Sponsored by:

New owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 02:47 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New owner questions

I just bought my 2017 LT1 Racing Yellow corvette coupe.

I traded in my 2000 MY coupe after 12 years as my daily driver.

I LOVE this car. The driving experience, the ride, the changable guage cluster etc. The seat comfort is also night and day. I had the sport seats in my 2000, and this one has the GT Bucket seats. These seats support me a lot better. They still are not like the seats that were in my 88.

I switched from the manual in my 2000 to the 8speed auto and the power application is just awesome. I love not having to shift a million times in traffic.

So, to my questions.

1. What do you treat the interior with? I don't want to accidentally stain whatever the dash material is.

2. Is there a way to add the HUD ? I miss that from my 2000.

3. Is there a way to add the memory seats? I miss the easy out option.

4. I noticed that the back of the car has the same low pressure issue as the C5 and that exhaust grime dirty's the back of the car still. Any tricks to reduce that?

5. The owner's manual indicates that an oil change is due at the 500 mile mark, is that correct?

6. Why is the privacy shade from chevrolet so darn expensive? Are there any reasonable alternatives?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Rooster OG
Le Mans Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,240 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

I know you'll get lots of answers to your other questions, but here's a more moderately priced security shade:

https://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5339

I know they give a forum discount and I thought I saw they just started a sale too, but I can't seem to find the info on it.
The following users liked this post:
brookman (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 03:42 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

OP, congrats on your new ride PIX??

1) Damp micro fiber cloth...the interior is plastic coated leather composite.

2) YES, expensive & I would be worried about pulling the dash apart ,IMHO

3) Probably, I'm no expert on that but I'll bet one of our forum members has done that and hopefully will chime in.

4) Don't think so as hard to change the aerodynamics. I keep that area well waxed so the leaf blower takes most of the stuff off until I wash it.

5) YUP, there are solvents in the oil from engine seal assembly that need to come out. Make sure you go to a dealer that has done lots of
oil changes as it is really easy to screw it up by not removing the second drain plug OR overfilling the sump....service bulletin regarding correct refil amount is available to your dealership. If they don't have it "back out of the service bay and take off"

6) as per Rooster OG

Woops, just re-read your post and see you are not a z51 SO , no second drain plug but the rest of the # 5 answer still applies

Also if you are NOT a Z51 your manual should not talk about a 500 mile oil change...now I'm confused

Last edited by 767guy; 02-02-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,365 Likes on 790 Posts

Originally Posted by brookman
I just bought my 2017 LT1 Racing Yellow corvette coupe.

I traded in my 2000 MY coupe after 12 years as my daily driver.

I LOVE this car. The driving experience, the ride, the changable guage cluster etc. The seat comfort is also night and day. I had the sport seats in my 2000, and this one has the GT Bucket seats. These seats support me a lot better. They still are not like the seats that were in my 88.

I switched from the manual in my 2000 to the 8speed auto and the power application is just awesome. I love not having to shift a million times in traffic.

So, to my questions.

1. What do you treat the interior with? I don't want to accidentally stain whatever the dash material is.

2. Is there a way to add the HUD ? I miss that from my 2000.

3. Is there a way to add the memory seats? I miss the easy out option.

4. I noticed that the back of the car has the same low pressure issue as the C5 and that exhaust grime dirty's the back of the car still. Any tricks to reduce that?

5. The owner's manual indicates that an oil change is due at the 500 mile mark, is that correct?

6. Why is the privacy shade from chevrolet so darn expensive? Are there any reasonable alternatives?

Thanks for taking the time to read!
1. Damp cloth
2. 2LT
3. 2LT
4. First I've heard of this.
5. Why wouldn't it be correct?
6. Not sure what you're talking about. I got some flimsy thing with mine that I've never used. Didn't you get one?

Enjoy your new ride.
Old 02-02-2017, 03:55 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

The standard engine in the 1LT is the LT1 ? The 2017 book said 500 miles. I will take a picture of the page and post it.

Originally Posted by 767guy

3) Probably, I'm no expert on that but I'll bet one of our forum members has done that and hopefully will chime in.

4) Don't think so as hard to change the aerodynamics. I keep that area well waxed so the leaf blower takes most of the stuff off until I wash it.

5) YUP, there are solvents in the oil from engine seal assembly that need to come out. Make sure you go to a dealer that has done lots of
oil changes as it is really easy to screw it up by not removing the second drain plug OR overfilling the sump....service bulletin regarding correct refil amount is available to your dealership. If they don't have it "back out of the service bay and take off"

6) as per Rooster OG

Woops, just re-read your post and see you are not a z51 SO , no second drain plug but the rest of the # 5 answer still applies

Also if you are NOT a Z51 your manual should not talk about a 500 mile oil change...now I'm confused
Old 02-02-2017, 04:01 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 767guy

6) as per Rooster OG

Getting the clear bra installed

Old 02-02-2017, 04:08 PM
Strake
Melting Slicks

Received 1,876 Likes on 1,010 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The need for an oil change at 500 miles is for models WITH the dry sump oil system, which include the Z51, Grand Sport, and Z06. The owner's manual covers all of these models.

The Base Stingray, whether that is an 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT trim level does not need the 500 mile oil change.

Items such as front cameras, seat memory, HUD, ventilated and heated seats come on the 2LT, or 3LT trim levels and not on the 1LT.

Last edited by Strake; 02-02-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Rebel Yell (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:18 PM
brookman
Burning Brakes

My question was around adding the options (if possible).

On the C5 the HUD addition was plug and play.

Originally Posted by Strake
The need for an oil change at 500 miles is for models WITH the dry sump oil system, which include the Z51, Grand Sport, and Z06. The owner's manual covers all of these models.

The Base Stingray, whether that is an 1LT, 2LT, or 3LT trim level does not need the 500 mile oil change.

Items such as front cameras, seat memory, HUD, ventilated and heated seats come on the 2LT, or 3LT trim levels and not on the 1LT.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:26 PM
767guy
Pro

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

Brookman , thanks for posting pix, car looks really nice.

I agree the HUD is nice to have. On the C7 series vette when you get a HUD equipped car it has a windshield that is different than the non HUD equipped cars. My concern would be what might the quality of the image be if the car is not equipped with the correct windshield. I think I have seen a thread on the forum regarding someone who added a HUD so maybe you will get a comment on that from a forum member. Good luck with your new ride.
brookman (02-02-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:46 PM
drs
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 278 Likes on 184 Posts

I think most of your questions have been answered, but wanted to welcome you to the C7 Forum. Your car looks great.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 AM
brookman
Burning Brakes

Thanks all! I just found a thread from someone that did a HUD install. No thanks. Not simple like it used to be.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:47 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by brookman
Thanks all! I just found a thread from someone that did a HUD install. No thanks. Not simple like it used to be.
Appears you do not have the Z51 performance pkg. Therefore, there is no OEM required oil change. I suggest you check with dealer to ensure you are cognizant of required and free oil changes.

Not sure of your finances, but you would have been better off purchasing a 2LT (HUD, memory seats standard) Stingray, especially with the deep discounts that are out there, and will continue to be until MY18.

Adding HUD, memory seat function on a C7 is cost prohibitive and not recommended.

Appears you may have not researched the C7 before purchase. That said, good luck with the C7.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Hey brookman, beautiful C7!!!! Love the color, and welcome!!

Get notified of new replies

To New owner questions

Quick Reply: New owner questions