Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:15 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
Isnt it cool what chassis does. you can get more from chassis tuning than adding power. but if you have a good chassis its way cool to have lots of power
Yeah if I ever upgrade to a Z this unit is certainly coming along.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:27 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by cheapthrills
Yeah if I ever upgrade to a Z this unit is certainly coming along.
we have application for alot of cars
Old 02-24-2017, 01:31 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

I can only think of 1 thing that would have made this whole experience better.....WiFi

Ready when you are
Old 02-24-2017, 01:54 PM
rb185afm
Drifting

Received 551 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm going to be running 18" rims with slicks. Does anyone know if they have a canned track tune to work with slicks? Or is the normal canned tune capable of taking full advantage from the extra grip?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:06 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I'm going to be running 18" rims with slicks. Does anyone know if they have a canned track tune to work with slicks? Or is the normal canned tune capable of taking full advantage from the extra grip?
The canned tune will work great with slicks. Mike did the track testing for the canned tune on Cup tires which are close enough to slicks for chassis tuning purposes.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Cpenque
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I do have some additional comments and questions.

After reviewing the discussion here regarding the DSC Controller, the following applies. In my post (335) I had mentioned that I had spoken with someone at DSC regarding Tour and Tour Plush, which was met initially with silence and then told it was associated with Launch Control. I said I was unaware of Launch Control in Tour mode. The discussion went downhill from there.

So, I went to the DSC website and sent an email stating that I was planning on getting the controller. I asked if it could be pre-installed with Tour Plush, is it wifi capable, and the status of the controller updates. This was sent a few days ago and to date, there has been no response.

Since then, I have some additional questions hoping Mike (DSC) and/or someone here can address:

1. In post 156, Mike stated that angle (rear caster) should be +.75 degrees. Is this a departure from the DSC recommended alignment specs of +.7?

2. When the DSC Controller is installed for the first time, is there a requirement to perform a shock calibration, ie. zero out the shocks? Is this what is depicted in post 312 and must be performed four times (once for each shock) or can the "All" selection be used one time?

3. I remember something about Zero Travel with respect to something in the program. I asked this question during my phone conversation and after what seemed like research on his part, I was told it meant "standing still, not moving". I was hoping for a better explanation than that.

Again I am impressed by the excitement and satisfaction of all of you with this controller. It must be good because I don't see a DSC return policy.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/biggrin5.gif Once I am comfortable, I intend to join the rest of you.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:12 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Yesterday another perfect day to drive, sunny, 81f, another perfect topless day. While FL turns are few and far between, there are places to have some fun if you venture out and look for them. I had a chance to shake the *** loose a couple of times yesterday and it's a such a difference, takes way more throttle, the tires seem to bite in way quicker and the return to straight way easier. Cleary you can throw more power into a turn from my few attempts.
It's a whole different car now
I don't usually drive it in winter unless the roads are all dry.
It's 70 today in Mass and snow is melting fast with a lot of run off onto the roads, but I don't care any more.
It's way too much fun now with this Controller setup and just had to take it for a spin
Time to liquidate and move to Florida full time
Old 02-24-2017, 04:56 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Cpenque
I don't want to beat a dead horse here, but I do have some additional comments and questions.

After reviewing the discussion here regarding the DSC Controller, the following applies. In my post (335) I had mentioned that I had spoken with someone at DSC regarding Tour and Tour Plush, which was met initially with silence and then told it was associated with Launch Control. I said I was unaware of Launch Control in Tour mode. The discussion went downhill from there.

So, I went to the DSC website and sent an email stating that I was planning on getting the controller. I asked if it could be pre-installed with Tour Plush, is it wifi capable, and the status of the controller updates. This was sent a few days ago and to date, there has been no response.

Since then, I have some additional questions hoping Mike (DSC) and/or someone here can address:

1. In post 156, Mike stated that angle (rear caster) should be +.75 degrees. Is this a departure from the DSC recommended alignment specs of +.7?

2. When the DSC Controller is installed for the first time, is there a requirement to perform a shock calibration, ie. zero out the shocks? Is this what is depicted in post 312 and must be performed four times (once for each shock) or can the "All" selection be used one time?

3. I remember something about Zero Travel with respect to something in the program. I asked this question during my phone conversation and after what seemed like research on his part, I was told it meant "standing still, not moving". I was hoping for a better explanation than that.

Again I am impressed by the excitement and satisfaction of all of you with this controller. It must be good because I don't see a DSC return policy.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/biggrin5.gif Once I am comfortable, I intend to join the rest of you.
Hello sir,

Jordan here.

I do my absolute best to respond to every inquiry that comes through the website personally. A few nights ago I responded to an email from home on my phone that sounds a lot like your inquiry. The email repeatedly bounced back, saying it was an invalid email address. I made a mental note to check the email address and see if I could figure out if it was a simple typo that was made when I got back into the office, but I must have forgotten so my apologies if that was you.

I will do my best to answer your questions, and I'm sure Mike will correct me if I give any misinformation here.

1. There is a range of tolerance on the rear caster. I'm sure Mike can provide exactly what that range is (I have a good idea but do not want to give any misinformation), but .7-.75 is the TARGET rear caster number. There has been no departure on rear caster numbers.

2. It is best practice to zero the shocks to optimize the velocity tuning function. They can be done all at once. We have a video (apologies for the poor quality - it was a cell phone video and for some reason didn't upload properly) that we posted a few days ago that can hopefully clear this up for you:

3. The zero travel function (question 2 above) is a simple calibration so that velocity tuning strategies function properly. The car must be stopped and on a level surface, as it is determining the static position

Regarding launch control and your previous discussions on the phone with sales members...please understand that the DSC Sport launch control feature is not to be confused with the factory launch control. Factory controls RPM and boost, while DSC Sport controls the damping level to maximize grip on launch.

