DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by Vonfido
i put my car in Tour - does it show up somewhere that there is a Tour Plush mode?
My post #312 shows the difference in the shock calibration between the DSC Tour program and the DSC Tour Plush.
As spearfish25 mentioned, it's still Tour mode when you select it, but with a different program.
I ordered the DSC Controller and installed it on 02-03-17 and reviewed in post #203.
Then Thanks to spear25 in post #240 he mentioned the Tour Plush program he installed
So I downloaded the DSC Tuning Software and the Tour Plush File/program and installed.
All the info/procedure/instructions etc are on the DSC website.
Either way, would think Excelsior can help you no problem
Old 02-20-2017, 07:08 PM
Elevenbravo
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Are there notes detailing the differences in the calibration files?

1. Base file for C7 with stock dampers (non-velocity)
2. Base file for stock dampers w/ Velocity tuning
3. PTM/Velocity/Launch Control (requires LNC Firmware)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:20 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Elevenbravo
Are there notes detailing the differences in the calibration files?

1. Base file for C7 with stock dampers (non-velocity)
2. Base file for stock dampers w/ Velocity tuning
3. PTM/Velocity/Launch Control (requires LNC Firmware)
Not really. Just download #3 with the latest firmware.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 45 Posts

My car was loaded with the very latest software/firmware today so it is already setup Tour Plush.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

^ Vonfido, just curious
How did you find out/know you have the Tour Plush already installed.
Did you contact Excelsior
Old 02-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Dif,

When I made arrangements to take my car to DSC Sport for alignment and installation, I talked to Mike beforehand and mentioned that one of my main priorities was a soft Tour ride because of the bad pavement conditions that are common in this area. When I arrived, Mike told me he had "tweaked" the DSC default Tour settings on mine for a softer Tour ride on rough roads, while leaving all other modes the same.

He didn't call it "plush tour," but I'm assuming that's what he came up with, and what is now on the website. Whatever it is, I love it on our rough roads in the DC-area. Hopefully DSC will jump on and confirm, but I'm guessing that's what's now on the website.

However, interestingly enough, all modes are now better on rough pavement. And I agree, than even in the "softer" Tour mode, the car stiffens up when you start getting sporty. I also agree, that it hunkers down and just sticks on a hard launch.
The following users liked this post:
Dif (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:46 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Sorry if I missed this in this thread, but will Blu-tooth be coming out so you don't need the USB interface? I thought I read somewhere it was under development.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:52 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Dif
The roads cleared and just couldn't wait to try the Tour Plush settings/program.
There was a Noticeable improvement with the canned DSC Tour program compared to the GM OEM Tour mode.
Now there's Very Noticeable difference over the canned DSC Tour program with the DSC Tour Plush program installed
Even smoother ride over any kind of road surface including shallow pot holes.
And this is with the Z51 suspension.
At highway speeds, there's a slight quick bounce over rough quick dips in the road, but car is still very stable.
I wondered if it would sacrifice handling a little, but it seems to have improved it when needed.
This time of year I'm running the older Original version Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires.
And used to be able to make the rear kick out for an instant before it would grab again when pushing the car on an exit.
Keeping it in Tour Plush, I pushed it on an exit and half way through hit the throttle harder trying to get the rear to kick out a bit.
Not happening now, rear digs in and car tracks straight through
Thank You DSC Sport
This is so cool for me personally I have the utmost satisfaction in all the hard work and relentless track days miles and just about 10 straight years of development time in the DSCsport ecu. Thank You so much for the review.
Regards, Michael Levitas avid longtime corvette owner
Dif (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:04 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Sorry if I missed this in this thread, but will Blu-tooth be coming out so you don't need the USB interface? I thought I read somewhere it was under development.
It's Wi-Fi not BT, and yes it is on all the units shipping now. It's active on mine, and I see it on my phone, but I haven't done anything with it since I'm completely happy w/ the way it was set up at DSC Sport.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:25 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Default Tour Plush?

Originally Posted by Dif
^ Vonfido, just curious
How did you find out/know you have the Tour Plush already installed.
Did you contact Excelsior
I did contact Excelsior and was reminded that I had the very latest updates with the very latest controller. While I was at Excelsior Kushan actually called DSC and confirmed that my car had all the most up to date settings. Kushan was all excited because Mike picked up the phone and started talking about different race prep, tires alignment, tire temp, tire pressure etc. Its obvious these guys are extremely passionate about these cars and wring every last ounce of performance they can while providing the best ride possible. You could say there is a bromance with Kushan and Mike. Stoked I found out about the controller and was lucky to live not far from Excelsior. The car rides so much better. Its subtle but its not if that makes sense. No road feel is lost but you don't feel as jolted and minor vibrations seem greatly diminished.
Kudos to Mike for designing it and Excelsior for setting mine up.

PS - Nobody called it Tour Plush when I talked to them.
Dif (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Right, WiFi, not BT - sorry. So last post I could find says they are working on WiFi. Just wanted to make sure you can configure and upgrade it using the WiFI without bothering with the USB cable at all. I did not want to order if a new hardware version was coming out with WiFi support.

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
the wi-fi is working i have to test security been working on the new camaro ill have it tested this week
with the key on zero travel under settings
Any group buy for this?

