Transporting my car from Illinois to Florida

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:44 PM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transporting my car from Illinois to Florida

Here is my car:

I bought a new 16 Z06/Z07 M7 from a dealer in Wheeling, IL a couple months ago. They have been gracious to hold the vehicle for me as I have been deployed with the Army. Well, as it is getting close to me coming home, I am in need of transporting the vehicle to South Florida.

I have read read countless posts online about not trusting brokers etc etc.

so I am looking for your guys opinions.

1: open or closed transporter (does it matter which?)
2: recommendations on companies to transport the vehicle.

i also have the dealer getting me quotes, but I always like to do my research before settling on something. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by Mellow_Yellow_C7Z; 01-18-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:47 PM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Intercity
Old 01-18-2017, 03:51 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

^^^ That is one of the best. I would recommend it transported in an enclosed Van.

Last edited by joemessman; 01-18-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:56 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd go to Illinois and drive it home. The cost would probably be less, and the time with your butt in the seat - priceless!
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by VETJAZZ
I'd go to Illinois and drive it home. The cost would probably be less, and the time with your butt in the seat - priceless!
In any other circumstance I would, however I'm planning it to where I have the car shipped to the speed shop, getting a procharger swap, cam package, full bolt ons, and meth kit installed. So the way I have it planned is the car will be finished just as I get my butt back in the states. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Old 01-18-2017, 04:37 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I see a lot of forum deliveries made by Plycon. Covered is more expensive but probably the way I'd go especially in the middle of winter.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:57 PM
breakskeet
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
In any other circumstance I would, however I'm planning it to where I have the car shipped to the speed shop, getting a procharger swap, cam package, full bolt ons, and meth kit installed. So the way I have it planned is the car will be finished just as I get my butt back in the states. 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
I recommend Plycon/Plycar.

As a side note, you might consider putting a few miles, say 500, on the engine and drive train before you mod and void the powertrain warranty just to be on the safe side. The car has been sitting a while and you never know what may be lurking. Just a thought.

Thank you for your service and enjoy the car! She is a beauty!

Last edited by breakskeet; 01-18-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:44 PM
most-wanted
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Put a bid on Uship. You can state no brokers. Intercity is overpriced hype, sorry. I have transported a lot through uship with nothing but positive results. I just bought a vette and had intercity give me a quote of $1450. Bids started around there but settled at $1089. All reputable transporters. Fuel equates to about $400 of that quote. Good luck and don't worry about brokers. I hear that nonsense all the time. And as I mentioned just post no brokers.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:20 PM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by most-wanted
Put a bid on Uship. You can state no brokers. Intercity is overpriced hype, sorry. I have transported a lot through uship with nothing but positive results. I just bought a vette and had intercity give me a quote of $1450. Bids started around there but settled at $1089. All reputable transporters. Fuel equates to about $400 of that quote. Good luck and don't worry about brokers. I hear that nonsense all the time. And as I mentioned just post no brokers.
thats pretty much the same quote intercity gave me as well. I had no idea you can put a bud out there. Thanks for the idea. I'm definitely going to look into that.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:40 PM
CasanovaEight
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I used the shipping company that macmulkin suggested (I believe it was intercity). It was about $1500 enclosed from New Hamshire to Miami Florida. Pretty pricey in my opinion but it was enclosed during a snow storm (at the time) and it was insured until it gets to me.

I would try another company if I had to do it again just to save some $$$ but I am cheap soooo.... you pay for what you get. Depends on what you are looking to do. Next time I will use a budget friendly shipper.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 PM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by CasanovaEight
I used the shipping company that macmulkin suggested (I believe it was intercity). It was about $1500 enclosed from New Hamshire to Miami Florida. Pretty pricey in my opinion but it was enclosed during a snow storm (at the time) and it was insured until it gets to me.

