Advice on making decision...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 03:15 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 134 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Advice on making decision...

I was in the process of trying to come to a decision on whether to buy a Stingray or Grand Sport. I though I had some time still but I was just told I have to have my order in by next week for new build. I will not track or race the car. I love the look of the GS but will be happy (I think) with the C7 base looks, if it ends up to make more sense. I would either get the Stingray Coupe 2LT with every performance option available...I would get 3LT but for some reason it wont allow me to add the Z06 Grille and ducts. Not sure if I should add the Z51 Performance Package....because at that point I might as well go to the GS? This car will be a DD and I will keep it for years. I am hesitant to go with GS...not sure if its just too much car to deal with? I read about the tire chatter, the width , driving in the rain with the only tires available at this time...and wonder if I will say I should have stuck with the base model. I have read every test drive, review, opinion I can find...only to be more confused. I have always driven sporty cars, so when I say I would like a comfortable ride, I am saying that as a driver of an older Z28...not a sedan..lol.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:22 PM
mountainears
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 988 Likes on 609 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C7 of Year Finalist

You can order after "soon" it will just come later, would be a 2018 model year vehicle. But if you want to get before then and no one has what you're looking for on their lot, then yes, you need to get it in soon.

This post probably won't help you make up your mind though, you're going to get opinions from all sides....

From what you're stating so far though, it sounds like going with a Stingray and optioning it up the way you want it would be the way to go. I have a GS, love it's looks, but I love Stingray's too! You'll be happy either way!
The following users liked this post:
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:26 PM
Fat Mike
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 730 Likes on 610 Posts

I traded my '15 Stingray for a '17 GS and have never looked back. The tire chatter on my GS is no worse than it was on my '15 w/ Z51 package.

I have often kicked myself in the backside for taking the less expensive route but "settling" for a version that I thought I could "get by with".

I really prefer the lines on the GS even better than I did on my Stingray but lots of guys will tell you that's simply personal preference. I have no regrets going with the GS this time. Good luck with your decision!
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:28 PM
jclarksnakes
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I think climate is important in the decision process if you plan to make it a year round daily driver. Here in Savannah GA my Grand Sport is a perfect year round daily driver. If I lived in the north and needed to drive it daily year round I would have been more inclined to go with a Stingray without the Z51 package.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:35 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Iro,
If I read correctly what a sponsoring dealer rep wrote to me last week in an email, the last day for Chevrolet dealers to order a 2017 Corvette, is April 13th.

If you want performance, without the frills of a GS, go with the Z51 option.
Old 03-12-2017, 03:47 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,619 Likes on 6,625 Posts

From the OP's questions I also wonder what he needs! My Grand Sport is replacing my 2014 Z51 not because it looks better, only because I felt the Z51 tires looked a bit anemic! They were the same width as my Z51 C6! Since I park next to my Street Rod with 420 section width rear tires I could hear it chuckle when I pulled in!

Seriously dealing with wider tires, a stiffer ride and a dry sump requires thought and reading the owner's manual. The base C7 has the same width tires as the Z51 and unless the OP will push the car in high "g" turns, why bother. At least he can bu the Z51 look alike, wish they had a Grand Sport look alike so in 6 months we don't get all those questions about issues at the dealers with a dry sump and why, even in tour do those stiffer springs, added and larger sway barbs not ride as soft as a base car!

This Grand Sport mania reminds me of the $2800 I paid for the Z51 option in October 2013. Half the folks bought it because it was cheap and they liked the spoiler and bigger wheels! Recall one person who said, "I will not use a watch to check my oil level!" Perhaps not but he'll overfill and be cleaning up oil spills that dripped from his air filter!

PS: My Z51 chattered much worse than my C6 with the same width tires. The base C7 will chatter badly as well if driving below 45 F. It has to do with the tire construction not the wide tires. Easy workaround, which I'll also employ in my Grand Sport. When 45 or below don't use full lock for slow speed turns like backing out of a parking slot, make "K" turns! Does no harm but feels terrible so why not!

Last edited by JerryU; 03-12-2017 at 03:51 PM.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:48 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you all! I forgot to mention...I live in Southern California. No issues with weather except for rain. I was thinking about a 2018 model and waiting to see if there was anything I could not live without...but if I have to order next week...no time. I had thought the date was in April. But a local dealer rep told me next week? And the cost is not a real issue. The price of both options are too close, and besides I would get what I want. If, however there was a substantial different in upkeep costs, I would take that in to consideration.

Sorry, my first reply seemed to disappear...then re appeared

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-12-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-12-2017, 03:56 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ Depends on the dealer allocation. I bought from the largest Vette dealer in the country and having courtesy delivery (they sell over 1000/year.) They have enough allocations that delivery and constraints were not an issue. Smaller dealers may not get an allocation and the order date could be an issue. If something you select is on allocation, they may also have to wait to get it, FWIW

It appears the factory may shut down for more than the 3 months that have been reported.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-12-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 03:59 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Jerry, that is exactly the kind of info I was wondering about. I already have a Corvette Mechanic I will continue to go to for service. I wont be doing my own oil changes. But was asking myself if dry oil sump system is more or less problematic as the car ages? I do love the look of the GS ...but as I said I don't just want to get it because it "looks" better to me.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^ Sounds like you do know what you want and there is NO problem with a dry sump. You can read the Owner's Manual and follow the simple instructions for checking levels and you'll be fine. There is no aging issue. Many European cars come with dry sumps.

