Sponsored by:

Cranks but no start

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2024, 03:58 PM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cranks but no start

Ok so I’m pretty new to corvettes. Bought a 2015 stingray 2LT auto 60k miles. Had it for about 2 weeks then it died while driving. No lights or anything came on. Didn’t notice til I went to take off from a stop sign so it must have died while coasting to the stop. Then it wouldn’t turn over. Had a tow truck come out to jump it and the battery was low from trying to start it so many times. Wouldn’t jump start. I tow it home and throw the battery on a norco charger and get it to full charge and leave it for a couple days. The car starts and I move it to my garage and hook the charger back up. Left it hooked up all winter. Now about 2 weeks ago I took it off the charger and started it up. It fired right up. Ran a little rough. Went to go drive to auto zone to test the battery and less than a mile from my house it does the same thing, as I was coasting to stop the car died and wouldn’t start back up. Tried to jump the car and it wouldn’t start back up. Tow it home and change the battery. Still won’t start. But if I leave it sit for a week, it will crank and turn over right away like 3rd crank, but then immediately die again. Had a little over 3/4 tank of gas. Bought some heat and fuel system cleaner (was hoping maybe just got some bad gas) and put it in and then topped it off with another 5 gallons of gas. Let it sit for a day and then it cranked and turned over but then immediately died again. But this time I was able to crank and turn over 3 times. It immediately died every time, but still turned over 3 times. Have not been able to have it stay running for even one second since it died while driving 2 weeks ago. All the gauges and everything work. I don’t understand why if it sits for a week it will turn over.
Old 03-11-2024, 05:22 PM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

What you describe is consistent with a shot battery. A failed battery can present its failure a number of ways. Here is yours. Even if its new, it sounds like the first thing to change and see what happens.

Dan

Last edited by Vetteman Jack; 03-12-2024 at 09:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Artarmy (03-12-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 07:23 PM
Grand Slam
Drifting

Received 560 Likes on 362 Posts

I agree, sounds like a bad battery. You could also have it load tested to see how it measures.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:58 AM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dplotkin
What you describe is consistent with a shot battery. A failed battery can present its failure a number of ways. Here is yours. Even if its new, it sounds like the first thing to change and see what happens.

Dan
is there a recommended battery to use? The ac delco that was in seems low on cold crank amps
Old 03-12-2024, 08:09 AM
dplotkin
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,130 Likes on 1,030 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C2 of Year Finalist (stock)
2015 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ChrisBorton
is there a recommended battery to use? The ac delco that was in seems low on cold crank amps
It may very well be the battery you have is the original to the car. Get the dates off it and check. I had a Delco battery in my 1965 L78 installed in 2012 that died last week and was just replaced. I would use the OEM battery, a Delco.

Dan
Old 03-12-2024, 09:09 AM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by dplotkin
It may very well be the battery you have is the original to the car. Get the dates off it and check. I had a Delco battery in my 1965 L78 installed in 2012 that died last week and was just replaced. I would use the OEM battery, a Delco.

Dan
I already swapped the battery and it didn’t help. Some of the other guys said that the new battery may just be a dud. They didn’t have the exact match so I upgraded the cold crank amps. I’m gonna take it back today and get a new one and throw it on a norco charger before I install it to make sure it’s full.
Old 03-12-2024, 09:15 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,285 Likes on 13,961 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good luck. If it proves the battery is not causing the problem, have the parts store check for any trouble codes and consider a trip to the dealer for repair.
Old 03-12-2024, 10:02 AM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Good luck. If it proves the battery is not causing the problem, have the parts store check for any trouble codes and consider a trip to the dealer for repair.
I’d have to tow it to the parts store. So if not this then I guess I’ll test the alternator just strange that sitting longer will let it start.
Old 03-12-2024, 01:40 PM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I’d have to tow it to the parts store. So if not this then I guess I’ll test the alternator just strange that sitting longer will let it start.
I don't think it's a battery or alternator issue especially if it cranks but doesn't start. My guess would be a fuel system issue like a bad fuel pump or fuel pump control module. Sometimes these auto parts stores will rent out or lend out a code reader. That should be your first item to test to see if there are any codes. You may not get any fault codes depending on what failed as only certain readers can pull all the codes but doesn't hurt to try. Would he be able to hear the fuel pump running on a C7 during a failed start? I've never had this issue so I've never listened for the pump running and I'm not sure how to trigger it without a crank. Would holding the start button down without the foot on the brake to enter service mode cause the pump to prime?
Old 03-12-2024, 01:43 PM
JasonR2021
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Oh and when our GMC Terrain fuel pump control module went out, it would start and run for a few seconds if left for a while. No idea why other than maybe remaining fuel vaporizing and getting drawn into the combustion chamber.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:06 PM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JasonR2021
I don't think it's a battery or alternator issue especially if it cranks but doesn't start. My guess would be a fuel system issue like a bad fuel pump or fuel pump control module. Sometimes these auto parts stores will rent out or lend out a code reader. That should be your first item to test to see if there are any codes. You may not get any fault codes depending on what failed as only certain readers can pull all the codes but doesn't hurt to try. Would he be able to hear the fuel pump running on a C7 during a failed start? I've never had this issue so I've never listened for the pump running and I'm not sure how to trigger it without a crank. Would holding the start button down without the foot on the brake to enter service mode cause the pump to prime?
yeah my original thought was fuel because the last time it did drive when it died a mile from my house the battery was showing 12.6v. I’m not sure how to prime the pump in this. The only other corvette I had was a 76 stingray and for that you just turned on accessories mode and pumped the pedal
Old 03-18-2024, 01:54 PM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by JasonR2021
so I dropped it off at my mechanic and it’s got power, it’s got fuel, the fuses are good. Still no start only crank. No codes. Stumped.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:22 PM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,298 Likes on 859 Posts

Is your mechanic able to read ALL GM codes or just the generic ones. Be aware that there is a low pressure electric fuel pump in the left tank and a high pressure cam driven fuel pump on the engine. The fuel injectors will not operate until the engine mounted fuel pressure sensor shows sufficient pressure. Doubt this sensor triggers a generic code

GL

Ron
ChrisBorton (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 11:14 AM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by RonC7
Is your mechanic able to read ALL GM codes or just the generic ones. Be aware that there is a low pressure electric fuel pump in the left tank and a high pressure cam driven fuel pump on the engine. The fuel injectors will not operate until the engine mounted fuel pressure sensor shows sufficient pressure. Doubt this sensor triggers a generic code

GL

Ron
I’ll ask him later today. When I talked to him again last night he told me it was getting fuel so I assumed the pumps were good. He did tell me he was waiting on a sensor. I think crankshaft but I’m not 100%
Old 03-19-2024, 11:53 AM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

This may sound silly but make sure your gas pedal and associated wiring is good. If the ECM "sees" the pedal floored during start, it goes into flood clear condition and deactivates the injectors. If your mechanic has a scanner, have him read the throttle position during crank.
ChrisBorton (03-19-2024)
Old 04-10-2024, 02:49 PM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Default Update

Update: it’s been at the dealer for over 2 weeks now. Took them a week to diagnose it then they said the fuel pump module was bad. Covered with gm warranty. 13 hour job. They finished installing it this morning and it started but again died while they test drove. So they’re still trying to find the problem. I’ve drove this car less than 300 miles and only had it for 2 weeks. Before it broke down. That was September. Here we are in April and still can’t even find the issue. Definitely starting to regret selling my Camaro for this.
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Default Another update

Ok so I’m pretty new to corvettes. Bought a 2015 stingray 2LT auto 60k miles. Had it for about 2 weeks then it died while driving. No lights or anything came on. Didn’t notice til I went to take off from a stop sign so it must have died while coasting to the stop. Then it wouldn’t turn over. Had a tow truck come out to jump it and the battery was low from trying to start it so many times. Wouldn’t jump start. I tow it home and throw the battery on a norco charger and get it to full charge and leave it for a couple days. The car starts and I move it to my garage and hook the charger back up. Left it hooked up all winter. Now about 2 weeks ago I took it off the charger and started it up. It fired right up. Ran a little rough. Went to go drive to auto zone to test the battery and less than a mile from my house it does the same thing, as I was coasting to stop the car died and wouldn’t start back up. Tried to jump the car and it wouldn’t start back up. Tow it home and change the battery. Still won’t start. But if I leave it sit for a week, it will crank and turn over right away like 3rd crank, but then immediately die again. Had a little over 3/4 tank of gas. Bought some heat and fuel system cleaner (was hoping maybe just got some bad gas) and put it in and then topped it off with another 5 gallons of gas. Let it sit for a day and then it cranked and turned over but then immediately died again. But this time I was able to crank and turn over 3 times. It immediately died every time, but still turned over 3 times. Have not been able to have it stay running for even one second since it died while driving 2 weeks ago. All the gauges and everything work. I don’t understand why if it sits for a week it will turn over.

so changed the battery twice, starter fuse, fuel pump module, high pressure fuel pump. It’s starting now, but now it idles high, then idles low, then dies. The dealership has had to contact GM tech support multiple times cuz they still can’t figure it out.

Get notified of new replies

To Cranks but no start

Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Default Update again: Engine Blown

so changed the battery twice, starter fuse, fuel pump module, high pressure fuel pump. It’s starting now, but now it idles high, then idles low, then dies. The dealership has had to contact GM tech support multiple times cuz they still can’t figure it out.

Well just got a call from the dealership and they now say the engine is blown. I don’t even know what to say.
Old Today, 07:50 AM
Tinkertech
Burning Brakes

Received 443 Likes on 276 Posts

Well just got a call from the dealership and they now say the engine is blown. I don’t even know what to say.
I had a bad feeling from the start of this thread that you had major engine problems, just did not want to say it.

Sorry to hear it.

Good luck on the repairs.
Old Today, 09:00 AM
ChrisBorton
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Tinkertech
I had a bad feeling from the start of this thread that you had major engine problems, just did not want to say it.

Sorry to hear it.

Good luck on the repairs.

sucks because I just bought this piece of **** for 45k. And had it for less than a month before spending $500 on towing, $500 on batteries, $1100 for the high pressure fuel pump, however much the starter fuse costs, I think the fuel pump module was warrantied. And now I have to turn around and get a new engine. Which the dealership it’s at says that IF it’s warrantied then I have to pay to have it towed an hour to the dealership I bought it from. And the way she was talking was it wasn’t looking like it was gonna be covered. So bought the car for 45k, less than a month later it breaks down, thought I fixed it with the battery so it sits all winter, now spent over $2k in repairs just to find out I need a new engine so like another $15k.

Quick Reply: Cranks but no start