Sponsored by:

Z51 without PTM

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 168 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Z51 without PTM

Is competitive mode the equivalent to Sport 1, Sport 2 or Race?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:26 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Good question!! I don't know - I have a Z06 with MSRC and PTM. I suspect Comp mode in your Z51 comes close to what those of us with MSRC get when we go into the non-PTM Track mode.

When the **** on a PTM car is turned to the Track mode, without pushing the button twice, it's in some sort of Comp mode - and exactly what mode each of the systems is in when you're in that non-PTM Track mode isn't definitively defined, at least not that I've been able to find.

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

That thread is all about PTM, but in that first post you can see the table below:

In that table you can see the various systems that act differently as you progress through the PTM modes. You have all those systems except for the magnetic shocks, and of course your eLSD won't be in the PTM mode when you're in Comp.

You can see that in Sport 1: TC is in Sport; Active Handling is in Comp; Steering is in Track.

When in PTM, the TC in Sport means something entirely different than your TC. The PTM TC is "predictive" in order to stop wheel spin before it occurs, whereas your TC simply "reacts" to stop wheel spin after it already has happened. So, I don't really know what Comp mode does to your TC. When you select Comp mode AH is not as intrusive - it lets the car go a little farther before it puts in AH corrections. In Comp mode your TC may doing something similar to that.

I suspect that Sport 1 is about what you'll have when you go into Comp mode on your Z51 without MSRC shocks - but I'm just sorta making an educated guess without having been able to find out even what we have in a PTM car when we go into Track mode without doing the double button push to enter the PTM mode.

Bottom line - your Comp mode is probably very much like the base Track mode of a PTM car (select Track without pushing the button twice to go into PTM mode), and is probably very close to Sport 1 except you have regular TC and not PTM.

I'll be watching to see if anyone has more specifics about it!!

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-23-2017 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added Bottom Line
The following users liked this post:
vbdenny (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Good question!! I don't know - I have a Z06 with MSRC and PTM. I suspect Comp mode in your Z51 comes close to what those of us with MSRC get when we go into the non-PTM Track mode.

When the **** on a PTM car is turned to the Track mode, without pushing the button
twice, it's in some sort of Comp mode - and exactly what mode each of the systems is in when you're in that non-PTM Track mode isn't definitively defined, at least not that I've been able to find.

Take a look at this thread:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

That thread is all about PTM, but in that first post you can see the table below:

In that table you can see the various systems that act differently as you progress through the PTM modes. You have all those systems except for the magnetic shocks, and of course your eLSD won't be in the PTM mode when you're in Comp.

You can see that in Sport 1: TC is in Sport; Active Handling is in Comp; Steering is in Track.

When in PTM, the TC in Sport means something entirely different than your TC. The PTM TC is "predictive" in order to stop wheel spin before it occurs, whereas your TC simply "reacts" to stop wheel spin after it already has happened. So, I don't really know what Comp mode does to your TC. When you select Comp mode AH is not as intrusive - it lets the car go a little farther before it puts in AH corrections. In Comp mode your TC may doing something similar to that.

I suspect that Sport 1 is about what you'll have when you go into Comp mode on your Z51 without MSRC shocks - but I'm just sorta making an educated guess without having been able to find out even what we have in a PTM car when we go into Track mode without doing the double button push to enter the PTM mode.

I'll be watching to see if anyone has more specifics about it!!

My confusion is the manual states that in Sport one; traction is disabled and stability control is active; it also states that engine power is limited; full engine power is only available in race mode; in competive mode without PTM; it states full engine power without traction control but with stability control; the way I read the manual it seems the only way with PTM To get full power is in race mode; Spring mountains instructors state sport one and competive mode is the same yet the manual seems to state differently.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:23 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 9157
...the way I read the manual it seems the only way with PTM To get full power is in race mode; Spring mountains instructors state sport one and competive mode is the same yet the manual seems to state differently.
Yes - they're different!! The TC in Sport 1 is controlled by PTM, where the TC in Comp is off (or possibly allows a little more wheel spin before intervening).

I just did Spring Mt last Thurs/Fri, and I asked them about the base Track mode (select Track but don't double push the button to go into PTM). They waffled because they just didn't know the specifics. As I mentioned in my other post, I haven't been able to find any specifics on exactly what you've got in that mode - and it's probably very similar to Comp in your car.

You say "only way with PTM To get full power is race mode".

Well....you're only slightly limited during track-out when the steering wheel isn't completely unwound, and you don't need full power then anyway - the engine will give you all the power that the contact patch can handle for the mode selected. As soon as you've unwound the wheel you'll get FULL power.

I think with your car you can turn EVERYTHING off by pushing and holding the button for about 8-10 seconds. You can do that with a PTM car as well. In either car you'll get FULL power all the time in that case.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Yes - they're different!! The TC in Sport 1 is controlled by PTM, where the TC in Comp is off (or possibly allows a little more wheel spin before intervening).

I just did Spring Mt last Thurs/Fri, and I asked them about the base Track mode (select Track but don't double push the button to go into PTM). They waffled because they just didn't know the specifics. As I mentioned in my other post, I haven't been able to find any specifics on exactly what you've got in that mode - and it's probably very similar to Comp in your car.