And one final thing to bear in mind...Mike is extremely passionate about the DSC Sport products; he lives, eats, and breathes this work. He spends countless hours outside of work, at home or on the road, testing, tuning, and engaging with members on this forum. If Mike makes a major breakthrough in tuning, makes a change that he's very excited about - and it's in the middle of the night, when he's on the road, on a weekend, etc. - he very well may share it with all of you before he shares it with us. Please be patient with our sales team. We do our absolute best to provide accurate information to the best of our knowledge, but there are times when we are learning alongside all of you.

We are all - Mike especially - very passionate about what we do, and we're always happy to help. If you ever have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact us. If we don't have the right answer, we will do our very best to get that answer for you.

Regards,

Jordan
The following 3 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
Cpenque (02-25-2017), Elevenbravo (02-24-2017), Foosh (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:07 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by rb185afm
I've probably got 20 track days with the DSC controller and slicks. The setup works fantastic! Remember the system is dynamic. More tire grip means more G's. More G's mean you just move to a different square in the table. Same for more brake and more gas.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-24-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

I can only think of 1 thing that would have made this whole experience better.....WiFi

Ready when you are
I'm confused. I asked this same question about WiFi and was told it is on the units and available and loading stuff via USB was no longer necessary.

Originally Posted by Foosh
Flame,

Mike told me all currently-shipped units are Wi-Fi capable, and he used it on mine to zero out suspension travel from his phone. Mike told me the same thing on the security settings.

I saw it work, and I see it on my phone when I pull up the Wi-Fi setting menu when my car is powered up.
I'm ready to order too, but I don't want to have to mess with a USB.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

It is on all the latest units, and it does work. Mike used the wi-fi connection to zero the shocks from his phone on my car when it was installed in his shop in mid-January.

He's said he needs to test some security issues before opening it up to customers . . . patience, brothers and sisters. In the meantime, enjoy the pre-loaded settings. They are really spectacular.

If you want to wait, fine, but you can zero out the shocks on the unit before buttoning up the fender liner.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-24-2017 at 05:38 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:45 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Foosh
It is on all the latest units, and it does work. Mike used the wi-fi connection to zero the shocks from his phone on my car when it was installed in his shop in mid-January.

He's said he needs to test some security issues before opening it up to customers . . . patience, brothers and sisters. In the meantime, enjoy the pre-loaded settings. They are really spectacular.

If you want to wait, fine, but you can zero out the shocks on the unit before buttoning up the fender liner.
Exactly, I was to impatient and buttoned up for a spin figuring I could get my big mitts in there and hook up the USB later, flawed thinking. No big deal though pretty easy to get the unit back out. WiFi is working, just no passwords yet.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:51 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dif
It's a whole different car now
I don't usually drive it in winter unless the roads are all dry.
It's 70 today in Mass and snow is melting fast with a lot of run off onto the roads, but I don't care any more.
It's way too much fun now with this Controller setup and just had to take it for a spin
Time to liquidate and move to Florida full time
On the downside this is a FL road map

The following 2 users liked this post by cheapthrills:
Dif (02-24-2017), phantasms (04-22-2017)
Old 02-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Exactly, I was to impatient and buttoned up for a spin figuring I could get my big mitts in there and hook up the USB later, flawed thinking. No big deal though pretty easy to get the unit back out. WiFi is working, just no passwords yet.
Correct.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:52 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

WiFi is working, just no passwords yet.
My iphone connects but my computer won't. Not much I can do with the phone connected.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:17 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

on the downside this is a fl road map

lmfao!!!

Last edited by rikhek; 02-24-2017 at 09:17 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:45 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

^ New England = lots of winding roads and hills and seacoast windy roads and winding curvy back roads and winding mountain roads and...
Florida = Flat and Straight roads

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's another benefit of the DSC programming I found today.
I'm guilty of running my tires Summer time at 28 cold and they run 31-32 hot.
If I set them to 30 in Summer, they run 33-34/35 hot and the ride is noticeably harsh.
Winter time I run 30 PSI cold and being cold out they run 31, "maybe" 32 hot.
Set at 30 for winter now, and today being 70 and sunny, they ran 34-35 hot and No harsh ride
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

On the downside this is a FL road map

Florida roads, at least here is "The City Ugly":
  • 50 tank trap sized pot holes/mile
  • 10 minute red lights at every intersection
  • red light cameras at every light because of super long red lights
  • 4 lane divided highways with 25mph speed limits
  • Tourists that make left hand turns from the right hand lanes
  • Tourists that travel 20 mph below the posted speed limit, usually in the passing lane
  • Grannies that pull out from driveways without stopping or looking for cross traffic
  • Perpetual Construction - not to relieve congestion, just for roads to the new Arenas they waste tax $ on.
  • Best get an automatic unless your love wearing out clutches.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-25-2017 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Flame Red
I'm confused. I asked this same question about WiFi and was told it is on the units and available and loading stuff via USB was no longer necessary.

I'm ready to order too, but I don't want to have to mess with a USB.
there is nothing to be confused about all units being sold have wi-fi and you can see the wi-fi if you key up the car you will see the DSCsport wi-fi. Im currently working on the Camaro and I will verify the security features are in place if I am satisfied they are appropriate ill put out the address to log in and enter your password. then you will be able to perform all the USB cable functions including updates and wi-fi updates. you can more than likely even run the updates through most cell phones.
Have Fun and order soon

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations