Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 07:28 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC Sport
there is nothing to be confused about all units being sold have wi-fi and you can see the wi-fi if you key up the car you will see the DSCsport wi-fi. Im currently working on the Camaro and I will verify the security features are in place if I am satisfied they are appropriate ill put out the address to log in and enter your password. then you will be able to perform all the USB cable functions including updates and wi-fi updates. you can more than likely even run the updates through most cell phones.
Have Fun and order soon
Thanks. So based on the above, I'm placing my order

If you can please pre-load it with the "plush" ride files - that would be most appreciated.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-25-2017 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:58 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Track Review/Observations with DSC Controller

I ran my 2017 C7Z this past Sunday at my home track, Hallett Motor Racing with the DSC Controller. As on the street, it’s hard to describe how well the controller improved the car on track at speed.

Hallett is rough and “bouncy” even after a repave a number of years ago. The controller made the track feel as smooth as COTA. Just amazing. Tracking out of T10 there used to be a big, cringe worthy inundation/imperfection which upset the car and beat the hell out of you. I asked Scott Stephens, the owner of Hallett how he got rid of this “hole”. He said he didn’t do anything and it’s still there. Believe it or not I couldn’t even feel it and I know where it’s at. Likewise with the many other imperfections that beat you up, it was like riding on a new F1 circuit. I was using the curbing heavily and couldn’t even feel them when I got up on and/or off them. I could hit them as hard as I liked and the car didn’t flinch or get upset.

I ran a best lap of 1:23.75 on OEM MPSS ZP tires and Raybestos ST-43 pads. I also had a passenger and full tank of fuel. This is a 1.20 seconds faster than I ran in my 2015 C7Z with same tires, pads, similar track and ambient conditions and a passenger with a full load of fuel.

I gave up some time versus my lap in the 2015 as I was rusty, with a passenger, and ran in PTM Sport 1. It was the first time on track in the 2017 so I took it easy driving 8/10 in Sport 1. I was in PTM Race when I ran the 2015 car driving 9/10.

Also if you watch the video closely note how the car is putting down power and not spinning the tires or getting loose with hard throttle application. It’s just planted. Again, this is due to the DSC controller. I’m able to get onto the throttle much harder tracking out of a corner than with the OEM controller.

Braking is also improved as the nose doesn’t dive under threshold braking AND even with the roughness of the track surface it keeps the tire contact patch on the pavement. So, so impressive.

Chassis was setup with the DSC “Track” alignment. I ran 8 sessions/177 track miles. The front tires were new when I started the day but are now pretty much shot. They wore evenly as I switched them (i.e., L -> R and R -> L) halfway through the day. Hallett is rough on right fronts. Rear tires were also new and wore great. I have more life left in them than I thought I would.

Here’s video for those interested. Watching the car it’s hard to realize just how rough and “bouncy” the track is due to the DSC controller. Note the video doesn’t show my 1:23.75 lap. That session was too long to post on YouTube as it was a 40 minute session. Forty minutes is what I can get out of a full tank of fuel. The video posted shows a best lap of 1:23.94 which is close enough for comparison.

I can honestly say the DSC controller made the car much more enjoyable and easier to drive at speed. IMHO, there isn’t ANY other modification for our cars that will give you a bigger bang for the buck.

Last edited by rikhek; 02-28-2017 at 12:28 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rikhek:
Dif (02-28-2017), Foosh (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 12:11 PM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
I ran my 2017 C7Z this past Sunday at my home track, Hallett Motor Racing with the DSC Controller. As on the street, it’s hard to describe how well the controller improved the car on track at speed.

Hallett is rough and “bouncy” even after a repave a number of years ago. The controller made the track feel as smooth as COTA. Just amazing. Tracking out of T10 there used to be a big, cringe worthy inundation/imperfection which upset the car and beat the hell out of you. I asked Scott Stephens, the owner of Hallett how he got rid of this “hole”. He said he didn’t do anything and it’s still there. Believe it or not I couldn’t even feel it and I know where it’s at. Likewise with the many other imperfections that beat you up, it was like riding on a new F1 circuit. I was using the curbing heavily and couldn’t even feel them when I got up on and/or off them. I could hit them as hard as I liked and the car didn’t flinch or get upset.

I ran a best lap of 1:23.75 on OEM MPSS ZP tires and Raybestos ST-43 pads. I also had a passenger and full tank of fuel. This is a 1.20 seconds faster than I ran in my 2015 C7Z with same tires, pads similar track and ambient conditions and a passenger with a full load of fuel.

I gave up some time versus my lap in the 2015 as I was rusty with a passenger and ran in PTM Sport 1. It was the first time on track in the 2017 so I took it easy driving 8/10 in Sport 1. I was in PTM Race when I ran the 2015 car driving 9/10.

Also if you watch the video closely note how the car is putting down power and not spinning the tires or getting loose with hard throttle application. It’s just planted. Again, this is due to the DSC controller. I’m able to get onto the throttle much harder tracking out of a corner than with the OEM controller.

Braking is also improved as the nose doesn’t dive under threshold braking AND even with the roughness of the track surface it keeps the tire contact patch on the pavement. So, so impressive.

