What does the Plant closure really mean for 2018 model year? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion


C7 General Discussion
General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does the Plant closure really mean for 2018 model year?

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #1
MSG C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
MSG C5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,855
Thanked 241 Times in 196 Posts
Default What does the Plant closure really mean for 2018 model year?

Anyone think the C7 will receive a major refresh as a result of the plant shutdown and new "paint" facility for the 2018 model year?

I know there are multiple speculation threads about the ZR1 and mid-engine "Zora", however do you think all current C7 models; Stingray, Grand Sport, and Z06 will receive some kind of performance bump or cosmetic tweaks?
MSG C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:09 AM   #2
Zymurgy
Moderator
Support Corvetteforum!
 
Zymurgy's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: DFW Area TX
Posts: 17,786
Thanked 968 Times in 501 Posts
Default

"Major refresh". No.

"Cosmetic tweaks". Maybe.
Zymurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
george vee
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
C7 of the Month Finalist 2015
 
george vee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2009
Location: Wurtsboro NY
Posts: 5,687
Thanked 171 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Probably the mid engine and I think it will be a Caddy
george vee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 AM   #4
Maxie2U
CF Senior Member
 
Maxie2U's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2015
Posts: 1,869
Thanked 471 Times in 297 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by george vee View Post
Probably the mid engine and I think it will be a Caddy
Seriously, who the hell would buy a mid-engine caddy
Maxie2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
TBIRD57
CF Senior Member
 
TBIRD57's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,730
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default not that caddy thing again!

how many more of these failed caddy sports cars is GM going to try yet again! caddy should be focused on getting their top of the line car competitive instead- genesis g90 already lapped it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by george vee View Post
Probably the mid engine and I think it will be a Caddy
TBIRD57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TBIRD57 For This Useful Post:
tractman (02-17-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 03:25 AM   #6
BrunoTheMellow
CF Senior Member
 
BrunoTheMellow's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2015
Posts: 368
Thanked 54 Times in 38 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBIRD57 View Post
how many more of these failed caddy sports cars is GM going to try yet again! caddy should be focused on getting their top of the line car competitive instead- genesis g90 already lapped it.
well considering the ATS-V is faster than the c63 and the M3/M4 and said to be the best feeling car in the segment, i'd say Cadillac is doing well with that. CTS-V is gorgeous and whoops most of the competition too but the price is high.
BrunoTheMellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 05:28 AM   #7
proexpert
CF Senior Member
 
proexpert's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2002
Location: Harrisburg PA
Posts: 989
Thanked 99 Times in 74 Posts
Default

It means new assembly robots, more efficiency, better overall quality, better panel fit, and eventually better paint finish.
proexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:21 AM   #8
JerryU
'14, Z51, M7, Loc. SC
Support Corvetteforum!
 
JerryU's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2007
Posts: 6,185
Thanked 725 Times in 565 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by george vee View Post
Probably the mid engine and I think it will be a Caddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie2U View Post
Seriously, who the hell would buy a mid-engine caddy
Since a poster who appeared to be in the know, said the mid engine Vette was moved to the Cadillac engineers a year ago-think that is logical.

This is my speculation:
First GM needs to go to a more energy efficient mid engine to meet the very high corporate average MPG that will be imposed in the near future. It will probably be a smaller displacement, more efficient, 4 valve per cylinder, double overhead cam engine. The mid engine is needed since you can't fit that tall engine in a low hood front engine Vette!

To get the mid engine car off the ground they have picked Caddy to be the first to introduce at a low volume/high price. Not sure what engine, perhaps the current twin turbo Caddy V6 but quite probably NOT a high performance Z06 hp level. Most Caddy owners don't need that power and the car can have more insulation from road noise, a very high end sound system option and all the extras some Vette owners have expressed as needed. However the Caddy can sell for $125,000 to $150,000 price! Oh they will hype the lower polar moment of inertia as the reason they are going to a mid engine and although true there are more corporate financial reasons, IMO.

