Sponsored by:

Not happy with Michelin Run-Flats on my 2016 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 08:40 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Not happy with Michelin Run-Flats on my 2016 Z06

Was going to do a tire rotation on the front today.....removed one then the other to find both tires had tread showing exposed on the inside edges with only 7000 miles on them!

Now dealer wants $1,048.30 to replace, balance, and front end alighnment for these two front tires.

Can't believe they only lasted this long..never raced, just normal street driving lots in the mountains all paved roads...

What are most forum members getting on Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires.....are fronts wearing out at the same rate as the rears?>

Any suggestions on getting a different tire that will or could last longer? If so, what are your recommendations and experiences.

Love to compare....

NW
Old 03-08-2017, 08:49 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Sounds like your alignment was not proper for street driving. I went 12k miles + 3 or 4 days of track work with perfectly even wear on all 4 corners. Probably could have hit 15-18k but replaced before last track season. Not anywhere near showing cords.

Last edited by BrunoTheMellow; 03-08-2017 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:51 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 556 Likes on 452 Posts

It isn't the fault of the tires. Get new tires and a less aggressive alignment and you'll be happy with the tire wear.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 PM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Get in line...

Nonetheless, you shouldn't have threads showing at 7K. While the toe is a little strong on the C7, your car appears to be too strong, or out of alignment. I guess the dealership is blaming you and pro-rating the tires?
Old 03-08-2017, 09:39 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

There should be a sticky for this. A month doesn't go by without someone getting a surprise with wiped out inside front tires from too much negative camber and possibly toe in. I got that surprise 3 Corvettes ago. Now I have the car aligned for street driving. It's important to check wear across the entire tread regularly.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:56 PM
rmorin1249
Le Mans Master

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16,'18

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
There should be a sticky for this. A month doesn't go by without someone getting a surprise with wiped out inside front tires from too much negative camber and possibly toe in. I got that surprise 3 Corvettes ago. Now I have the car aligned for street driving. It's important to check wear across the entire tread regularly.
Very little wear in almot 10k miles on my DWS06s. Are all Z06s aligned for the track at the factory? Is an alignment check part of the PDI process?
Old 03-08-2017, 10:38 PM
owc6
Team Owner

Received 4,186 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
Very little wear in almot 10k miles on my DWS06s. Are all Z06s aligned for the track at the factory? Is an alignment check part of the PDI process?
Checking the alignment by the dealer is not part of the PDI, but the real problem is that all Corvettes come with a very aggressive alignment from the factory.

I found this out the hard way on my '05, and those tires were toast quickly, wearing out on the inside fronts.

On my '09 Z06, I had them do a less aggressive alignment before taking delivery, and again on my '14. I got 45,000 on my rears, and 35,000 on my fronts for my '14. I'm needing new fronts at 65,000 +, so right on schedule, with absolutely even wear across the the tread.

I get an alignment every other oil change, which works out to every 15,000 miles.

I can't comment on the difference of the general miles expected between the PSS and the sport cups, but unless you are tracking your car, there is no need for the super-agressive alignment, IMO.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 PM
NinjaZX14r
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Ok guys, I really appreciate all your comments......the dealer blames alignment problem.....but they are NOT willing to do a thing for me other than order another front pair and charge me $1,048 to mount and balance them. The rears look ok so far.

Now my question is for the street....I need someone with alignment experience to tell me what to tell my alignment technician exactly what caster and camber to install in this Z06. So, any members who have expertise along these lines, please don't hesitate to post with your recommendations..

I am having a fit over a brand new showroom condition Z06 and in the first year of ownership with mild driving replacing two new front tires...both wearing exactly the same way in the same inside corner areas.

I called tire dealer in Atlanta and he said these tires were designed to last one tank of gas at the track! It is a race tire on a race car, and not really designed to be casually driven on the street like a Malibu.

Obviously no one wants to take any responsibility...so I guess I am blaming the factory cause that is the condition it was in when delivered to dealer.....and of course they are not going to put it on their alignment machine and examine or change existing protocols.

Am all ears...don't hesitate to give me the facts...so far all you have advised sure makes good sense...just don't want this to happen to me this soon again.

I would never have even considered to do another alignment every other oil change.....this is damn expensive operating this Z06!

NW
Old 03-09-2017, 07:35 AM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

To the OP, the dealer nor GM is going to pay for a pair of front tires for you. This is a learning lesson for you. Check your tire wear on a regular basis. My Z06 would have wiped out my original Cup2's in likely less than 5 or 6,000 miles with the alignment it came with out of the box. It was within specs. You basically want 0 camber with just a little toe on the street. Your dealership should know that.
Unless you wack something, your alignment shouldn't change once you get it realigned (after you put new tires on). Now park your car with the steering at full lock and look at the fronts every few weeks.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:44 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,141 Posts

My C6 front tire with factory alignment at 19,000 miles. Lesson learned.

Last edited by Walt White Coupe; 03-09-2017 at 07:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jus Cruisin (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 08:10 AM
pbergmann
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 60 Posts

As the saying goes.. your going to pay if you want to play.
If that cost shocks you, just check to see how much the depreciation has cost you.
Tires are cheap.
Just point to make you feel better 😂
Old 03-10-2017, 08:18 AM
aerobaticflyer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

Since I'm going in for an oil change tomorrow and after reading this I figure I'll have the alignment checked. I don't see abnormally uneven wear after 6500 miles fortunately though. As to the rotation issue I don't see how that will help if both fronts wear early on the inside since after rotation the inside remains the inside on a side to side rotation.

I was a bit concerned when my dealer (a huge Vette dealer and service center) claimed the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are directional and cannot be rotated. No so from what I can gather. They are asymmetrical though meaning they just can't be reversed on the rim but they are not directional.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:28 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

The thing is your alignment should match your driving style. The Z06 comes with aggressive alignment specs. If you drive it mildly you will wear the inside edges. Take out some front camber or drive it like you stole it.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 AM
spoolin7
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any chance you lowered the car on the stock bolts or anything? That'll change the alignment enough to get wear issues. Also, there are a lot of contributing factors like heat, heat cycles, road crowning, tire pressure, etc.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:46 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

They should make a note of this in the manual for all you guys who drive your vettes as basically your grocery getter. 😂

7000 miles for me is over two years.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:21 AM
Landru
Race Director

Received 1,047 Likes on 821 Posts

Back when C6 came out, continuing w/ Z06 same problem.
Stock GYs wore out insides regardless how gentle cars were driven.
IIRC C6s leaving BG may experience forces altering alignment, 'settling'?, resulting in premature tire wear.
For this reason one could take their C6 to dealer within a certain # of miles, 1K, and get alignment checked/corrected free.
I had this check done, tires still wore fast.
Is this alignment/correction service offered for C7?

As others said aggressive toe & camber for racing, not street, is at the heart of this matter.
Last skins dealer did 4W alignment using Pfadt Street Spec.
10K later, wear's virtually nonexistent.

Do Pfadt specs exist for C7?
If so use 'em, tires will last much longer -- as they should.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM
BAMAGOLFER
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'10-'11

Default PFADT Alignment specs

http://www.pfadtracing.com/docs/camb...t-settings.pdf

These specs were very helpful on the C6's and I believe they will work for the C7's.

Hope this helps.

Kelly

Get notified of new replies

To Not happy with Michelin Run-Flats on my 2016 Z06

Old 03-10-2017, 01:04 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
To the OP, the dealer nor GM is going to pay for a pair of front tires for you. This is a learning lesson for you. Check your tire wear on a regular basis. My Z06 would have wiped out my original Cup2's in likely less than 5 or 6,000 miles with the alignment it came with out of the box. It was within specs. You basically want 0 camber with just a little toe on the street. Your dealership should know that.
Unless you wack something, your alignment shouldn't change once you get it realigned (after you put new tires on). Now park your car with the steering at full lock and look at the fronts every few weeks.
Altho the above may sound a little assertive, it is correct. And if your alignment shop doesn't know what a "street performance" setting is for your car, you need to find another shop. Possibly one that's familiar with Corvettes or racing cars. (Why racing cars? Because they know the difference betw. what works on the track and the other cars that come to the shop---some that bring the race cars.)

As to the above re it shouldn't change alignment once you get it done, I tend to differ with that part of the opinion. I think there are enough road conditions and types of holes, tracks, curbs, dropoffs, etc. that checking your alignment at a shop should be a routine, maybe once a year. It all depends if you're willing to pay for tires early, or want the max life out of them.

Good luck.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:26 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

I noticed last fall when I stored my car that I have some cupping on the inside edge of both fronts. The car has 12.5k on it. Going to dealer for safety inspection and seatbelt software recall next month. Will have an alignment done at that time.
Old 03-11-2017, 01:25 AM
pdiddy972
Race Director

Received 532 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by BAMAGOLFER
http://www.pfadtracing.com/docs/camb...t-settings.pdf

These specs were very helpful on the C6's and I believe they will work for the C7's.

Hope this helps.

Kelly
Can anyone confirm if these are indeed valid street settings for a C7?

Quick Reply: Not happy with Michelin Run-Flats on my 2016 Z06