Chassis was setup with the DSC “Track” alignment. I ran 8 sessions/177 track miles. The front tires were new when I started the day but are now pretty much shot. They wore evenly as I switched them (i.e., L -> R and R -> L halfway through the day. Hallett is rough on right fronts. Rear tires were also new and wore great. I have more life left in them than I thought I would.

Here’s video for those interested. Watching the car it’s hard to realize just how rough and “bouncy” the track is due to the DSC controller. Note the video doesn’t show my 1:23.75 lap. That session was too long to post on YouTube as it was a 40 minute session. Forty minutes is what I can get out of a full tank of fuel. The video posted shows a best lap of 1:23.75 which is close enough for comparison.

I can honestly say the DSC controller made the car much more enjoyable and easier to drive at speed. IMHO, there isn’t ANY other modification for our cars that will give you a bigger bang for the buck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGxnwXktf4c
Nice piece of driving big grip no drama looks like a nice car
Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Rookieracer
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 118 Posts

Rikhek,

Great write up and observations!

Would you share with us which file was loaded in the DSC?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:19 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rookieracer
Rikhek,

Great write up and observations!

Would you share with us which file was loaded in the DSC?
Standard files that come loaded in the controller from Mike/DSC with the exception of I loaded the Plush Tour file for boring highway miles.

No way in hell I can tweak what he provides to make it better. He's a professional and has been doing this his entire life. He lives for chassis tuning. I think he's one of the best there is, anywhere....
Old 02-28-2017, 12:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Rick,

Great review and great improvement considering it's your first time out this year and with a passenger.

I continue to be amazed on the streets as well after new experiences. While obeying Waze yesterday, which was valiantly trying to route me around hopeless gridlock, I found myself on a cratered-out street in a not-so-good section of Washington, DC. The DSC Tour program soaked it up effortlessly in ways I wouldn't have thought possible.

I also couldn't agree more with what you said about sticking with Mike's program. I really don't see how it could be improved upon.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-28-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Of the five standard modes, I've never used the "Wet" mode. I wonder if it's possible to load the "Plush Tour" file in the "Wet" position, leaving you with two different "Tour" modes?

I have to get through April 15 before I order anything, so I'm just gathering information. Very impressed with everything I've read so far.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:33 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen1254
Of the five standard modes, I've never used the "Wet" mode. I wonder if it's possible to load the "Plush Tour" file in the "Wet" position, leaving you with two different "Tour" modes?
It's not possible. The PTM modes are different than the three main ride modes. You can't load a shock calibration for the individual PTM modes. You can OFFSET the g table for different PTM modes for the shock calibration in the Track mode.

If you never use Track mode, you can load the Plush shock calibration into your Track profile and then you'll have the plush ride when you choose Track mode or regular touring when you choose Touring mode. You'll lose the super stiff track setting.

Last edited by spearfish25; 03-01-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:41 AM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

I have to get through April 15 before I order anything, so I'm just gathering information. Very impressed with everything I've read so far.
Originally Posted by spearfish25
It's not possible. The PTM modes are different than the three main ride modes. You can't load a shock calibration for the individual PTM modes. You can OFFSET the g table for different PTM modes for the shock calibration in the Track mode.

If you never use Track mode, you can load the Plush shock calibration into your Track profile and then you'll have the plush ride when you choose Track mode or regular touring when you choose Touring mode. You'll lose the super stiff track setting.
For what it's worth here's a Quote from rikhek's OP in regards to the PTM WET and why he started the thread

rikhek Quote " I was out in the country yesterday testing/playing on fun roads with the various modes and observed something "new" I found very interesting/useful just cruising down the highway. Traveling to the fun roads took about 1.5 hours each way on the highway. While cruising I killed the boredom by playing with ALL the shock setting modes.

I was astonished at how comfortable/compliant the ride was while cruising the highway in RACE/PTM WET mode. It was GREATLY better than non-PTM TOURING or non-PTM WEATHER settings. Amazingly good at smoothing out everything including small bumps and expansion joints.

I was surprised enough at the ride that I called DSC Sport from the car on my way home to discuss. They were at first surprised at my observation but then said it makes perfect sense. They said their calibrations in RACE/PTM WET are softer than other OEM settings which results in a much better highway ride. They had just never considered trying that setting on the highway.

Bottom line, my "new" go to setting for going up and down a highway is RACE/PTM WET. Very, very comfortable. Not good for aggressive performance driving but game changing for boring highway cruising" End Quote.

In my experience first installing the DSC Controller, I noticed all 3 modes were softer to a degree.
Since then I loaded the Tour Plush in the Tour mode and it has not just changed Tour Mode.
It has changed Sport and Track also even more.
Each mode is still progressively stiffer, and progressively offer more control.
But even in Track now on the Street, it's Noticeably more Compliant
Old 03-01-2017, 09:05 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

From above
"But even in Track now on the Street, it's Noticeably more Compliant "

I use track on the street way more now then before the controller. Nice and firm bust just way more compliant, you feel the road but don't get beat up by it.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:45 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Changing one mode's settings doesn't change the others. That's just ridiculous.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:26 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dif
For what it's worth here's a Quote from rikhek's OP in regards to the PTM WET and why he started the thread

rikhek Quote " I was out in the country yesterday testing/playing on fun roads with the various modes and observed something "new" I found very interesting/useful just cruising down the highway. Traveling to the fun roads took about 1.5 hours each way on the highway. While cruising I killed the boredom by playing with ALL the shock setting modes.