A year or two later the Vette version will be introduced with it's V6, They will also offer a light weight (eliminate all that sound insulation and no fancy sound system options, etc) high performance a dual turbo version with Z06 power levels! Note the 2017 mid engine Acura NSX 3.5 Liter twin-turbo V-6 engine produces 500 hp!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-13-2017 at 09:38 AM.
JerryU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #9
Stangslayer
CF Senior Member
 
Stangslayer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: West Upton Massachusetts
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Leaked by GM insider.
C8 Mid-Engine
Quad Turbo
Boxer 4 Hybrid
All Wheel Drive
A12
That about should do it.
MSRP - $399,999
Stangslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:46 AM   #10
VettinFan
CF Senior Member
 
VettinFan's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,529
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Those that know don't talk....Those that talk, don't know.
VettinFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VettinFan For This Useful Post:
Boiler_81 (02-17-2017), joeybsyc (02-18-2017), l2vette (02-13-2017), tractman (02-17-2017), ZL-1 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #11
roadbike56
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '16
 
roadbike56's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2011
Location: Holly Springs NC
Posts: 2,587
Thanked 324 Times in 271 Posts
Default

Meanwhile, back to the original question.
Yes, I think the C7 will receive a facelift. As for a HP increase, depends on the CAFE situation and how will an LT1 replacement meet the current MPG requirements. However, if the CAFE won't be affected, yes I think an HP increase is in order. That 500HP mark has to be tempting to the Corvette marketeers.
Here's something else to consider. Will the three month shutdown, permit revisions to the C7 to allow the A10 to be introduced to replace the A8. Something to think about.
roadbike56 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to roadbike56 For This Useful Post:
MSG C5 (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 08:07 AM   #12
MSG C5
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
Thread Starter
 
MSG C5's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 2008
Posts: 12,855
Thanked 241 Times in 196 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by proexpert View Post
It means new assembly robots, more efficiency, better overall quality, better panel fit, and eventually better paint finish.
Curious if these improvements will be immediately noticeable or just like anything new, they need to work out the bugs in the process first.
MSG C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #13
Red-C6 of Jax
CF Senior Member
 
Red-C6 of Jax's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: Jacksonville FL
Posts: 2,199
Thanked 256 Times in 188 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgy View Post
"Major refresh". No.

"Cosmetic tweaks". Maybe.
Maybe some interior refreshments.
Red-C6 of Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red-C6 of Jax For This Useful Post:
LT1 Z51 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 09:24 AM   #14
trivette
CF Senior Member
 
trivette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2004
Location: st paul minnesota
Posts: 1,963
Thanked 47 Times in 37 Posts
Default

A newly styled center armrest-or at least different material- that takes care of the wrinkling issue would be (one would think) a relatively inexpensive interior change that would be welcome. It would definitely cut down on warranty claims.
Even a new paint facility/process will not fix things for owners if the body panels themselves are still wavy. This has been discussed on many threads; even a glass smooth paint job will not hide this. Some cars are better than others. My early '14, fortunately, is quite good, but I've seen others with lots of waves. Seems like this came to light later in production and continues today.
An increase in base car power to 500 HP or so would be nice, but the whole EPA/CAFE/MPG requirements to get there would be expensive to justify. I guess we'll have to wait and see...
trivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #15
Bigredwing
CF Senior Member
 
Bigredwing's Avatar
 
Member Since: Nov 2005
Location: Leonardtown Maryland
Posts: 1,185
Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-C6 of Jax View Post
Maybe some interior refreshments.
Yes! Let me get an Arctic White convertible with a blue interior WITHOUT paying $9000 more (based on MSRP).
Bigredwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 AM   #16
Stangslayer
CF Senior Member
 
Stangslayer's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2014
Location: West Upton Massachusetts
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 23 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VettinFan View Post
Those that know don't talk....Those that talk, don't know.
Ever hear of "satire" or "sarcasm"?
Stangslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #17
jschindler
CF Senior Member
 
jschindler's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2001
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 26,409
Thanked 59 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryU View Post
Since a poster who appeared to be in the know, said the mid engine Vette was moved to the Cadillac engineers a year ago-think that is logical.

This is my speculation:
First GM needs to go to a more energy efficient mid engine to meet the very high corporate average MPG that will be imposed in the near future. It will probably be a smaller displacement, more efficient, 4 valve per cylinder, double overhead cam engine. The mid engine is needed since you can't fit that tall engine in a low hood front engine Vette!