I would try another company if I had to do it again just to save some $$$ but I am cheap soooo.... you pay for what you get. Depends on what you are looking to do. Next time I will use a budget friendly shipper.
I too live in miami florida. Small world. And by no means do I have extra large pockets so I'd love to save money where I can.

I placed a bid bid on Uship let's see how it goes. Hope to see you see you around sometime.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:47 PM
most-wanted
Advanced

thats pretty much the same quote intercity gave me as well. I had no idea you can put a bud out there. Thanks for the idea. I'm definitely going to look into that.
No problem at all. Just go to uship.com. It's super easy and you'll get bids coming in. Give yourself some space as the bids will start to compete and it will come down to around $1000 after a few days. All these transporters on uship are reputable and fully insured. You can also talk with most of the drivers etc. This whole broker thing gets me laughing. If it's enclosed, reputable, insured, etc who cares what the name on the truck is. I fly fed ex freight overseas in an unmarked plane not owned or operated by fed ex. Catch my point. Good luck to you.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 PM
most-wanted
Advanced

Also from South Florida btw. Just moved to Atlanta. I have a nice trailer set up and I'd help ya out but fuel would kill me on the up, down, and then back. If I had trip planned I would try it but just wouldn't make much sense for either of us. Keep us posted.
The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (01-21-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:22 AM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Also from South Florida btw. Just moved to Atlanta. I have a nice trailer set up and I'd help ya out but fuel would kill me on the up, down, and then back. If I had trip planned I would try it but just wouldn't make much sense for either of us. Keep us posted.
South Florida for the win (where about in South Florida if you don't mind me asking). Super sweet rig set-up man. Very nicely done. And I appreciate the fact that you even entertained such a thought still some good people out there in this crazy world.

I totally understand and agree with the flying with no name on the plane. As long as the cargo gets there unharmed; who cares who shipped it, as long as they are reputable and insured.

I woke up this morning (as I am 8 hours ahead of east coast time) and created a uship account with my timeline, so we shall see what happens.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 AM
most-wanted
Advanced

Born in Ft Lauderdale. Grew up in Coral Springs. Lived in Port St Lucie most of my adult life until I started flying out of Miami International then started living in Hallandale, Hollywood, then Miami area. And yeah there are still some good people out there. Getting harder to find but out there. I really did think about helping you out and looked at locations and mileage but it just wouldn't make sense. But I'm always trying to help out if I can. I made two trips where one way I'd be empty and offered up on the forums to try and help out. Thanks on the set up. I built it to carry my Nascar truck and off road toys. Took me awhile to figure out what worked best from f150-f350 dually and toy haulers to straight 28' cargo but I'm good to go now with no limitations. I just sent an off road car out to California and it went well too. The buyer did everything. The commercial carriers are so regulated now days they aren't messing around. My close friend is a driver for cargo and they are so on point it's crazy. They can't have radar detectors, they can't tint windows too dark and the list goes on. The cost of insurance is crazy and no way they are gonna be wreckless. Just no reason for it. Stuff happens but no one is intentionally going to be stupid. So for me, I try to get the most reasonable rate that offers what the standard is. Do you do track days or any events? Sebring. Half mile? Saw your doing a build. Who is doing the work? Sorry for the rant. I can't talk shop all day lol.

South Florida for the win (where about in South Florida if you don't mind me asking). Super sweet rig set-up man. Very nicely done. And I appreciate the fact that you even entertained such a thought still some good people out there in this crazy world.

I totally understand and agree with the flying with no name on the plane. As long as the cargo gets there unharmed; who cares who shipped it, as long as they are reputable and insured.

I woke up this morning (as I am 8 hours ahead of east coast time) and created a uship account with my timeline, so we shall see what happens.

Last edited by most-wanted; 01-19-2017 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:44 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

CLOSED trailer...not even a question

we used Exotic Car Transport out of Winter Haven FL ...it was about $1 a mile from IL to Tampa area....not all transporters go everywhere so you gotta ask...

my advice....make sure you take GOOD pictures of the car all over and underneath BEFORE its loaded and when it arrives you need the person on that end to do the same
The following users liked this post:
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 AM
nmvettec7
Safety Car

Received 850 Likes on 493 Posts

I have had many cars transported over the last 5 years.

