Sponsored by:

Must-have's for the track

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 12:04 PM
porshuh
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Must-have's for the track

So I've been shopping for a C7 for a while now, and just want to make sure I'm looking for the right options. This will be a street + track car (hpde)...I'm a big fan of rowing through the gears, so that's set. I am between Z51, grand sport, and Z06. Which trim of each will give me what I need. Is the Z07 package (on the grand sport and Z06) a must? I would assume the magnetic ride control is a must, but other options I can't figure out how much they are really needed for track work.

Thanks in advance for the insight!
Old 01-18-2017, 12:20 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 417 Posts

I would go with the GS w/Z07.

Z07 provides functional aero, carbon ceramic brakes, Cup2's and mag ride. Mag ride is important as you said, but the tires are the most important (not that you cant add those yourself).

If money isn't an issue, go GS with Z07 package and don't look back. My only issue with the Z07 is I dont like carbon ceramic brakes for continuous track duty as they are way too expensive. I would prefer the iron rotors instead.

I don't think you can add mag ride as a standalone option. If so, then do that and add the aero and tires yourself aftermarket.

EDIT: If you want to go the cheapest route (on opposite end of the above option), then go with the Z51 with mag ride and add 4 stickies yourself, the Z06 Stage 3 spoiler from APR, the Stage 2 or 3 splitter from C7 carbon or APR, and the rockers from anybody, yourself. You wont get quite the performance of the GS due the wider tires, but you'll be damn close.

Last edited by \Boost Monkey/; 01-18-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:13 PM
moose.b3
Drifting

Received 169 Likes on 128 Posts

2018 ZR1.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:24 PM
cvp33
Melting Slicks

Received 1,050 Likes on 660 Posts

Must haves:

Iron brakes because you'll swap out for a big brake kit down the road anyway
M7

***Go drive each and then you'll know which version you like better. The 460hp version felt sluggish to me coming out of a CTS-V that had a ton of torque down low. That killed the GS and Z51 variants for me. The GS and ZO6 are within seconds on a track but on the street it's night/day difference.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:47 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

2LT, Comp seats with venting, maybe PDR.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:20 AM
torchredz51
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I've thought about this, as I have a 14 Z51 and thought about "upgrading." When I first bought the car, I thought it would never see the track, but after my first HPDE I was hooked. Now the car sees about 1/3 street miles and 2/3 track miles.

With that in mind, I thought about upgrading to the GS w/ Z07. But I didn't think the financial package with the trade in worked out (plus I love my Z51).

If I were to buy today from scratch, I think I would get a Z51 for the dry sump (watch the video on the front page). The dry sump is the only must have (not even mag ride).

Everything else can be improved upon cheaper aftermarket. I would get a Z51 then switch out the brakes (and more importantly brake fluid), get a set of slicks for the track, change the suspension to coilovers (that's why I wouldn't get the mag ride), and modify the engine/exhaust, and aero bits as you see fit. Those changes would give you as good/better track weapon that a stock ride at a cheaper price. My plan would lose the benefit of the wider body of the GS/Z06 though. I don't think the wider body is worth the extra $, that if you were to put into brake and tire upgrades would allow you to go a lot faster.

If money were no object Z07 with cooling upgrades. Scratch that, if money were no object a Yenko or at least a calloway z06.

But that's what I would do for my wants/needs. Your post said you just wanted to do street and HPDE, which I would read mostly street and a couple of track events here and there. You'll soon find out that things that make your car go faster on the track are not good for the street and vice versa. So you'll have to make your own decisions as to what is best for you.

General tips:

In terms of speed: Z06>GS>>Z51>stingray
In terms of overheating on the track: Z06>GS/Z51 and automatic>manual
Mag ride: I have it, and I love it, but it is not absolute must. I like being able to switch between harsh ride and less harsh ride. But my buddy and I were both on the track. I had mag ride and he didn't, and we didn't notice any difference in times (we even switched cars to eliminate the driver component). With more skilled drivers there probably is a difference, but for HPDE that you have planned, there wasn't that much of a difference.
In terms of resale: I'd go with the mantra that the more goodies you add on the less return you get when you sell it. Right now GS is brand new and there are a ton of older Z51's/stingrays out there, but eventually the market will equilibrate.

With all that said, at the end of the day it's whatever you want and what will make you happy. Whatever you choose, it's going to be awesome and a lot of fun, so in all honesty, you can't go wrong. An HPDE isn't about racing, it's about having fun and becoming a better driver, so whatever corvette you choose will achieve that goal, even if you go the cheapest route possible and buy a used stingray. There will always be a faster driver and a faster car out there.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

In my opinion the essential C7 list includes the following:

HUD: (makes it much easier to drive because you don't need to look down to see the tach, shift lights (great on the HUD) or speed. Anytime you can be focused on where the car is going Vs looking down at the dash is a major plus for high speed driving.

Dry Sump: many discussions on the advantages

Mag Ride: not so much for the mag ride but for what comes with it. Performance Traction Management it really helps you get around the track better.

Iron Brakes: the ceramics are great brakes but for the people not supported by a sponsor who pays the bills the consumable costs are far too great. Go with the best iron brakes and then upgrade from there to aftermarket stuff if you need to.

Comp Seats: For people 70 inches tall or shorter the comp seats and an aftermarket harness bar offer a reasonable and effective method to run a race harness and HANS device. If you don't want to go with the race harness the stock 3 point belt system when used in CINCH Mode will work quite effectively keeping you in the seat while the seat keeps your upper body from moving from side to side.

Z51/GS/Z06 Trans/Diff Cooling

From an overheating standpoint the manual Z06 doesn't have any problems especially the 17s which come standard with the secondary radiator in the front. 15s and 16s can benefit from adding the GMPP Secondary Radiator which is the same thing.

A stage 3 Z06 will run about the same top speeds as a C6Z (145 HP less) because it weighs 300+ lbs more and has all of that aero drag. My C6Z came in just under 3200 lbs with a half tank of gas. My C7 Z06/Z07 came in at 3560 lbs with 7/8 tank of gas. A Z51 car will still weigh a couple hundred more pounds than the C6 Z06 and will have less HP although the HP/Torque curve for the LT1 is the same as the LS7 up to 4K rpm. That is where the C7Z has a big advantage since it has over 100 ft lbs more torque than the LT1 or LS7 right off idle and it gets through corners better than my C6Z did.

Bill
The following 2 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
cvp33 (01-19-2017), L1FRDOG (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 05:02 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
In my opinion the essential C7 list includes the following:

HUD: (makes it much easier to drive because you don't need to look down to see the tach, shift lights (great on the HUD) or speed. Anytime you can be focused on where the car is going Vs looking down at the dash is a major plus for high speed driving.

Dry Sump: many discussions on the advantages

Mag Ride: not so much for the mag ride but for what comes with it. Performance Traction Management it really helps you get around the track better.

Iron Brakes: the ceramics are great brakes but for the people not supported by a sponsor who pays the bills the consumable costs are far too great. Go with the best iron brakes and then upgrade from there to aftermarket stuff if you need to.

Comp Seats: For people 70 inches tall or shorter the comp seats and an aftermarket harness bar offer a reasonable and effective method to run a race harness and HANS device. If you don't want to go with the race harness the stock 3 point belt system when used in CINCH Mode will work quite effectively keeping you in the seat while the seat keeps your upper body from moving from side to side.

Z51/GS/Z06 Trans/Diff Cooling

From an overheating standpoint the manual Z06 doesn't have any problems especially the 17s which come standard with the secondary radiator in the front. 15s and 16s can benefit from adding the GMPP Secondary Radiator which is the same thing.

A stage 3 Z06 will run about the same top speeds as a C6Z (145 HP less) because it weighs 300+ lbs more and has all of that aero drag. My C6Z came in just under 3200 lbs with a half tank of gas. My C7 Z06/Z07 came in at 3560 lbs with 7/8 tank of gas. A Z51 car will still weigh a couple hundred more pounds than the C6 Z06 and will have less HP although the HP/Torque curve for the LT1 is the same as the LS7 up to 4K rpm. That is where the C7Z has a big advantage since it has over 100 ft lbs more torque than the LT1 or LS7 right off idle and it gets through corners better than my C6Z did.

Bill

I had similar thoughts to what Bill said. I am looking for similar plan as OP. Street car with occasional track day. I absolutely knew it was going to be a Grand Sport, but wrestled with the Z07 vs Non...
I was torn between the track all-star Z07 and the added cost/reduced life of the CUP2's and Ceramic brakes on a street car.

Everything else is right there on the GS, 2LT M7, HUD, DRY SUMP, MAGride, Iron Brakes, nothing to Add (unless you wanted the Comp Seats which I did not). In the end, I chose Non-Z07 GS with PDR. When I am ready to track I don't want to use my normal tires I will pickup a set of track wheels and Hoosiers. I already upgraded my aero package... the only thing I am missing out on is the ceramic brakes and for the number of track days I am going to do, it's just not worth it.

and though a Z06 has much more power.. I am not racing to be 1st place. I race to beat myself. So the HP is irrelevant, so long as I am improving with the same setup each time. And frankly, the GS is awesome!

L1FRDOG

Last edited by L1FRDOG; 01-19-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:38 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by \Boost Monkey/
Z07 provides functional aero, carbon ceramic brakes, Cup2's and mag ride.
Mag ride is standard on all GSes.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

All depends how aggressive you want to be. I've had a 14 Z51 stock suspension and have a 16Z. Z does not overheat even with temps in the 90s.

Both cars are faster then 95% of what you see in a normal HPDE.

