Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I think the worst part of your day is that your Vette got wet in the parking garage!
The following users liked this post:
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:36 AM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by mtaylor
while 6mi over is a bit of BS, you probably talked yourself into the ticket with "the other guy was going faster"
yup !
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeyTX:
AdventurePoser (02-10-2017), gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:44 AM
USAF
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Hire the local ticket doctor.

You'll pay the fine but no points

USAF
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 07:57 AM
Former USMC
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 59 Posts

To the OP,

I think I solved your problem. It's not the fact you were traveling slightly over the speed limit, it was the "tailgating" that got the LEO's attention.

A few months back, I was traveling on 101 heading to San Francisco. The speed limit was 70. I was traveling at 75 and NO, I was not in Eco Mode.

I moved over to the the fast lane to pass a slower moving vehicle and a VW Golf/Jetta came up and rode my tail until I could get around the slower moving vehicle. The radar detector lite up - Ka band alert! The CHP was moving in the opposite direction. I kept my eye on him and as we passed. He "lit" 'em up. I thought 5 over - you've got to be kidding me. I passed the slower moving car and moved over to the slow lane. The VW stayed in the fast lane, but did not pass me...at this time, the CHP was on his tail lights flashing. He pulled the VW over and not me.

My assumption is simple - it was the tailgating...and not the speed. I believe LEO think tailgating is more dangerous than 5 MPH over the speed limit.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Semper Fi
The following 3 users liked this post by Former USMC:
Foosh (02-10-2017), gwalsh88 (02-10-2017), kenownr (02-16-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

The first group I cam blame for this type of ticket is our worthless, spineless elected representatives who enact pathetically low speed limits to generate revenue. The second group I blame is the cops who ought to know better than write a less than ten over ticket. The third group to blame are drivers who drive hot, attention grabbing cars WITHOUT using a radar detector and WAZE or not having one of those black stickers with the blue stripe on their cars.

Just upgraded ine of my V1 units and drove from VB to northern NH and back, 1,552 miles, and they never missed a beat (or a cop). With the cops having all this new technology to catch you and generate revenue for their jurisdictions, it is up to drivers to protect themselves.

First, write to their elected representatives to change obsolete laws, second understand the cops did not make the laws, they get paid to drive around bothering non-crimnal people for 6mph over a limit. Third, as a driver YOU should take the offensive and protect yourself with every electronic device to avoid being nabbed.

Keep in mind than a vast number of RADAR, VASCAR, and LIDAR units are purchased for the po-po by the insurance companies that froth at the mouth at the thought of the cops writing more tickets which will allow them to significantly increase their rates to you because a driver who goes 6mph is apparently a real danger.

While many news channels tell us a bunch of BS about terrorists and the threat, most motorists are far more afraid of the police. Remember the Boy Scout rule (former scout and scoutmaster) which is BE PREPARED.

Last edited by vbdenny; 02-10-2017 at 08:07 AM. Reason: Sp
The following 3 users liked this post by vbdenny:
alimustafa23 (02-10-2017), gwalsh88 (02-10-2017), sunsalem (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:04 AM
LoganExplosion
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 112 Posts

Wow. 6 over?! Crazy. Unlikely that you "talked yourself into it". The cop was out writing tickets. NOT checking paperwork or listening to excuses. Just wrote you one and off to the next.
For anything under 10MPH over or silly infractions (window tint, tag covers, etc) I'm always sure to mention that it'll be a "wall hanger" and thank them for an outstanding job protecting the city from crime. (they love that)
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Yeah, the Revenuers get ya. Love to reach in and empty the wallets of tourists, and locals, coming out of that airport. If you had no recent violation you can do the Comedy Class on-line traffic school and your insurance won't know and points erased - just pay the tuition and fine. If you got recent violations then the Ticket Doctor is the best bet.

I suggest a Max-360 detector be your next mod. And Waze helps.

Last edited by Flame Red; 02-10-2017 at 08:10 AM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:16 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Happened to me on a 2 lane. I was following a semi in a sting of cars maybe 6 of us. Cop coming the opposite way turns around and pulls me over. its a 55 and he says I am going 60. I asked how about the semi? He says I got you. Boy I was hot and probably said things that he let go. One thing I said was yea you pulled over the guy in the Cadillac.

End of the deal he hands me the ticket and says that will be $89. I instinctivly said do you take a credit card because some counties here in Ohio do. He said no not is this county. I shot back officer I am sorry I gave you grief, if I realized it was $89 that does not bother me at all that is pocket change. Then I said I bet my Cadi cost more then your house....... he turned and walked away. Probably snagged the next Cadi he saw.

Regarding insurance dont worry. They see the 61 in a 55 and know its chicken chit. Pay the ticket and move on.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:38 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Hi, as I said in my resent threads on a similar subject....cops are mean that's why no one likes them.
Go do Police work and stop real criminals...love ya!

Last edited by 2fastnow; 02-12-2017 at 10:06 AM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 08:41 AM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

Personally....I wouldn't fight it as you WERE speeding in a judges eyes. I'd take an online defensive driving course and they will dismiss it, if in fact it's your first speeding ticket in 3 years....my 2 cents
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:26 AM
Renfield
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by itaylorm
wow at 6 miles of the speed limit the radar is hardly accurate enough. I understand you can challenge based upon the radar not being tested on time.

Hopefully the insurance will let it go without raising rates based upon 14 years without a ticket
Who said anything about RADAR?!?

OP doesn't know how long officer neck vein was following.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:43 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

They have to be stationary for radar to work. If radar wasn't used you can fight it with the judge. most of the time the cop never shows up at court so the judge dissmisses case in your favor (NY).
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:46 AM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by berk4422
Sorry for your trouble. Hire an attorney and get it thrown out, no impact to your insurance. Last time I got a ticket it was embarrassingly 20 over. I got an attorney and by his request I sent him a signed blank check. I also let him know I hadn't had a ticket or accident in over 15 years. Case dismissed for less than $300...

