Sponsored by:

2014 Diagnostics test

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 03:22 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Default 2014 Diagnostics test

the dealers perform this test. which i have done and it says now start your car for results. not sure what im looking at because the display is all normal like when you turn on the car. maybe its a good thing but i want to be sure im doing this correctly. so if anyone knows how to perform the self diagnostic test on 2014 stingray. thanks for your support
Old 03-13-2017, 09:39 AM
RVC
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I just use my own scanner, its much easier.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by RVC
I just use my own scanner, its much easier.
If you have a scanner only capable of reading OBD II codes you don't get a full diagnostic picture. You need to be able to read the ABS, Air Bag and Chassis/Body codes to get a full picture. ABS and Air Bag codes will cause a warning message/light but the other ones don't give any indication other than something not working correctly. To fix those items you need to know the code.

What is interesting about modern cars including the Corvette is that powertrains are so reliable nowadays that most failures occur outside of the OBD II realm.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 03-13-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 918 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
If you have a scanner only capable of reading OBD II codes you don't get a full diagnostic picture. You need to be able to read the ABS, Air Bag and Chassis/Body codes to get a full picture. ABS and Air Bag codes will cause a warning message/light but the other ones don't give any indication other than something not working correctly. To fix those items you need to know the code.

What is interesting about modern cars including the Corvette is that powertrains are so reliable nowadays that most failures occur outside of the OBD II realm.

Bill
OBD II refers to more than Engine Codes. At least within the industry. My $100 Reader from Amazon.com reads PCM/ECM, TCM, ABS, Airbag, and Chassis codes for most cars.

The OBD standard just states that a sub-set of diagnostic codes are assigned to specific things. It also mandates that you can read emissions related faults.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_l...or_(automotive)

Get notified of new replies

To 2014 Diagnostics test

Quick Reply: 2014 Diagnostics test