Well....you're only slightly limited during track-out when the steering wheel isn't completely unwound, and you don't need full power then anyway - the engine will give you all the power that the contact patch can handle for the mode selected. As soon as you've unwound the wheel you'll get FULL power.

I think with your car you can turn EVERYTHING off by pushing and holding the button for about 8-10 seconds. You can do that with a PTM car as well. In either car you'll get FULL power all the time in that case.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

I just did Spring Mt last Thurs/Fri, and I asked them about the base Track mode (select Track but don't double push the

button to go into PTM). They waffled

because they just didn't know the specifics. As I mentioned in my other post, I haven't been able to find any specifics on exactly what you've got in that mode - and it's probably very similar to Comp in your car.

This is my 3rd C7; my previous two had MSRC and my last one was a Z06; it is my understanding that "standard track" mode with (cars wth PTM) PTM defaults to track wet.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:01 PM
RPOC7R
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

In Z51's without PTM, the Competitive Driving Mode turns off Traction Control and switches to a less intrusive Competitive Stability Control mode than the normal Stability Control mode. Therefore the Competitive Driving Mode has a different Traction Control setting (completely off) than all five PTM modes and a Competitive Stability Control mode equivalent to that of the PTM's Dry and Sport 1 modes.

Traction Control applies the brakes and reduces engine power. Stability Control applies the brakes and does not reduce engine power.

Last edited by RPOC7R; 02-23-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 9157
This is my 3rd C7; my previous two had MSRC and my last one was a Z06; it is my understanding that "standard track" mode with (cars wth PTM) PTM defaults to track wet.
Somebody told me that in another thread, but I haven't tried it out. They said that TC and AH were VERY intrusive in the basic Track mode!!

Take a look at the video below - in you can see that just above the RPM display it initially says "Performance Traction Management: Sport 1". At about 1:07 into the video you can see a little wiggle of the rear end, and a couple seconds later the "PTM: Sport 1" disappears.

I figured it went into the "basic" Track mode (non-PTM Track mode), which I believe is somewhere between Sport and PTM Sport 1 (probably somewhat like Comp in your car).

You can see after PTM Sport 1 drops out, there are numerous times where I got that "skidding car" icon just to the left of the lap time. I get it braking straight ahead, and also in turns - but AH wasn't intrusive at all, and I couldn't feel any AH input. I have previously run my two C6 Vettes on the track many times, and usually in Comp mode, and I could always feel little tugs and see "Active Handling" in the DIC whenever AH was doing its thing in those cars.

I've only run my C7 at 3 track events so far, and all have been in Sport 1 (except for that session in the video where it dropped out), and I haven't felt any AH intrusion.

At Spring Mt last week in the wet figure-8 exercise, when PTM Wet mode was selected the AH was VERY aggressive!!!!! So I'm quite sure that when Sport 1 dropped out on me in that video, and it went into what I assume is the basic non-PTM Track mode, it definitely was not in the Wet mode!

My next track event is in 6 weeks, and I'll be back at my home track - the Rolex 24 roadcourse at Daytona. I'll try to remember to try out the basic non-PTM Track mode to see if does any real aggressive AH inputs like it would in the Wet mode.

Last edited by BEZ06; 02-24-2017 at 09:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEZ06:
berk4422 (02-24-2017), SkyBox (04-22-2019)
Old 02-24-2017, 06:19 AM
Naples FL
Support Corvetteforum!

Somebody told me that in another thread, but I haven't tried it out. They said that TC and AH were VERY intrusive in the basic Track mode!!

Take a look at the video below - in you can see that just above the RPM display it initially says "Performance Traction Management: Sport 1". At about 1:07 into the viehenni did that exerciseondeo you can see a little wiggle of the rear end, and a couple seconds later the "PTM: Sport 1" disappears.

I figured it went into the "basic" Track mode (non-PTM Track mode), which I believe is somewhere between Sport and PTM Sport 1 (probably somewhat like Comp in your car).

You can see after PTM Sport 1 drops out, there are numerous times where I got that "skidding car" icon just to the left of the lap time. I get it braking straight ahead, and also in turns - but AH wasn't intrusive at all, and I couldn't feel any AH input. I have previously run my two C6 Vettes on the track many times, and usually in Comp mode, and I could always feel little tugs and see "Active Handling" in the DIC whenever AH was doing its thing in those cars.

I've only run my C7 at 3 track events so far, and all have been in Sport 1 (except for that session in the video where it dropped out), and I haven't felt any AH intrusion.

At Spring Mt last week in the wet figure-8 exercise, when PTM Wet mode was selected the AH was VERY aggressive!!!!! So I'm quite sure that when Sport 1 dropped out on me in that video, and it went into what I assume is the basic non-PTM Track mode, it definitely was not in the Wet mode!"nono:

My next track event is in 6 weeks, and I'll be back at my home track - the Rolex 24 roadcourse at Daytona. I'll try to remember to try out the basic non-PTM Track mode to see if does any real aggressive AH inputs like it would in the Wet mode.

https://youtu.be/io92rgb-frY

When I was at Spring Mountain we did the wet figure 8 in "weather mode" not "track wet"
i really believe that the default for track mode is "wet track" because you are right; the "nannies" are very intrusive in just track mode with out PTM engaged. Also, when you engage it; it's in Track wet immediately

Last edited by 9157; 02-24-2017 at 08:00 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 without PTM

Quick Reply: Z51 without PTM