Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Meet the 2019 C8 Mid Engine Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 01:33 AM
EddieA from Houston
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"...that huge trunk area is quite unique among cars of the C7's performance level. One of the best things about the car. I can put my road bicycle in the back. That's amazing."

When I told my buddies about loading my extended wheelbase bicycle in the back of my 2016 Stingray, my friends called me a liar [until I showed them pics]. All that storage in a high performance car weighing under 3,300 lbs -- WoW.
Old 01-19-2017, 01:37 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by patentcad
If they simply added AWD, kept the weight gain to under 200 lbs and kicked the engine on the base car up to closer to 500 bph - I think they could keep the cost down and be even closer to cars like the Ferrari 488. And the base price could still be under $60K.

Aside from being relatively hard to add AWD for 200lbs in a 500hp car, why would you want a slower heavier corvette? and how would extra weight and AWD make it closer to a 488?

Originally Posted by hanks10GS
All wheel drive with some added HP should be the next move and will keep the cost way under a mid-engine car.

GREAT idea. Let's move the engine back, then add a ton of weight over the front again.

And let's not forget AWD will be a huge cost. Complexity, warranty, design, material/manufacturing cost will be very substantial.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:53 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 1of38
^^^ The magical formula is one C8 rumour thread per every ten "my A8 sucks" threads.

So......we need 4 C8 threads going at any given time.
Nice one.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:46 AM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Default forward to porsche and audi

i guess didn't they realize what slugs they were building with their rear engine awd configured cars. how does that 911 awd turbo ever manage!

Originally Posted by village idiot
Aside from being relatively hard to add AWD for 200lbs in a 500hp car, why would you want a slower heavier corvette? and how would extra weight and AWD make it closer to a 488?

GREAT idea. Let's move the engine back, then add a ton of weight over the front again.

And let's not forget AWD will be a huge cost. Complexity, warranty, design, material/manufacturing cost will be very substantial.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:14 AM
marcouvo
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
or Chevy Ferrari...
Yeah, 6-cylinder or small V-8 with twin turbos.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:53 AM
hanks10GS
Burning Brakes

Received 160 Likes on 100 Posts

Well it seems to work for the GT-R which is about 350lbs heavier but it does have a rear seat that adds weight. And as TBIRD pointed out AWD hasn't slowed the 911 Turbo S down which weighs about the same as the Z06 and also has a rear seat. Granted, the Porsche has a different configuration but the Germans didn't seem to think that they needed to go mid-engine. Admittedly both cars do cost more than the C7 but they have more HP than the base C7. All of the comparisons that I see show faster times than the Z06 so there must be something to the AWD phenomenon.

I'm just sharing my feelings. I'm quite certain that Chevrolet doesn't care what I think and they no doubt have their path set already, I just hate to see them go M-E and have it ruin that greatest American sportscar ever.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:39 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
Have you ever driven an NSX by chance? If a Corvette turns like that, but coupled with the torque delivery of a typical Corvette...you've got a magical combination.
So magical that the new 2017 iteration of the NSX at almost $200,000 got its *** handed to it by the $90,000 2017 Grand Sport in the Lightning Lap?
Old 01-19-2017, 11:22 AM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AlanAutoSports
Difference between all those years and now, is that GM is involved in racing. Zora supported the idea of mid-engine, but GM execs internally didn't. Today, Corvette and Cadillac are pushing hard to have a global presence in the performance market versus BMW, Mercedes, and Corvette is looking at the competitive spaces that are occupied by NSX, Mclaren 570s, GTR, etc.

Comparing GM of the 60's/70's to the GM of today is beyond apples to oranges, it's apples to donuts. Your looking in the wrong place. GM today doesn't compete against the GM of the 60's it's competes against a current market. If the market demands it, then you build it. There was far from sufficient demand in the 60's/70's to build such a car, today is an ENTIRELY different story.

If GM doesn't build it, it'll be for budgetary reasons, in that it's cancelled due to a buying recession and poor outlook. In my belief though, the car is done and the investment is made. Porsche RSR is mid engine, Ferrari 388, FordGT...every car in their racing class is mid engine...it's happening.
You have completely missed the point. Countless numbers of threads relating to the "mid-engine corvette" myth based on nothing but speculation and conjecture. Not going to debate whether GM will or will not develop and produce the mid-engine vette. I personally do not care. As for comparing the corvettes of the 60's to now, that is not what I said or doing. The point of the statement is that GM has experimented with the mid-engine for the corvette for a long, long time and it has not come to fruition. If they do, they do and if they don't so be it. GM has their reasons. I loved the cars then and I love the generation now.
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
patentcad
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 321 Posts

Those are the challenges that incentivize engineering innovation. I think it can be done, and I think a 3500 lb AWD C8 with 500+ bph could potentially make the car faster, etc. But of course the devil is in the details.

Maybe you're right, maybe that's why Chevy won't go in that direction.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:08 PM
QKSLVRZ
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Kent1999
If the Mid is going to be the only model, just how many buyers will there be with average 'as equipped' prices near $100,000? I don't think the Corvette brand will survive at production levels less than 10,000 units annually.

Ask Dodge how well that low-volume strategy worked out.
I don't think they will do this, it isn't their model.

Maybe Cadillac, but not Chevy. And, even then the results will be the same, they could sell a lot of them, but not enough to really make a profit. Don't see them going into it with that philosophy.

If they do AWD, the front will be electric powered.

Originally Posted by EddieA from Houston
"...that huge trunk area is quite unique among cars of the C7's performance level. One of the best things about the car. I can put my road bicycle in the back. That's amazing."

When I told my buddies about loading my extended wheelbase bicycle in the back of my 2016 Stingray, my friends called me a liar [until I showed them pics]. All that storage in a high performance car weighing under 3,300 lbs -- WoW.
It was almost sized for a V8. Look at it, if they took the space out of the front, pushed the cabin forward, that hole is big enough for a V8, I heard gossip from the C7 design team it was going to be in the back, the the bankruptcy derailed it. But between a C6 and a C7, they were making an engine bay.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 01-19-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM
BigTankZ06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Mid Engine

I don't think corvette will go mid engine, unless they make two models. Carry on with the C7 platform because they have not kept it in production long enough to pay for all the engineering and production costs yet in the 4 years. The C7 is obtainable for most corvette enthusiasts and a mid engine version for the people with more money. Because to create this I feel base price is going to be $100k to 140k. Similar to the Ford GT when it came out 12 years ago. And they went up in value 2x the MSRP now. New ford GT 600k. It would be great if Chevrolet could do a car that would gain value over time. C4, C5 and C6 just keep dropping. Look at your average 2001 Z06 in value 30% of its original MSRP of 50k. So an exotic mid engine design from chevrolet will have a hefty sticker price. I just feel they would have to make 2 models.

That's my 2 cents. Wade
Old 01-19-2017, 01:10 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
And more than one rendering.
So here's mine.
Not bad at all.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I would add a few inches to the front, delete the spoiler or reduce the height. The rear quarter panel is to high and rear is to rounded. Lets not forget the convertible version. The final definitive must have; a manual transmission. Automatics are so boring, might as well be driving a Chevy Cruise.

Last edited by Larry/car; 01-19-2017 at 01:13 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:12 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by hanks10GS
Granted, the Porsche has a different configuration but the Germans didn't seem to think that they needed to go mid-engine.
I seem to recall something about Porsche finally going to ME in their GTLM 911 recently due to getting its a$$ handed 'em the last few years?

Admittedly both cars do cost more than the C7 but they have more HP than the base C7. All of the comparisons that I see show faster times than the Z06 so there must be something to the AWD phenomenon.
Not in professional racing series.
RWD still rules the day.

Originally Posted by pdiddy972
So magical that the new 2017 iteration of the NSX at almost $200,000 got its *** handed to it by the $90,000 2017 Grand Sport in the Lightning Lap?
Oops...

Originally Posted by Larry/car

Nice, I would add a few inches to the front, delete the spoiler or reduce the height. The rear quarter panel is to high and rear is to rounded. Lets not forget the convertible version. The final definitive must have; a manual transmission. Automatics are so boring, might as well be driving a Chevy Cruise.
Don't listen to Larry, Foosh...your rendering looks great.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:32 PM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,988 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6

If that is what the C8 is going to look like, I'll hold on to my C6 a little tighter
Old 01-19-2017, 05:34 PM
Malum1
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Holy moly, how many of these threads do we need here?
That was my point earlier!!! 😝
Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Holy moly, how many of these threads do we need here?
N+1 where N is the current number of open threads on the Mid-engine Corvette or Cadillac, or C7 ZR1 or DOHC engine. Take your pick.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (01-19-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Glenn Quagmire
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 604 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by QKSLVRZ
I don't think they will do this, it isn't their model.

Maybe Cadillac, but not Chevy. And, even then the results will be the same, they could sell a lot of them, but not enough to really make a profit. Don't see them going into it with that philosophy.
With all due respect, I don't think anyone would use the Dodge model for anything. Ford on the other hand is a different story. The FGT has been wildly successful. Over 6,000 applications for the new generation...which is A LOT given the $400K+ price point. That's just those that took the time and effort to go through the exercise (which I can attest, was far more onerous than when I bought my McLaren). But, the volume is being constrained in order to make the product profitable and prime the excitement. Plus, the unintended (or maybe it was intended) benefit was prospective buyers attempting to increase their chances of winning the lottery, by purchasing Mustangs to boost their Ford stable...

Last edited by Glenn Quagmire; 01-19-2017 at 06:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Meet the 2019 C8 Mid Engine Corvette

Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Originally Posted by Glenn Quagmire
Plus, the unintended (or maybe it was intended) benefit was prospective buyers attempting to increase their chances of winning the lottery, by purchasing Mustangs to boost their Ford stable...
Huh?
You have to buy a Mustang to have a shot at the GT?
Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM
themonk
Team Owner

Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Received 1,456 Likes on 799 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

name the least expensive mid engine awd car that can keep up with C7 performance.
Old 01-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Originally Posted by jagamajajaran
The ME (mid-engine) is NOT going to be the next generation Corvette (C8). It's going to be a separate vehicle. The next generation Corvette (C8) is projected to be produced as a 2021 MY car.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming...

^^^^^ This guys.......read this.

Quick Reply: Meet the 2019 C8 Mid Engine Corvette