C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has FE2? (Magnetic Ride on non-Z51 Stingray)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 12:46 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 294 Likes on 219 Posts

What doesn't sound reasonable is you are being *very* particular about your options for a 1+yo, soon to be 2+yo model year.

Sounds like you need to custom order your car. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by lennykoll
After trying to digest all the Z51 vs. FE2+NPP info (thanks folks) Here is where my thinking lies.

I am selling one of my older "Vettes to make way for a C7... probably 2015-2016 Convertible. I have not yet looked into insurance differences between base-Z51 but if not a huge difference it looks like either a Z51 WITH FE4 OR Base 3LT with FE2+NPP would be my nirvana. As an old fart, I am not going to track this baby.... wanted Memory Seats/wheel so my 6' 3" frame could work with my 5' 1" wifey.... pleasure cruiser.

As to A8.... it looks from the survey like 2016s had fewer failures than the 2015s but I decidedly wanted A8 vs. A6 on 2014s..... plus my desired equipment engine-wise. I would rather spend to get a later version than the 2014 "first year" car.

Does it seem like a reasonable shopping list given what I want.... hard to cypher the ads to find a Stingray with FE2.... usually the dealers tend to note a "Performance" package and show the larger tires/wheels but never mention the MSRC itself.... have to dig to find out for sure. I could live with the base Stingray but would LIKE to have FE2 and NPP.... but not a deal breaker if it is otherwise equipped with what I want. If insurance looks neutral, will decidedly go for a Z51 with FE4 to soften the ride.

Thanks for all the information on the subject.... tried to read it all vs. being lazy....ha ha.....
I have a 2016 non-Z51 with FE2, NPP, Nav/PDR and really like the MSRC. The car handles as well as my '01 C5 w/Z51 in my opinion. I might have gone for the Z51 but for my insurance, which quoted nearly double vice the base Stingray. I definitely wanted the Z51 appearance and was glad that for 2016 GM bundled that with the new FE2 suspension.

As for your shopping list, as you say if insurance neutral, Z51 with MSRC might be your best option and either 2015 or 2016 although the 2016's produced after 11/15 got a TC upgrade that might lessen the possibility of A8 problems (I have had none in 12,000 miles on my 9/15 build but have worried a lot). If you must go base and want FE2 (MSRC), you have to look for 2016+. Most dealers will identify a car as a Z51 in their ads and if it is 2016+, doesn't say it is a Z51 but looks like one (i.e. wheels and spoiler) then it has FE2 and MSRC.

Good luck with your search. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.
The following users liked this post:
lennykoll (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:17 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsapper
What doesn't sound reasonable is you are being *very* particular about your options for a 1+yo, soon to be 2+yo model year.

Sounds like you need to custom order your car. Good luck with your search.
Particular.... not sure ANY of us are not particular when it comes to what we are looking to own. After getting the insurance difference for ME, it will either open up the Z51 as an attractive option or not... certainly not a show stopper either way. I choose to let someone else eat the 1st year depreciation vs. custom ordering a new unit..... been there, done that and there are lots of slightly used vehicles out there that could fit my needs..... silly me, I think that is VERY reasonable!?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:28 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,109 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by Supersonic 427
FE2 is the option code for the Base Suspension with MSRC and the Z51 Wheels, Tires and Rear Spoiler. ($3495) So it looks like a Z51! Prior to '16 there was a ZF1 pkg. for $1995 which gave you the Z51 wheels tires and rear spoiler. Z51 has a FE3 suspension and with MSRC it is called FE4
Gary if you really want the entire LOOK of the Z51 add the slotted rotors and nobody VISUALLY will be able to tell the difference between my Z51 and your car .

Last edited by Always Red Dave; 03-20-2017 at 06:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Supersonic 427 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:32 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Particular.... not sure ANY of us are not particular when it comes to what we are looking to own. After getting the insurance difference for ME, it will either open up the Z51 as an attractive option or not... certainly not a show stopper either way. I choose to let someone else eat the 1st year depreciation vs. custom ordering a new unit..... been there, done that and there are lots of slightly used vehicles out there that could fit my needs..... silly me, I think that is VERY reasonable!?
My point is you're looking used. Your choices will be dictated by what someone else wanted. What you're looking for I don't think was a very popular set of options. "Particular" probably wasn't a good word choice. More like "peculiar".

Good luck with your search.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:42 PM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by bigsapper
My point is you're looking used. Your choices will be dictated by what someone else wanted. What you're looking for I don't think was a very popular set of options. "Particular" probably wasn't a good word choice. More like "peculiar".

Good luck with your search.
Oh... so Peculiar is less offensive than particular..... LOL.....whatever!! I posted on here to seek and share information, not to be judged!!

I will share what I found on the insurance front and maybe a lot of folks on the forum my be able to use what I found to their advantage.

Just for grins, I contacted Hagerty (my other 'Vettes insured through them..... A+++) and found that they would be happy to also insure a 2015/16 C7 with the same coverage my other CLASSIC cars have... $100/300K, ZERO DEDUCTIBLE and an agreed value on total loss of $60K.... which is my target purchase price... for less than $1K/year additional to my current policy. VERY small difference Z51 or not!!!

https://www.hagerty.com/Insurance/Cl...Newer-Vehicles

OK.... my other insurer is USAA on my F-150 so contacted them for a quote on the same vehicle as I used as a stalking horse with Hagerty. They also had a fairly small difference between Stingray and Z51.... BUT... for $100 and $500 deductible with $100/300K the annual cost would be about $2K..... far less coverage and at twice the cost.

Now I can look at either a Stingray OR Z51 without the insurance cost being a determining cost factor.

If you already have a Classic insured with Hagerty, it might be a good thing to check that option out. They have been nothing short of fantastic per my and "everyone" I knows experience.

Sometimes being particular pays off.....smile.

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-20-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:45 PM
bigsapper
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess if you're looking to find offense, you will.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:47 AM
wbrands
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 68 Posts

OK.... my other insurer is USAA on my F-150 so contacted them for a quote on the same vehicle as I used as a stalking horse with Hagerty. They also had a fairly small difference between Stingray and Z51.... BUT... for $100 and $500 deductible with $100/300K the annual cost would be about $2K..... far less coverage and at twice the cost.
Wish I had a similar camparative quote from USAA - probably would be in a Z51 today (even though I really do not require it). They have been my carrier for somewhere around 30 years and I don't even shop other carriers I am so pleased with them. When I checked, they quoted me nearly double for the Z51 over the Stingray. I can't remember exactly when I got the quote but am pretty sure it was sometime in 2015 before I purchased in December. I insured it as a "normal" addition to my fleet of three and use it as a daily driver with 12,000 declared annual mileage. Their price for the Stingray is $792/yr for $300/500k and $500 and $1000 deductible. If I recall correctly, it was not an unreasonable increase on the 2001 C5 I replaced with it.

Good luck with your search. From cruising current dealer new inventory, it looks like the FE2 option is becoming much more common than maybe in the past. You should be able to find something suitable in either the Stingray or Z51 soon enough.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by wbrands
I insured it as a "normal" addition to my fleet of three and use it as a daily driver with 12,000 declared annual mileage. Their price for the Stingray is $792/yr for $300/500k and $500 and $1000 deductible. If I recall correctly, it was not an unreasonable increase on the 2001 C5 I replaced with it.

Good luck with your search. From cruising current dealer new inventory, it looks like the FE2 option is becoming much more common than maybe in the past. You should be able to find something suitable in either the Stingray or Z51 soon enough.
I love USAA also but keep Hagerty on my older iron. Not sure if your $792 was for 6 months or a year..... mine was actually $944/6 mo. for Stingray and $1,008 for Z51. If USAA gave you <$1K/year, that is a very close quote to my Hagerty bid... far better deductible with H... but USAA is great and have our Homeowners with them too. Have a perfect driving record (both of us) and live in a smaller town.... with a lot of other "Old Farts" We have our annual "Historic Prescott All Corvette Show" every Sept. and have several hundred "Vettes from all over... sponsored by our Prescott Vette Sette.

http://www.prescottvettesette.org/car-show

Anyway, thanks everyone for sharing your perspectives and yes, there are really some good "slightly used" choices out there and being flexible to either base or Z51 opened up a lot of alternatives. MSRC and NPP are desirable to me, but really neither are MUSTS and looks like dealers either ordered Z51s or FE2 a lot.....as did special orders so I am not looking for anything rare. I do feel that, in my case, if I go Z51 I will want to have FE4 for crusing and my wife's usage....smile.

I feel ready now to get out there and find a C7 to replace my C3 with updated technology and fun factor!! My '74 is now listed in the C3 Classifieds of this Forum

BTW wbrands, Great looking ride you have.... kinda looking for either Red or Black exterior with Kalahari interior....

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-21-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:27 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I had magnetic ride on my 1990 coupe (FXE), then on my 2006 (M55). If I remember right you could not get M55 and the Z51 option a the same time. When the C7 became available GM mentioned at Carlisle that you didn't need the Z51 package if not tracking the car. Well I purchased a base convertible, to my amazement the base suspension handles better than my old C6 did with the magnetic ride option. I since traded that 2014 C7 and purchased a 2017 base convertible again with out magnetic ride. No regrets!
Old 03-22-2017, 06:38 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,191 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I had magnetic ride on my 1990 coupe (FXE), then on my 2006 (M55). If I remember right you could not get M55 and the Z51 option a the same time.
That is correct except for one thing, it was F55, not M55. My 2005 came with magnetic ride but the rear shocks failed at only 70k so I replaced all four with Z51 shocks and had the magnetic ride tuned out of the car.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Patman
That is correct except for one thing, it was F55, not M55. My 2005 came with magnetic ride but the rear shocks failed at only 70k so I replaced all four with Z51 shocks and had the magnetic ride tuned out of the car.
Interesting.... so I suspect the MSRC at that time was not as sophisticated as in C7s.... and probably the replacement shocks were....$hocking.... did you miss the Mag ride or how did the Z51 shock performance compare to factory.... better or worse!?

I am going to insist on getting an extended warranty on whatever I get that COVERS as much as possible B to B but maybe the shocks themselves are wear items and not covered anyway...!!?? Just Curious.

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-22-2017 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

I am going to insist on getting an extended warranty on whatever I get that COVERS as much as possible B to B but maybe the shocks themselves are wear items and not covered anyway...!!?? Just Curious.
The GMEPP Extended Warranty does cover MSRC shocks.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:38 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Foosh
The GMEPP Extended Warranty does cover MSRC shocks.
Thanks Foosh... that will save me some research.... is that the plan I should consider the "best" for all the C7 tech stuff extended coverage? My older 'Vettes don't even have cup holders...no 'tronics on them.....ha ha. I will check forum etc. for best prices on GMEPP but are there some dealers that will sell it for a reasonable price.... did that with my loaded F-150 and saved a lot vs. stealership prices....

UPDATE....Searched and found your post on Forum and will contact Ken for a ballpark quote on Platinum version... thanks...

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-warranty.html

Last edited by lennykoll; 03-22-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:44 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

I compared all the available plans, and decided that GMEPP was best. It's also seamless in terms of claims, which are handled the same as the bumper-to-bumper warranty at GM dealers.

Price quotes at various dealers can vary dramatically, and some will try to rip you off. Follow the link below for what will likely be the lowest price that can be found at any given time.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-warranty.html
Old 03-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Interesting.... so I suspect the MSRC at that time was not as sophisticated as in C7s.... and probably the replacement shocks were....$hocking.... did you miss the Mag ride or how did the Z51 shock performance compare to factory.... better or worse!?

I have only noticed a few times where the base shocks couldn't keep up with changing road condition demands. If you are cresting a slight grade and initiate a turn, the front outside wheel will slide slightly. Not scary, but you can feel it (if I would not of had magnetic ride previously would never have even noticed). As for extended warranty, I trade every three years keeping factory bumper to bumper warranty intact.

Last edited by Larry/car; 03-22-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Patman
Race Director

The Z51 shocks on my C6 are slightly stiffer than the magnetic ride in sport mode. The mag ride on the C6 is definitely not as good as on the C7, there was not a huge amount of difference between the two settings, so I really don't miss it. For me, I found it most noticeable on the highway, that on certain bumps the car felt a bit more floaty in tour mode, and it didn't do that in sport mode (and doesn't do it now with the Z51 shocks). I don't drive the car super hard, but if I did I would certainly miss the one big benefit of magnetic ride that people don't seem to talk about much and that's how it keeps the car more stable. For instance, under heavy braking with mag ride the nose won't dip as much, and under hard cornering the car won't lean as much, as mag ride corrects for all of those things.

The replacement cost of just two magnetic ride shocks on my C6 was most definitely shocking, they wanted $2400 for them!!! I ended up getting slightly used Z51 shocks and got all four of them installed for just $500, and that also included lowering the car, aligning it and using a Tech 2 to tune out mag ride so I didn't get error messages.

When I get a C7 I really hope to find one with MSRC, but buying used is always a compromise.

Get notified of new replies

To Who has FE2? (Magnetic Ride on non-Z51 Stingray)

Old 03-22-2017, 10:29 AM
lennykoll
Racer

Originally Posted by Patman
The Z51 shocks on my C6 are slightly stiffer than the magnetic ride in sport mode. The mag ride on the C6 is definitely not as good as on the C7, there was not a huge amount of difference between the two settings, so I really don't miss it. For me, I found it most noticeable on the highway, that on certain bumps the car felt a bit more floaty in tour mode, and it didn't do that in sport mode (and doesn't do it now with the Z51 shocks). I don't drive the car super hard, but if I did I would certainly miss the one big benefit of magnetic ride that people don't seem to talk about much and that's how it keeps the car more stable. For instance, under heavy braking with mag ride the nose won't dip as much, and under hard cornering the car won't lean as much, as mag ride corrects for all of those things.

The replacement cost of just two magnetic ride shocks on my C6 was most definitely shocking, they wanted $2400 for them!!! I ended up getting slightly used Z51 shocks and got all four of them installed for just $500, and that also included lowering the car, aligning it and using a Tech 2 to tune out mag ride so I didn't get error messages.

When I get a C7 I really hope to find one with MSRC, but buying used is always a compromise.
Holy sticker shock, Batman!! I suspected that was part of the case. I have several options now that I know insurance (for my case) will not force $$ consideration for Stingray vs. Z51. Still leaning towards Mag but not a biggie.... also looking more at 2014 A6 vs. A8 2015+... seems like a lot of smoke about issues with A8.... and differential "Warble" so trying to digest my choices.... but am a happy camper as there are a lot of choices out there.... or so it seems.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:52 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

The prices of MSRC shocks have come down over the last 10 years. They're now about $350 each.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Patman
Race Director

^^^ this is true, although the price for C7 magnetic shocks already started out much less than what they charge for C6 magnetic shocks. Hopefully the C7 ones are more durable than mine. 70k seems very low for any type of shock to fail, my C5 had perfectly good shocks when I traded it in at 133k, and my Honda Civic's shocks just failed recently with 130k on it.

Quick Reply: Who has FE2? (Magnetic Ride on non-Z51 Stingray)