Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rev match revving on 1->2 shift?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 PM
NathanS
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rev match revving on 1->2 shift?

Tried searching, but maybe this is a me-only issue. Sometimes, on the 1-2 upshift from a stop with rev-match on, the car will rev up to 3k or so for no apparent reason. Anyone else have this kind of problem? The system works all the time otherwise.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:11 AM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by NathanS
Tried searching, but maybe this is a me-only issue. Sometimes, on the 1-2 upshift from a stop with rev-match on, the car will rev up to 3k or so for no apparent reason. Anyone else have this kind of problem? The system works all the time otherwise.
I haven't seen this, but here's an idea that occurs to me. Are you pausing at all with the lever in the neutral position? It's conceivable that you could be triggering the microswitch (if that's what it is) and fooling it into thinking you're going to shift back into first gear.
The following 2 users liked this post by Widgeon5:
NathanS (02-02-2017), pdiddy972 (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 12:13 AM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

the rev match begins to blip with any side movement whatsoever. I can be in 3rd...go to neutral...slow down and before I stop just push the shifter left in the neutral channel and it will give it a blip.

I think maybe sometimes you are not coming straight down fast into 2nd. depending on what speed you are going, the lockout trying to send you to 4th is probably causing you to push a little left to get it to go into 2nd. This odd circumstance might be what you're experience in that when you go a little left to get it to go down into second, under the right rpm range, it blips.
The following users liked this post:
NathanS (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 07:02 AM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

This has happened to me several times, always when the car is cold - never after the car has warmed up. I was going to mention it to the dealer but it is too inconsistent to replicate.
NathanS (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 10:19 PM
NathanS
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, yeah, it is only when cold, and come to think of it - I am shifting slowly and easily, since the trans is cold and I like this car. My guess is it's just a quirk of the algorithm or the position sensor, so I'm not too worried. Nice to know it's not just my car though.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:23 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Mine doesn't rev up to 3k rpms but when driving real slow when car is cold and shifting to second I notice the car does kind of push forward into the gear and speed up a bit with rev match on.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:38 AM
jknox
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine does it intermediately... No real rhyme or reason. Just blips it from time to time on the 1-2 shift. Kinda annoying
Old 02-03-2017, 01:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,622 Likes on 6,626 Posts

I use rev match all the time and wondered why some said it over revs.

I was able to duplicate the problem on a downshift which may relate to the issue you describe.

Driving at 45 mph in 5th gear I made my often used shift to 3rd as if making a turn. Always get a perfect match. But as a test I moved the shift lever when in neutral toward the 1st/2nd gate. I did NOT put it in either gear, was just moving it while in neutral toward the 1st/2nd gate. Revs went up as if I was going to shift to 2nd!

The Hall sensors anticipate where you are going to shift! By moving the shift lever over a bit too far to the left, it anticipated I was going to shift to 2nd!

I have also had to stop another habit of shifting to an intermediate gear while I had my clutch depressed. In fact that is warned about. For example when coming to a stop light, I would put it in the intermediate gears as I approached the light instead of directly into 1st. Confuses the trans! I would also do that in my common 5th to 3rd shift when making a turn in town. I would put it in 4th with the clutch still depressed (it spools up the cluster gears.) Can't do that, let the triple syncro's manage the gear cluster speeds!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-03-2017 at 01:47 AM.
cor66vette (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by JerryU
I have also had to stop another habit of shifting to an intermediate gear while I had my clutch depressed. In fact that is warned about. For example when coming to a stop light, I would put it in the intermediate gears as I approached the light instead of directly into 1st. Confuses the trans! I would also do that in my common 5th to 3rd shift when making a turn in town. I would put it in 4th with the clutch still depressed (it spools up the cluster gears.) Can't do that, let the triple syncro's manage the gear cluster speeds!
Good info, thanks for that!
Old 02-03-2017, 04:44 PM
stephen1254
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow, yeah, it is only when cold, and come to think of it - I am shifting slowly and easily, since the trans is cold and I like this car. My guess is it's just a quirk of the algorithm or the position sensor, so I'm not too worried. Nice to know it's not just my car though.
What is odd about it is the engine revs drop when you shift from first to second - why would the revs increase like we are experiencing? The only time the revs increase is a downshift, and you can't shift any lower than the first gear you are coming out of. Something else is going on - fortunately it doesn't happen very often.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:46 PM
460z51
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also have a 2017 Z51 M7, I had the same issue from 1st to 2nd shift. I also noticed it was when cold. I did have a down shift from 7 and looking for 6th but never put it in 4th and it did rev high. So if your going fast an searching for a gear, take it it out of rev match. It will rev up even if you do not engage the wrong gear with the clutch in. You are not alone.

Get notified of new replies

To Rev match revving on 1->2 shift?

Quick Reply: Rev match revving on 1->2 shift?