Dealer doesn't know which oil to use

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:34 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by vettman96
Two Options:

1. Change dealerships for next oil change.
2. Do it yourself to make sure it is done to your satisfaction.

At this point, I choose option 2.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:46 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Given your experience I would check they didn't overfill.

Definitely change dealerships. Someone with corvette experience.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:54 AM
wgood
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by R8Z51
I dropped my car off this morning and the service tech did not know which oil my car took. He asked if I wanted a synthetic blend or full synthetic oil. It's a ******* Corvette. Don't they all come from the factory with full synthetic? I'm stressing about whether or not they're going to put the correct oil in. Incredible.
Go to the Mobil 1 thread above the discussion pages !!! Wayne
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by C7Joy

At this point, I choose option 2.
No doubt. If you are physically capable of it, I highly suggest that you do it yourself. I'm super picky about my car as well and that's why I change my own oil.

That way I know:
1) that it is done properly
2) correct oil used
3) drain plugs & oil filter torqued to spec
4) oil life reset
5) documented in my maintenance log

Should you be able to go to the dealer and expect them to do it properly? Absolutely, but unfortunately that does not align with reality.
The following users liked this post:
C7Joy (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:04 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Alright folks - picked up my car and my oil life monitor still reads 47%. The sticker on the windshield was not changed, either. I'm beginning to wonder if they even did the work. Car wasn't washed or cleaned as well.

Should I send an email out to the manager of that dealer? This is just unacceptable.
Does the oil look clean on the stick?
Old 12-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by dbaker
You can always take your own oil.

\db2
Old 12-29-2016, 10:21 AM
DickieDoo
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 159 Posts

Alright folks - picked up my car and my oil life monitor still reads 47%. The sticker on the windshield was not changed, either. I'm beginning to wonder if they even did the work. Car wasn't washed or cleaned as well.

Should I send an email out to the manager of that dealer? This is just unacceptable.
Your right, the lack of detail with this simple oil change can make you wonder what else is done or not done. GM is always saying that you should take your car to their dealers for service because they know your car best. I would expect this from Al's Garage where he services 20+ different makes and models but this is a GM car, the OLM has been around for years, so if they still can't get that straight, they shouldn't be doing maintenance.
You better check your dipstick to be sure they didn't underfill or overfill your crank. Seriously, there are tons of threads about this kind of issue.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,287 Likes on 13,963 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Did you discuss these items with the service manager? If not, perhaps you should. There will probably be no change without some feedback to the dealer - complaining here isn't going to get it done.

I personally wouldn't want a dealer washing my car - I know they won't take as good of care with it as I do. I will agree that they should know which oil to use and how much to use - if they don't find another dealership that does.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

If our C7's came with an oil cap that said "Mobil 1 5W 30 only" there would not be any confusion. The Dexos cap and the dealers service dept. personnel not keeping up with the service bulletins are the culprits!

Last edited by Supersonic 427; 12-29-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
If our C7's came with an oil cap that said "Mobil 1 5W 30 only" there would not be any confusion. The Dexos cap and the dealers service dept. personnel not keeping up with the service bulletins are the culprits!
It comes with the Dexos cap because that's the spec the oil must meet. If it meets that it doesn't matter if it's full synthetic or a blend. It's a freaking Chevrolet V8, not some exotic supercar engine.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:19 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
It comes with the Dexos cap because that's the spec the oil must meet. If it meets that it doesn't matter if it's full synthetic or a blend. It's a freaking Chevrolet V8, not some exotic supercar engine.
True, DEXOS is the Spec for Full Synthetic or Synthetic Blend. However, there is a Service Bulletin that states that oil changes should be done with Mobil 1 Full Synthetic on C7 Corvettes! Many dealers are not paying attention to that Bulletin! The cap..DEXOS has added to that confusion. As far as the Corvette not being a "freakin exotic" it is to many of us and we want the best for our cars!
Old 12-29-2016, 07:12 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

In my owners package,there is a card from Mobil1 with a sticker to place under the hood.

I will point this out...hopefully this will help end the confusion.