I was astonished at how comfortable/compliant the ride was while cruising the highway in RACE/PTM WET mode. It was GREATLY better than non-PTM TOURING or non-PTM WEATHER settings. Amazingly good at smoothing out everything including small bumps and expansion joints.

I was surprised enough at the ride that I called DSC Sport from the car on my way home to discuss. They were at first surprised at my observation but then said it makes perfect sense. They said their calibrations in RACE/PTM WET are softer than other OEM settings which results in a much better highway ride. They had just never considered trying that setting on the highway.

Bottom line, my "new" go to setting for going up and down a highway is RACE/PTM WET. Very, very comfortable. Not good for aggressive performance driving but game changing for boring highway cruising" End Quote.

In my experience first installing the DSC Controller, I noticed all 3 modes were softer to a degree.
Since then I loaded the Tour Plush in the Tour mode and it has not just changed Tour Mode.
It has changed Sport and Track also even more.
Each mode is still progressively stiffer, and progressively offer more control.
But even in Track now on the Street, it's Noticeably more Compliant
As it may cause some confusion, I want to let all know I screwed up in my original post. I mistakenly used the word "RACE" instead of "TRACK".

Where I referenced "RACE/PTM WET" I should have stated "TRACK/PTM WET".

Sorry but another member caught this about a week ago. Posting this just to avoid confusion...

Rick

Last edited by rikhek; 03-01-2017 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Are you sure you're not talking about "Weather" mode, which is one of 5 main/standard mode settings? If so, the OEM MSRC setting in Weather is the same as Tour. There are really only 3 OEM MRSC settings in the 5 standard modes (Tour, Sport, and Track).

The Track PTM modes are different. Once you get into Track PTM, things change a bit. In Track PTM Wet, the OEM MSRC setting is Tour.

The DSC Sport controller works the same way w/ the mode selector, but enhances the OEM Tour, Sport and Track settings for much better performance and ride quality.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-01-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:12 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Changing one mode's settings doesn't change the others. That's just ridiculous.
It does not change other mode settings if you go into a Specific mode and only change Individual settings within that Mode.

But "Overwriting" the Original DSC Tour mode File, with what we've been referring to as Tour Plush, is not just a Tour File.
It doesn't only change the Tour settings.
It also Writes to the DSC Controller Core which affects settings in Sport and Track.

This is the File:
Z06012-30-2016 PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML.pdt s ...
aka Tour Plush.
The first part of that File name ( PtmVelocityLaunchFinal ) has to do with PTM - Velocity - Launch Control, .. not just Tour settings.
The file also changes settings in the core.

It was not a Subtle Difference.
I could feel a Very Noticeable difference in Sport, and especially in Track.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining Sport and Track had changed, I opened the Tuning Software to compare the Original DSC Tour file I had saved, with the new installed PTM Tour Plush file for changes, if any, in Sport and Track.

I found different settings in Sport and Track between the 2 files.
Some settings are the same, and some are not.
And to clarify, Tour Plush settings are Totally different, and I do not have 3 Tour modes now

The most noticeable change comparing the 2 file settings is the Velocity settings in Sport and Track.

I have no idea what the settings do, or mean, or if I used the correct terminology explaining it.
But the settings are different, and the way the car Rides and Handles in Sport and Track is different after installing Tour Plush
Old 03-01-2017, 04:09 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Dif - so which do you recommend? The Z06012-30-2016-PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML file or the original stock file, or something you modified yourself?

Last edited by Flame Red; 03-01-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Elevenbravo
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Can the Wifi be turned off?
Old 03-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I don't believe so, it's always powered up, but it's only functional when you connect to it, and enter a certain DSC IP address w/ a password.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-01-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 03-01-2017, 07:42 PM
AaronZ51
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 519 Likes on 294 Posts

Alright - jumping on the bandwagon. Ordered my DSC controller this morning for my Z06 and am really looking forward to driving the car after it's installed! My preferred shop ordered the digital gauge adapter for adjusting caster so hopefully that goes well.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Great, please report back when you're done w/ alignment and installation.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Dif - so which do you recommend? The Z06012-30-2016-PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML file or the original stock file, or something you modified yourself?
Hi Flame, I recommend this file,.. Z06012-30-2016-PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML

The Original Tour settings in the DSC Controller are nice.
But there is a very noticeable improvement, with smoother/softer ride with Tour Plush without loss of Handling.

I don't doing any modifying to the individual files.
Just downloaded the Z06012-30-2016-PtmVelocityLaunchFinaltouringplushML file from the DSC website.
Then loaded it into the Controller, overwriting the Original DSC Tour file.

It seems there's still questions whether or not the Tour Plush file is already in the DSC Controller when they ship now.

Frank
The following users liked this post:
Flame Red (03-02-2017)

Quick Reply: DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations