Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Nation on Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 05:43 PM
Da Hawk
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 46 Posts

It was terrible. More infomercials than anything else. Very little quality dedicated to Corvette enthusiasts. The female host was dreadful to listen to. Overall, it was a poorly produced program.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:30 PM
cswood
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I watched 3 episodes on Netflix last night. Wow, one of the host didn't even know how to open the door in one of the earlier shows! The other guy used to work for Mecum. Poorly done.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:11 AM
lagunabluez51
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Lawsuit ends show?

Lawsuit could spell the end of “Corvette Nation” TV show
Daniel Strohl on May 26th, 2015

CorvetteNation_900

The hosts of Corvette Nation, including Michael Brown, far right. Photo via Corvette Nation TV on Facebook.

With two of the people behind the Corvette Nation television show at odds in a lawsuit over a loan used to guarantee its air time, it appears the show may not return for a planned third season with its existing cast, if at all.

In the lawsuit, which co-host Michael Brown filed in April against Howard Lipkint, the owner and developer of Corvette Nation, Brown asserts that a $75,000 loan that he made to Lipkint before the start of the show’s second season has yet to be repaid in full and that because Lipkint put Corvette Nation up as collateral for the loan, he should be relieved of ownership of the show.

Lipkint, reached by telephone last week, admits that he failed to pay off the loan by the date the two agreed on, but said he never put the show up as collateral and will thus fight the lawsuit.

“I admit there is money due, I’m not disputing that aspect, but there was no collateral required for this loan,” he said. “The series will go through for its third season.”

Brown and Lipkint met after Brown’s documentary on one of Chip Miller’s Corvettes, “The Quest,” debuted in 2011. With several seven-minute segments on various Corvette collectors already filmed, Brown agreed to contribute to the first season of Corvette Nation, a show that co-host Bill Stephens created and that Lipkint developed for air on the cable network Velocity.

Toward the end of that season, according to both Brown and Lipkint, the latter owed Velocity about $55,000 for air time under the time-buy agreement Lipkint made with the network. According to Lipkint, while Velocity does develop some of its own shows, the rest of its programming schedule is made up of programs that independent producers fund and create; the producers then pay Velocity for certain blocks of air time.

“So we don’t get paid by the network,” Lipkint said. “The only way to stay on the air is by raising sponsor money. There are good and bad parts to the scenario. You have to raise all of your own money, but you also retain ownership of the show and can find other revenue streams.”

He said that air time for the first season of Corvette Nation cost him between $200,000 and $250,000. Production costs rang up another $200,000.

With money due to pay for airing the last episodes of that first season, he approached Brown for a loan to cover the outstanding bill, another $5,000 for production costs, and $20,000 more to get the second season of the show off the ground.

“I’m not saying I rode in on a white horse and saved the day, but in effect I saved the day,” Brown said. “I wanted the show to succeed as well.”

According to the terms of the loan, which Brown made to Lipkint in December 2013, Brown would become a co-host of Corvette Nation – alongside co-hosts Maria Prekeges and Stephens – and would get a commercial for “The Quest” during every second-season episode. Lipkint would get a year to repay the loan, and Brown said he initially told Lipkint he’d grant no extensions.

Brown did eventually allow a 90-day extension, but only if Lipkint could come up with $20,000, he said. “He did, and then when that was up, he asked for another extension,” Brown said. Lipkint’s extensions ran out April 1, which led Brown to file the lawsuit in Tarrant County, Texas, where he lives, against Lipkint and Lipkint’s production company, RocknWheels, LLC, based out of Henderson, Nevada.

Lipkint said he didn’t just allow the time to repay the loan run out, though. “I had a sponsor of ours ready to send Michael another $10,000 as a partial payment, but he didn’t accept it,” Lipkint said. “We made the attempt.”

Brown said he did reject an earlier offer of $7,800 – then 10 percent of the loan and accumulated interest – from Lipkint in favor of the 90-day/$20,000 extension, but that he never heard of a $10,000 partial repayment offer.

While Lipkint said he’s still more than happy to allow Brown to take a 45 percent ownership stake in the show, as the two had discussed before they settled on a loan agreement, Brown said he really has no interest in taking on any stake in the show and just wants the remainder of the loan repaid with interest – an amount that totaled more than $58,500 when he filed the lawsuit.

“There’s a simple solution for this,” Brown said. “If he just pays me, he can go on his merry way. He might say I’m trying to take the show away from him, but no, I don’t want the show.”

As for the planned third season of Corvette Nation, Lipkint said the lawsuit will not alter his plans for it, and that he would like to have Brown continue his role as a co-host. “I respect him for his work, not his attitude,” he said.

Brown said he too would “love to continue being a part of it,” but that he doesn’t want to do anything with Lipkint.

Representatives for Velocity had no comment on the lawsuit but said they were working out details on the show’s third season. Corvette Nation remains listed on the Velocity website.

Filming for the third season was expected to begin this spring.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:49 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,109 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Where are the C7'S?

Quick Reply: Corvette Nation on Netflix