Side Skirts help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 07:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,625 Likes on 6,629 Posts

Originally Posted by rjkc5y2k

Any help or suggestions in this area is helpful. Thank you a head of time.
[/B]
This won't be a help but suggest you just hold off getting Starbucks and put that money in a jar to pay off what you like! Your rocker panels will love you for it.

My rocker panels and skirts are 3 years old and look new! I bought them early on because they won a SEMA award and I was having my heavy GM plastic marked by pebbles from those sticky Z51 tires. (I removed that plastic ~6 months after installing when I was sure the LG Motorsports side skirts did the job-they do!) They are also very rugged and will handle the occasional brushing by your passengers (and you) on exit!

Rear Splash Guard Work, Front Not Effective to Protect Rocker Panels- Need Side Skirts.

LG Motorsports CF Side Skirts are Contoured Vertically and Fit is Very Tight

Last edited by JerryU; 02-18-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:21 AM
yellow 04
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ACS Side Skirts

You pay for what you get ACS great quality, excellent fit & customer service
Old 02-18-2017, 03:43 PM
'Merica
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Got my GTX skirts on today. They fit great. I love that they use the oe bolts. I added some 3m auto tape to the rear to really tighten them up without using the included pop rivets.

Old 02-18-2017, 07:18 PM
Bmwmike
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 'Merica
Got my GTX skirts on today. They fit great. I love that they use the oe bolts. I added some 3m auto tape to the rear to really tighten them up without using the included pop rivets.

Hey. What was the cost of these and what company and i find them?
The following users liked this post:
Maxie2U (02-18-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:14 PM
'Merica
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmwmike
Hey. What was the cost of these and what company and i find them?

They were ~$680 shipped through C7 Carbon.
Bmwmike (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:20 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I have been looking at the different side skirts available for the C7 std and Z51. There are numerous manufacturers and prices. The style that I like best so far is LG Motorsports but the price is more that what I want to spend. Next is ACS Zero 1 Style at approximately $500.00. Other manufacturers are Lashway, C7 Carbon, and number of other names that escape me know.

I like the way the ACS fit the body. Some of the other brands are flat and just bolt to the under side of the body. I wish the ACS would extend out further like the LG. My thinking is that would be more efficient stopping the stones from hitting the side of the body. Does anyone know of another manufacturer making side skirts like LG, but at a more reasonable price.

I looked on Amazon and found side skirts similar to ACS at lower price. The manufacturer is ???. Just looked at Amazon and now can't find the company, but the price was $299.00. My question is does anyone know the company and what is the quality of their product.

Any help or suggestions in this area is helpful. Thank you a head of time.
I have the ACS rockers and the distance they extend from the body works very well at stopping the road debris. Any further out and you're going to bump them getting in/out of the car. They're easy to install and so far have done a great job, I'm very happy with them.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:30 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Anybody have these?

https://www.corvettemods.com/C7-Corv...ts_p_9797.html

And whats involved on the install? Any drilling?
Old 02-18-2017, 10:35 PM
Z06 1of38
Drifting

Received 677 Likes on 333 Posts

Caravaggio.
Old 02-19-2017, 12:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PapaLeo67

And whats involved on the install? Any drilling?
Understand that drilling on a new car is a concern for many. However when installing side skirts they are placed in position using OEM bolts at the ends. Therefore you’re drilling very small holes and only into the SMC rocker panel NOT the frame when they are already in position.

The SMC drills like butter. I used small aluminum rivets requiring very small holes. An inexpensive hand rivet gun is all that is needed.

Recall a poster who had used 3M tape reply after seeing how tight mine were attached using rivets to get them to get his to fit tight. When he or a passenger bruses against them when exiting (inevitable) it's also a more secure attachment. FWIW

LG Motorsports CF Side Skirts are Contoured Vertically and Fit is Tight

An inexpensive hand rivet gun is all that is required. I used a stainless fender washer under small aluminum rivets to to spread the load.

There is a small gap between the rocker panel and the aluminum frame. I inserted a scrap piece of metal in the gap when I drilled so I didn't hit the frame. Although, as recommended, I moved the rivet to the outside to have a tight fit (which I do) it is still at the bottom of the rocker panel.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-19-2017 at 12:13 AM.
Rebel Yell (07-03-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 07:46 PM
rjkc5y2k
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thank you

Just want to thank everyone for their input and pictures. Need to save a few more dollars and then make up my mind as to which ones to order. They all look real good. Like the idea of being able to remove the factory rear clear plastic protectors.
PapaLeo67 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 10:52 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Like the idea of being able to remove the factory rear clear plastic protectors.
Wait... What???
Sorry to go off topic, but what are these factory rear clear plastic protectors you speak of??? I just noticed that none of the pics above have that ugly thing that I have on my all AW that looks like its turning yellow.
Are you talking about this? And they come off?

Old 02-21-2017, 10:30 AM
rjkc5y2k
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait... What???
Sorry to go off topic, but what are these factory rear clear plastic protectors you speak of??? I just noticed that none of the pics above have that ugly thing that I have on my all AW that looks like its turning yellow.
Are you talking about this? And they come off?

Yes those are the ones I am talking about. They do come off. You can do goggle search to find some articles on how to remove them.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:44 AM
tunaman
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

C7 Carbon make great products... Have had them on my GS (splitter and skirts), on the wife's '14 (splitter), and on my '16 (splitter and skirts):

I wanted something unusual for the wife's skirts, so I ran across the Stingray skirts while looking at alternatives and installed them:

PapaLeo67 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 10:15 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Yes those are the ones I am talking about. They do come off. You can do goggle search to find some articles on how to remove them.
Well, Im really happy that they come off. They are so thick, I thought they were actual body parts. Thats the one thing I really hate about my car, because they are getting discolored. I didnt even notice them when I bought the car... Now its the first thing I see.

Does anyone know what they are called? I cant seem to find it on google.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:31 PM
PapaLeo67
Instructor

Well, Im really happy that they come off. They are so thick, I thought they were actual body parts. Thats the one thing I really hate about my car, because they are getting discolored. I didnt even notice them when I bought the car... Now its the first thing I see.

Nevermind... Found it! Thank You.
Now I cant wait to get them off and get my skirts
Old 02-22-2017, 02:30 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

If you want to remove the GM heavy plastic protection you should first have side skirts. They will protect the rocker panels from pebbles thrown from the front tires.

This is a picture PDF of how I removed mine. It shows what to do AND what NOT to do.
http://netwelding.com/Rocker_Panel_Film.pdf

Fortunately I only had a problem in a small section along the bottom by pulling it off at the wrong angle. That ~6 inch section took ~30 minutes to remove the adhesive! Do it right and pull at the right angle!

Quick Reply: Side Skirts help