Sponsored by:

Ah yes, retirement, Aruba and good reads

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2017, 11:35 PM
Scoobydoobydoo
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by remedyman
El Gaucho, been there a few times when I just can't eat another fish dinner! For great fresh caught fish dinner (which is just about everywhere in Aruba!) ....Yemanja's! wood fired fish grill behind The Renaissance Resort downtown..been there? simply awesome
Haven't tried that place but they opened a new place just past the heart of town where you can eat right on the beach. Ambiance is awesome as is the food.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 AM
Heidemarie
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by rmorin1249
I second these posts. My wife and I are traveling as much as our pocketbooks will allow. We have fallen in love with River Cruises. Have done the Moselle and Rhein. This year it's the Danube. Life is short. Live every day like it's your last!

P.S. Driving the autobahn can be a blast, if you are in the right car. Have picked up several new BMWs and had a blast. A 1.4L VW Polo, not so much. A C7 would be a blast. You could try and keep up with the Mercedes, Porsches and Audis. Most of the BMWs are computer limited to 155 mph. Ask me how I know.
When you travelled the Mosel you came by my hometown "Trier" and your river boat probably moored in Zurlauben next to the 1st bridge. our house is located just accross the river from there (was born and raised there (came to US at 22) and returned many times to visit mom during my TDY to Europe. The Autobahn is a blast but nothing like the Nuerburgring. Sure wished we could drive our C7 GS there.
Heidi
Save the Wave
Old 03-11-2017, 09:51 AM
remedyman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Damn you all you retired folks! Just rub it in with your impromptu Aruba trips and overseas adventures! My wife and I travel a lot just to come back to working our asses off...

Hey...You earned it! Enjoy it! I would rub it in too and I plan to in a few years!
Semper Fi Marine - survived 2 tours in Vietnam as a medic for you jarheads (but I love you guys) and...well, ya, enjoying each and every day as if it were my last....as you were
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 AM
remedyman
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blvdbrawler
Damn you all you retired folks! Just rub it in with your impromptu Aruba trips and overseas adventures! My wife and I travel a lot just to come back to working our asses off...

Hey...You earned it! Enjoy it! I would rub it in too and I plan to in a few years!
Semper Fi Marine - survived 2 tours in Vietnam as a medic for you jarheads (but I love you guys) and...well, ya, enjoying each and every day as if it were my last....as you were
Old 03-11-2017, 11:29 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

June 12th, 2019.

I'll probably teach a few night classes at the local community college and continue to coach tennis after that, but anything I do will be by my own choice.

A Danube cruise is just one item on on my long travel bucket list as are the Adriatic coast, Prague, Provence, Normandy, the Rheinland, the Baltic States, and the Pacific Northwest. Driving Watkins Glen, Lime Rock, Mid-Ohio and Road America are also. I'll be busy.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:52 AM
RoadVettes
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
June 12th, 2019...

Perfect timing...The next Corvette Caravan to Bowling Green is August 2019
The following users liked this post:
jcsperson (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 10:06 PM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 375 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by stevebz06
I guess I'm the oddball here: I really miss my job.
I am with you Steve, I could retire but still actually like working! (Am a fairly old software geek).

Last edited by at7000ft; 03-11-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:50 PM
L8ter
Melting Slicks

Received 929 Likes on 522 Posts

OP, just in case you want to stretch your legs.
If you're still in decent shape, like the beach and water, you could take advantage of one of the best natural features Aruba has to offer, the wind.
It's s one of the most popular Windsurfing and Kitesurfing destinations in the world.
You can kill half a day, take a windsurfing lesson, and get some exercise in without having to sweat.
Head out pass the Ritz Carlton on LG Smith highway and go find a place to take a lesson.
Warning! If you like either one of these sports it can alter the course of the rest your life.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:01 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by JimNeedsC7
Wow - that sounds ideal - I often wished my boss in some other plane of existence.

But in my case I had a whole corporate executive structure to deal with - right on the same campus. When you get that many hungry, crazy, dialed out people together it is really hard to imagine just how many ways that it can go wrong. And after they break everything in sight they start blaming all of us who did the actual work, despite their brilliant leadership!