\db2
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Why, oh why, after 4 model years of the C7 are so many dealers not informed about the servicing of these cars? I still maintain that GM should limit the sale and servicing of Corvettes to those dealers who can prove their knowledge of the vehicles in addition to the training and equipment necessary to properly service them. One can only wish, right?
Gonzo (01-18-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:42 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Did you discuss these items with the service manager? If not, perhaps you should. There will probably be no change without some feedback to the dealer - complaining here isn't going to get it done.

I personally wouldn't want a dealer washing my car - I know they won't take as good of care with it as I do. I will agree that they should know which oil to use and how much to use - if they don't find another dealership that does.
but would do so without the XXX language if at all possible. I know it's hard these days since it's becoming the norm, esp with the younger set. Just common everyday language anymore, which does not go over well with others. Makes you wonder what the next generation will talk like

Far as OP...sounds like he's letting off some steam. I'd be ticked off too. It's unfortunate that the dealership in question hires untrained, inexperienced people. They must be paying them McD wages. Based on this experience I'd be worried over anything coming out of that dealership. Also agree that if another Chev dealership is available take your business there. This appears to be a sad & bad exception.

There should be no need to have to change your own oil in lieu of an "authorized dealer" doing it. At least not the free ones. Always check for proper level fill whoever does it.
mpuzach (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 07:56 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by lakemg
No doubt. If you are physically capable of it, I highly suggest that you do it yourself. I'm super picky about my car as well and that's why I change my own oil.

That way I know:
1) that it is done properly
2) correct oil used
3) drain plugs & oil filter torqued to spec
4) oil life reset
5) documented in my maintenance log
Exactly why I choose to crawl under my car and have at it! Until the body (mine ;-) fails, i will continue to do so.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:04 PM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 6GenVettes
but would do so without the XXX language if at all possible. I know it's hard these days since it's becoming the norm, esp with the younger set. Just common everyday language anymore, which does not go over well with others. Makes you wonder what the next generation will talk like

Far as OP...sounds like he's letting off some steam. I'd be ticked off too. It's unfortunate that the dealership in question hires untrained, inexperienced people. They must be paying them McD wages. Based on this experience I'd be worried over anything coming out of that dealership. Also agree that if another Chev dealership is available take your business there. This appears to be a sad & bad exception.

There should be no need to have to change your own oil in lieu of an "authorized dealer" doing it. At least not the free ones. Always check for proper level fill whoever does it.
What's up with you guys and the language BS? It's freaking censored and shows as stars. You are upset he put the "thought" of a "bad word" in your mind?
Old 12-29-2016, 09:04 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,289 Likes on 1,399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by falconhulk
What's up with you guys and the language BS? It's freaking censored and shows as stars. You are upset he put the "thought" of a "bad word" in your mind?
Wrong. Read the first post in the thread. It's not censored.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer doesn't know which oil to use

Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 PM
R8Z51
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Should I email the service manager or is that taking it too far? Also, I ran the car and shut her off. Checked the dipstick and oil was up to the full mark and then some. I'm assuming it's over filled. Would this hurt the motor? I do have the Z51 package.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:53 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Should I email the service manager or is that taking it too far? Also, I ran the car and shut her off. Checked the dipstick and oil was up to the full mark and then some. I'm assuming it's over filled. Would this hurt the motor? I do have the Z51 package.
Did you check it per how the owner manual specifically instructs you to for Z51/Z06? If you followed it as directed then you are over filled. If you didn't follow the owner's manual instructions, then I recommend you check it once more per the owner's manual instructions and then go from there based on the accurate oil level check.
Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM
keepnitreel
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i took my GS in for the 500 mile change, I was charged the difference for Mobil 1 which was a lot. The service dept. said that what was in my car was a synthetic blend. It sounds like if Mobil 1 was the put in at the factory though then there shouldn't be an up charge? Not looking to making an issue out of it with the service dept, just so I know for the free oil changes that were included
Gonzo (01-18-2017)

Quick Reply: Dealer doesn't know which oil to use