keep YOU planted in a tight corner. They will naturally seem hard after your Dodge. Dispite being firm, I find the seats to conform well to my shape, and by carefully adjusting the seats your personal comfort "sweet spot" can be found. I am 6'1", 180 and can drive all day in comfort.

Entry and exit can be a bit athletic for a SS recipient like me, but I quickly found where to brace my hands and feet to make that comfortable as well.

Good Luck!
mbaessler (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:02 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The best thing to do is go sit in those seats. I know it won't be enough time to see how they feel after an hour or so, but if you sit in them and are immediately uncomfortable after adjusting them, then they aren't for you. 2LT and higher are adjustable I believe. Not sure if it is just the comp seats or the GT seats.
mbaessler (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 10:05 AM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Thanks Hopper: If I by slightly used are the warranties transferable?
You are most welcome.

If you're referring to the factory warranty, they are transferable to the new owner - follows the car.

If you're referring to an extended warranty, they are almost always transferable, often with a small fee. But you need to be certain that the extended warranty company is aware of the change of ownership.

BTW, another thing we notice about the seats is that they actually get a bit more comfortable over time - our 2LT seats were pretty stiff at first, but after a couple of months they softened up quite a bit. The 3LT seats seem a bit softer than the 2LT from new - I suppose it's due to a different leather, but not certain.

Good luck in you decision process.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:42 AM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,170 Likes on 2,250 Posts

As a follow-up on the difference between the 2LT and the 3LT. Purchased new the 3LT is $5290 premium over a 2LT. Purchasing used will likely reduce the spread between the 2LT trim package & the 3LT.

That said, if you really want suede inserts, a performance data recorder, Napa leather and a nav system then a 3LT may be for YOU. As for me, paying an extra $5290 clearly wasn't worth it. I used that savings on other (more important) options.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:21 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

I too came from a line of "sporty" Detroit iron....couple of high performance Mustangs and even a Dodge RT back in the day. They were fun cars, but for me, my C7 Z51 convertible is the complete package.

Still, it is not the perfect car. (What car is?) For me, the styling, sound and power trump the minor nits such as seat comfort on long trips.

Good luck with your choice!
The following 2 users liked this post by AdventurePoser:
mbaessler (01-18-2017), ptran00 (09-09-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:05 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
As a follow-up on the difference between the 2LT and the 3LT. Purchased new the 3LT is $5290 premium over a 2LT. Purchasing used will likely reduce the spread between the 2LT trim package & the 3LT.

That said, if you really want suede inserts, a performance data recorder, Napa leather and a nav system then a 3LT may be for YOU. As for me, paying an extra $5290 clearly wasn't worth it. I used that savings on other (more important) options.

Maxie: Thanks for your information and going the extra mile to explain items. Yes the 2LT seems to be the sweet spot. Although I thought everyone wants NAV system these days. I'm also shocked how many very low mile 2015 and 2016's out there. Why would folks buy them and drive them for 6 months or so little and then sell them. Strange

Last edited by mbaessler; 01-18-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:35 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Just a diff view....for all the same reasons as Maxie2U didn't like the Z51.....is why I bought a Z51.

It has the "feel" that I like for a street car to have.
I have the 1LT,or Plain Jane version.

It suits me just fine.

\db2
mbaessler (01-18-2017)
Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 PM
rw99
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

To the comparison of modern Challenger and the C7: I own a '15 Hellcat and picked up a '16 Z06 last month. I semi-daily driver them both, because these are exactly the sort of vehicles that allow me to tolerate the commute (and the workday)!

I'm 6'4 and 270 lbs, so I'm really sensitive to the dimensions of the two cars. The Challenger is like driving from your favorite comfy chair. Plenty of room, in fact I can move the seat TOO FAR back from the pedals! That's almost unheard of, for me. Plenty of headroom for the helmet, too.

When I transition to the C7, yes, it's a tight fit. Any taller or broader and I'd be uncomfortable... but as it is, I find it very accommodating for trips of 2 hours or so. Which is about the point at which I generally need to get out and stretch the 53-year-old knees, anyway. Getting in and out of the C7 is a bit awkward, sure, but to me it's a VERY small price to pay.

