Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 12:13 PM
solarstingray
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts

also just pay the ticket, insurance rates wont go up only unless you file a claim, it goes away after 3 years,
The following users liked this post:
gwalsh88 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 01:24 PM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

The point as of yet just keeps getting missed. Going past someone on the right...is NOT "Passing" them...Example. I'm traveling in left lane because right lane is filled with cars travelling slower...I come up on slower vehicle in left lane and an opening happens on right. I move right and go past car on my left. That is legal. If I'm in right lane and am traveling faster than cars on my left, I'm going past them, That is legal. I'm in middle or a not left or right lane traveling faster than other lanes, That is legal. There are no more possible scenarios. According to your logic, if i came up on a slower vehicle on my left in any of the scenarios above I'd have to slow down as not to be Passing anyone to my left. That would be absurd. The stay right rule is excepted on 3 or more lane roads. Since it is legal to travel in any lane you want in that kind of road, would you have the entire freeway stuck behind a slow vehicle on the left just so no one passes on the right...no.

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
In Michigan on a 2 lane interstate if you pass on the right, you are in violation of the Michigan law. Basically, since the Uniform Traffic Code doesn't specify, you must know the law of your jurisdiction.

My opinion, is when I don't know the law, I err on the side of caution. One will never get a ticket for passing on the left at a lawful speed. One might (jurisdiction dependent) get one for passing on the right. Ergo, it is more prudent to never pass on the right.

The earlier point still stands, as that this is never enforced even when it is law, so people ignore it and then always pass on the right because they never fear being pulled over.

Last edited by CSevenGS; 02-14-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Sometimes it helps to remind the cop that you pay his f*ckin' salary. Just kiddin. I would fight the ticket.
gwalsh88 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 03:54 PM
phisch
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajaste
Sometimes it helps to remind the cop that you pay his f*ckin' salary. Just kiddin. I would fight the ticket.
I had a friend who told that to a cop that pulled him over one time. He said the cop took 2 pennies out of his pocket and told my friend he could have his portion of the salary back. He still got the ticket.

Last edited by phisch; 02-14-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:05 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
The point as of yet just keeps getting missed. Going past someone on the right...is NOT "Passing" them...Example. I'm traveling in left lane because right lane is filled with cars travelling slower...I come up on slower vehicle in left lane and an opening happens on right. I move right and go past car on my left. That is legal. If I'm in right lane and am traveling faster than cars on my left, I'm going past them, That is legal. I'm in middle or a not left or right lane traveling faster than other lanes, That is legal. There are no more possible scenarios. According to your logic, if i came up on a slower vehicle on my left in any of the scenarios above I'd have to slow down as not to be Passing anyone to my left. That would be absurd. The stay right rule is excepted on 3 or more lane roads. Since it is legal to travel in any lane you want in that kind of road, would you have the entire freeway stuck behind a slow vehicle on the left just so no one passes on the right...no.
First bolded section. Not legal in Michigan on two lane limited access highways (so 90% of rural freeways). I don't think you get that. In my state it is illegal. Do I need to quote you the statute?

Second bolded section. DING DING DING!!!! Now you get it. Yes, you would have to slow down, or more CORRECTLY, the dummy in the left lane would have to move right and get out of your way. This is why that "passhole" person should get a ticket, because as you said everyone on the freeway gets stuck behind them. You finally see the whole point, the guy in the left lane NEEDS TO MOVE RIGHT.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:11 PM
Vette_It_be
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That cop was a dick. Karma will catch up with that ******* and pay him back.
gwalsh88 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 05:15 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by solarstingray
also just pay the ticket, insurance rates wont go up only unless you file a claim, it goes away after 3 years,
Not always true. USAA will raise your rates for three years following any moving violation conviction. I assume that other insurance companies are similar.
LT1 Z51 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 06:51 PM
CSevenGS
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

1. First bolded section is not illegal in Michigan. Only first example applies to 2 lane. As long as I was traveling faster than right lane in left lane that's ok, until that opening comes about.
2. Your "ding" is absurd. You're telling me if you were going 70 in a 70 in right lane and came up on a left lane car going 60...you slow to 60 and wait for him to eventually, if ever, get over to right so you could get over left and go past him...I call BS.
3. If you can say you would with a straight face and that is what you think everyone should do on multi lane roads, I guess I'm done. You can't see reason.
First bolded section. Not legal in Michigan on two lane limited access highways (so 90% of rural freeways). I don't think you get that. In my state it is illegal. Do I need to quote you the statute?

Second bolded section. DING DING DING!!!! Now you get it. Yes, you would have to slow down, or more CORRECTLY, the dummy in the left lane would have to move right and get out of your way. This is why that "passhole" person should get a ticket, because as you said everyone on the freeway gets stuck behind them. You finally see the whole point, the guy in the left lane NEEDS TO MOVE RIGHT.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:54 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by CSevenGS
1. First bolded section is not illegal in Michigan. Only first example applies to 2 lane. As long as I was traveling faster than right lane in left lane that's ok, until that opening comes about.
2. Your "ding" is absurd. You're telling me if you were going 70 in a 70 in right lane and came up on a left lane car going 60...you slow to 60 and wait for him to eventually, if ever, get over to right so you could get over left and go past him...I call BS.
3. If you can say you would with a straight face and that is what you think everyone should do on multi lane roads, I guess I'm done. You can't see reason.
2. No it's not absurd. The person in the left lane is in the WRONG and should be punished. Now based on the current situation would I pass them on the right, yes, but it's not the right thing to do. I'd also probably blow my horn at them and give them a dirty look.

3. Why is that absurd? This is the problem, you can't even fathom the idea that everyone should have common courtesy. I can see reason. You are the one who is asking us to just be dicks to each other.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by phisch
I had a friend who told that to a cop that pulled him over one time. He said the cop took 2 pennies out of his pocket and told my friend he could have his portion of the salary back. He still got the ticket.

Clever cop. He probably had that response rehearsed from having heard the line about the salary 1000x.

Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Ajaste
Clever cop. He probably had that response rehearsed from having heard the line about the salary 1000x.

No doubt.
Old 02-15-2017, 04:17 PM
ZO ZICK
Team Owner

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

Probably a Mustang owner
Old 02-15-2017, 05:19 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Or viper 😉
Old 02-15-2017, 05:44 PM
OzarkCorvetteGuy
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Prius
Old 02-15-2017, 07:59 PM
Ajaste
-----
Support Corvetteforum!

Been driving for 40 years and have encountered all kinds of LEOs over that time, both good and bad. The only observation that almost always seems to hold true is that if you're stopped by a motorcycle cop and come away with only a warning, buy yourself a Lotto ticket, it's your lucky day.

Last edited by Ajaste; 02-15-2017 at 09:36 PM.
sunsalem (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM
girardta
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Good cop

I was once stopped by a Dallas cop for making an illegal u-turn.

He came up to the driver's window and ask, "Now WHY would you make an illegal u-turn in front of a big ol' sigh telling you not to, and in front of a cop?"

I said, "Well, obviously, I didn't see the cop."

He laughed, made me promise to not do it again, and let me go without even a warning ticket.

Instead of a lame excuse, try a good attitude and a little humor. It might work.

Last edited by girardta; 02-16-2017 at 07:11 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by girardta:
jschindler (02-16-2017), LT1 Z51 (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:30 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, arguing that someone else was going faster pretty much guarantees you'll get the citation. Never question an LEO on his/her judgement on the side of the road and be exceedingly respectful. You can question their judgement in court later, if necessary, but usually it's just best to beg for mercy.
I agree. I might hold a record for getting warnings instead of tickets. Attitude and being honest goes a long way the them.

Just a guess, but the OP was having a bad day and was frustrated. I'm guessing that your frustration came through in both your driving and your attitude. I don't mean that as criticism it's just human nature. Usually our mood shows through when we don't even realize it.

Last edited by jschindler; 02-16-2017 at 07:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-16-2017, 08:32 AM
nelsond003
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd like to see the video. I've been in law enforcement for over 21 years and I have never given a ticket for 6 over unless there was mitigating circumstances. Not calling you a liar, but dosent pass the common sense test.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

The passing and lane rules require traffic to be traveling at speed. I've seen LA freeways, no one is going at speed. Therefore the rules would not apply.

Germans drive just like we do when they get in a traffic jam. But once the congestion ends, slow cars move right, and everyone gets out of that left lane (and most cars leave the center lane unless they are traveling at a rate of speed in which they are constantly passing cars in the right lane).
German drivers have a no-fault system, so if somebody hits you, it is half your fault for not avoiding the accident. The end result in my opinion is that the drivers are much less passive aggressive. No one trying to get into an accident to collect insurance money. I witnessed this several times where cars would slow up to let you pass them and even a car coming towards you would slow up. Another difference is that if you hit a bicyclist or a pedestrian you lose your license. Drivers give leeway to a bicycle rider. It was quite awesome to see cars pulling over for a couple of speeding Porsche's. I actually think our highways are better but their way of driving and being courteous to fast cars allows for no speed limits in a lot of areas. Someday I would love to bring my Z06 over there and really have some fun.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:30 PM
joeycoates
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I too used to be a police officer... most of us wouldn't even touch pulling someone over unless 10mph over. I would not unless 12mph over and even then it was just because I had PC to check things out. I very rarely issued a ticket, and if I did it was normally because someone talked themselves into it or did something really egregious like running a stale red light. I wouldn't have even looked at you twice other than to admire the Corvette...
The following 2 users liked this post by joeycoates:
Carvin (02-21-2017), DickieDoo (02-16-2017)

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax