Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:38 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,668 Likes on 8,311 Posts

Originally Posted by Operations
Look guys, I'm just trying to help.
if you want to popo this, fine.
Next time at the track look at the coaches, most are registered in Montana, or Delaware.

This is legal, it's not shady.
See your business lawyer, they will give you the info to make a wise decision, I did.

Realize when your LLC is registered in another state that is the residency of the business, not to be confused with the state where it is driven.
My business is registered as a LLC in Montana, my car is registered in the same state of my business, that is legal.
If the car is registered in your name, yes you must register in the state of your residency.

No one is shutting it down, the sky is not falling.
Yes, I own a big diesel pusher, and I know it's common on those. I also know it is perfectly legal per Montana law. I'm talking about how it might be viewed in your real home state. It is easier to get away with on a big coach.

If you do have a legitimate business registered as an LLC in Montana, then all is well and good, but most people who do this do not. I have had acquaintances get questioned on this in their home states. Montana doesn't care, but other states are starting to focus on it, because it is becoming more common and no longer under the radar as it once was.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:29 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, I own a big diesel pusher, and I know it's common on those. I also know it is perfectly legal per Montana law. I'm talking about how it might be viewed in your real home state. It is easier to get away with on a big coach.

If you do have a legitimate business registered as an LLC in Montana, then all is well and good, but most people who do this do not. I have had acquaintances get questioned on this in their home states.
I've owned diesel coaches for almost 30 years. I have always done my initial registering for license plates, way, way, out of my home State of Texas. I have done so to avoid paying exorbitant sales taxes when registering them. In my business traveling roughly half the Country, I never gave it a second thought by the thousands of dollars I've saved exercising my rights of choosing State licensing. Some coach owners have run into individual State trouble, because the coach they're driving, does not match their State's Drivers License, when getting pulled over. My birth State and city of Omaha, Nebraska, is even giving the advising of turning in your neighbors when they see out of State plates on your personal vehicles.

Montana LLCs are not going to cut it when push comes to shove in at least two States that have cracked down on coach owners in their respective States of Colorado and Iowa. Frankly, I view it as more of a scare tactic by those States.

None of which has anything to do with willfully breaking State law, when two license plates are required on any given vehicle.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-22-2017 at 12:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:38 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, my home state of Maryland, and many others also encourage citizens to report neighbors running out-of-state plates for long periods of time, and they do because they resent others not paying their fair share of taxes. Exceptions are made for legitimate military and business reasons, but you have to have an acceptable explanation.

It's no big deal on my coach because diesel vehicles over 26K GVWR are exempt from inspections, there are no property taxes, and they cost no more to register than a car.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:54 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,000 Likes on 2,887 Posts

Being here in Texas, I solved the problem of getting a LLC in Montana, register my toys in that State.
1. No front plate required
2. No State Inspections
3. After Car/Truck is over 5 years old (might be 10, can't remember) it is issued permianite tag
4. Motorcycles, RV's, Trailers, get perminate tag, no yearly renewals.
5. No Sales Tax, Zero, Nada, zip
The last time I bought a diesel coach, I checked out Montana State website. The price of registering a coach was a flat rate of $450.00. Regardless the price paid for it. I did not check the annual fees, but I seem to remember $75.00 or so.

I chose to register my last coach in South Dakota. The tax rate was 3.5%, versus Texas' 6.25%. The savings to me was substantial.

The all star State of Oregon, has no sales tax on getting your first set of license plates for your vehicles. I have seen a lot of Prevost coaches in the States I travel with Oregon plates.

Originally Posted by ColoradoGS
I looked into that...I have (long story) real estate in two states. Everything I read said you had to register a car in your primary residency state or the state where it was going to be "6 months and a day".

Does having an LLC change that?
No. If you're breaking the law, no State's LLC will negate your exposure.

Good luck w/ that Montana LLC thing. I hear that's being cracked down upon in a lot of states.

While Montana let's you get away with it, many other states consider it a very shady deal, which it is. It's just a matter of whether you get caught or not.
If you're seen and or reported enough to out of State scrutiny - your coach's registry address better match a State other than your home State. Yes, it's possible to get nailed, unless your credentials are in order. Thankfully, I was never scrutinized over years when my coach was parked at my Texas homebase.

Last edited by Skid Row Joe; 03-22-2017 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:21 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
My birth State and city of Omaha, Nebraska, is even giving the advising of turning in your neighbors when they see out of State plates on your personal vehicles.
Yes, my home state of Maryland, and many others also encourage citizens to report neighbors running out-of-state plates for long periods of time.
I can hardly believe that kind of behavior by a state govt. of the United Sates of America.
I just don't get it...

WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE LAND OF THE FREE for fncks sake!!!
What in the he!! is wrong with governments back East???
Old 03-22-2017, 08:59 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

What makes you think it's just states back east? Nebraska and Colorado were also cited above doing the same thing. It's your next door neighbor who will make the call. I've resided in Texas, California, and Minnesota, and neighbors are neighbors.

Last time I checked, law enforcement agencies in every state welcome citizen reports of possible violations of law.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-22-2017 at 09:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skid Row Joe (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 12:44 PM
Corgidog1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,482 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
Since GM came out with a decent grille mounted bracket, no big deal anymore. All my cars already have front plates mounted, so I don't even notice them anymore.

This option is also good... with body color duct tape, it practically disappears!
That plate taped onto the silver vette is flat out hideous!!!!
Old 03-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Ernest_T
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Being here in Texas, I solved the problem of getting a LLC in Montana, register my toys in that State.
1. No front plate required
2. No State Inspections
3. After Car/Truck is over 5 years old (might be 10, can't remember) it is issued permianite tag
4. Motorcycles, RV's, Trailers, get perminate tag, no yearly renewals.
5. No Sales Tax, Zero, Nada, zip
Montana doesn't care what state you live in-you can legally use the LLC to register motorhomes, cars, even planes in Montana. It's your home state that will penalize you for doing so.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:04 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

What makes you think it's just states back east? Nebraska and Colorado were also cited above doing the same thing.
Anything east of the Rockies is considered "back East" out here.
It's your next door neighbor who will make the call.
It's rare for something like that to happen...no one wants to be known as a tattle-tale or a narc for silly-a$$ reasons.

I've resided in Texas, California, and Minnesota, and neighbors are neighbors.
People do NOT act the same everywhere in this country.
Sheesh....

Last time I checked, law enforcement agencies in every state welcome citizen reports of possible violations of law.
Not for chickenshite traffic code violations...for violent or property crime -- YES!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I think you're a bit delusional if you really believe that. I've been an investigator for many years, and I can tell you that you are 100% wrong.

Quick Reply: Texas-no front plates