2016 Mustang loaded to 2014 C7 Z51 2LT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 06:26 PM
RoninRed
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Mustang loaded to 2014 C7 Z51 2LT

Hey guys, new here.

As a car enthusiast I am asking this question from as an unbiased standpoint as possible, I hope it can be answered just as well.
In 2015 I ordered my GT completely loaded with all the features I could want (Nav, Performance Pack, heated seats...) and have invested a couple hundred in light cosmetic and performance tweaks...

I recently saw a corvette that caught my attention when browsing online. I have always loved the Stingray and love it for what it is.. My question is this: Disregarding opinions on production quality, would it make sense to trade for a older model Vette from a Mustang I ordered to my exact liking?
For anyone who was a s550 mustang owner before grabbing a C7, what made you switch?

Thank you in advance.

Ronin
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

I have owned FOUR Mustang GTs in my life (although none of them were of the S550 variety); a 1988, a 1993, a 1995 and a 2008.

I have test-drove a 2015 Mustang GT (used, but with only 6k on the clock) last summer. It was bright red, fully loaded and had the six-speed manual in it. My intent was to order a new 2017 - but I took a drive in a barely used 2016 Corvette Stingray and that sealed the deal for me.

Not sure if you want to go from a "new" Mustang GT that you got built the way you wanted to a "used" Corvette that may or may not be just what you want. It was easier for me to make a clear decision, though, because I would get either one new.

I was going to shell out mid to upper 50s for a factory-order Stingray or 35 grand for a fully-loaded Mustang GT AND have some money left over for modifications on the Ford. The Ford exhaust definitely sounds better than the Mustang and you have enough room to take more than one passenger with you. However, the "cool" factor of the 'Vette is way ahead of the 'Stang. It definitely turns more heads on the road.

Both cars are good on the road and the Corvette is faster (lighter as well) - but the Mustang is certainly no slouch. Aftermarket performance parts are probably cheaper for the pony car - at least I would assume so. The 'Vette will cost more to insure and maintain, but you are likely to suffer a bit less in depreciation over the long haul. Either car looks great and is awesome to drive!

P.S. If it were my daily driver, the Mustang would get the nod. For a garage queen (which mine is), the 'Vette is the clear winner. I have a paid-off Nissan Altima that is my daily driver so the fiberglass baby only comes out on nice days.

Last edited by JK 23112; 02-20-2017 at 07:48 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by JK 23112:
pdiddy972 (02-21-2017), Rebel Yell (02-21-2017), RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:28 PM
RoninRed
5th Gear

^^^ That last bit was pretty critical IMO thank you for your input. I'm only 23, I guess I could wait until I've really established myself before hoping on the vette team. The s550 just revs high and shifts hard, I always thought it was my bad clutch handling but everyone seems to agree its pretty sensitive. Second reasonn being I can't seem to fathom why the left the damn rear seats in; as if people can actually sit in them in the first place...

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-20-2017 at 10:08 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:05 AM
PKI
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

The S550 is a nice ride. The Edge was the best of five and the S550 is considerably better all around. Believe the daily driver comment is spot on. I would not make the trade you are considering, but you need to do your own research and make this decision yourself. Having a fun car to drive makes for a lot of satisfaction. The S550 will give you that and not cost you a bundle. The C7 Corvette is a step up and given the budget may be the right choice for you. A close relative moved from an Eco-Boost Track Pack to a 2017 Z51 and feels it was the right choice. You may too. Pat
The following users liked this post:
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 AM
Karlba
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 19 Posts

I went from a 14 Mustang GT to a 15 3LT Vette and insurance was 5.00 per 6 months higher, ironically the mustang was 50.00 per 6 months lower than the 2011 BMW 335D I had B4 it so the vette is still 45.00 lower than the 3 series Bimmer.
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

enjoy your stand and put the extra 20k that you will save to something more important like a house when you are ready to start a family.
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:24 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

My first question is:
- Have you driven a C7 Corvette?
- Have you researched what your Mustang would be worth on trade-in?

They are very different cars (did not own a Mustang but have driven various generations of them many times). So I would say start with a test drive just to see if you like the car vs your current one. Then you have to do the math. At your age, I would say keep the Mustang and continue to pay it down/save towards a Vette if you really liked it. There are tons of low mileage used C7's out there. Also look into your insurance when you turn 25. Assuming you have a clean driving record there are typically some discounts once you turn 25 years old.

I was never impressed at all with the stock manual gearbox in the non-GT350 Mustang's but there are some aftermarket solutions to help improve it (you probably already know this).

Last edited by thill444; 02-21-2017 at 08:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by thill444:
LT1 Z51 (02-23-2017), pdiddy972 (02-21-2017), RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:30 AM
cdeuso
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just last weekend traded a 2015 Mustang GT manual for a 2015 Corvette 1LT. I did downgrade in some respects, as I don't have heated /cooled seats anymore. But I feel like upgraded in every other respect. More power, better handling, better looks. To me it was the next step up from the Mustang. I have always been a Ford guy, and I've had many Fords, but there was always that allure of the Corvette. I found a great deal and jumped on it. Also, we've still got a Mustang in the family, as my Wife traded her Focus for a fully loaded 2016 GT the day before I got the Vette. I will say the Mustang is significantly more comfortable than the Vette, and more spacious. The Corvette is still a very comfortable car, though. Like I said, I didn't necessarily upgrade in every single category, but I did upgrade in all of the categories that matter to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by cdeuso:
BrunoTheMellow (02-23-2017), RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:30 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I agree with the others that say keep the Mustang. There will be a day in the future that the Corvette will be right for you. Believe me at your age I couldn't consider a Corvette even though I wanted so bad.

Also, when the Mustang came out it was considered a 2+2 car. That was because of the back seat IIRC, and to stay true to the original car Ford has kept it that way. As far as the wife's GT goes, we mainly use the back seat to throw things when we use it for trips. You can buy a back seat delete kit at American Muscle if you like. But in my mind that takes away from the looks of the car.
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 02:37 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I went from a GT500 to a Z06 with no regrets. While I really like(d) the GT500, it's like comparing apples to oranges for obvious reasons. If you've been smitten the C7, then go for it.
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 03:19 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,067 Likes on 591 Posts

I remember before I bought my first Corvette I went and got great prices on a Roush Mustang. It was a great car and I loved it. But my brother said to me, "Yep it's a great car and really nice but it's still just a Mustang." So I got a Vette and haven't turned back. Just sayin!
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 PM
dmhines
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 144 Posts

I went from 2012 Mustang GT to 2014 Z51 and now a 2017 GS ... Never once regretted that decision ... except for fact my Mustang would have been paid off by now ...
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Steve318a
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a relatively similar situation to yours a while back. I bought a nicely equipped brand new 2012 Mustang GT when I was 23, loved it for a couple of years, but ended up trading it in for a 2007 c6 vert with virtually every option (had an uncle that was trading into a new c7, so he sold it to me for what the dealer offered him instead). I really only did it at first for the value proposition, since I felt like I could watch my mustang's trade in value drop by the second.

Anyway, the point of my story is I ended up enjoying my vette way more than the mustang which was 5 years newer, so to answer your question, I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

I actually traded in my c6 last summer for a 16 1LT coupe with only pdr/npp for options, and it is lightyears ahead of what my loaded c6 was (only thing I miss is the HUD), and my mustang isn't even the same ballpark. I know the s550's are a lot nicer than the s197 was, but I just can't see it coming close to the c7 in any category. Even in terms of practicality, the back seat in my mustang was an absolute joke, and there is plenty of trunk space in the vette if you get a coupe. I think you should go for it.
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Hi Ronin. Welcome to the CF! You're relatively young and don't mention your financial situation, so I'll just assume that you have that part covered and you're just asking about the differences.

We've owned a lot of stang's (28 of them) and I really like them. Ford has done a great job with them, and they're an awesome car for sure.

The C7 is really a different animal. Many on the CF use them as DDs and enjoy them that way. I find the back seat on the stang (and Camaro too) to be pretty much useless - you can fit a ton of stuff in a C7 - but you can take additional passengers in a stang for short distances.

Bottom line for me is if I liked the Mustang better I'd be driving one - but that's something only you can answer. C7s, in any configuration, are awesome IMO. Good luck!!
RoninRed (02-22-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 08:04 PM
RoninRed
5th Gear

The dealership just got back with me... Without going into too much into the financial situation, I would end up owing less on my Mustang (meaning usually a lower payment).

Also worth mentioning they offered bottom dollar for my mustang so I'm sure I could get more from it and be even better off. Now I just have to think about the practicality of owning a vette, and get over the attachment to my beloved pony car.

Suggestions given this new information? lol I always like to hear advice from those who have gone before me.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:54 AM
cdeuso
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoninRed
The dealership just got back with me... Without going into too much into the financial situation, I would end up owing less on my Mustang (meaning usually a lower payment).

Also worth mentioning they offered bottom dollar for my mustang so I'm sure I could get more from it and be even better off. Now I just have to think about the practicality of owning a vette, and get over the attachment to my beloved pony car.

Suggestions given this new information? lol I always like to hear advice from those who have gone before me.
Here's always been my rule about trading. I would never trade into a payment that I would have to stress about making. If you currently have a decent buffer on your monthly budget and a Corvette would significantly eat into that buffer, I wouldn't go for it. There's no reason to stress your finances just to have a Corvette. The Mustang is still a very capable and good looking car. And as far as practicality, I don't think I would want to have a Vette as my only car. It is an awesome car, but definitely has limits on practicality. The Mustang has significantly more room and can haul more people when necessary. Not to mention the Corvette is more expensive on insurance, requires premium gas, more expensive to work on, tires cost more and wear out faster. I think if all of these things are real concerns, you should probably stick with the Mustang. I traded my Mustang for the Corvette because I am finally at a point in life where I can afford these extra expenses without stressing too much about it. I also have an SUV that I can drive when the weather turns bad or if I need to haul something. I would not jump into this without doing some real soul searching and making sure it's a good decision. Also, I read above that you're 23. I am 28 now, and I'm sure most everyone on here can tell you that your life is likely going to be changing a lot over the next few years. So keep all these things in mind.
AdventurePoser (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:46 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Depends on what you will use car mainly for.

I have both and have been using Fox 5.0 Mustang GT 5 spd. manual as daily driver for 29 years now. This is a very durable car. Easier to park too. Can be a very dangerous car to drive if in hands of wrong driver as it doesn't have safety features like new cars of today and back end can come around on you easily especially in wet weather because of weight distribution.

I use Corvette for long trips and weekends as it is a lot more comfortable riding.

I do like those newer last generation 2015 5.0 Mustang GT (last year of solid rear axle?)
With 6 spd. motor that engine is rev crazy and offers tons of power with Coyote 32 valve base engine.
Only problem is that the ride/suspension is too stiff and bumpy to drive on these public roads.
JK 23112 (02-23-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To 2016 Mustang loaded to 2014 C7 Z51 2LT

Old 02-23-2017, 06:47 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Working for Ford you'd expect my opinion to be the opposite of what it is, but after driving S550 Mustangs during development and after launch I was unimpressed with them versus my 2008 C6 Corvette. The C7 is no comparison in my opinion, the car especially at the 3LT level has everything and more versus the Mustang with the exception of 2 versus 4 seats.

When shopping for an upgrade to my C6, I briefly looked at GT350 and GT350R's and when it became clear I would not be getting those at MSRP (no A/Z Plan on those, the RS or obviously the Ford GT) because of excessive ADM. I looked at the Mustang GT (few co-workers bought them) next and it just didn't do it for me. The backseat is mostly useless, the seating position is horrible, the clutch action is too heavy (can be fixed with the removal of the return spring), and the options just aren't there (still no real HUD). The only advantage was when the Mustang added Sync 3 which is superior to MyLink (the 2016 HMI 2.5 update on the C7 helps bring it closer).

So my opinion, is if you want a Sports Car buy a Corvette. If you want a Daily Driver that can do "Sports Car Things" get the Mustang GT (or a Focus RS honestly).
Old 02-23-2017, 07:05 PM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by LS WON

I do like those newer last generation 2015 5.0 Mustang GT (last year of solid rear axle?)
With 6 spd. motor that engine is rev crazy and offers tons of power with Coyote 32 valve base engine.

The last year of the "live" (solid) rear axle was 2014. Beginning in 2015 - with the new body style - Ford put the independent rear suspension in all Mustangs. Prior to that, only the Shelby high-performance versions had it. The GT and base cars still had the old solid rear axle, which was great for drag racing.

As for the "Coyote" 5.0L V8 engine, I think it was first installed in the Mustang GT in 2011 and then gradually improved upon since then. I did not know that Ford was putting 32 valves in it. No wonder it puts out 430 horsepower!

I test-drove a used 2015 GT and really did like the car. Plenty of power, although not nearly as refined as a Corvette.

LS WON (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 07:21 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 922 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by JK 23112

The last year of the "live" (solid) rear axle was 2014. Beginning in 2015 - with the new body style - Ford put the independent rear suspension in all Mustangs. Prior to that, only the Shelby high-performance versions had it. The GT and base cars still had the old solid rear axle, which was great for drag racing.

As for the "Coyote" 5.0L V8 engine, I think it was first installed in the Mustang GT in 2011 and then gradually improved upon since then. I did not know that Ford was putting 32 valves in it. No wonder it puts out 430 horsepower!

I test-drove a used 2015 GT and really did like the car. Plenty of power, although not nearly as refined as a Corvette.

It should be noted, no S197 Mustang had IRS. The Shelby Cobra R on the SN95 did from 1999-2004. Supposedly the SN95 IRS fits in the S197 though.

Coyote is a typical 4-valve DOHC engine, I never understood why Ford made a DOHC engine with 2-valves, seems pointless.

Last edited by LT1 Z51; 02-23-2017 at 07:22 PM.
JK 23112 (02-23-2017)

Quick Reply: 2016 Mustang loaded to 2014 C7 Z51 2LT