Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:00 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by atvBob
Not sure how they handle things in YOUR neck of the woods, but those cites are written every day here.
In Metro Detroit they are not.

We have cars on the road that are barely functional. I see cars without by bumpers, burned out lights, and such daily.

Signals here are a "suggestion" based on the usage.

In Metro Detroit it's the wild west basically.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 02-17-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:02 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

No it doesn't. It means stay out of the left lane unless you're passing.

If there are two tables in a restaurant and one is labeled as a handicapped table and the other isn't, does that mean someone who is handicapped can't sit at the non-labeled table?
Actually those are not equivalent comparisons, because being in the right or left lane is mutually exclusive in regards to how you can pass.

It's simple mathematics, if I'm in the right lane, then I can't be passed on the right. If I'm only in the left lane to pass a person going slower in the right lane then no one can pass me in the right lane.

I mean, it's an elementary logic problem. I can't fathom how this isn't understood.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:05 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

In MI, you're only required to keep right except to pass when you are on a roadway with two lanes moving in the same direction. Keep right except to pass does NOT apply to highways with three or more lanes moving in the same direction EXCEPT for large trucks, which must remain out of the left lane unless exiting the roadway.

MCL 257.634 covers lane use. Specifically, subsections (2) and (3) apply to the use of the left-hand lane by traffic.

The only thing you CAN'T do relative to the 3+ lane freeway is travel in the left lane at a speed significantly slower than the rest of the traffic. This does NOT, however, mean you have to travel at 85 mph in a 65 mph zone, simply because others are. THAT is what the MSP has recently started cracking down on folks for doing.
We got to that a few posts later.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:51 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by frankinvette
I was a motorcycle (traffic) cop for almost three years, a long time ago. I had two jobs, investigate traffic accidents and write tickets. Regarding speeding tickets I would allow a 10mph cushion, my choice. Understand there is no mandatory cushion, if an officer wants to write you for 5mph he can, you are speeding. I didn't like having to spend my days off in traffic court so I kept it at 10mph, most know they are speeding above that number. Writing this ticket doesn't make him a bad cop, maybe an *** but most people receiving a ticket think the cops an ***. Yes if I saw a corvette or muscle car I would follow, lets face it people don't buy corvettes to drive in the right lane at 55.
I to have run in to less than friendly cops, but its hard to argue, if your in the wrong, best to be polite and honest and hope for the best.
One last comment, I very seldom pulled more than one car over at a time, usually the last one, for me it was a matter of safety (easier to get one car to the shoulder than two).
Keep in mind Law Enforcement is a difficult job especially in these times.
Just like generalizing about cops is wrong, so too is this statement about Corvette owners.

I get zero thrill doing 5, 10, 15 over in the "fast" lane waiting for an undercover LEO to admire my Torch Red. Track time is speed time.

If you routinely use speed as your margin of error in arriving on time, you will buy a fat ticket to the policemans ball at some point.

Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 PM
turbota
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I would absolutely fight that. Especially if you have a video of someone in from of you going the same speed. 6 MPH over the limit is a joke.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:47 PM
fsvoboda
Melting Slicks

Received 795 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
In Metro Detroit they are not.

We have cars on the road that are barely functional. I see cars without by bumpers, burned out lights, and such daily.

Signals here are a "suggestion" based on the usage.

In Metro Detroit it's the wild west basically.
Not to mention that the closer you get to Detroit on the expressways, the faster traffic seems to move.

Old 02-18-2017, 06:24 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by turbota
I would absolutely fight that. Especially if you have a video of someone in from of you going the same speed. 6 MPH over the limit is a joke.
He may not want to do that. What if the video shows him following the other vehicle such that he could be charged with tailgating ? Doh !
Old 02-19-2017, 05:06 PM
Zappa
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Right

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
That sucks. I've never had a cop target me for the corvette. I was under the impression that they only ever pulled over a corvette to check it out.
Hahahahah .......I wish. Zappa
Old 02-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Zappa
Instructor

Default Good officer

Originally Posted by Renfield
Just like generalizing about cops is wrong, so too is this statement about Corvette owners.

I get zero thrill doing 5, 10, 15 over in the "fast" lane waiting for an undercover LEO to admire my Torch Red. Track time is speed time.

If you routinely use speed as your margin of error in arriving on time, you will buy a fat ticket to the policemans ball at some point.