Edit: make sure the attorney resides/regularly practices in the county you received the ticket.
Good advice!

Originally Posted by hangman
To the OP, I would find a way to dismiss the ticket so your insurance won't increase.

As mentioned, in Texas the cop has to appear in court to defend the ticket. In addition to that there are multiple legal ways to dismiss a ticket in Texas.

1: Ask the judge for a deferment. Everyone is allowed a deferment on a traffic violation. The rule is that you do not get another ticket in 90 days and the original ticket is dismissed. If you do get a ticket within 90 days, the first ticket is on record but you could request deferment for the second ticket. You do have to pay court fees.

2: Ask for defensive driving to dismiss the ticket. Everyone is allowed one time per year to take a defensive driving class to dismiss a ticket. You have to pay court fees and defensive driving class fee.

3: Change your court date. You are allowed to change your court date up to 3 times. The thought here is that you push the court date out so far in the future that the cop doesn't show. Also, all changed court dates are scheduled for night court most of the time so that increases your odds that the cop does not show. Your ticket will most likely get dismissed.

I usually request the court date change first, then if the cop shows up, you can still request the judge for a defensive driving course to dismiss the ticket. Added benefit is that the course also applies for a discount with the insurance company as well. Kills two bird with one stone.
This sounds like advice from someone who knows the system.

Don't get in a hurry and pay the ticket, you will be receiving cards in the mail, within the next few days from attorneys that specialize in these matters.

Find one that you comfortable with, and forget about it. They are looking to start a relationship with you.
Some may ask you to pay upfront, others will probably have other payment options.
Some will go in and reset the court date until the officer does not show up and it will be dismissed. Or they may use the when was the radar gun last examined and calibrated gimmick. They've all gotten multiple options to get this dismissed.
A friend of mine, a realtor drives like an absolute idiot, gets tickets all the time, has used the same attorney, and hasn't paid a fine in six or seven years.
Our state has a very friendly relationship with our attorneys.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
They have to be stationary for radar to work. If radar wasn't used you can fight it with the judge. most of the time the cop never shows up at court so the judge dissmisses case in your favor (NY).
1. Wrong about radar.
It works stationary, following or in other direction.

2. Wrong about showing up.
The court schedules multiple similar cases for a given cop so they do show up. It's not about one speeding ticket.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 02-10-2017 at 10:08 AM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 09:57 AM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by gwalsh88
it did not work for me...believe me I tried.
There is a FREE app from ONSTAR that will allow you to open your doors from your cell phone.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:05 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly.s
I got one for doing 27 in a 25 zone. I got another for doing 55 over in a 55 zone. I guess they even out in time.
I thought I miss read the second one at first.
Sir did you know you were doing double the posted speed limit?
Why yes ossifer I did, I did know, and I was only in second gear! 😇
Old 02-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,667 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Former USMC
To the OP,

I think I solved your problem. It's not the fact you were traveling slightly over the speed limit, it was the "tailgating" that got the LEO's attention.

A few months back, I was traveling on 101 heading to San Francisco. The speed limit was 70. I was traveling at 75 and NO, I was not in Eco Mode.

I moved over to the the fast lane to pass a slower moving vehicle and a VW Golf/Jetta came up and rode my tail until I could get around the slower moving vehicle. The radar detector lite up - Ka band alert! The CHP was moving in the opposite direction. I kept my eye on him and as we passed. He "lit" 'em up. I thought 5 over - you've got to be kidding me. I passed the slower moving car and moved over to the slow lane. The VW stayed in the fast lane, but did not pass me...at this time, the CHP was on his tail lights flashing. He pulled the VW over and not me.

My assumption is simple - it was the tailgating...and not the speed. I believe LEO think tailgating is more dangerous than 5 MPH over the speed limit.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Semper Fi
Thanks, this story makes my day. I would love to see concerted campaigns targeting the type of tailgating you described above, which is aggressive driving.

Bravo to the CHP in that case!

Last edited by Foosh; 02-10-2017 at 11:12 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax

Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
Radar will work moving or stopped. LIDAR (laser) must be stationay to operate. You first line of defensive driving is always (as a previous poster so accurately pointed out) is Situational Awareness. If you are going over a hill, or around a corner speeding then you deserve what you get.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,110 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by owc6
Wow, what a bad day!

First would take that to court and throw your self on it's mercy; you have nothing to lose, IMO. Often judges will take into consideration your record, and many will reduce or throw out the charge for drivers with a clean record for a long time, which can reduce overall ticket cost, points and subsequent insurance costs.

As far as opening a trunk with a fob inside, it rarely happens. The antennas are highly directional, so it's looking for a signal from a fob OUTSIDE the car, not inside. Even an inch inside the car is often too much.

Some Judges don't want any violators brought before them with speeding tickets under 10 mph of the posted speed limit. Since you have a good driving record you may get lucky.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM
JC 2004
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry about your ticket but a couple of thoughts...

Perhaps because of your day you were riding a little close to the Kia which is what got the officers attention. (Think we've all been there)

Then the why me and not him convinced the officer that you were trying to tailgate the other car to move over.

Again only guesses.

I would fight the ticket because in all likelihood it will be either tossed or downgraded to a no points ticket. Also I would not bring up the dash cam because it just proves you were speeding in all probability.

Last edited by JC 2004; 02-10-2017 at 10:35 AM.
gwalsh88 (02-10-2017)

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket for 6MPH over speed limit-Vette tax