Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Rob will do a great job for you.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:08 PM
intensifi
Pro

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I see you edited your response, after I posted, so I'm responding in kind.

Call him yourself. His business name is on the video and then it's just a matter of using Google. I'm sure he'll get a good laugh over your "powder theory."

At any rate, do whatever you want . . . your car and your money.
Thanks for the idea!

I just had a great conversation with Rob. I wish I was closer so I could have him do my cars!

He said the reason the ceramic coating underneath the PPF does not dissipate, flake or become powder is because the PPF is porous. Air gets all the way in and allows the ceramic to not overheat (and breakdown) under the PPF.

I asked him point blank: "How did you know there was still ceramic on the clear coat as opposed to just clear coat as both would look the same?" He said he knew it still had ceramic because the detail spray he used after the pull behaved as it would on ceramic, not clear coat.

He further said older films were not like the modern stuff. He mentioned horror stories of clear coat coming off when the film was pulled.

He thought it a good idea to put ceramic on top of the PPF as well.

(Note: in my haste I forgot to ask him if this would block the pores in the PPF and have the adverse effects on the "undercoat" ceramic I was concerned about in the first place. I'll send him an email and update the thread with his response.)

I told him about my idea to leave a small square (via detainers tape) on various surfaces uncovered by the ceramic so I could constantly see the difference in dirt adhesion and hydrophobic properties. This way I would know when the ceramic had broken down (flaked away, powdered, etc.). He said he liked that idea and asked that I send pics. He said he was going to try it himself.

It's always fun to learn something new!
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Great, if you want to spend the money for both over and under ceramic coverage, go for it!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:26 PM
graj6
Burning Brakes

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I know there's disagreement between putting the PPF on top of the Opti or the other way around, but just as an example, I have XPel Ultimate over 70% of the car and Opti Pro+ on everything (on top of the film and on top of the uncovered paint). The combo has worked great for me and it makes the car extremely easy to clean. The shine imparted by the Opti Pro + is amazing.

Like others have pointed out, the only disadvantage is that any damage to the XPEL will mean redoing the coating once the XPEL itself has been applied anew.
LT1 Z51 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 11:56 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

My warranty installer here (original installer was in Nashville near BG so I can't call this guy my installer) says to put the Opticoat Pro+ under the Film. However if you already have the film they will put it over (I'm having this done this year). When I get the XPEL redone at year 10 I'll have them do it the other way. Opticoat Pro+ first, then XPEL. Regardless it covers all the areas the film doesn't cover (my guy even does jambs and wheels!)

Here is the guys page which gives you a good idea of what you can and should do:
http://motorcityautospa.com/new-car-protection
Foosh (02-20-2017)

Quick Reply: Xpel and OptiCoat PRO+ Question