If you have and use the UConnect system in your Challenger, I think you'll find the GM infotainment to be superior. I can't comment on the base sound systems... and that sort of judgement is always very personal, anyway.

I think the value you can find for Corvette is excellent. Discounts on lingering 2016s can exceed 20% of MSRP, and the shear volume of production provides a constant supply of gently used and significantly depreciated cars. Plenty of selection to ensure you pay what you want for ONLY the options that matter to you. That said, neither Challenger nor Corvette is a sensible investment. Whatever you buy will continue to depreciate at a brisk clip.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:27 PM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by rw99
To the comparison of modern Challenger and the C7: I own a '15 Hellcat and picked up a '16 Z06 last month. I semi-daily driver them both, because these are exactly the sort of vehicles that allow me to tolerate the commute (and the workday)!

I'm 6'4 and 270 lbs, so I'm really sensitive to the dimensions of the two cars. The Challenger is like driving from your favorite comfy chair. Plenty of room, in fact I can move the seat TOO FAR back from the pedals! That's almost unheard of, for me. Plenty of headroom for the helmet, too.

When I transition to the C7, yes, it's a tight fit. Any taller or broader and I'd be uncomfortable... but as it is, I find it very accommodating for trips of 2 hours or so. Which is about the point at which I generally need to get out and stretch the 53-year-old knees, anyway. Getting in and out of the C7 is a bit awkward, sure, but to me it's a VERY small price to pay.

If you have and use the UConnect system in your Challenger, I think you'll find the GM infotainment to be superior. I can't comment on the base sound systems... and that sort of judgement is always very personal, anyway.

I think the value you can find for Corvette is excellent. Discounts on lingering 2016s can exceed 20% of MSRP, and the shear volume of production provides a constant supply of gently used and significantly depreciated cars. Plenty of selection to ensure you pay what you want for ONLY the options that matter to you. That said, neither Challenger nor Corvette is a sensible investment. Whatever you buy will continue to depreciate at a brisk clip.
RW99: well thanks for your insight! You have quite a nice set of iron in your garage!
Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 PM
JenFZ09
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

I have a Challenger RT six speed and a new vette. Apples to oranges. Totally different cars. Test drive a vette and decide for yourself.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:47 PM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

6-0, 180. Take your wallet out of your back pocket esp. on longer drive. Does wonders for comfort.

ingress/egress can be an art, especially with long heavy doors, narrow parking spaces, or even parking on a hill, where you have to deal with the door trying to close on you as you are entering/exiting.

First, configure the car for easy exit. This will move the seat all the way back and the wheel all the way forward. Gives you several more inches to work with.

Ingress: Grab steering wheel about 12 o'clock with right hand. right foot in. start lowering yourself in, shifting weight to left leg and right hand; pull in and push up a bit with right hand to steer and control downward speed. Left hand high on A pillar or mid roof to guide and add secondary horizontal support, use arm strength pull/push appropriately to keep from putting excessive weight on the seat back.
Left leg in once your butt is down.

Alternate, but hard on the bolsters - butt toward seat, left hand on seat back or door frame. Right hand on A pillar or steering wheel. Squat until butt hits the bolsters, push up and back with feet and back with hands, slide in. When back of knees hits the side bolster, rotate your feet in. Shift right hand to 3 on the wheel to pull and adjust body position.

Egress: left foot on ground, right hand on wheel at 9ish, start to rotate out. As you turn, move left hand to door sill or seat back, right hand to A pillar, pull, then push yourself out.

Alternate: left foot out, left hand on lower rear door frame, start to pivot out, right foot out, right hand to door for balance and support. Left hand to push yourself upright.

Much easier/simpler with the roof off.
Step in with right foot, right hand to top steering wheel or center of windshield above rear view mirror, grab corner of A pillar and windshield with left hand, and lower yourself into the seat while bringing your left foot in.
Reverse to exit.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 AM
mbaessler
Racer

Originally Posted by aj98
6-0, 180. Take your wallet out of your back pocket esp. on longer drive. Does wonders for comfort.

ingress/egress can be an art, especially with long heavy doors, narrow parking spaces, or even parking on a hill, where you have to deal with the door trying to close on you as you are entering/exiting.