Unfortunately some dealers put poorly trained mechanics helpers in the oil change bay. Frankly getting good mechanics is a real problem. They are often the one's that have the problems with dry sumps.

Daughter and family live in Upland and you'll have no significant chatter issues. Great weather to own a Vette! Best of luck.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-12-2017 at 10:05 PM. Reason: No need to re-quote the previous post, especially if you're the next person posting.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 04:07 PM
Rebel Yell
Le Mans Master

Received 2,639 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by lro

I love the look of the GS but will be happy (I think) with the C7 base looks
That statement tells me you should get the GS. You don't want to second guess your choice after you get the wrong car home. Good luck.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 04:11 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I actually am going with out of state option to buy...I saw that the larger dealers in the country are offering a nice percentage under MSRP . I am in no hurry to receive the car.
I just want to make an intelligent decision. I don't want to kick myself in the butt later.

I live in Rancho Cucamonga, right next to Upland!
Yes , I DO like the look of the GS ...But I wont use the tracking abilities, even though I appreciate them being there..
I grew up in Italy. There were always Maserati , Ferrari, Lamborghini, De Tomaso that caught my eye. Probably why I like the GS looks. But like a good looking person...looks are nice, but the personality is what you have to deal with in the years to come...lol

I actually live in the city adjacent to Upland!
I grew up in Italy. Was surrounded by Ferrari, Maserati , Lamborgini, De Tomaso...hence the reason that I am attracted to the looks of the GS...but as in a person...looks are not everything...you are stuck with the personality in the long run...lol

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 03-12-2017 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

I'm ordering GS and have been told 4/13 cut off date for ordering. I was also told might not want to wait to last date to make sure order got into Chevy system. I haven't been updated to have in order by next week. I will call my dealer tomorrow to make sure I have updated info.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 06:14 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you Borntorun...the person that gave me the info is an acquaintance I ran in to that works in an executive position at local dealer. When I asked him...he went to his mobile email and scrolled to the one announcing the cut off date....and exclaimed ...oh wow you have until next week! I, of course, assumed he had info that was not available to me...but he could absolutely be mistaken.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:08 PM
Z51Tim
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the Z51 is a great upgrade,,,bigger brakes ,bigger tires and wheels ,,dry sum oil system and the electronic diff,and extra trans and diff cooling,as well as heavyer suspension and anti-roll bars,, ,add the magnetic ride ,but i can't say either way if the Z07 carbon fiber rotors are a benefit or not,,seems like overkill for the street,,but i won't argue with how cool they look,,,PDR is good but the nav sucks,,too bad you can't seperate them.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 07:12 PM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Get the most car you can afford.

You will be happier if you do.

\db2
The following 2 users liked this post by dbaker:
lro (03-12-2017), ZenicaPA (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 07:16 PM
Borntorun04/17
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by lro
Thank you Borntorun...the person that gave me the info is an acquaintance I ran in to that works in an executive position at local dealer. When I asked him...he went to his mobile email and scrolled to the one announcing the cut off date....and exclaimed ...oh wow you have until next week! I, of course, assumed he had info that was not available to me...but he could absolutely be mistaken.
Your contact person might me right ,so I will call my dealer tomorrow to double check. Rather be safe than sorry and not miss out on ordering . Thanks
lro (03-12-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on making decision...

Old 03-12-2017, 07:25 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Since you said you're in no hurry to get the car, if I was in your shoes I'd hold out for a 2018. There's bound to be a change or two that you'll like (even if it's only a new color or two). The flip side is that with the plant shutdown it would probably be at least September (possibly later) before you got your car.

As for Stingray vs. GS, based on everything you've said I recommend going with the one whose looks you like better, plain and simple. If you go with a Stingray, I think you'd have more regret over not getting it with Z51 than with not getting a GS.
lro (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 09:36 PM
lro
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I have gone over each and every option ad nauseam...read every write up, review, test drive...I just cant make up my mind. The Stingray fully equipped comes to (MSRP) $73,700. Z51 $75,000. Grand Sport $79,000. Price is not a deciding factor. I just wanted to know from those that actually drive the car...what their thoughts were. If I could drive each one for a week, I would know myself. I guess I'm afraid to end up with a car I cant handle or am uncomfortable in. That is why I would not consider a Z06, even though I would love to own one.

I'm sure I am overthinking this...maybe because I'm a women? This said, I have always driven V8s, Turbos , sporty cars...etc...so not looking for a cushy ride. Just not looking for an exotic , money pit, car to race on streets or track. I appreciate the rumble and the power. And feel good knowing it is there if I need it. Does that make any sense?
Old 03-12-2017, 09:43 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

You really need to drive them.. I have a Z51 with the magride and love. Previous car was a Golf R with the dynamic chassis control. Yes the Vette is louder, but I don't find the ride harsh at all and we have bad roads here.
lro (03-12-2017)

Quick Reply: Advice on making decision...