Sponsored by:

Not another exhaust question!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 03:16 AM
4hsmen
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not another exhaust question!

Yes I'm afraid it is. But I could really use some advice before I make the purchase.
Important to know is I have the 2016 LT1 base, so not the NPP exhaust. I really want to upgrade the sound of the car.
Keeping cost down I considered the Borla X pipe. Not too costly, install is easy and warranty should be fine. However I've been told not much of a difference over stock.
The other is the Corsa extreme. That is much more costly and the install is going to.be a lot as well. It appears to have lots of popping on deceleration and I'm not a fan. No drone is important as well.
Most of the YouTube videos compare systems based on NPP exhaust.
Just don't know what's the best noticeable sound improvement at an affordable price.
Any thoughts.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:36 AM
HDBADDOG55
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 4hsmen
Yes I'm afraid it is. But I could really use some advice before I make the purchase.
Important to know is I have the 2016 LT1 base, so not the NPP exhaust. I really want to upgrade the sound of the car.
Keeping cost down I considered the Borla X pipe. Not too costly, install is easy and warranty should be fine. However I've been told not much of a difference over stock.
The other is the Corsa extreme. That is much more costly and the install is going to.be a lot as well. It appears to have lots of popping on deceleration and I'm not a fan. No drone is important as well.
Just don't know what's the best noticeable sound improvement at an affordable price.
Any thoughts.
Thanks guys.
I'd go with FloMaster.Aggressive sound at an affordable price. Here is a link for you.ww.westcoastcorvette.com/p-12280-corvette-flowmaster-american-thunder-axle-back-performance-exhaust-system-quad-300-round-tips-c7-stingray-z51.aspx
Old 01-13-2017, 06:58 AM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Most people that have done it, seem to be happy with just the Borla x pipe. They say the sound is significantly louder.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:12 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Nothing beats a Corsa. No droan, quality system and any popping in any system is controllable with the throttle and or clutch. Extreme is extreme and this is one for sale in the parts section.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:48 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

The stock exhaust sounds just like the NPP when in the quite/closed position. Remember there is no financial return on exhaust system upgrades. When you trade the money spent is gone. For me the stock system is good enough.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:15 AM
fun ticket
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
The stock exhaust sounds just like the NPP when in the quite/closed position. Remember there is no financial return on exhaust system upgrades. When you trade the money spent is gone. For me the stock system is good enough.
I doubt there is little, to any, financial return on a majority of the upgrades done here. I expect zero financial return on any I do. I do them because it is what I want to do to the car.

I would equate C7 upgrades to adding a pool to a house. Yeah, you might elevate the value of the home a little but the pool cost is a guaranteed financial loss. You do it because you want a pool.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 10:11 AM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Originally Posted by 4hsmen
Any thoughts.
Thanks guys.
I too, had a Non NPP exhaust on my '16 Stingray when I purchased it new in October. The car was just way too quiet and did not like the look of the small exhaust tips. I immediately replaced the stock mufflers with a Borla ATAk axleback. I kept the stock X pipe with cats. The sound is noticeably different. It has a very aggressive sound when accelerating yet no drone and quiet while cruising. I am very happy with it! Cost was $1250 for the axleback and $130 for the install.
Attached Images   
Old 01-13-2017, 11:35 AM
4hsmen
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks I agree about the stock sound. Without NPP it just does not do the beast justice.
So I'm now trying to decide on the crosa extreme vs the Borla Atak axleback. I'm leading towards the Corsa if I can find it closer to the Borla price. My bigger concern is the install. I dont have a relationship with any corvette shop yet in my area. I think the labor cost will be pretty high.
thanks for everyones feedback.

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
I too, had a Non NPP exhaust on my '16 Stingray when I purchased it new in October. The car was just way too quiet and did not like the look of the small exhaust tips. I immediately replaced the stock mufflers with a Borla ATAk axleback. I kept the stock X pipe with cats. The sound is noticeably different. It has a very aggressive sound when accelerating yet no drone and quiet while cruising. I am very happy with it! Cost was $1250 for the axleback and $130 for the install.
Old 01-13-2017, 11:45 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Question. I had someone ask me yesterday about a C7 with just a stock exhaust system. Can a Borla X-pipe be installed on a stock exhaust system? I added one to my NPP performance exhaust, but don't know if it works with the stock exhaust system.

Last edited by joemessman; 01-13-2017 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by joemessman
Question. I had someone ask me yesterday about a C7 with just a stock exhaust system. Can a Borla X-pipe be installed on a stock exhaust system? I added one to my NPP performance exhaust, but don't know if it works with the stock exhaust system.
Yes

Borla
https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...a-60547-x-pipe

Corsa
https://www.corvettepartsandaccessor...-helixx-x-pipe

Regards
Chip

The following users liked this post:
joemessman (01-13-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Not another exhaust question!

Quick Reply: Not another exhaust question!