I think the officer sounds like one of the good ones...and lucky for me most of the ones where I live are about of the same mind....keep up the good work......Zappa
Old 02-19-2017, 05:26 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Zappa, were you outside the evack area for the spillway ? Feather River area is gorgeous.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:35 PM
Zappa
Instructor

Default 2600 feet above

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
Zappa, were you outside the evack area for the spillway ? Feather River area is gorgeous.
Thanks...I love it here as well.....nice Vette roads,decent police,lots of water and the list goes on and on.....No evacuation for me....I'm at 2600 feet,way above the 50 foot wave of water that they perdited if our dam would have breached....thanks for the thought.....Zappa
Old 02-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Zappa
Instructor

Atvbob
I'm with you....you have made good points addressing reasons to get out of tickets....I hope I speak for the bigger part of CF readers.....and I thank you for the insight from a professional point of view......I see this thread turning into a pisssing match{for lack of better words} might I suggest .......not even addressing the Ludacris ones .....I can only imagine what you put up with out in the field....Zappa
Old 02-19-2017, 07:01 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zappa
Atvbob
I'm with you....you have made good points addressing reasons to get out of tickets....I hope I speak for the bigger part of CF readers.....and I thank you for the insight from a professional point of view......I see this thread turning into a pisssing match{for lack of better words} might I suggest .......not even addressing the Ludacris ones .....I can only imagine what you put up with out in the field....Zappa
If you called that discussion a pissing match, then I'm sorry (seriously). It was nothing but a discussion.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (02-19-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Zappa
I think the officer sounds like one of the good ones...and lucky for me most of the ones where I live are about of the same mind....keep up the good work......Zappa
When I lived in L.A., I felt the same as you about the police and sheriff. Good folks doing a very difficult job. If you showed respect, you got it back in kind. And those were Chief Daryl Gates Lap Dogs!!

In SC, it is a whole different ball game. Getting pulled over here is about like being dropped off at Parris Island. You are a maggot.

I can only imagine what it's like here for a person of color.

Someone with a badge, a gun and an attitude (as well as a "throw down" weapon under the seat ) can ruin your whole day.

will add that my day in traffic school, taught by a veteran Burbank P.D. officer, was fantastic. I learned more in those eight hours than in a whole semester of H.S. driver's ed. All of it aimed at making me less likely to get officer neck vein's attention.

If FL offers that option, I highly recommend it.

Another great resource is a book called "The Speeders Guide To Avoiding Tickets" by a 20 year veteran LEO. His name escapes me, but very good read.

Zappa (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:06 AM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,573 Likes on 1,644 Posts

State trooper strolls up to the driver's window after pulling over a brand new Corvette. He leans into the window, smiles, and says, "I've been waiting for you all day". The driver replies, "Well, I got here as fast as I could"...
The following 5 users liked this post by LIE2ME:
gwalsh88 (02-20-2017), Lavender (08-17-2017), OzarkCorvetteGuy (02-20-2017), sunsalem (02-20-2017), Zappa (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:35 AM
OzarkCorvetteGuy
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LIE2ME
State trooper strolls up to the driver's window after pulling over a brand new Corvette. He leans into the window, smiles, and says, "I've been waiting for you all day". The driver replies, "Well, I got here as fast as I could"...
THAT MADE ME LAUGH! Thanks

This thread has really taken off and it's posed some thought provoking.
First, yes we shouldn't stereotype type but we all know that happens.
And I got to thinking...(dangerous but it still happens even at my age) if I were a LEO would I impose a Corvette tax?! Or you can change the name to a Porsche tax or whatever. I'm required to write xxx number tickets a month. I see my alter ego of me tooling along in my lil Subaru going 6 mph over the limit who do I pull over?? Do I impose a Corvette tax on the guy who has probably punched it a few times that he's never been caught...or do I ticket the old veteran who hardly ever speeds much?!
Old 02-20-2017, 10:18 AM
Bosscobra
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
There isn't a radar detector on the planet or any other planet that will protect you from "instant on" radar.

Anyone who thinks differently really should put down that crack pipe!
That's why you should use the Waze app in conjunction, go into a fight with a gun and a knife.

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-20-2017, 01:44 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Renfield
Another great resource is a book called "The Speeders Guide To Avoiding Tickets" by a 20 year veteran LEO. His name escapes me, but very good read.

Available from Amazon:

Renfield (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Available from Amazon:

Nice find. Thanks! I still have the paperback around here somewhere. It was written in the 90's but the advice is timeless and well told.

Essential reading for drivers in all lanes.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Ramler
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffthunbird
That sucks. I've never had a cop target me for the corvette. I was under the impression that they only ever pulled over a corvette to check it out.
Had one pull me over in Idaho. There were 5 of us running in a pack and we WERE speeding by quite a bit. He was friendly and so was I so I asked why he pulled me over and let the other 4 go. He replied "I didn't want to look at their cars". We talked for a couple of minutes, he gave me a verbal warning and said "have a nice trip".

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax