Seriously, why not just drive it? - Page 3 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously, why not just drive it?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #41
Joe_Omega
Junior Member
 
Joe_Omega's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Apopka Florida
Posts: 14
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default

To tame this quote up a bit for the forum... "Not driving your car is like not sleeping with your girlfriend so the next guy has a better experience" LOL

Having said that though it is a personal choice and I always say live and let live and I don't really care what the other guy is doing.

I will say though that my 2015 C7 with 3500 miles I just picked up a couple weeks ago was awesome to find and saved me a ton in depreciation... I have already put over 1k miles on it in 2 weeks, and I am not slowing down. This car is a blast to drive!!!
Joe_Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:08 AM   #42
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '16
 
roadbike56's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Springs NC
Posts: 2,526
Thanked 304 Times in 253 Posts
Default

Hey, OldGoat, why wait for days when there's no snow? They drive C7s in Baudette on the test track on ice and in the snow don't they. Just kidding, I used to work in Baudette.
When I had a C5, I made it a point to keep the mileage below 60K to keep the value up. When I traded it in, the dealer agreed that the trade-in value would have been affected if I had crossed over the 60K mark, by $500. I was upset with myself. I sacrificed enjoying that car for a lousy $500. I don't put a lot of miles on my C7 only because I don't have the need to drive it. But when I can, I take it out just for the fun of it. I don't care about the mileage because it doesn't make that much of a difference.
roadbike56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roadbike56 For This Useful Post:
Old Goat MN (02-15-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:05 AM   #43
2fastnow
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Posts: 318
Thanked 37 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Getting salt all up in there bothers me. Those make believe under carriage car washes don't do it. I always look up in there when I can. I see those white stains from used cars I've owned...not good.
2fastnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:28 PM   #44
dvilin
CF Senior Member
 
dvilin's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2007
Location: Rochester New York
Posts: 34,877
Thanked 1,138 Times in 874 Posts
Default

For me the Vette is nothing more than a Toy. I drive it when I feel like it. As a matter of fact I spend the Winter in Florida and leave the Vette home in NY. I do not miss it a bit as there are many other things I enjoy just as much as driving my Vette.
As they say different strokes for different folks.
dvilin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #45
Beauty and the Beast
CF Senior Member
 
Beauty and the Beast's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 235
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL- View Post
I live in SoCal and mine has not been driven since late November. I only take mine out on warm clear days as that is why I purchased the car. I have other vehicles for daily use and see no reason of taking out the Z in bad/cold weather just to be in it. If the weather is bad, I drive the truck. If I need to make a quick run to pick something up, I take the SUV. If its nice and warm out and I feel like taking a spirited drive up to Idyllwild or Julian, I take the Z.
How funny, I live in Riverside- However my Brother lives in Menifee!! Iím down there most weekends, if you see my Beast driving around say HI!!

We (Husband and I) were just there Saturday. OMG the roads are the worse Iíve ever seen! Railroad is a nightmare to get up- UGH That was no fun!!!

My Vette is my DD, I drive it every day, unless it is pouring outside. Light rain is doable for me, the Vette handles the rain amazing. I do worry about flooding, and in that case- I have my truck as my backup!
Beauty and the Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:19 PM   #46
Bill B 1
CF Senior Member
 
Bill B 1's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2013
Location: Billings Montana
Posts: 1,440
Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I bought my Vette to drive it and wet weather is only disappointing to me from the standpoint that I'll need to do a thorough washing again. That being said I don't take it out in the winter when the temps are below about 35 and/or if there is snow, it stays tucked away in the garage until I deem the weather and roads to be acceptable. So with that in mind it's usually put to bed around the end of October and stays there till sometime about mid April or so. Even if it warms up earlier the roads usually still have plenty of sand and gravel hanging around that I don't want to risk the possible damage from flying debris.
Bill B 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:45 PM   #47
-HAIRBALL-
CF Senior Member
 
-HAIRBALL-'s Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: Menifee CA
Posts: 447
Thanked 63 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty and the Beast View Post
How funny, I live in Riverside- However my Brother lives in Menifee!! Iím down there most weekends, if you see my Beast driving around say HI!!

We (Husband and I) were just there Saturday. OMG the roads are the worse Iíve ever seen! Railroad is a nightmare to get up- UGH That was no fun!!!

My Vette is my DD, I drive it every day, unless it is pouring outside. Light rain is doable for me, the Vette handles the rain amazing. I do worry about flooding, and in that case- I have my truck as my backup!
That's another reason for me to stay off them for a bit. They don't know how to fill pot holes here so when it rains it just washes the gravel back out and it's like driving down a dirt road with large holes. No thanks, I will wait until the weather improves and they get the roads fixed/cleaned up. I live over in Heritage Lake and there are others that live in the area that are on here as well. I ran into a group from Riverside last year up in Idyllwild. I will keep an eye out....
-HAIRBALL- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #48
Beauty and the Beast
CF Senior Member
 
Beauty and the Beast's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2015
Posts: 235
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by -HAIRBALL- View Post
That's another reason for me to stay off them for a bit. They don't know how to fill pot holes here so when it rains it just washes the gravel back out and it's like driving down a dirt road with large holes. No thanks, I will wait until the weather improves and they get the roads fixed/cleaned up. I live over in Heritage Lake and there are others that live in the area that are on here as well. I ran into a group from Riverside last year up in Idyllwild. I will keep an eye out....
Cool!
My Brother lives off Newport and Murrieta.

Ya, your streets are pretty terrible. My friend busted her rim on Railroad (BMW M5). Stay clear of Newport too, itís pretty bad as well.
Beauty and the Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #49
Old Goat MN
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Newport MN
Posts: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschuyler View Post
Really? So let me get this straight. You just got here in the last week or so. And you've come across people who don't want to drive in inclement weather, specifically,

a) So many people are adamant
b) People should be dismembered for driving it
c) It is pure evil to drive it

and when asked where you read this you say

d) you read all this on some thread about salt you can't name.

So EXACTLY WHO is adamant about not driving it. EXACTLY WHO said people should be dismembered for driving it, and EXACTLY WHO says it's "pure evil" to drive it?

It's a Straw Man argument. Nobody said those things. You just made them up to bolster an argument that does not really exist all that much.
First I would like to that i do not believe you know me well enough to determine if I am making something up. Of course being a retired submarine sailor it is highly likely that I may be telling a sea story.. I did go find it and it is in a thread titled Too cold out. Here is the quote.

"Here's my 2017 Tacoma I bought about 6 weeks ago, pik taken today -- and all that white is SALT. And I just ran it through the carwash a few days ago, which really is rather pointless. Anyone who puts a nice sports car, like a Corvette, through this should be taken out back and shot, and then unceremoniously dismembered and dumped into the nearest body of water. "

Last edited by Old Goat MN; 02-15-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old Goat MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:26 PM   #50
Old Goat MN
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Newport MN
Posts: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

For everyone else I apologize for this thread deteriorating. I am new to the group and had a serious question on thoughts. Maybe mine is wrong maybe not. I will refrain from asking such silly questions that can lead to this type of discussion.
Old Goat MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #51
shakeydog
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 113
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Personally, I don't think you owe anybody an apology for anything you have said in your thread. Tip of the hat to you. And if you ever wear that Vette out, I hope you buy another one, and continue on.
shakeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #52
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 64,716
Thanked 398 Times in 241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mksz51 View Post
Old Goat - some of us have different perspectives and desires - it's as simple as that. I'm happy to not judge you and would just ask the same in return. I have a 2014 I obtained in December 2013 - it's resting comfortably in the garage with 3100 miles on the odometer. Next to it in the garage are a Mercedes SUV and a relatively new Chevy Colorado - both better suited to inclement weather in my mind.
3 years and only 3100 miles, looks to me like you barely drive it, rain or shine.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:01 PM   #53
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor
 
Bill Dearborn's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 1999
Location: Charlotte (formerly Endicott, NY) NC
Posts: 27,101
Thanked 997 Times in 717 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat MN View Post
I will start with a disclaimer that I am a new Vette owner and do not have all of the knowledge that many of you have but I have a question after reading thru multiple posts on winter driving. (ok, maybe more of an opinion than question)

Living in Minnesota definitely has its drawbacks when it comes to winter. Usually a ton of snow (not this year) and it seems like the salt, brine and sand is either feast or famine on the roadways. So why would you not take your car out and enjoy it if the roads are relatively clear and salt free when the temps are above 40? I bought my C7 to fulfill a life long dream of having a true american icon to drive around. I hate having to park it in the garage and with temps this next weekend expected to hit 50 it will be coming out of storage. I understand that there may be some salt residue on the roads but I bought the car to drive and not to look at. I don't have the patience to clean the underside like I have seen some of you do (my hat is off to those of you that polish the underside of your car) nor do I expect to have my car be a 30 year old masterpiece being auctioned off for high $$$. Never driving it unless it is a perfect 70 degrees with no clouds in the sky seems like the same thing as buying the best ATV or side by side and not taking in the mud and water because it will get dirty. I am not trying to tick anyone off with this but curious as to why some are so adamant about it and why some think you should be taken out back and dismembered for doing it?
No issues taking it out when the roads are clear and the temp is below freezing. If I didn't have the Cup2 tires I would run in even lower temps. Just because a tire is a Summer Tire doesn't mean it can't be driven in cold weather unless it is like the Cup2s which can be damaged when driving in temps in the low 20s.

I used to drive my C6Z in below 0 temps with clear roads when I had the GY EMT tires on it. Sure I could spin them easier but I could still drive with traffic and go around corners without slowing below normal levels. Despite all of the nay sayers the car didn't go flying off the road because of the tires losing their grip at 50 degrees which is what most people claimed then.

Bill
Bill Dearborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #54
roadsterboy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 248
Thanked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Default

You mean like threatening to take you to Family Car Court seeking custody of your car for wreckless endangerment, abandonment in the snow and exposure?

Or plan to spray you with holy car water from the temple of the Garage Queen for your blasphemy while condeming you to a life of eternal fuel and brakeline rust!

Others may just look upon you with disgust, distain and disapproval and unleash a twitter tirade saying how unfair you are to the car.
roadsterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roadsterboy For This Useful Post:
Old Goat MN (02-17-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 10:50 PM   #55
MikeyTX
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17
NCM Lifetime Member
 
MikeyTX's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2005
Location: Slowly driving my way around the United States
Posts: 24,312

Thanked 369 Times in 303 Posts
Default

If my parents were still alive, there would have been many a picture of either my Z51 or the Z06 in snow. They lived in IL, just south of the WI state line. I drove my previous gen Corvettes up from TX in the winter without issue.
MikeyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #56
R0NIN
CF Senior Member
 
R0NIN's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 406
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Ive driven my c7 almost everyday for the last 3 years... albeit I'm out west with good weather ... 26k miles
R0NIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:31 PM   #57
themonk
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '09, '12-'13-'14-'15-'16
 
themonk's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary, AB. There's a reason why white was the only color offered on every year Corvette. Proud Canadian German Jamaican!
Posts: 64,716
Thanked 398 Times in 241 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0NIN View Post
Ive driven my c7 almost everyday for the last 3 years... albeit I'm out west with good weather ... 26k miles
you live in the perfect spot to drive a C7. My business partner is heading to Thermal for the BMW driver's course on Friday, should be a great time for him.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:42 PM   #58
shakeydog
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Jul 2012
Location: corpus christi texas
Posts: 113
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadsterboy View Post
You mean like threatening to take you to Family Car Court seeking custody of your car for wreckless endangerment, abandonment in the snow and exposure?

Or plan to spray you with holy car water from the temple of the Garage Queen for your blasphemy while condeming you to a life of eternal fuel and brakeline rust!

Others may just look upon you with disgust, distain and disapproval and unleash a twitter tirade saying how unfair you are to the car.
This! That's some funny stuff.
shakeydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 PM   #59
StArrow68
CF Senior Member
 
StArrow68's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2001
Location: Alamo CA
Posts: 2,363
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

My '16 Stingray is my 2nd DD Corvette and replaced my '02 that also did duty as a track car for 5 of its 13 years and 142k miles. Admittedly I don't deal with snow or salt but driving the C7 is just too much fun to let it sit. Enjoy what you drive.
StArrow68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:04 AM   #60
pickleseimer
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16
 
pickleseimer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Olmsted Falls Ohio
Posts: 1,202
Thanked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonsbiz74 View Post
Here in Cleveland during the winter they salt the roads so heavily that it eats away at the roads regardless if its asphalt or cement. If it eats away at the road like that imagine what it does to the soft metal, painted pieces and clear coat on all our cars. It's definitely all personal opinion. If I can I would rather save it for the nicer days when I can drop the top, go fast and enjoy the sun. I have a truck that has AWD and an AWD sedan that work much better in the snow than a RWD roadster can handle. Driving down a Cleveland road in the winter is also a game of "Dodge the 2 foot deep Pothole" which reeks havoc on rims and tires. This year I had to replace a 700$ rim on my wife BMW due to a pothole bending the rim beyond repair....problem is she never saw it because of the slush on the road. Again, subjective but I prefer to leave the Vette until the weather breaks...Oh and I have a little OCD about keeping my cars clean. My neighbors (and wife) all think I'm crazy because I wash my truck and her car just about every week. Stay safe my friends and we can all agree on this, we all love our cars .
Amen, brother. This weekend looking nice (sunny, low 60s) so one of the fun cars may just come out. But I'll be watching that road surface a bit more closely.....
pickleseimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • Seriously, why not just drive it?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Tire? From new owner (as of next week) funz06 C7 Z06 Discussion 4 04-17-2015 12:30 PM
    Winter Car Care Tips - Salt Removal DetailersDomain Car Care Discussion 3 02-25-2015 07:51 AM
    Driving your Vette in December Part XXXXVII! Mopar Jimmy Great Lakes 26 12-16-2013 12:58 AM
    Salt water vs. chlorine pools neece Off Topic 29 03-15-2012 01:35 AM
    One place these cars will rust FELNGR8 C4 General Discussion 10 08-03-2005 10:22 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 PM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    What's your question?
    Send