Corvette Owner Busted by GoPro for Insurance Fraud

Old 02-13-2017, 09:40 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Here you go. If I broke the rules I apologize in advance:

http://www.chizmarklarson.com/Motorsports.5.htm
This is all I see on that page that's relevant.

On-Track Coverage to Cover Vehicle Against Physical Damage Caused by an Accident While in Motion Under Own Power and/or While the Race or Practice is Deemed in Progress* Agreed Value up to $1,000,000 per vechicle.

And this under it:

*Limited to Certain Type of Vehicle and League

I bet it's VERY limited and VERY costly.

I still saw nothing about drag strip coverage specifically.
Old 02-13-2017, 09:48 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

I found this, but I doubt it would cover the type of event this particular car was crashed at.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...insurance.html
Old 02-13-2017, 11:15 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
So you disagree, care to elaborate?

People that pay to use a track are paying for a privilege to use a stretch of asphalt that is supposed to be safer than a public road. If the venue that owns the track isn't keeping it maintained or clean, I believe there is cause for litigation to determine the level of accountability the track shares in any accident that ensues.

It may very well be that they have limits of liability drivers much sign and agree to but generally those are voided where neglect can be established. I'd certainly consider not cleaning the track after another patron leaks fluids as preventable and subsequently neglectful.
The following users liked this post:
LT1 Z51 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:28 PM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

You'll have to admit that it sounded great right up until the impact. A good note seems that these can and will get away from you so it pays to be careful
Old 02-14-2017, 02:01 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Someone should get an insurance provider to join the forum and post here to tell us what they really cover. Then see if anyone can understand what it means. You go to the track, sign your life away, have fun. If something happens its on you even if someone else caused it. Can't be any other way and have the tracks survive. Insurance for racing isn't feasible.
The following users liked this post:
Gxpz06 (02-14-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 07:24 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by themonk
I hope he's a member in here so he can read my post laughing at his dumb ***, not because he's racing but because he's so f'kn stupid that while committing a crime he actually posted it on Youtube, complete moron and I'm so happy that his car is totaled.
To be fair to the driver of the car, he didn't have anything to do with the video. It was shot by a production company and he tried suing them for posting it. Still, I'm glad he got caught.

Last edited by Mister Big; 02-14-2017 at 07:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:50 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Someone should get an insurance provider to join the forum and post here to tell us what they really cover. Then see if anyone can understand what it means. You go to the track, sign your life away, have fun. If something happens its on you even if someone else caused it. Can't be any other way and have the tracks survive. Insurance for racing isn't feasible.
There is very affordable insurance out there for track days. I have used it several times. For drag racing, not so much.

The guy who wrecked his Corvette, yeah he just wanted to have fun at the strip and as they say "pay to play". Where he really messed up was lying to his insurance company that he wrecked his car on a highway. It's called fraud.

He is really lucky he just got probation and a fine. Of course he is out the cost of his car and I am sure he will have a very hard time getting an insurance company to cover him in the future but he learned a lesson.

And especially don't lie when you post Go Pro footage on the Internet.

Last edited by thill444; 02-14-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:51 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mister Big
To be fair to the driver of the car, he didn't post the video. It was done by a production company and he tried suing them for posting it. Still and idiot, though, for trying to get away with it. Glad he got caught.
How did his Go Pro video go public though?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:52 AM
GR Jay
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Or you could do something really out of the box and ask your agent. It's really not rocket science. Most people are just too lazy to spend 10 minutes reading the policy.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:59 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by thill444
How did his Go Pro video go public though?
Who knows, but it wasn't a Phi Beta Kappa move on his part if he gave the footage to the production company.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:05 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by GR Jay
Or you could do something really out of the box and ask your agent. It's really not rocket science. Most people are just too lazy to spend 10 minutes reading the policy.
We all know this guy knew for a fact that his insurance did not cover drag strip racing. Otherwise he would not have blatantly lied to the insurance company that he wrecked it on a public street.

Anyone with half a brain knows your normal Geico car insurance is not going to cover you at the drag strip. The guy decided to do it anyway and the burden to cover it is on him should he wreck.

It's a risk you take when you take your street car to the track.

Insurance companies are smart. If there was money to be made insuring street cars at the drag strip they would offer it. I suspect they don't offer it because they have done the math and this is high risk and low reward.
Old 02-14-2017, 08:29 AM
DogTag-C7R
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
I think you re mistaken !!! Texas Mile is not what a conventional drag strip event ;;

Ironically the drag strip in general (,not what main subject of this thread is about ) is the safest form of driving that ever and will ever exist ; I'll list my opinion based on 500 drag passes and millions of highway driving ( I'm only 35 years of age) this order in safest to least ; insurances companies can say they follow wtv law but they only follow what will make them the most money

1) ihra or nhra drag strip
2) driving to work
3) driving to work on inclement weather
4) road coarse events or roll racing at a drag strip
5) 3 honk racing on public roads in "Mexico "
why am I mistaken? There are numerous "exotic" insurance policies.....here's one....it covered Texas mile and Friday night drags in my area....

http://www.naughtoninsurance.com/serv_motorsport.html
Old 02-14-2017, 08:39 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

People that pay to use a track are paying for a privilege to use a stretch of asphalt that is supposed to be safer than a public road. If the venue that owns the track isn't keeping it maintained or clean, I believe there is cause for litigation to determine the level of accountability the track shares in any accident that ensues.

It may very well be that they have limits of liability drivers much sign and agree to but generally those are voided where neglect can be established. I'd certainly consider not cleaning the track after another patron leaks fluids as preventable and subsequently neglectful.
You must live in a pretty little boxed up world.

You go racing, ALL bets are off. You take your own safety in YOUR hands. You expect the track operators to check the entire track after every pass? No one does that except the NHRA and they bring their own safety crew with them. Even the NHRA when they hold an event at a track only inspects the track after every pass on the fastest classes of cars.

Local tracks at regular events only check the track if something happens that is obvious like blown engine or lots of smoke or a crash, otherwise they are pushing cars down the track.

Racing isn't riding a bus or plane that someone else is responsible for.

Racing is dangerous, do it at your own risk. But the lawyers of the world will find ways to sue and make a buck off anything. This is partially what's wrong with the country now, no responsibility for your own actions.

This crash was driver error in my opinion.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 02-14-2017 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:51 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

I don't know man, if there is water on the damn track halfway down, I'd argue that is on the track. They have some level of responsibility here.

If it's something like a drop of oil, well that happens.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:00 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
You must live in a pretty little boxed up world.

You go racing, ALL bets are off. You take your own safety in YOUR hands. You expect the track operators to check the entire track after every pass? No one does that except the NHRA and they bring their own safety crew with them. Even the NHRA when they hold an event at a track only inspects the track after every pass on the fastest classes of cars.

Local tracks at regular events only check the track if something happens that is obvious like blown engine or lots of smoke or a crash, otherwise they are pushing cars down the track.

Racing isn't riding a bus or plane that someone else is responsible for.

Racing is dangerous, do it at your own risk. But the lawyers of the world will find ways to sue and make a buck off anything. This is partially what's wrong with the country now, no responsibility for your own actions.

This crash was driver error in my opinion.
Based on your comments in this thread you sound like an insurance adjuster who has never been to a road course.

Every road course I've been to has take safety deadly serious. I've never felt more safe on road than I have on a track.

Engineering and Science will teach you a controlled environment (or experiment) where the conditions are known is always safer (or as we say more predictable) than a random environment where the conditions are constantly changing.

You sound extremely uninformed.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

On another topic..........that was a sweet looking car!!! Loved the blacked out hood carried to the rear. Tough day at the track, hate to see that.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:41 AM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA

You waive that right away when you fill out the drag strip liability form.

Small print....

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Owner Busted by GoPro for Insurance Fraud

Old 02-14-2017, 10:48 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by LT1 Z51
Based on your comments in this thread you sound like an insurance adjuster who has never been to a road course.

Every road course I've been to has take safety deadly serious. I've never felt more safe on road than I have on a track.

Engineering and Science will teach you a controlled environment (or experiment) where the conditions are known is always safer (or as we say more predictable) than a random environment where the conditions are constantly changing.

You sound extremely uninformed.
You'd be half right, I am a insurance adjuster/investigator and also a Porsche Club driving instructor.

Every road course you've been to takes safety "deadly serious"??? I have been to MANY events and the "tech in procedure" at HPDE events is VERY lax. To say they "generally" check the car would be an overstatement. All organizations I run with make you fill out your own tech sheet where YOU had the car inspected. All they do at tech is check the lug nuts, make sure the battery is secure, check your helmet and to assign you a number and the correct run group sticker on the front glass.

You can't put drag racing or the event this guy crashed his car at and a HPDE or road racing event even remotely in the same conversation as they are totally different. In my opinion I have been tech'd MUCH harder at a regular drag strip in a car that ran mid 10's than I have ever been tech'd at any road course event. But like many drag strips a "test and tune" or grudge race Sunday" has zero tech, none.....nada.

When you enter the gates at any race track with the intentions of getting on track it's dangerous, speed kills when you hit a stationary object. Guys die doing HPDE events, 2 at Road Atlanta in the last 5 or so years and there have been at least 10 over the last 6 years or so.

I just can't get over the blame game in life, no one takes the hit for a F up it's always call a lawyer and point the finger away from yourself.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Davids65
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

How much should track insurance cost for a day at the track?
I'm not into the drag strip either.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM
Krystal
Race Director

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Gxpz06
Wtv what's the point of insuring a car if you can't race it and have a bad day ;;; insurance sucks as far as I know you can't pay enough money to get insurance at drag strip !!! If it happen to me I would tell the truth and insist they pay for it *** don't think the guy really deserves since he had to white lie to get what he pays for and in turn has to pay and pay even more

My 2 cents
Your kidding right?

Do you have any idea what car insurance would cost for any car deemed, statistically likely to ever be used in a racing event?

The price of a policy on a Toyota Prius would likely remain just about the same as it is now........but the price on a V8 Pony car or Corvette would sky rocket ........NEEDLESSLY for the rest of us who don't ever take our cars to the track.

There is good reason that insurance doesn't cover you at the track and you are VERY SHORT-SIGHTED for suggesting it should.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Corvette Owner Busted by GoPro for Insurance Fraud