Here's my take.

If you use a truck transport broker, they simply take your request, request zip code where the car is located, and the zip code where it is going. Auto transport brokers do not own any trucks, they simply broker the deal and find a trucker to transport the vehicle.

Transport brokers take your request and put the request out to bid via the Central Dispatch System (CDS). Truckers who make that route will bid on the transport and provide a general idea of when they can pick up the vehicle and deliver the vehicle. The transport broker collects a fee ($150 to $250) for taking your request and finding a trucker to transport the car. The transport broker takes a credit card payment for the upfront fee, and cash is paid to the driver of the transport when the car is delivered.

Yes, there can be bad stories when transport doesn't go the way they are expected, which is usually a late pick-up or late delivery other than promised. There are tons of transport brokers willing to find a transport.

The person requesting a bid over the internet will get inundated with bids and calls from brokers.

I have always used open carrier transport with no problems transporting a classic car 1966 Mustang, new Porsche 981 , new Corvette C7, new Genesis G80, 2017 Kia Sportage, without any problems.

The transport broker is one avenue to go with. Another is researching transport companies that make the route from Chicago area to Miami, Florida. This is a popular route. Call the transport company direct and secure the quote and negotiate the deal. This is the lowest and cheapest way to go.

My my opinion, enclosed carriers are over hyped and the cost is very expensive. In today's transport market you should be able to open transport from .60 to .80 per mile. Closed transport will cost $1.20 to $1.75 per mile for this luxury.

Transport companies are licensed, bonded and carry damage insurance. Each transport driver fills out a Bill of Lading (BOL), inspecting the vehicle before loading, and carefully marking the Bill of Lading with any damage to the car before loading the vehicle on the truck before transporting. Upon delivery, the car owner will get the Bill of Lading, inspect the car for damage, agree to the BOL and sign off on the document and receive the car.

The process is very simple.

Don't over think the process. Yes, it is a new Corvette, your new baby, but don't make this transport a brain braking deal. There are millions of cars transported across the USA annually. These are professional drivers who load and unload vehicles daily and could not care that they are transporting your Corvette. It is just another vehicle to load and deliver, and they move on to the next customer or dealer for pick-up and delivery.

Intercity, Reliable, Plycon, Horseless Carriage are some of the big name enclosed transport companies. If you have deep pockets to spend on auto transport, then this may be the way to go. They are expensive.

If your open minded, and have some trust, an open transport carrier will get the job done and save you money $$$.

Here's a copy of my BOL on my 2015 Corvette C7 transported from Independence, MO. to New Mexico. Also a copy of my Porsche 981. This will provide an idea of what the BOL looks like.

Attached Images   

Last edited by nmvettec7; 01-19-2017 at 01:03 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Transporting my car from Illinois to Florida

Old 01-19-2017, 01:53 AM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Born in Ft Lauderdale. Grew up in Coral Springs. Lived in Port St Lucie most of my adult life until I started flying out of Miami International then started living in Hallandale, Hollywood, then Miami area. And yeah there are still some good people out there. Getting harder to find but out there. I really did think about helping you out and looked at locations and mileage but it just wouldn't make sense. But I'm always trying to help out if I can. I made two trips where one way I'd be empty and offered up on the forums to try and help out. Thanks on the set up. I built it to carry my Nascar truck and off road toys. Took me awhile to figure out what worked best from f150-f350 dually and toy haulers to straight 28' cargo but I'm good to go now with no limitations. I just sent an off road car out to California and it went well too. The buyer did everything. The commercial carriers are so regulated now days they aren't messing around. My close friend is a driver for cargo and they are so on point it's crazy. They can't have radar detectors, they can't tint windows too dark and the list goes on. The cost of insurance is crazy and no way they are gonna be wreckless. Just no reason for it. Stuff happens but no one is intentionally going to be stupid. So for me, I try to get the most reasonable rate that offers what the standard is. Do you do track days or any events? Sebring. Half mile? Saw your doing a build. Who is doing the work? Sorry for the rant. I can't talk shop all day lol.
Dude, I can talk shop all day too. I'm not well versed or mechanically inclined but I am learning lol. Especially with direct injection now, it's a lot different from regular FI.

