Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 01:05 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

A few questions:

1. I lowered my car...yes I know everyone says stock ride height is better but I like the look. No negative effect from it in ride quality and its been 2 years since I did it. I assume this means less travel in the shock? Any tunings changes if its lowered?

2. Is the launch control tune automatic, or can it be when starting from a dead stop? This is what I am most interested in. At 650rwhp some extra traction in first and second would really help.

Last edited by NoOne; 02-05-2017 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:21 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NoOne
A few questions:

1. I lowered my car...yes I know everyone says stock ride height is better but I like the look. No negative effect from it in ride quality and its been 2 years since I did it. I assume this means less travel in the shock? Any tunings changes if its lowered?

2. Is the launch control tune automatic, or can it be when starting from a dead stop? This is what I am most interested in. At 650rwhp some extra traction in first and second would really help.
Have you gone into the DSC tuner software and gone into setting and with the car level surface key on Zero Travel this will allow the velocity table to be the most effective.
As for launch do you have the launch firmware?
Go to tools then test serial port press start then type v enter let me know the version
Launch ends in lnc
Old 02-05-2017, 04:30 PM
08G8V8
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 79 Posts

So I had my alignment done and never zeroed out the travel. Will doing it now after the fact have any impact on my alignment?
Old 02-05-2017, 04:36 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 08G8V8
So I had my alignment done and never zeroed out the travel. Will doing it now after the fact have any impact on my alignment?
It will not effect the setup or alignment but the DSC will perform even better when the travel is zeroed
Old 02-05-2017, 06:28 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
wellll, I installed the DSC Controller a few hours ago and went for a drive

And as you can guess, ... I AM AMAZED
Thank you Foosh, rikhek, and DSC Sport for everything.

I literally noticed a difference just backing out my driveway and going 200 feet to the main road at the end of my street.
Went for a 20 mile drive down the highway, which where I am in MA has lots of bridge over passes and rough spots.
My Son came with me and even noticed the difference as a passenger.
As we were rolling along we were talking and a few times I wasn't paying attention as we talked.
Couple times it took me a a few seconds to realize we just went over sharp bridge expansions and I didn't even realize it.
The car soaked up the sharp imperfections in the road almost as if they weren't there.

For those wondering if the car now rides like a Marshmallow bouncing down the road, ... it doesn't.
It rides smoother, yet still totally planted and controlled like it was before installing the DSC Controller.

I drive this stretch of highway all the time and know all the bumps and rough spots.
Now it's as if they're not even there in most cases, and the rougher spots are no where near as drastic going over them.

When heading back home on this particular area of highway, there's one particular bridge overpass, and for some reason the State hasn't resurfaced it in a few years.
Instead, they keep Patching it.
It's about 300 feet of total patches of asphalt and cement covering every inch of the expansion, and each patch is a lump.
There's even a Sign at one end Warning drivers " Rough Road Ahead "

Shortly after is my exit which is a 360 loop bringing me back up over the highway, and that short over pass is all Cement with all Patches and, .. expansion crevices.
I had the car in Sport mode all this time and didn't realize it.
The car took both spots better than it used to in Tour mode with the OEM Controller.
And when I get to that spot on the exit over pass, I usually put the pedal down because there's a 600 foot stretch of straight road before I need to shut it down.
It rolled over that short rough patch under hard acceleration like it wasn't there.

Anyone wondering if this DSC Controller is worth getting, I'd have to say Yes.
And rikhek and Foosh are not exaggerating when they say how nice the improvement is.
I'll say YMMV to cover my butt ... but I don't' think I need to and I haven't even fully tested it yet.

As for Remove and Install: it "is" Plug and Play.
It took about 2 hours and completing the job taking into consideration getting everything ready, Tools, Jack to remove wheel, and "head lamp," ( which I recommend using ) .
I also took pictures step by step and say it is a little Tricky getting the OEM Controller out being a first time thing.
But, it's then rather easy putting the DSC Controller back in and buttoning every up.

It will take me a while, but will try to post back when I can after the pictures are marked up with Arrows and Text to show what I ran into with the Tricky parts.
Should help make it easier for some of you other DIY'ers

That's all for now and don't think my grin will be gone for a while
Part of me was hoping you'd say Mehh, it's OK. That way I wouldn't be tempted to buy one, oh well looks like I'm placing an order.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 02-05-2017 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (02-06-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 06:56 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Have you gone into the DSC tuner software and gone into setting and with the car level surface key on Zero Travel this will allow the velocity table to be the most effective.
As for launch do you have the launch firmware?
Go to tools then test serial port press start then type v enter let me know the version
Launch ends in lnc
Don't have one yet. Going on the car when the snow stops.

