DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations

Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 PM   #41
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty@ridetech View Post
We have them in stock on the shelf.
This is the V2, right?

Can someone extrapolate more on the softening of the ride in cruising situations? I'm very interested in that aspect as well.

Last edited by spearfish25; 01-05-2017 at 10:55 PM.
spearfish25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 04:36 AM   #42
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Yes, Hoosiers the first time and Pirellis the second. I did have one lap in November that was on its way to sub 2 min on fresh MPSC2 but then I got balked heading down towards 11.
Is that the same VIR Full that Lightning Lap takes place on? Because the Z06 time they have there is 2:44.6, so I'm wondering how there's so much difference to the better for you?
pdiddy972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:40 AM   #43
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy972
Is that the same VIR Full that Lightning Lap takes place on? Because the Z06 time they have there is 2:44.6, so I'm wondering how there's so much difference to the better for you?
Poor-sha drives across the grass and re-enters the track when no one is looking.
The Following User Says Thank You to spearfish25 For This Useful Post:
pdiddy972 (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 08:07 AM   #44
rikhek
CF Senior Member

There's a parallel thread discussing the DSC controller on the Z06 forum. Forum member MacManInfi has a controller and tried the PTM/WET setting to see if it smoothed out the ride. His observation:

I'm so stoked. I've been wanting to eliminate the small road bumps from touring mode and was hoping I could tune it out. Now I know for sure that you can. I'm in love with the DSC unit!!!

Gonna get my cable run (couldn't today because of the rain) so I can mimic the race wet shock settings in Touring mode.
rikhek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:42 AM   #45
stephen1254
CF Senior Member

In the non PTM settings, I have my steering set to Track, regardless of suspension mode. When I go into the PTM settings, the steering is linked to the setting, with PTM - Wet setting the steering to comfort. Has anyone found a way to decouple the steering mode from the individual PTM setting?
stephen1254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #46
yeller z06
CF Senior Member

I am reminded of the test that Top Gear did with Stig driving something (I can't remember which model) on their track - once in normal mode and again in "track mode" with the stiffer suspension settings. The difference was nominal. Minimal. Small.

Granted, on a track like Sebring I can see where a properly tuned suspension would make a difference, but all the tracks I ever drove on (except Summit Point) were pretty darn smooth, and so I'm not really buying it.

The mind has a huge effect on the butt dyno. "I made a change, so it must be better!"
yeller z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:52 AM   #47
pdiddy972
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeller z06 View Post
I am reminded of the test that Top Gear did with Stig driving something (I can't remember which model) on their track - once in normal mode and again in "track mode" with the stiffer suspension settings. The difference was nominal. Minimal. Small.

Granted, on a track like Sebring I can see where a properly tuned suspension would make a difference, but all the tracks I ever drove on (except Summit Point) were pretty darn smooth, and so I'm not really buying it.

The mind has a huge effect on the butt dyno. "I made a change, so it must be better!"
Easy to test that theory - don't let the driver know which mode they're driving in and measure their times in each mode multiple times (but in random order) and average the results from each mode.
pdiddy972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:16 AM   #48
rikhek
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeller z06 View Post

The performance gains have been quantitatively documented by a good number of people utilizing the DSC controller. Just above in Post #37 Forum member Poor-Sha posted VIR video and the following:

Yup, VIR Full. My PB there is a 1:59.2 and one of those days it was 95F out. Prior to the DSC Sport suspension my bests were in the 2:01 range. Fantastic product.

Mike Levitas and a number of others have seen over a 2 second improvement at Summit point.

The controller is not a "seat of the butt" mod, it transforms the car. The improvements are HUGH. Game changing. IAs stated above I saw over a 2 second improvement on the 997.2 911T race car I run. I saw just over 2 seconds off the truck at Sebring. After some tweaks over 3 seconds.

If you research by searching on "DSC" someone posted video of a car entering a corner under threshold braking with the front of the car diving with the OEM controller. Same car, same corner with the controller and you can see the car staying setttled and flat.

Likewise video has been posted navigating a corner on track with and without the controller. The controller adjusts each shock individually in real time to keep the car flat and maximize contact patch instead of lifting the inside wheels.

Same with applying power on throttle application tracking out of a corner. Shocks adjust to keep the weight transfer to a minimum and get power down without blowing out the rears.