First, configure the car for easy exit. This will move the seat all the way back and the wheel all the way forward. Gives you several more inches to work with.

Ingress: Grab steering wheel about 12 o'clock with right hand. right foot in. start lowering yourself in, shifting weight to left leg and right hand; pull in and push up a bit with right hand to steer and control downward speed. Left hand high on A pillar or mid roof to guide and add secondary horizontal support, use arm strength pull/push appropriately to keep from putting excessive weight on the seat back.

Alternate, but hard on the bolsters - butt toward seat, left hand on seat back or door frame. Right hand on A pillar or steering wheel. Squat until butt hits the bolsters, push up and back with feet and back with hands, slide in. When back of knees hits the side bolster, rotate your feet in. Shift right hand to 3 on the wheel to pull and adjust body position.

Egress: left foot on ground, right hand on wheel at 9ish, start to rotate out. As you turn, move left hand to door sill or seat back, right hand to A pillar, pull, then push yourself out.

Alternate: left foot out, left hand on lower rear door frame, start to pivot out, right foot out, right hand to door for balance and support. Left hand to push yourself upright.

Step in with right foot, right hand to top steering wheel or center of windshield above rear view mirror, grab corner of A pillar and windshield with left hand, and lower yourself into the seat while bringing your left foot in.
Reverse to exit.
Thanks AJ, you must of been an engineer.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by aj98

Reverse to exit.
I just go in and out like any other car.I'm 65 I go to the gym every day.Maybe that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette

Old 01-19-2017, 02:07 PM
theplatinumog
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 154 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by mbaessler
Maxie: Thanks for your information and going the extra mile to explain items. Yes the 2LT seems to be the sweet spot. Although I thought everyone wants NAV system these days. I'm also shocked how many very low mile 2015 and 2016's out there. Why would folks buy them and drive them for 6 months or so little and then sell them. Strange
No need for a navigation system if it has android auto or apple car play. AA uses goggle maps, Apple uses Imaps. Both are better than the factory navigation.

What kills me is that GPS is packaged with PDR and I could not be without that.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:55 PM
OVERULD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 296 Likes on 214 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Originally Posted by Zaphod B
mbaesslerr - I'll do my best, and hopefully others will join in.

My previous "performance" sedan was a Pontiac G8 GT that I think is comparable to your Challenger RT in terms of performance and accessibility.

I own a 2017 Grand Sport. It is a completely different animal than the G8 or, I would think, any of the "sport-ish" sedans.

The cabin and seats can either feel confining or cosseting, depending on your point of view. I find it "cosseting." You will not be able to stretch out sideways so if you are not comfortable being locked into position, this is not your car. BTW, I have competition seats and did successive 8-hour days in the driver's seat with no issue.

Entry and exit is a challenge compared to a normal car.

Magnetic selective ride control is available as an option independent of the Z51 package.

I cannot speak to the ride qualities of the non-MSRC suspension.

Good luck!
This.

I also came out of a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT which I drove for 18 months then gave to my wife so I could get one of the last G8 GXP sedans with the LS3 6.2 415 HP engines. I loved both of those cars - still own the GT. It was a DD and the GXP was a weekend car like my Vette.

I have a 2015 Z51 3LT convertible, MSRC, M7, Competition seats, and it is so much more superior to the G8 GXP in virtually every respect except for roominess. But the Vette is not supposed to be roomy. It is a purpose-built sports car. Period. Don't buy it for anything else and you won't be disappointed.

Good Luck with your decision.

BJ
mbaessler (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 04:00 PM
rangda
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by theplatinumog
What kills me is that GPS is packaged with PDR and I could not be without that.
PDR uses GPS to figure out you are at a track right? So strictly speaking you need GPS for the PDR. It could probably be made to work with CarPlay/Android Auto, but then it wouldn't be a standalone system.

Quick Reply: Trying to decide if I want to get a C7 Corvette