Sponsored by:

Third time C7 has been at dealer for overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 03:51 AM
C7Italiano
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Third time C7 has been at dealer for overheating

I know this has been gone over many many times but with me being a new vette owner with my 2014 C7 with 6500 miles which now has 20k.... Both time the gauges read HOT, one time the A/C was turned off due to engine temp ect. I took it to the dealer two times which this has happen and they couldnt duplicate the problem. Well this time it actaully overheated with coolant everywhere ect. I had it towed to the dealer and one day later the service advisor called me to say my car was finished. He stated there was a service bulletin out about the car overheating and the coolant being pushed out which sounds like BULLSHIT to me so if anyone has any tips or pointers please help thanks! once again this is my first corvette and i bought it with 6500 miles and it now has 20k 6 months later.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:36 AM
2K14C7
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 520 Likes on 322 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

it could be something as simple as a defective thermostat. Hopefully the dealer would check that first.

Good luck.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:42 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

There were reported instances of some of early 2014 production where the coolant tank cap opening wasn't perfectly round preventing a proper seal. This resulted in some loss of coolant over time followed by overheating. A replacement tank cured the intermittent overheat problem.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

From your description it sounds like the cooling system wasn't holding pressure which allows the coolant to boil at lower temps, which eventually leads to the engine overheating because the coolant isn't doing its job of removing heat from the engine. You will get a lot of coolant blown around when that happens.

It could very well be true they had a cooling system service bulletin for a specific range of car serial numbers built in 2014. It happens to all product manufacturers and they handle the situation by sending service bulletins to the repair shops. The service bulletin saves a lot of diagnostic time. True, sometimes the cause of the problem isn't related to the cause described in the bulletin but they would probably try that first. Your problem may have been as simple to resolve as replace the radiator cap.

Take the car and drive it. If it overheats again take it back to the dealer.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
I Fly Low (05-20-2020)
Old 01-19-2017, 02:49 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

My memory was wrong on this, the tank issue was actually found in a Z06 but I am certain another poster later found the same cause for intermittent overheating. See post #86 in this thread; it probably something different with your car but it is easy to check: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-advice-5.html
Old 01-19-2017, 09:48 PM
Rand1993
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 2014 Overflow tank replacement

My 2014 2LT was built in February 2014. It is not a Z51 or a Z06. It was recalled for replacement of the overflow tank. I now have 15,000 miles on it without heating problems. l lived in the desert until recently. I now live in Florida. Both pretty hot climates. Your problem is the radiator cap, the thermostat, or the overflow tank.
Old 01-20-2017, 09:19 PM
viperz0677
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lemon?
Old 01-20-2017, 11:03 PM
gwalsh88
Burning Brakes

Received 803 Likes on 163 Posts

I had two episodes in which my 14 M7 overheated at around 20,000. I had the same problem you did that the dealer could not reproduce the issue tried to tell me it was normal and sent me on my way. about a day later it happened a third time and this time they changed the thermostat. The problem went away until I was just under 60,000 miles. The car did not overheat but was running hot in traffic. This time it was the water pump which was covered under the powertrain warranty. I have gone a couple more thousand miles since in some very hot traffic situations and she is running cool again.
Old 05-19-2020, 04:11 PM
Tommyitalian305
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c7italiano
i know this has been gone over many many times but with me being a new vette owner with my 2014 c7 with 6500 miles which now has 20k.... Both time the gauges read hot, one time the a/c was turned off due to engine temp ect. I took it to the dealer two times which this has happen and they couldnt duplicate the problem. Well this time it actaully overheated with coolant everywhere ect. I had it towed to the dealer and one day later the service advisor called me to say my car was finished. He stated there was a service bulletin out about the car overheating and the coolant being pushed out which sounds like bullshit to me so if anyone has any tips or pointers please help thanks! Once again this is my first corvette and i bought it with 6500 miles and it now has 20k 6 months later.

i found out its something very simple!! Its the coolant cap. I know it sounds dumb but thats what was wrong with my car
Landru (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 05:04 PM
Red86Cfour
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

This is a 3+ year old thread. So how did the cap come loose, and how long was it loose? Probably the fan control module. Common problem on 2014s. Fix is to put a z06 fan from a later year in the car. It comes with a new controller, and the bonus is its a higher wattage fan so more cooling capacity. Takes about an hour and it costs a couple hundred from rock auto. Do a search.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:34 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

When mine was overheating, it was the thermostat. At least, that's what the dealer said. My symptom was a loss of coolant.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:27 PM
Tommyitalian305
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Red86Cfour
This is a 3+ year old thread. So how did the cap come loose, and how long was it loose? Probably the fan control module. Common problem on 2014s. Fix is to put a z06 fan from a later year in the car. It comes with a new controller, and the bonus is its a higher wattage fan so more cooling capacity. Takes about an hour and it costs a couple hundred from rock auto. Do a search.
actually my car overheated 1 day and I thought it was the head gasket. and I finally took it to a very good mechanic and he told me that coolant cap was cracked and there was no pressure holding the coolant. so thats why my car was overheating. I think it was broke for a few months. also that fan idea is not a bad idea even though my fan works fine. oh btw I know its a 3yr old thread and I didn't expect anyone to reply lol. also I was hoping someone would seee it for ppl with future similar issues
Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 PM
xtroms
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 33 Posts

My 15 Z51 overheated while on a trip with both oil & water temp gauges pegged. Limped back to a truck stop & put in 2 gallons of coolant. That happened on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend so had no choice other than that or set for 2 days until the dealer opened. Got to my nephew's 200 miles further with normal temps. The dealer there did a complete coolant flush & oil change & seemed to think I had an air block in the system. Run OK the 1,000 miles home. Later started spitting out coolant when it got hot, but not until I parked. Put on a new cap as advised by the dealer & have never had the problem since. Go figure!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:30 AM
I Fly Low
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
From your description it sounds like the cooling system wasn't holding pressure which allows the coolant to boil at lower temps, which eventually leads to the engine overheating because the coolant isn't doing its job of removing heat from the engine. You will get a lot of coolant blown around when that happens.

It could very well be true they had a cooling system service bulletin for a specific range of car serial numbers built in 2014. It happens to all product manufacturers and they handle the situation by sending service bulletins to the repair shops. The service bulletin saves a lot of diagnostic time. True, sometimes the cause of the problem isn't related to the cause described in the bulletin but they would probably try that first. Your problem may have been as simple to resolve as replace the radiator cap.

Take the car and drive it. If it overheats again take it back to the dealer.

Bill
Thanks for the detailed explanation. Your posts are always informative.
Old 05-22-2020, 02:24 AM
Tommyitalian305
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by xtroms
My 15 Z51 overheated while on a trip with both oil & water temp gauges pegged. Limped back to a truck stop & put in 2 gallons of coolant. That happened on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend so had no choice other than that or set for 2 days until the dealer opened. Got to my nephew's 200 miles further with normal temps. The dealer there did a complete coolant flush & oil change & seemed to think I had an air block in the system. Run OK the 1,000 miles home. Later started spitting out coolant when it got hot, but not until I parked. Put on a new cap as advised by the dealer & have never had the problem since. Go figure!

Lmaoo its amazing how frustrating it was thinking my head gasket was blown and finding out after 3 momths that it was a simple coolant cap crack. I almost spent 4k on a new header. Went from 4k to 200 bucks lol.. thats amazing..
Cumbers (05-23-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Third time C7 has been at dealer for overheating

Quick Reply: Third time C7 has been at dealer for overheating