I hung on years past when it was fun mainly for the big bucks, but it was pretty much my idea of hell and I smile every time that I think about it being over!
Big biz has always been that way; it just gets crazier the closer you are to the execs. And I almost always was near the "boss of bosses." One second-in-command even taught me a new phrase: "I want you guys nearby---you're not going to the new building even on the same piece of land. I like having you within 'strangle-distance.' "

And, to that last paragraph, I know an awful lot of corporate and small biz owners who said the exact same thing: they hung on much longer than when it had originally been fun. They all made money---corporately, or on/in their own biz---but, in the end, it was barely worth it.

Sure, some of us think of getting back in the biz, but with some age and wisdom, the no-thanks attitude prevails. Plus, you add in the no-longer-able-to dismiss-BS factor and you'd be out on your keister in about 30 minutes!
Old 03-12-2017, 08:20 AM
JimNeedsC7
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads
Big biz has always been that way; it just gets crazier the closer you are to the execs. Plus, you add in the no-longer-able-to dismiss-BS factor and you'd be out on your keister in about 30 minutes!
All of that is very true and I remember my Dad's business horror stories from many years ago, so I guess it has always been that way.

Once you can no longer dismiss the BS and start telling the big boys the truth, it is all over for you anyway. I mentored a young guy who was way, way too honest and sincere for his own good. I often told him that the first rule was: When in doubt - LIE.

This thread has reminded me of just how glad I am to be out of that world, although it certainly helped to pave the way for a nice retirement.

Last edited by JimNeedsC7; 03-12-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:16 AM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, pretty hard to beat retirement as long as you have the resources to enjoy it. We’ve also done a bit – no, a lot of traveling. Just about all the European river cruises, Russia, 2 weeks on the Nile, African safari, China, Mediterranean ports, India & Dubai last October. Leaving for Vietnam & Cambodia tomorrow. But looking forward to warmer weather on our return. Hopefully the Vette & bike can come out from Winter hibernation. Then 2 weeks in Ireland in July.

You’ve got to keep moving while you can. It won’t last forever.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:49 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

Retired in 2010 a month shy of 60................as one doctor told me----his heart doctor told him that he never had a dying patient tell him that they wished they worked another year longer..............

If you can afford it, do it sooner rather than later----we just don't know how many good years we have left. I was a picture of good health. Exercised for decades--cardio and weights----ate pretty good.

In retirement we have taken trips to Florida, Aruba and 2-3 other islands down there; London; Ireland, Rome, Florence, Venice; southern Italy; various spots around New England---can't think off the top of my head where else...................however, in the last three years I have had four operations (two were attempts to clear up complications); cancer has returned and last week I just completed 39 days of radiation (not complaining just trying to make a point------when you see others---CHILDREN and young parents under going radiation and chemo treatments----you can't complain--I can't complain).....................bottom line, my quality of life has taken a severe hit and my over seas travel is probably over.

It is a trade-off between working longer for a little more money, and retiring while we have our health. If money doesn't permit one to retire, that is one thing, but if one can afford it--------it is worth thinking about.

Life is short--------------so drive the heck out of your corvette while you can!
The following 2 users liked this post by funz06:
Boiler_81 (03-12-2017), robertbruce (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:03 PM
stevebz06
Melting Slicks

Received 304 Likes on 205 Posts

Oh, I made a mathematical mistake. Make that over 45 years of daily 8 mile beach runs.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:08 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Did they ever build that race track on the island of Aruba? Congrats on your early retirement. Life is good when you can enjoy yourself everyday. It's the best way to live.

I always laugh as I tell people..the first fifty years was earning the money...the second fifty is for enjoying spending it...

Arubas one of my favorite islands...the weather is always wonderful.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:03 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Supporting Vendor

Received 588 Likes on 519 Posts

Congrats to you!

Now you can research what parts to get for your c7!

-Josh
Old 03-12-2017, 08:10 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

I could retire now but I'm keeping it going until a ship or two come in.
I've invested so much over the last 10 years. Some have failed but some still might win. Definitely going to retire by 60 but trying for 55 in a couple years.
I'd give it all away for my youth back though. That's the most valuable thing you can have. I heard there's a fountain somewhere.

Quick Reply: Ah yes, retirement, Aruba and good reads