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-21-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:53 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Flame,

Mike told me all currently-shipped units are Wi-Fi capable, and he used it on mine to zero out suspension travel from his phone. Mike told me the same thing on the security settings.

I saw it work, and I see it on my phone when I pull up the Wi-Fi setting menu when my car is powered up.
Flame Red (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Foosh
Dif,

When I made arrangements to take my car to DSC Sport for alignment and installation, I talked to Mike beforehand and mentioned that one of my main priorities was a soft Tour ride because of the bad pavement conditions that are common in this area. When I arrived, Mike told me he had "tweaked" the DSC default Tour settings on mine for a softer Tour ride on rough roads, while leaving all other modes the same.

He didn't call it "plush tour," but I'm assuming that's what he came up with, and what is now on the website. Whatever it is, I love it on our rough roads in the DC-area. Hopefully DSC will jump on and confirm, but I'm guessing that's what's now on the website.

However, interestingly enough, all modes are now better on rough pavement. And I agree, than even in the "softer" Tour mode, the car stiffens up when you start getting sporty. I also agree, that it hunkers down and just sticks on a hard launch.
Foosh I presumed you had the Tour Plush seeing Mike set it up for you.
My question for Vonfido was because I've followed the timeline from when you, me, spearfish25, and Vonfido, had installed the DSC Controller.
It "seems" if ordered online like I did, the Controller does not come with Tour Plush.
Yes, it's now on the website and that's why I downloaded/installed it after spearfish25 mentioned it.
As I mentioned in my other post, I compared the files, and it was not in my Controller originally I received it.
In comparison, getting it installed/setup by DSC or Excelsior, then they put in the Tour Plush.
Again, just curious if now the Controllers are Shipped with Tour Plush.
Z06012-30-2016 PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML.pdt s

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
This is so cool for me personally I have the utmost satisfaction in all the hard work and relentless track days miles and just about 10 straight years of development time in the DSCsport ecu. Thank You so much for the review.
Regards, Michael Levitas avid longtime corvette owner
You're Very Welcome Mike and Deserve to feel Really Good about what you accomplished
It's almost hard to put into words, but the word Amazing comes to mind
Best Regards, Frank
Old 02-21-2017, 01:33 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Frank,

I'm pretty sure your analysis is correct. I think what is now known as "Tour Plush" is one of the biggest selling points, because with easy mode select, you're not giving anything up, performance-wise, since you also have greatly improved Sport, Track, and all PTM modes.
Dif (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:08 PM
Cpenque
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just spoke with someone at DSC regarding Tour vs Tour Plush. He seemed unfamiliar with Tour Plush, maybe it was the terminology because he mentioned Launch Control during the explanation.

Since I do not intend to track the car, I was trying to determine the benefit of the controller in a non tracking scenario. He also mentioned the need for a four wheel alignment.

I would appreciate any input from anyone who has installed the controller and using it similar to what I am considering. Especially, the wheel alignment issue and overall satisfaction with the setup and use.

It looks like I need a warm fuzzy before I actually jump into this. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:27 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Start at the beginning of this thread and read all the way though. There are HUGE benefits to be gained even if your car never sees the track.

I don't know how any more can be said that hasn't already been stated above. There is 100% agreement from everyone on this very lengthy thread who has installed the controller that it is a game changer purely for street use.

And yes, you should get the alignment done whether you install the controller or not. The factory alignment is really just a quick, crude check that happens as cars roll off the line.
Cpenque (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:29 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Default im not racing either

Originally Posted by Cpenque
I just spoke with someone at DSC regarding Tour vs Tour Plush. He seemed unfamiliar with Tour Plush, maybe it was the terminology because he mentioned Launch Control during the explanation.

Since I do not intend to track the car, I was trying to determine the benefit of the controller in a non tracking scenario. He also mentioned the need for a four wheel alignment.

I would appreciate any input from anyone who has installed the controller and using it similar to what I am considering. Especially, the wheel alignment issue and overall satisfaction with the setup and use.

It looks like I need a warm fuzzy before I actually jump into this. Thanks for your help.
I have not had my car aligned - doesn't mean I won't but the benefits are a much better ride in Tour mode. I have not gone on a run yet nor stomped hard on the gas yet but I can tell that it seems more connected giving it even a little push - definitely more comfortable on the crappy freeways here in so cal. Its subtle but at the same time not at all.
Cpenque (02-21-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 02-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I wouldn't call it "subtle" at all, because I find it dramatic, but I think I know what you mean.

Even without alignment, the car will "feel" better, but with the proper alignment it will track better, corner more crisply and steering feel is enhanced.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-21-2017 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 02:42 PM
Vonfido
Instructor

Default I agree but

Originally Posted by Foosh
I wouldn't call it "subtle" at all, because I find it dramatic, but I think I know what you mean.
since you have it you know what I'm saying - It feels even more connected without the irritating choppy and buzzing feeling - I am VERY VERY happy with it and can't wait to play in every mode - too bad I have to do my day job and can't just play in my car all daty today
Foosh (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Cpenque
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks again for the responses. I had been through this entire thread and like most everyone else, I got excited about the controller. I called DSC to clarify a couple of points, but came away more confused. Since the nearest dealer is about 1000 miles from here in Eugene, OR, I was looking for some possible local assistance.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations