C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help, it's a deal breaker, can Nav be easily added to C7?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:39 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

OP, if a substitute is going to cost you a $1000 you may as well look for a car with NAV/PDR. You may not want PDR but there are a lot of people who do and that is one of the things that can help with resale.

Bill
Old 03-08-2017, 11:50 PM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

I have a Lexus with NAV and a Volvo with Nav. I have a Garmin and I have Android Auto in my C5. I'd rate them like this:

1. AA because the maps are always accurate, the directions are flawless and I can issue vague voice commands that it will understand, like "find me the nearest golf course"
2. Garmin, ease of use is excellent
3. Volvo, because it's real easy to dial in and out for more or less detail
4. Lexus because the voice controls are slow, unintuitive and full of "I know better than you and what you want to do is unsafe, pull over to the side of the road and let's talk" nonsense.

Last edited by Koufax; 03-08-2017 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,300 Likes on 13,973 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I never owned a car with factory nav that was any where near as good as a $200 Garmin system.
I'll agree with that, at least as far as Chevy's go. The factory Nav in my 2015 Impala absolutely sucks compared to my Garmin Nuvi.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:46 AM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

I have a 15 1LT and added factory nav. Pretty sure it mods the same way on the newer cars. I paid about $750ish for the HMI, and $12 for a generic GPS antenna. HMI was programmed for VIN, but I've heard VIN does not actually need to be programmed... Dunno. HMI has app for the PDR but obviously does not work, so I stashed the icon on another page so it's outta sight.

Put the GPS antenna in the engine bay and routed the wire under the trim by the drivers door. WAY less invasive than other methods, and you don't see anything except the antenna stuck to a spot by the driver side shock tower. GPS antenna under the hood works great. Why rip your car apart? HMI swap is fairly easy... 5 or so connectors and some fighting with the mounting bracket popping the old HMI loose and sliding out. A car stereo installer could install it in less than an hour easy. I could do it in about 20 minutes now that I've done it before.
Old 03-09-2017, 02:20 AM
Mister Big
Burning Brakes

Received 316 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Interesting, Elmer. I did not know this. Do you know of anyone who has actually done it?
I did it to my '16 1LT -- it installed just as Elmer described and it works great. BTW, when I bought the car I got it without navigation because I thought CarPlay would do a better job. Keep in mind that it works only as good as your data network. In my case it's T-Mobile and coverage pretty much sucks when you go outside of urban areas. When you go into these areas maps won't download so all you'll get is a cursor and a blank screen, and any other app that requires data service will also be useless. You'll probably have better luck with Verizon.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:09 AM
vbdenny
Drifting

Received 391 Likes on 279 Posts

I have one of those old fashioned, pre-electronic GPS things for finding your way. Works just perfect, does not give incorrect information, does not talk and requires no battery. Called a map.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

There may be another reason to skip this one. Most Z06's are sold as 3LT meaning that's what buyers want in a new Z06. So when you go to sell or trade in, your buying base could be tight.

If you do buy and wish to proceed with an install simply do a search, advance search on topic of "Nav install" at C7, C6, and C5 Discussion. You will find hundreds of discussions related to that topic and you will also pick up on many tips not considered thus far.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:20 AM
fredmills
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
You certainly seem fixated on this issue, like it's some sort of crusade. You never miss an opportunity to correct anyone who does this. You must be fun at parties. Look up "pedantry" some time and consider backing off. It really isn't necessary.
Your logo says it all.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:47 AM
Red08Roadster
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Agree with Snowwolfe. My '17 Z51 1LT has no factory Nav. The Garmin I use in my C7 on the rare occasions when I don't know where I'm going is way better than the factory nav in my '16 Colorado. Yes, I have to use the cup and stick it to the window. But the Garmin gives me lane departure warning, an automatic picture of a collision if and when it happens and some other groovy functions I don't know how to use. Plus, I can use my phone for Waze so I might get a useful police alert instead of using the tiny phone screen for navigation. Buy the Zo6 you want and get a Garmin, imo.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

The Factory Nav, AA and Carplay all have their pluses and minuses. I for one, use the factory Nav because I can save money on data. All those with limited cellular data plans could push the limit with data by using AA or Carplay. If not for that I am rather fond of AA.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Received 1,203 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by guido7834
Why pay extra for something you don't need, or have already on your phone?
Technically you don't *need* a car - yet you have one. You have a strong desire and see utility in owning one.

Same with the Nav or AA.

I don't know about you but squinting at a small phone for directions is *not* appealing to me - maybe it is to you. I appreciate that AA with Google Maps appears on my 8 inch screen, is easily readable and integrates well with the rest of the car (but sure wish they had integrated the HUD turn by turn). Being plugged in I have access to my podcasts, music and even things like TuneIn, Pandora, etc. all going through the stereo with superior sound. And... and this is the important part - integration with things like Google Maps, great voice search capabilities (try asking the factory nav to navigate you to the nearest DMV by saying only "navigate to DMV" - then try it with AA. Who wins?). I get in my car and fire up AA and it pops a card out saying "Are you going to <meeting XYZ>" - I tap it and off I go.

Plus integration with phone calls and you're real Google Contacts (without hassle and having to configure something else) as well as integration with texting apps using the way more superior to anything else voice recognition of Google.

... or you can whip out the old Rand Mcnally paper maps... I mean why pay for a phone when it's clear you don't need a phone to drive a car!
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Astrowing
What I do is use the on star app to send an address to in dash nav for our next destination before we get in the car. That works great. The app can also locate car either parked or moving somewhere.
The OnStar Send to Car is OK 'cept, typing an address into the OnStar app is not what I'd want to be doing at 50 MPH. You can only send one destination (with AA and GM I can search for several destinations using Google Maps on my desktop then send each of them to my phone as notifications. Then while driving I can simply tap which destination I'm going to - drive there, take care of business and tap the next one).

Also using the OnStar app requires that you use the factory nav. The factory nav data is old to start with, costs about $300 to renew, and you need and OnStar (or perhaps XM - I forget) subscription to have any hope of getting current traffic data. With Google Maps that's free and more accurate and up to date. And the maps are always current too.

Plus you get integration with other Google service and the world class voice recognition, etc.

The factory nav is OK, but AA/GM is far, far superior.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:33 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vbdenny
I have one of those old fashioned, pre-electronic GPS things for finding your way. Works just perfect, does not give incorrect information, does not talk and requires no battery. Called a map.
I remember them...

What I don't remember is that being fun.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:34 AM
defaria
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mister Big
I did it to my '16 1LT -- it installed just as Elmer described and it works great. BTW, when I bought the car I got it without navigation because I thought CarPlay would do a better job. Keep in mind that it works only as good as your data network. In my case it's T-Mobile and coverage pretty much sucks when you go outside of urban areas. When you go into these areas maps won't download so all you'll get is a cursor and a blank screen, and any other app that requires data service will also be useless. You'll probably have better luck with Verizon.
First off, why would you want a data limited phone? Anyway...

Not sure about Apple Maps but with Google Maps you can download maps for offline usage.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:39 AM
Koufax
Drifting

Received 194 Likes on 142 Posts

There's something comical about a guy driving a Z06 and worrying about the cost of his data plan.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:43 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Koufax
There's something comical about a guy driving a Z06 and worrying about the cost of his data plan.
Its not a worry, but why spend money on data, no matter how little, when you can use the factory NAV.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:45 AM
falconhulk
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by hangman
My base 2016 without Nav still has Apple Carplay and AA from the factory, no additional hardware needed.

The Op is looking at a 2016 Z06 so it should have CP and AA support.
He has said this in other threads. It's just as false now as then. I just got back from using Android Auto and I do not have nav. Something cool happened as well. I got a Skype message while driving and it read it to me and allowed a reply. Just like a regular text. Skype must have updated as it did not do this before.

Get notified of new replies

To Help, it's a deal breaker, can Nav be easily added to C7?

Old 03-09-2017, 11:47 AM
6speedC6
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I never owned a car with factory nav that was any where near as good as a $200 Garmin system.
100%
Old 03-09-2017, 11:49 AM
falconhulk
Pro

Originally Posted by defaria
This is great news if it's true. I would say I wish I could have saved money on the Nav when I first bought the car if I knew that AA would be supported. However I must say that there are times when I was out in the sticks hiking and my cell phone battery was pretty much dead. At those times it was good to have the factory Nav there to hit the home button and get home while my phone charged on the drive home.

I just wish we could get AA to do the turn by turn in the Nav. The Android Auto engineers say it's doable but that it's GM who needs to initiate the action. I don't see why GM would need to do this and I have no idea of how to get GM to do it. Anybody have any ideas?

For reference, here's my thread in the Android Auto product group about this.

Support HUD for cars that have that
It is indeed true. I think it's been mentioned in a lot of threads you were part of...
Old 03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
falconhulk
Pro

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Kevin,
I know the popular response to your thread is "you don't need Nav because you can use your phone for that function". However, I'm in agreement with you. The last two cars we purchased, my wife's Lexus and my C7, the Nav tool was a deal breaker both times. We're close to purchasing another SUV this week. One of the "must have" options, in dash nav tool. All of the cars on our final list have Nav. I just don't like using a phone or aftermarket GPS cluttering up the dash. With our next purchase, all of our vehicles will have in-dash Nav.
I think you have the wrong idea. AA and carplay both display on the infotainment screen. It's clean.

Quick Reply: Help, it's a deal breaker, can Nav be easily added to C7?