Last edited by rikhek; 01-06-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #49
Poor-sha
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25
Poor-sha drives across the grass and re-enters the track when no one is looking.
Now that's funny there in all seriousness, the lightning lap runs in what's called the "grand west" configuration which is quite a bit longer. Pretty much everyone else runs the "full" configuration.
Poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor-sha For This Useful Post:
pdiddy972 (01-06-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 PM   #50
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1254
In the non PTM settings, I have my steering set to Track, regardless of suspension mode. When I go into the PTM settings, the steering is linked to the setting, with PTM - Wet setting the steering to comfort. Has anyone found a way to decouple the steering mode from the individual PTM setting?
Just noticed this today too. The PTM mode also overrides my Dachcontrol exhaust setting. So in PTM Wet, the exhaust is in Sport and the steering is in Tour...no matter what.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:00 PM   #51
stephen1254
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Just noticed this today too. The PTM mode also overrides my Dachcontrol exhaust setting. So in PTM Wet, the exhaust is in Sport and the steering is in Tour...no matter what.
If the effect is the same with the DSC controller, it makes it a no-go for me. The OP was talking about the improved ride in the "RACE - PTM WET" mode, but if that mode puts the steering in "Tour," or what GM calls "Comfort," it won't work for me. That steering mode isn't comfort - it's 60's Caddy...
Old 01-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #52
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Quote:
If the effect is the same with the DSC controller, it makes it a no-go for me. The OP was talking about the improved ride in the "RACE - PTM WET" mode, but if that mode puts the steering in "Tour," or what GM calls "Comfort," it won't work for me. That steering mode isn't comfort - it's 60's Caddy...
You could copy those PTM Wet shock settings into another mode like the standard Tour mode.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #53
cvp33
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha View Post
Yes, Hoosiers the first time and Pirellis the second. I did have one lap in November that was on its way to sub 2 min on fresh MPSC2 but then I got balked heading down towards 11.
I've run Continentals and Pirells on my CTS-V. The V felt better on the Contis but I suspect that was the fact that the V was obese.

Last edited by cvp33; 01-06-2017 at 03:49 PM.
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #54
rikhek
CF Senior Member

There's a parallel thread discussing the DSC controller in the C7 Z06 forum. Interested folks might want to check it out:

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ervations.html

Additionally, Mike Levitas/DSC Sport has provided some comments in that thread. One of note includes:

Thank you so much for purchasing our DSC controller for the C7. I have worked so hard to deliver my best effort I have been working on development now for almost 8 years. With the C7 were able to game on with our knowledge from the other platforms. The C7 has so many incredible features and I am so proud of an industry first velocity control and the PTM mode and our exclusive holeless Gtable are responsible for the ride quality and unmatched performance. There are no compromises.

I am working on a user manual we are 90% complete and will be releasing the manual with a new user interface software suite that will have all the proper descriptors. If you need any help you can always get me at the race shop or email me your pdts file. Im happy to make any changes for you and email it back. ill also be releasing the new launch and traction adder feature its done. DSC ecu can either be sent in or better yet we have written our own bootloader and have a client installer and will be hosting the new firmware on our site. as well as all the tuning files. Thanks again to all that have been involved in DSC and a special thanks to the incredible dealer network and their added value.

All C7 controllers shipped have a wifi feature that we will have an update for with security features.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00 PM   #55
Poor-sha
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
You could copy those PTM Wet shock settings into another mode like the standard Tour mode.
Yes and no. You can absolutely get just as soft a ride in Tour as you can in PTM-Wet but you have to go about it differently. If you look at the software tutorial I wrote the PTM tab is only available in the track mode. All that tab does in the default config is reduce the shock curve based on all other inputs by 10%.

Now you could get the same effect by either going through the G table and reducing the values in each box by 10%, or you could adjust the voltage down in the shock curve. Another and easier way might be to just up the sensitivity so that you need to hit a higher G threshold before the shocks stiffen up. That advantage to this last way is that it'll still stiffen up all the way if you put some Gs in to it.

