Battery maintainer idea

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 AM
JK 23112
Drifting

Received 962 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by budgreen3564
That's what the one in the trunk/hatch is meant for

Oh, I thought that was for your little kids to plug in their iPhones while they ride in the back. LOL!

Seriously, I plug mine in there all the time. When I bought my Corvette, the salesman pointed it out to me and said that is the purpose of that 12v plug.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,624 Likes on 6,628 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
I leave one window slightly open and run the cord out the window. Not fond of leaving the tender inside for several months. Don't like having the cord compressing the trunk gasket either.
Originally Posted by Corgidog1
I just leave the trunk door ajar as the trunk lite goes off in a few minutes so no worries about compressing the trunk gasket.
Since the lights don't go off for ~10 minutes some folks don't understand that the C7 will shut all power down in that time or less even if you leave a map light on, for example.

That is why you can leave a charged battery for ~30 days (per the Service Manual) in a C7 versus older Vettes. It does come on for some devices, like OnStar but for a very short time, then shuts right back down.

I bought the equivalent of the GM charger for other reasons but don't use it as it's my DD. Been on several vacations for 2 1/2 weeks and even with a low voltage battery since new, never had an issue. Started right up.

Last edited by JerryU; 03-18-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:44 AM
tlippy
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JRYELLOWCORVETTE
I leave one window slightly open and run the cord out the window. Not fond of leaving the tender inside for several months. Don't like having the cord compressing the trunk gasket either.
I put a piece of wood over the trunk latch. Another benefit of this is that when I start the car an "open trunk latch" warning appears on the instrument cluster. Helps keep me from forgetting the charger is plugged in and driving off with the charger dangling.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:33 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tron1
I disconnected the alligator clips from my battery maintainer and purchased: 12V Cigarette Lighter Plug to SAE Quick Release Adapter Extension Charging Cable, to connect into the trunk battery port. My question is: Does the trunk port remain connected and functional to the battery, if I didn't buy the optional C-Tek from GM?
Yes, and please forgive me for writing this.... but, reading the manual will answer this and many more questions. There really is a lot of good info in there.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM
blkvet6
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by 6spdC6
As I close the trunk and put a car cover on for the 5 months the car is off the road no way do I want my tender modual inside the car.

Been using a tender on 4 different Vettes now and I put the box on a old plastic milk crate a foot behind the car and run the wirees in and close the trunk--NO PROBLEM! I used a Schumacher tender for my 98-05-07.

I got a Chevie one when I bought the car and that is the one I'm using on my 15Vert, the Schumacher now goes on my stored boat battery
I use my charger, and do not put it in the car.... the plug is on an 8 foot cord, no need to put the charger in the vehicle.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Blue Demon
Le Mans Master

Location: And then it was said... "let there be blue Corvettes and yellow Camaros" Ft Worth Texas
Received 100 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

My Battery Tender is mounted on a wall at the rear of the car with the cord plugged inside the hatch. When I am using it, first I make sure I put this on the front windshield so I won't drive it out of the garage still hooked up.

The following 2 users liked this post by Blue Demon:
JK 23112 (03-18-2017), okaythen (07-17-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 05:56 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

I connect my Battery Tender to the +12V post on the alternator.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Tron1
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ersatz928
I connect my Battery Tender to the +12V post on the alternator.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:58 PM
REZ1
Burning Brakes

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Ctek

Originally Posted by Blue Demon
My Battery Tender is mounted on a wall at the rear of the car with the cord plugged inside the hatch. When I am using it, first I make sure I put this on the front windshield so I won't drive it out of the garage still hooked up.

I put a sign in the drivers window......TRUNK..
been there done that and made the repair....

Quick Reply: Battery maintainer idea