But, I live in the Kendall area and I go to palm beach into every now and then. I plan to do wannagofast events but I'm going to be missing the one in march in florida since I am going to Lake Tahoe, CA to go snowboarding.

Redline motorsports in pompano beach is doing the work. I'm actually going to do a complete build thread on it once my car gets transported.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:56 AM
Mellow_Yellow_C7Z
Instructor

Originally Posted by nmvettec7
I have had many cars transported over the last 5 years.

Here's my take.

If you use a truck transport broker, they simply take your request, request zip code where the car is located, and the zip code where it is going. Auto transport brokers do not own any trucks, they simply broker the deal and find a trucker to transport the vehicle.

Transport brokers take your request and put the request out to bid via the Central Dispatch System (CDS). Truckers who make that route will bid on the transport and provide a general idea of when they can pick up the vehicle and deliver the vehicle. The transport broker collects a fee ($150 to $250) for taking your request and finding a trucker to transport the car. The transport broker takes a credit card payment for the upfront fee, and cash is paid to the driver of the transport when the car is delivered.

Yes, there can be bad stories when transport doesn't go the way they are expected, which is usually a late pick-up or late delivery other than promised. There are tons of transport brokers willing to find a transport.

The person requesting a bid over the internet will get inundated with bids and calls from brokers.

I have always used open carrier transport with no problems transporting a classic car 1966 Mustang, new Porsche 981 , new Corvette C7, new Genesis G80, 2017 Kia Sportage, without any problems.

The transport broker is one avenue to go with. Another is researching transport companies that make the route from Chicago area to Miami, Florida. This is a popular route. Call the transport company direct and secure the quote and negotiate the deal. This is the lowest and cheapest way to go.

My my opinion, enclosed carriers are over hyped and the cost is very expensive. In today's transport market you should be able to open transport from .60 to .80 per mile. Closed transport will cost $1.20 to $1.75 per mile for this luxury.

Transport companies are licensed, bonded and carry damage insurance. Each transport driver fills out a Bill of Lading (BOL), inspecting the vehicle before loading, and carefully marking the Bill of Lading with any damage to the car before loading the vehicle on the truck before transporting. Upon delivery, the car owner will get the Bill of Lading, inspect the car for damage, agree to the BOL and sign off on the document and receive the car.

The process is very simple.

Don't over think the process. Yes, it is a new Corvette, your new baby, but don't make this transport a brain braking deal. There are millions of cars transported across the USA annually. These are professional drivers who load and unload vehicles daily and could not care that they are transporting your Corvette. It is just another vehicle to load and deliver, and they move on to the next customer or dealer for pick-up and delivery.

Intercity, Reliable, Plycon, Horseless Carriage are some of the big name enclosed transport companies. If you have deep pockets to spend on auto transport, then this may be the way to go. They are expensive.

If your open minded, and have some trust, an open transport carrier will get the job done and save you money $$$.

Here's a copy of my BOL on my 2015 Corvette C7 transported from Independence, MO. to New Mexico. Also a copy of my Porsche 981. This will provide an idea of what the BOL looks like.

Thank you that was very detailed. The worst part of a new process is the unknown.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:55 AM
Burress06
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm shipping my C4 from NE to TN. Got an enclosed trailer on uShip for $830 total. Should be here tomorrow or Saturday. I'll let you know how the experience went when it arrives.

Quick Reply: Transporting my car from Illinois to Florida