General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Z51 Winter wheels

Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Italianfox
CF Senior Member

Default 2016 Z51 Winter wheels

There are lots of threads about wheels for vettes but most don't show prices. Here's what I'm up to; I am going to bite the bullet and put the new Michelin A/S run flats as I'm done with waiting for warm weather with the OEMs. But I plan to keep the summer tires for summer use. So I need to get some new wheels for the Z-51 but don't want to spend a lot of $$$$. I've looked at tire rack tire and wheel packages and they have some fairly inexpensive choices but I've read posts about $1000 wheels rubbing, etc. Any recommendations?
Italianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Vetteman Jack
Support Corvetteforum!
MO Events Coordinator
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Location: Heart of Missouri Currently Own: 2003 Milestone Edition. Previously Owned: '79, '79, '84, '89, '94, '95, '99 and '00

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,472 Posts

Find someone here on the forum that has upgraded their wheels to an aftermarket set and is willing to sell the OEM wheels. Look in the parts for sale section.
Vetteman Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #3
rangda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianfox View Post
There are lots of threads about wheels for vettes but most don't show prices. Here's what I'm up to; I am going to bite the bullet and put the new Michelin A/S run flats as I'm done with waiting for warm weather with the OEMs. But I plan to keep the summer tires for summer use. So I need to get some new wheels for the Z-51 but don't want to spend a lot of $$$$. I've looked at tire rack tire and wheel packages and they have some fairly inexpensive choices but I've read posts about $1000 wheels rubbing, etc. Any recommendations?
I've bought winter tires for 3 cars from Tire Rack and based on my experience if they tell you that the tires won't rub they won't rub.

I don't have any specific recommendations for rims as I don't have a vette yet (looking to order a GS next month), but generally the vendors don't post prices because they sell below MAP and thus cannot post prices. Custom forged rims are also pretty pricey these days, $1000 per wheel and up. I remember looking at Fikse rims for my 98 M3 and they were ~$500 each.

Finally throwing my 2 cents in about the rubber you put on the rims. I'm one town over from you and in our neck of the woods if you are going to go through the aggravation of swapping tires I'd recommend going with full winter tires instead of A/S. It gets cold enough in January/February here that you'll get better traction in winter tires. All my sports cars have had much better winter traction than my wife's econoboxes due to winter vs. all season tires.
rangda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
vbdenny
CF Senior Member

I have bought 5 sets of winter tires and rims for various vehicles. None have ever rubbed or had any issues. Figure about $2500 a $3000 for a complete set. Myself, I'd spend that on a winter rat instead.
vbdenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Maxpowers
CF Senior Member

I agree with Vetteman Jack. If you can get a used OEM set...Do that. Otherwise check with a forum vendor. Lots of great well priced options.

I went with Cray Spiders. I actually like them better than the OEMs.
Maxpowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 PM   #6
Don C1
CF Senior Member

When buying aftermarkets pay attention to the offsets and make sure the wheels your purchasing are the correct OEM offset. I just learned a lesson the hard and expensive way. I bought a set of Z51 chrome wheels from a reputable vendor. I noticed I was getting some tire rub at the top of my rear fenders only on certain deep dips in the road. I did my homework learning about offsets and it turns out the rear wheels had an offset of +56 and should have been +79. For what ever reason that vendor does not offer but one offset. I went to the manufacturer that distributes the wheels and they do offer 3 offsets. So I bought the +79's so no more rub and now I have 2 +56 wheels I will never be able to unload
Don C1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Don C1 For This Useful Post:
vbdenny (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 09:22 PM   #7
rrsperry
CF Senior Member

Muscle Sport 7 wheels from tire rack in Z51 size, $170 each or so. What's not to like? I'm into my second winter with them.
rrsperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Italianfox
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsperry View Post
Muscle Sport 7 wheels from tire rack in Z51 size, $170 each or so. What's not to like? I'm into my second winter with them.
Yeah I've looked at those. With their tire package you can get all for around 2K. Was a little leery about the low price and Z-51 fit without rubbing, etc
Italianfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 2016 Z51 Winter wheels
  •