New run-flat option for C7 Z51

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

Default New run-flat option for C7 Z51

Hi all, it's possible I am late to the party on this - but just in case I thought I would pass it on. I need to replace my OEM Runflats for my 2015 C7 Z51 and I have decided I want to stay with runflats.

While looking at Tire Rack I noted a new all season runflat option. Here are the OEM tires, Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP (summer tires):

Now there is another option, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3:

It is interesting that the All Season run about $250 less a set with a treadwear rating of 500 versus 300 on the summer tires. I wonder how the grip is by comparison? Anyone get a set yet?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:55 AM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

There are a couple threads to peek at, but I didn't look closely. It seems that there may be run flat and non-run flat versions of this tire? Dig in a little deeper, do a full forum search from the top of the web page or using the advanced search to cover all the subgroups that you want to search. I searched for "Michelin Pilot Sports A/S" (in quotes like that) and it will highlight in the forum that phrase so you can find it. Find some folks that look like they have those tires and maybe send them a PM? Would be great to hear back what you find out.

Michelin PSS vs Michelin Pilot Sports A/S 3+
Pilot Sport A/S 3+ from A/S 3
Old 02-25-2017, 11:08 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Yes, there are dozens of threads going back to last November when the PS AS3+ became available. Many people have switched or bought a 2nd set for winter use, as I did.

It is a fantastic tire, and it is the #1 rated UHP all-season tire. Like the PSS, they are available in both ZP and standard versions in base and Z51 sizes. They are not available the GS/Z06 sizes.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-25-2017 at 11:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
gottaz51 (02-25-2017)
Old 02-25-2017, 11:36 AM
C6 MoneyPit
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10, '15. '22-'23

^^^ Thanks, Foosh. So you like the runflat A/S as much as the summer version? Will you use it only for winter then change to the summer runflat?

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 02-25-2017 at 01:33 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:59 AM
PSU_Vette
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

If you drive the car in all seasons and have harsher weather, the A/S may be a good option. But I'm fairly certain it's cheaper is due to the demand of the Super Sports. If you compare the Super Sports to Sport Cup 2s right now, you can get the SC2s for less.

Car and Driver, Motor Trend, etc continues to rave about the Super Sports, so there will continue to be a high demand. I don't own both, but I'm pretty sure the A/S won't have nearly the same level of grip. They're not designed to. But it ranks as a stellar tire for all-seasons.

If you track your car, only drive in good weather (like here in SoCal), etc then I'd recommend staying with the Super Sports. If not, go with the A/S. You won't lose either way. But when it comes down to it: You bought a sports car; you gotta pay to play :-)
Old 02-25-2017, 12:17 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 MoneyPit
Thanks, Foosh. So you like the runflat A/S as much as the summer version? Will you use it only for winter then change to the summer runflat?
I wanted the AS3+ runflat, but ended up purchasing the standard version because the ZPs were in short supply last November.

Since I bought a 2nd set of wheels and left the PSS mounted, I will switch back in May, but quite frankly, the AS3+ is good enough to run year round on the street. While I'm quite sure the PSS has more grip at 9/10ths and temps above 70ºF, the difference wouldn't be noticed by most.

At temps below 60ºF, the AS3+ is better than the PSS.

The AS3+ ride is a little softer, but I'm sure that's due to the fact that I'm comparing a ZP tire to a non-ZP tire.

Last edited by Foosh; 02-25-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To New run-flat option for C7 Z51

Quick Reply: New run-flat option for C7 Z51