Sponsored by:

New 2017 Grand Sport and need info on the 500 mile first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:25 AM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Reading and posting in this Thread caused me to make the decision and end my internal debate!

Just ordered two magnetic drain plugs from Power **** Racing! Much better quality than stuff at Autozone etc. Used them on my 2014. Also ordered a PF64 filter as I was getting something from Amazon and the filter was an "Add-On Item" at a good price!

Now lets see if Mobil offers a rebate before I put on 500 miles after the car is delivered and I buy the two jugs needed from Walmart!
I think the rebates start in march again time too stock up.
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 10:01 AM
Speedforhire
Melting Slicks

Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Reading and posting in this Thread caused me to make the decision and end my internal debate!

Just ordered two magnetic drain plugs from Power **** Racing! Much better quality than stuff at Autozone etc. Used them on my 2014. Also ordered a PF64 filter as I was getting something from Amazon and the filter was an "Add-On Item" at a good price!

Now lets see if Mobil offers a rebate before I put on 500 miles after the car is delivered and I buy the two jugs needed from Walmart!
Checking into it now (Amazon, Flee-bay, Wally-World, etc.,.) but wanted input on those filter magnets that we sometimes hear about. Anyone use them? Do they actually work or is it just snake oil?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedforhire
Checking into it now (Amazon, Flee-bay, Wally-World, etc.,.) but wanted input on those filter magnets that we sometimes hear about. Anyone use them? Do they actually work or is it just snake oil?
Power **** Racing sells an intersting one. You put it (or several) in the filter (then take it out when you change filters! Just put their name in Google.

The drain plugs are enough for me. Always get some very small of magnetic metal particles when I change oil. Funny the 502/502 BB Chevy crate motor I installed in my Street Rod came with a magnetic drain plug.

You can buy one or several that just drop in the oil filter! Remove, clean off metal and reuse when done!

Last edited by JerryU; 02-25-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:01 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by andy21
The dealer took care of my 500 mile oil change. I did not pay a dime.
Same here.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:02 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Default My 2016 Window Sticker shows only 2 oil changes

I'm not sure from where the info is coming that there are 3 and in some cases 4 free oil changes. I'm looking at my original window sticker, which reads: (Upper Left Side of the window sticker, under the heading "Standard Equipment"):

"
  • Two Maintenance Visits, Oil & Filter Change, 27 point inspection
"

Mine is a 2016 Z51 coupe with 3LT, Mag Ride, Auto trans.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:07 PM
MackIII
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MackIII
Hi guys,

OK, I recently bought a 2017 Grand Sport and did a search on this fine forum on oil changes for it. From what I could tell, I am entitled to 4 oil changes (within 2ys or 24,000 miles) plus the first initial one at 500 miles. Now this was the info I read here but it was for the 2014-2016 year Stingrays.

I talked with my dealer today and he looked up that I am only entitled to 3 oil changes (during the 2yr or 24,000 miles) for my 2017 GS and he was going to look into the 500 mile one for me.

Is he correct on only 3 oil changes for the 2017 year now and not 4? Also on the first initial 500 mile oil change......who pays for it.....Me or GM? I have read the GM letter shown here on the forum and in my owners manual but no where does it mention if it's covered by them or counted as one of my entitled 3.

Thanks
Mack
Originally Posted by Speedforhire
............read the Owners Manual. Its listed in the service interval section. The 3 services are free under the Chevrolet Complete Care Program. The 500 mile oil change is mandatory for your warranty requirements.

BTW! There is a wealth of information in your Owners Manual.

Thanks, but the last part of my post indicated that I read my owners manual as well as the service note or bulletin indicating the 500 mile recommended oil change. It just wasn't clear to me as to whether the 500 mile oil change was included and paid for by GM
Old 02-25-2017, 09:26 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,605 Likes on 6,618 Posts

Originally Posted by blkvet6
I'm not sure from where the info is coming that there are 3 and in some cases 4 free oil changes. I'm looking at my original window sticker, which reads: (Upper Left Side of the window sticker, under the heading "Standard Equipment"):

"
  • Two Maintenance Visits, Oil & Filter Change, 27 point inspection
"

Mine is a 2016 Z51 coupe with 3LT, Mag Ride, Auto trans.
Yep, 2 free for normal maintenance but that 500 mile change is because GM found a problem! 13 months after I got my dry sump (September 2013 built Z51) a bulletin came out the said, putting in my words:
"If the engine is operated at sustained high speeds, oil foam may form and will come out of the dry sump tank with the "burped" air. That will cause oil to get into the air intake and possibly run down onto the air filter and drip on the ground! This is caused by silicone from curing seals depleting the antifoam agents in the first oil fill. Therefore you MUST have the oil changed after the first 500 miles."

GM's issue not normal maintenance so you get an extra free! A number of posts discussed having oil drip on the ground from the air filter! That requires replacing the air filter and possibly the MAF (mass airflow sensor) located in the air intake tube near the air filter.

Since you have a dry sump you must get the oil changed at 500 miles on GM. If you had the base system (wet sump) you would not change until the OLM says to change and therefor get 2.

Last edited by JerryU; 02-25-2017 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: New 2017 Grand Sport and need info on the 500 mile first oil change