My question was related to someone from DSC I believe(I think) stating that lowering the car was detrimental to handling. So since I assume the tuning was done with stock ride height in mind would any adjustments need to be made?
Old 02-05-2017, 07:49 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

My question was related to someone from DSC I believe(I think) stating that lowering the car was detrimental to handling. So since I assume the tuning was done with stock ride height in mind would any adjustments need to be made?
I would only pay attention to my setup. Rear upright angle or caster is critical. Make sure to zero travel under settings in the DSC tuner software
Old 02-05-2017, 11:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

If you scroll up to post #119, you'll see the published DSC alignment specs. Underneath each chart is the note that says stock height is recommended.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-05-2017 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:09 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

That was likely my post and I'm not from DSC - just a long time user and fan of the product. My point was that the suspension was designed to operate at stock height. When you lower the car you change the geometry of the components which has been covered in other threads on the forum.

In any case I wouldn't worry about changing the calibration just because you're lowered. Remember - it's a dynamic system. Above all else, listen to what Mike says - he's the suspension engineer and I'm just some random guy on the Internet trying to help where I can.

Old 02-06-2017, 10:15 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
That was likely my post and I'm not from DSC - just a long time user and fan of the product. My point was that the suspension was designed to operate at stock height. When you lower the car you change the geometry of the components which has been covered in other threads on the forum.

In any case I wouldn't worry about changing the calibration just because you're lowered. Remember - it's a dynamic system. Above all else, listen to what Mike says - he's the suspension engineer and I'm just some random guy on the Internet trying to help where I can.

I have taken a few pics of the stock ride height it shows an accurate measurement point as well as what I have found to be the stock ride heights see attached
Attached Images    
Kaged (02-06-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 06:47 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

My DS is now C'd. Given the profoundly positive feedback I decided to jump in. I'm a critical **** so expect honest feedback from me if you're someone on the fence about this product. So far installation was easy. The software connection with the computer was finicky but tech support when I called DSC Sport directly was excellent.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:33 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I'm on their website to buy this, but all I see is this:
V2 Controller – Corvette

Is this the correct item?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
My DS is now C'd. Given the profoundly positive feedback I decided to jump in. I'm a critical **** so expect honest feedback from me if you're someone on the fence about this product. So far installation was easy. The software connection with the computer was finicky but tech support when I called DSC Sport directly was excellent.
I still haven't pull the trigger more because of to busy, love to hear your opinion.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:46 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes Joe, that's it.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:49 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes Joe, that's it.
Thanks. I'm going to buy that now before I go to AZ. Save the sales tax. This item will be just the ticket (pun not intended) for me on the Z06 I'm going to buy. I always wanted to be able to run in Track mode with a smoother ride.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Keep in mind what the device does, which is to be firm when it needs to be and softer when that is the best solution. I wouldn't call Track mode, or any other mode, "soft," but road imperfections in all modes are absorbed much more effectively.
joemessman (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:12 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by joemessman
I'm on their website to buy this, but all I see is this:
V2 Controller – Corvette

Is this the correct item?
Yes this is the DSCsport controller for all C7 with magneride
here is a quick link to order http://www.dscsport.com/product/v2-controller-corvette/
Thanks
joemessman (02-09-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 02-09-2017, 04:59 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Default Camaro instructions are here - controllers coming soon!

Don't want to veer off topic too much, but we know there's a decent amount of interest on this forum for the Camaro applications as well.

DSC Sport is proud to announce we now have installation instructions for the Camaro, and full support will be coming soon!

Want to stay up to date with development on the Camaro? Subscribe here.

You can also check out the installation instructions here.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:16 PM
95bat
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

Will the Corvette controller work on a Camaro with a software update?

I've thought about selling my car for a ZL1... would be nice to take the shock controller with it on the small chance I actually do it.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

First impressions, I'm pretty impressed. I loaded the plush tour file and Tour mode is on par with my late Cadillac CTS-V. No more jarring impacts on things like railroad tracks or even the reflectors in the lane paint. There is also a noticeable difference in undulation on the road. Without the DSC, the car would abruptly follow the contour of a wave in the road (think of going over a small hill or dip in front of you). With the plush Tour mode, you can feel the wheels drop while the chassis moves independently upwards. More of a gliding feeling over the undulation rather than the car trying to trace it. Clearly the softer dampers are allowing better 'consumption' of road contours in the plush mode. Go to Sport and it tightens things back down.

Also very noticeable is the ability to put power down. If I understand correctly, the DSC controller reads acceleration Gs and throttle travel to soften the rear dampers. The car just squats and GOES now. Big difference.

Finally, I like that Touring mode can 'wake up' and become nimble when desired. Without the DSC, I'd pick Tour and the car would lean in corners and dive under braking. It was cruising that required a change to Sport if you wanted some better chassis dynamics. With the DSC, the car stays flat, avoids brake dive, and is ready to play whenever you are. I liken it to the suspension being on its toes and having better reflexes. Without the DSC, the shocks didn't know you were asking them to dance. With the DSC, they're eagerly awaiting your queue.

I go to Sebring at the end of March and plan to test it out in the track setting. My tires are getting tired and I was consistent on best lap times my last two events within 0.5s. If I can beat my best lap time, well I'll chalk that up to the DSC controller. Everything else will have been constant despite slightly older tires.

Last edited by spearfish25; 02-09-2017 at 09:11 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by spearfish25:
AaronZ51 (03-08-2017), cheapthrills (02-10-2017), Dif (02-10-2017), Foosh (02-09-2017)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations