Form and Function - Mishimoto Carbon Fiber Catch Can

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 10:09 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Form and Function - Mishimoto Carbon Fiber Catch Can

Hey Guys,

Nick here from Mishimoto with another exciting project out of our R&D facility! Make sure you head over to the Engineering Blog to learn more about the development of our universal Carbon Fiber Baffled Oil Catch Can!

In the world of aftermarket modification, there are two directions to go in with any upgrade. Form or function. Some might not care if the part looks like a work of art just as long as it performs, and vice versa. That’s an owner’s prerogative, and maybe driving around a box that hits the 300 whp mark and sounds like a grizzly bear is all you need. Other enthusiasts prefer a flashy set of wheels and a few want the best of both worlds, style and efficiency, which isn’t always available. It’s not easy to get that perfect blend. That won’t stop Mishimoto from trying, though. We’re aiming to create a little gray from the black and white of performance against aesthetics all while protecting your engine from blow-by.

The business of defending the intake tract of any engine leans toward the side of function. Catch cans are installed to serve as a reservoir for that murky mix of fuel and oil aiming to infiltrate the intake manifold, and sometimes even mount somewhere out of sight. It’s no surprise that aesthetics doesn’t play a huge role in catch can designs, because as long as they keep your top-end safe, who cares what they look like? Well, we do, and I’m sure we’re not alone.

The main focus for the aesthetics on this catch can is the material. That silky black and gray weave is one of the most sought-after textures in the realm of automotive modifications, so we wanted to combine that with defending the top-end components of your vehicle. Our carbon fiber can is the real deal. We could have easily wrapped any one of our catch can designs in a sheet of carbon, but we wanted to take it to the next level, and so manufactured the can’s bottom from full carbon fiber. This can not only looks the part, but also helps shave a few extra ounces for the weight-conscious racers.

Along with the featherweight body, our engineering team started from the ground up to develop a catch can that not only looks great under the hood, but lives up to its pretty face. For more info on the features and the testing and development of the universal Carbon Fiber Catch Can, make sure to head over to our Engineering Blog! Also keep your eyes peeled on Mishimoto.com and all of our social channels to make sure you get in on the discounted presale price!

-Nick
Old 08-16-2018, 10:47 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

I thought it was determined that these are unnecessary and voids warranty...
Old 08-16-2018, 11:06 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

I like the first picture with the smoke behind the can and the lighting …. It makes me think that if I buy this can, then ill lead a life of high adventure.
Old 08-21-2018, 10:47 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by pbergmann
We actually designed a system to use on the LT1 in our Camaro SS and were able to collect a decent amount of blow-by that could build up carbon on the valves, which these direct injected LT engines are more susceptible to.

As for the warranty, that is generally dependent on the dealer, and can only legally void the warranty if they can prove the aftermarket part is causing an issue. We always make sure never to release a product without extensive testing to ensure that we're only creating improvements for your vehicle, not headaches

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
I like the first picture with the smoke behind the can and the lighting …. It makes me think that if I buy this can, then ill lead a life of high adventure.
That was the idea :P

Also, I wanted to bump this up for you guys to let you know that this catch can is now on presale! Get yours today while the special pricing lasts!

Mishimoto Carbon Fiber Baffled Oil Catch Can

-Nick
Old 08-21-2018, 10:49 AM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by pbergmann
Had a catch can on my 2014 Z51 and there was never an issue with warranty coverage (and always removed a good amount of oil and sludge at every oil change. That much less crud to mess up the MAF or intake valves

Last edited by KenHorse; 08-21-2018 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:48 AM
0Mishimoto
Former Vendor

Hey Guys!

Just wanted to bump this up and let you know we will be closing the presale for this tomorrow! Make sure you get in on the discounted price before it's over!

-Nick
Old 08-27-2018, 11:52 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Its gotta be the coolest looking catch can on the market ….
Old 08-27-2018, 12:21 PM
DWS44
Melting Slicks

Received 683 Likes on 444 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader

Get notified of new replies

To Form and Function - Mishimoto Carbon Fiber Catch Can

Quick Reply: Form and Function - Mishimoto Carbon Fiber Catch Can