When I get my car back on the road I'll play with this a bit and see what I can do to post up a super comfy ride config since I'm pretty ride sensitive.
Poor-sha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poor-sha For This Useful Post:
Foosh (01-07-2017)
Old 01-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #56
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Yes and no. You can absolutely get just as soft a ride in Tour as you can in PTM-Wet but you have to go about it differently. If you look at the software tutorial I wrote the PTM tab is only available in the track mode. All that tab does in the default config is reduce the shock curve based on all other inputs by 10%.

Now you could get the same effect by either going through the G table and reducing the values in each box by 10%, or you could adjust the voltage down in the shock curve. Another and easier way might be to just up the sensitivity so that you need to hit a higher G threshold before the shocks stiffen up. That advantage to this last way is that it'll still stiffen up all the way if you put some Gs in to it.

When I get my car back on the road I'll play with this a bit and see what I can do to post up a super comfy ride config since I'm pretty ride sensitive.
Cool. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this. I'm only gunshy because of the BS rave reviews on the Vitesse Throttle Controller which I found to be absolutely pointless once I got one. At $1290, I don't want a similar end result for this suspension module.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:50 PM   #57
fleming23
CF Senior Member

I know these photos are not a direct A to B as they are completely different angles. They are, however, the same corner at the same track. The first from the rear 3/4 is pre-DSC controller through turn 1 at Road Atlanta. The second photo, shot from the front 3/4 angle, is post DSC controller through the same corner carrying more speed. I did in fact pick up over 2 seconds at the track but attribute that to a few factors; more seat time in this car, a bit better brake pad inspiring confidence, and the DSC controller allowing me to push the car harder on track.

This is a Z07 suspension car and you can see how loaded and low the driver's side sits

This is post install and in roughly the same area of the track. At the point this photo was taken (I have a burst of 4 or 5 prior to this one) the suspension was at full lateral load and generally I carried more speed through T1 every lap. Pretty impressive difference, IMO.

All that said, on the street I have not noticed a huge difference in ride quality. I never had any issue with how the car rode pre-DSC (in tour mode at least). I would not say the difference is day and night on the street, but I suppose my memory could also be fuzzy. That is to say, it didn't go from race car to Cadillac (or similarly changing from track to tour), I just don't think the difference was that extreme. I also believe this controller will make the greatest impact on non-Z07 cars on track by helping reduce the dive and extreme compression seen by many.

And since I am posting about it.....here is video from the track event shown above, running the DSC controller for the first time. Temps were pretty cold Thanksgiving weekend and this was the first session out of the morning (reason why i was in Sport 1 and not Race). I only got 1 session in before clipping turn 10a a bit too much, resulting in a heavily bent wheel. I had the AIM Solo predicting a 1:31 lap when I curbed the wheel, unfortunately...

Last edited by fleming23; 01-07-2017 at 12:02 AM.
fleming23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #58
stephen1254
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Cool. I'm close to pulling the trigger on this. I'm only gunshy because of the BS rave reviews on the Vitesse Throttle Controller which I found to be absolutely pointless once I got one. At $1290, I don't want a similar end result for this suspension module.
That's an interesting comment on the Vitesse. For me it completely transformed the car - the car now responds to subtle changes in pressure on the throttle rather then requiring massive inputs. Did it not do the same for you?

I am waiting on the DSC as well, until I see more reviews of its performance on the street. I suspect the effects on the street might be pretty subtle, although I would be happy to be proven wrong.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #59
cheapthrills
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1254 View Post
That's an interesting comment on the Vitesse. For me it completely transformed the car - the car now responds to subtle changes in pressure on the throttle rather then requiring massive inputs. Did it not do the same for you?

I am waiting on the DSC as well, until I see more reviews of its performance on the street. I suspect the effects on the street might be pretty subtle, although I would be happy to be proven wrong.
Ditto on the Vitesse, love the difference.

The more I read about this controller the better it sounds.
cheapthrills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:50 PM   #60
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Quote:

The Vitesse I found to be mostly unusable. Any setting above SP2 gave nasty tip-in response and would shock the driveline during small throttle input cruising. It was utterly annoying. I wished I could use a setting like SP4 or 5 and make the tip-in response more gradual but it just doesn't allow it. As for track use, the Vitesse is 180 degrees from what I wanted. Delicate throttle steering inputs are actually better executed when the pedal requires more movement which in turns gives greater degree of control.

Obviously just my opinion. I wanted to like the Vitesse but just didn't in reality.
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • DSC Sport Magnetic Shock controller observations
  •