Sponsored by:

Prepping Your Corvette For Winter: Part 1 - Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 08:39 PM
ManuelCarrillo3
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Prepping Your Corvette For Winter: Part 1 - Storage

If your Corvette is family to you, our winter storage expert, Bradley Brownell has nine steps to perfectly prep your baby for a long winter hibernation, and a successful spring awakening.

Read the rest on the Corvette Forum homepage. >>
Old 12-19-2016, 08:44 PM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,022 Likes on 616 Posts

Little late here in MN, but great information. Like the bubble-boy!
Old 12-19-2016, 08:52 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,190 Posts

I then change the filter for a new one and fill the engine with inexpensive, non-synthetic, SAE straight-30-weight oil for its time in storage. Once winter is over, and I’m ready to drive the car again, I’ll empty the 30-weight and add back the appropriate oil for running the car, keeping the “new” filter I installed before winter
This part of the article I feel is very bad advice! Why put a non recommended oil in the engine at all, even if it's just for the storage purposes? It makes zero sense, and even when you do change back to the proper oil afterwards, some of that inferior oil is still going to be mixed in with the good oil, especially with the oil filter not being changed. The best thing to do is store it with the proper warranty approved oil that is relatively fresh (under 3000 miles)

Here is another point of dispute in the article:

It is always the best idea to store your car with a full tank.
That has always been the rule of thumb in the past, but most recently a lot of experts are recommending to store C5, C6 and C7 Corvettes with around a 1/4 tank of gas so that the fuel level sensor doesn't get gummed up. Any of us who have owned one or more of the past three generations of Corvettes will know that fuel level sensors are problematic, so why take the risk of possibly causing them more harm?

My preferred method, however, involves placing the car on jackstands for the winter months, and storing the wheel and tire packages flat in the corner of the garage, separated by sheets of corrugated cardboard box. This method puts the least amount of stress on your tires
Sure, saves your tires, but messes up the suspension! Totally bad advice here! The suspension should never be left dangling for long periods of time like this! It can cause all sorts of problems!

The best practice is to remove the battery from the car and store it on a battery maintenance trickle charger
Why go to the trouble of removing it and hooking it up to the trickle charger? Better off just leaving it in the vehicle and connecting the trickle charger up to it that way. GM even feels this way, the optional battery protection package offers up a connection in the trunk to make things nice and easy.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:05 PM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 853 Likes on 394 Posts

A couple of old cotton sheets work well for me.

The following users liked this post:
dvilin (12-21-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

This is a bit much...I just change the oil & filter, hook a battery tender to it, and leave it till spring....never a flat spotted tire....or any other issues....done this to 2 Corvettes and 1 280ZX over the last 30 years....

Last edited by ersatz928; 12-19-2016 at 09:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ersatz928:
dvilin (12-21-2016), Garret (12-21-2016)
Old 12-21-2016, 05:03 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Back in the day of nylon belt tires, flat spots could be an issue on a cold day. But I can't recall in recent history when I've had any kind of issue with a radial tire.

We aren't storing these machines for years; just a few months. That's called "short term storage" in other kinds of maintenance programs.

After 13 years of Corvette ownership and 45 years of all sorts of machine ownership from cars to boats to tractors to airplanes to motorcycles, I agree with Pat and ersatz; that pretty much covers it. Doing more than that is succumbing to car storage myths.

Get notified of new replies

To Prepping Your Corvette For Winter: Part 1 - Storage

Quick Reply: Prepping Your Corvette For Winter: Part 1 - Storage