BUT I don't push my cars. I have no interest in investing the $s to make my car track safe or should I say safe for me. You run 150 160 MPH in one of these cars and have a problem with only stock safety equipment your just yourself. A helmet and nothing more is asking for trouble.

Z will run 160 down the stretch at mid ohio but I dont push it. These cars have so much ability, more then the average driver that any model will work for me. I'd go with the dry sump engine but beyond that for me there is plenty of safe fun in a modest (is there such a thing) Corvette. You want to shave seconds best you take driving lessons. Like golf its not the equipment that is important but the consistent swing.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 01-19-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
All depends how aggressive you want to be. I've had a 14 Z51 stock suspension and have a 16Z. Z does not overheat even with temps in the 90s.

Both cars are faster then 95% of what you see in a normal HPDE.

BUT I don't push my cars. I have no interest in investing the $s to make my car track safe or should I say safe for me. You run 150 160 MPH in one of these cars and have a problem with only stock safety equipment your just yourself. A helmet and nothing more is asking for trouble.

Z will run 160 down the stretch at mid ohio but I dont push it. These cars have so much ability, more then the average driver that any model will work for me. I'd go with the dry sump engine but beyond that for me there is plenty of safe fun in a modest (is there such a thing) Corvette. You want to shave seconds best you take driving lessons. Like golf its not the equipment that is important but the consistent swing.

Reliability, durability and safety. I'll never set the track record. Even if I had the skills to do it, it's too hard on the equipment.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:03 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Mag ride is standard on all GSes.
I just noticed that today looking at Kerbeck site, why couldn't they do that with Z51...
Old 01-19-2017, 10:20 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

NC Events Coordinator

I just noticed that today looking at Kerbeck site, why couldn't they do that with Z51...
That's why I think the non-Z07 GS is such a bargain. For about a $5g premium over the Z51, you get mag ride ($1800 option), bigger brakes, wider wheels & tires, and the wide body and aero bits. With the discounts outfits like Kerbeck and McMulkin are offering, it's an awesome deal.
The following users liked this post:
L1FRDOG (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 05:34 PM
L1FRDOG
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 186 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
That's why I think the non-Z07 GS is such a bargain. For about a $5g premium over the Z51, you get mag ride ($1800 option), bigger brakes, wider wheels & tires, and the wide body and aero bits. With the discounts outfits like Kerbeck and McMulkin are offering, it's an awesome deal.

EXACTLY... hence why I bought one! and it has been in the garage almost 2 weeks
Old 01-21-2017, 10:37 AM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Grand Sport, 1LT, M7, Comp Sport Seats, PDR, and the Z07 package if you have money to burn....
Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM
porshuh
Instructor

This is all wonderful information. THANK YOU to all for your taking time to reply.

Edit - do all GSes have ceramic brakes?

And if I do end up getting a GS/Z06/Z07 with ceramic brakes, can I swap the rotors out for the same size iron rotors, and buy different pads?

Last edited by porshuh; 01-24-2017 at 05:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:58 PM
\Boost Monkey/
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by porshuh
This is all wonderful information. THANK YOU to all for your taking time to reply.

Edit - do all GSes have ceramic brakes?

And if I do end up getting a GS/Z06/Z07 with ceramic brakes, can I swap the rotors out for the same size iron rotors, and buy different pads?
No, CC brakes come with the Z07 package, and i think you can add them individually in build also (someone correct me if wrong).

Base GS comes with the larger flavor iron rotors (larger than Z51) but smaller than CC rotors. Same as the Z06.

Yes, I do believe you can swap the CC rotors and pads out for iron rotors and new pads of same size.

Get notified of new replies

To Must-have's for the track

Old 01-24-2017, 06:10 PM
porshuh
Instructor

Ah okay...so ceramics are only with the Z07 package (both GS and Z06), and an option on the GS/Z06 otherwise. I like the sound of that. While money is not limitless, I am prepared to spend some. My viewpoint is always - something is worth what I value it at. So the price of a z51 vs GS vs z06 is kind of moot to me, because each of those cars are worth their price to me.

I LOVE the look of the slightly wider body, so I think I'm between a non-z07 GS or Z06.

You all are correct - I really should sit in these different vehicles to see what I think. I'm 6'5" -- fit in my C6 Z51 just fine -- but might enjoy one style seat more than the other. I am definitely in favor of the vented seats at this point!
Old 01-24-2017, 06:16 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

The whole thing with Mag Ride is strange. For example, if you want Mag Ride on a Stingray without Z51 you must also get the larger tires and spoiler. Now maybe, just maybe, you could make the case for large tires if the different Mag Ride shocks required them, but a spoiler? Really? Makes no sense.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:09 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Because this car will be the same price as a GS or Z51 right? I'm sure people are going to be sticker shocked if this car ever appears!

Originally Posted by moose.b3
2018 ZR1.

Quick Reply: Must-have's for the track