C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 06:59 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Dealers

Dealers are not upolsterers. They do not have the skill or equipment to upolster seats. I know OEM will not send a new seat but that is what they should or you get the wrinkle problem then the kiss off. Believe me Lexus would never tolarate that shabby way. GM will never change.70.000 for a car and you get the kiss off
Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Buddy of mine had paint issues on the front bumper of his 13 GTR. No local dealership would touch it because it was Super Silver and is a mega expensive paintjob outside of the factory. Nissan sent a rep from Michigan to his house here in Pennsylvania to look at it, he called and got a brand new painted bumper shipped from the factory.

It's a shame, I've been watching some forum dealers for the right GS to pop up in inventory.... but now I think I need to take a closer look at some of the competition, sad because a Yellow C4/C5 was my dream car as a kid, this is doing nothing but tarnishing that.

Last edited by SK360; 02-15-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 06:46 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Hey GM can I get one of those seats out of the wrecked ones on the truck? :P
Old 02-17-2017, 06:56 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Dealers are not upolsterers. They do not have the skill or equipment to upolster seats. I know OEM will not send a new seat but that is what they should or you get the wrinkle problem then the kiss off. Believe me Lexus would never tolarate that shabby way. GM will never change.70.000 for a car and you get the kiss off
As I said earlier, outside of Lexus and maybe Hyundai you're not going to get that type of service.

Even the Germans yank you around. Dealers are SUPPOSED to be capable at installing seat covers. They are trained to do it, and they fail because they just don't care or can't get the right people (or turnover so you constantly have to re-train).

The OEMs have policies, and the Dealers are supposed to abide by them. But everyone here wants to make more money, so corners get cut. I have a love-hate relationship with Dealers. They can be good in some ways, and terrible in others, all depends on the Dealer Principal and his/her priorities.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:19 PM
kaplana08
Pro

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Common Sense

Again.. Dealers are not upholsterers. To do I good job requires skill, Much time devoted to the craft. You can't get upholstery training in one day, then do one job every 2 years and be any good at it. most techs at the dealer probably never reupholstered a seat in their lives. The dealer is not about to let the tech fool around all day with getting it perfect . I know someone who did it for a living he told me in no way will they get it right without experience or luck.It can take steaming,, stretching and more to really do a good job.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:14 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by kaplana08
Again.. Dealers are not upholsterers. To do I good job requires skill, Much time devoted to the craft. You can't get upholstery training in one day, then do one job every 2 years and be any good at it. most techs at the dealer probably never reupholstered a seat in their lives. The dealer is not about to let the tech fool around all day with getting it perfect . I know someone who did it for a living he told me in no way will they get it right without experience or luck.It can take steaming,, stretching and more to really do a good job.
I don't think you're getting the point with my comments.

It is not a question of if a dealer is an upholsterer not. They need to provide that service. If they can't do it in house they should farm it out to a local sub-contractor. The dealer gets paid X for a warranty claim (based on book time) therefore they should find a company willing to fix the issue for that cost.

A dealer wants your service as a customer. The dealer KNOWS how the OEM works. The customer expects the dealer to solve the issue and does not care about what the OEM will replace or what the dealer will get paid. The dealer should not make his/her relationship an issue with the customer. The customer sees the dealer and the OEM as the same person, and does not care who pays for it, just that it is fixed well.

Dealers unfortunately can continue to have "average" to "below-average" service and yet they can maintain their license. The OEM has a difficult time "firing" a dealer and replacing them with a better one (even in bankruptcy Chrysler could not shed some dealers, they fought in court for 8 years now and some are coming back). So this prevents the free market from operating as customers are "trapped" by distance to dealers. You can either go to the "crappy" dealer or not go at all. Dealers know this, and frankly many of them could care less. They are in the business to make money, not provide customer service. The OEMs pay for it in lost sales. They can't even "pay" the dealers to be better. So many dumb rules are involved in franchising laws.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:05 AM
bobs-z51
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My car has 2 more months left on the warentee, Will they replace the center console cover? Its starting to rinckle
Old 02-18-2017, 11:45 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

I remember an almost identical thread over on the Audi site I used to visit . . . the dealer finally replaced the whole seat to keep the customer happy.

A few replies mentioned upholstery--I wonder if an auto upholsterer could get the cover to fit?
Old 02-24-2017, 06:06 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Found my seat like this today....
Attached Images    
Old 02-24-2017, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Did sun Chevrolet do that???
Old 04-12-2017, 09:49 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

As an update.

Been working with GM Executive care since I sent them pics of my seat coming apart, They escalated to the regional executive and have been working on resolution. The rep says her hope is that I can get it fixed at a shop of my choosing and GM will cover the bill. The problem is it's now been almost 2 months since I found my seat coming apart and there has been no action, only talk. Horrible service all around from GM and their dealership networks.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Why don't you tell them to order you 2 new seats from the Chevy vender who makes the seats.
Old 04-12-2017, 05:25 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 6714
Why don't you tell them to order you 2 new seats from the Chevy vender who makes the seats.
Sounds easy but that will have no affect.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Updates?
Old 09-15-2017, 10:42 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

**** guess I never did update this.

GM Eventually came back and told me to meet the regional manager at a local upholstery shop at x date at x time. They were able to tighten up the seat and get it back together.

A couple of weeks later the side bolster came apart again. I spent another month back and forth with GM until we could get an appointment to have the shop look at it again. They said the clips that hold the leather in the seat tracks were worn from being in and out so many times. He bent the teeth on the clips out to try and get them to hold better and asked GM to get them new ones so when it comes apart again they can fix it for good.

The repair with the old clips is still holding strong 2 months later so I'm going to wait to see if/when it comes apart again to have them touch it.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:08 AM
KennyG MacMulkin
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
I took my car to the dealer back in September due to warranty about to expire and the suede insert being wrinkled at the bottom. They decided they needed to replace the entire seat cover, they ordered one and this is how I got it back.

I got the service manager out to look at it and he agreed they needed to do better. I took it back the week before thanksgiving to have their "interior guy" look at it. They called and said it didn't look much better. I said that wasn't acceptable so they sent it off to a local trim/upholstery shop. They called and said it still didn't look better and they were ordering a new seat cover which was backordered.

They called last week and finally said it was all fixed up and ready to go. Went down today since its unseasonably warm here in Pittsburgh and opened the door to find this...

(Indent on bolster wasn't there at the dealer, I did it for the pic to show how loose the cover is)

My wife was with me today and she thought I was being dramatic when I came back into the dealership. I told her to go out and look at it herself and she came back in and said she agreed with me.

I told the service advisor to keep it until it was made right but he insisted I take it and he was going to engage the regional rep/manager on Monday, they are a 45 minute drive and it's the middle of winter, we lucked out with a day like today (62* and Sunny with clean roads from rain the past 2 days). I begrudgingly signed the pickup paper and drove it home.

Am I being too picky and should just accept this as normal? This is what my seat looked like the day before I took it in the first time, I'm getting real sick of the runaround from GM dealers. I already engaged customer care and they interfaced with the dealer to escalate the replacement seat cover.

The biggest issue with replacing them seat covers is the way they come shipped to the dealer. These pieces are coming to our parts department vacuum sealed. Not a good thing to do to a piece of leather. Most wrinkles, etc. come from this issue along with the fact that the whole seat should be "cured" before re-delivery to the customer from service. I hope you get your issue resolved and that QA at the factory improves to catch these issues before they hit the dealer or consumer. I wouldn't say it's a huge known issue but GM is taking notice

Last edited by KennyG MacMulkin; 09-15-2017 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

my car is at the dealer with comp seats for this exact problem. The driver side was really bad, but the passenger side was starting too. They ordered a seat cover, but the bigger wait is the retaining cilps. It sounds to me like this is a known issue with these seats. Is this a durability problem? My car was a show car, so I'm sure people didnt really pay attention to rubbing the bolster when they got in
Old 09-17-2017, 09:38 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

One of my 2009 Corvettes with red interior and seats had premature wear on it and the dealer wanted to replace the seat back so I brought it back in for that. After they replaced it there was a substantial wrinkle in it which they say would work its way out and it did. I was skeptical at first but I guess I got lucky on it.

So, no, you are not being pickey and we hope it works out for you!

Quick Reply: Am I being too picky? Dealership issues with seat cover replacement.