To get the mid engine car off the ground they have picked Caddy to be the first to introduce at a low volume/high price. Not sure what engine, perhaps the current twin turbo Caddy V6 but quite probably NOT a high performance Z06 hp level. Most Caddy owners don't need that power and the car can have more insulation from road noise, a very high end sound system option and all the extras some Vette owners have expressed as needed. However the Caddy can sell for $125,000 to $150,000 price! Oh they will hype the lower polar moment of inertia as the reason they are going to a mid engine and although true there are more corporate financial reasons, IMO.

A year or two later the Vette version will be introduced with it's V6, They will also offer a light weight (eliminate all that sound insulation and no fancy sound system options, etc) high performance a dual turbo version with Z06 power levels! Note the 2017 mid engine Acura NSX 3.5 Liter twin-turbo V-6 engine produces 500 hp!
They cannot possibly sell enough of them to even be a rounding error in their CAFE requirements. it doesn't mean they won't do what you are saying, but that would not be the driver.

What makes Corvettes what they are is that they have a price point that makes them a bargain for what they deliver, and that basically happens in large part by sharing basic powertrain structures with other mass produced vehicles. I think we are agreeing on that.

Because GM has been able to make V8s for their trucks that get as good gas mileage as the Ford Ecoboost turbos, I don't see why GM needs to put a 6 in the Corvette anytime soon.

As an old timer, I'm still drawn to V8s in performance cars.

Last edited by jschindler; 02-17-2017 at 07:39 AM.
jschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 AM   #18
767guy
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2014
Location: Muskoka ontario
Posts: 368
Thanked 45 Times in 40 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG C5 View Post
Curious if these improvements will be immediately noticeable or just like anything new, they need to work out the bugs in the process first.
How about, hopefully, all the problems with Torque Converters and Rear Differentials that warble all solved by the intro of the 2018 model .
767guy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 767guy For This Useful Post:
Strake (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 08:26 AM   #19
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!
 
LT1 Z51's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: Troy & Dearborn Michigan
Posts: 3,328
Thanked 261 Times in 185 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoTheMellow View Post
well considering the ATS-V is faster than the c63 and the M3/M4 and said to be the best feeling car in the segment, i'd say Cadillac is doing well with that. CTS-V is gorgeous and whoops most of the competition too but the price is high.
Agree.

In the latest C&D the ATS finished last due to NVH (Shoulda put the LT1 in the car) and "dated" exterior and interior styling. It won on all chassis numbers, and on price.

So if you don't dislike the Cadillac styling, then it's probably the best car.
LT1 Z51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:39 AM   #20
Larry/car
CF Senior Member
 
Larry/car's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Manheim Pennsylvania
Posts: 9,553
Thanked 387 Times in 276 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbike56 View Post
Meanwhile, back to the original question.
Yes, I think the C7 will receive a facelift. As for a HP increase, depends on the CAFE situation and how will an LT1 replacement meet the current MPG requirements. However, if the CAFE won't be affected, yes I think an HP increase is in order. That 500HP mark has to be tempting to the Corvette marketeers.
Here's something else to consider. Will the three month shutdown, permit revisions to the C7 to allow the A10 to be introduced to replace the A8. Something to think about.
I can't think of a single reason to want a ten speed automatic. The darn thing will be shifting all the time actually hindering performance. If the transmission is in tenth gear and the demand now requires first, the transmission has to dump nine gears to get into first. We will see!
Larry/car is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • What does the Plant closure really mean for 2018 model year?
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    HP increase 2018? C7gs812 C7 General Discussion 53 03-17-2017 04:57 PM
    Who thinks the 2018 changes will be significant? MSG C5 C7 General Discussion 38 02-20-2017 10:56 PM
    Corvette Plant shutdown Kyflyer C7 Z06 Discussion 17 02-14-2017 08:08 AM
    My Plant Shutdown Story - CONFIRMED - A Summer Shut Down Planned RickConti@Coughlin C7 General Discussion 37 02-04-2017 02:48 PM
    Corvette Plant Officially Announces Summer/Fall Shut Down jagamajajaran C7 General Discussion 14 01-30-2017 04:49 PM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.