Sponsored by:

Hibernation is over! :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Hibernation is over! :)

The storage place called today.. and said please pay your bill for April or get it out by the end of the day.. and so I did!

C7, meet SS. SS, C7. (They've never been formally introduced)

I left the trunk ajar and disconnected the battery when I put it away, and she started right up. Was quite happy about that as I've heard about a few horror stories on here - thanks for the heads up all!

Happy days!
The following users liked this post:
bosco1 (04-06-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 04:47 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Definitely that time of the year glad yours went well.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:45 PM
lakemg
Melting Slicks

Received 909 Likes on 606 Posts

Hmmm I have a silver C7 too and a Camaro, but my Camaro is your Camaro's great great great grandfather

Last edited by lakemg; 04-04-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Mine is still hibernating in the garage unfortunately. It's charged up though. Probably change the oil and fire up the insurance Friday.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:54 PM
JDM111er
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Hopefully, the last day of snow in NE Ohio is Friday. I'm getting the itch.
Old 04-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,752 Likes on 4,181 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Drive it and make up for lost time!
Old 04-04-2017, 11:04 PM
Jeffthunbird
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 439 Posts

Got mine out yesterday after 5 months. I normally would store it for a much shorter time but we had a lot of late season crappy weather this year. I put away early too as I broke my leg last Fall. Ugh
Old 04-04-2017, 11:15 PM
brettmess24
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Looking good has me debating if I should have ordered my GS in blade silver instead of WGG
Old 04-05-2017, 09:59 AM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Smart idea leaving the hatch open. Nice color corvette as well looks kinda of familiar.

Last edited by brooklync5; 04-05-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:09 AM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

I noticed a lot of rodent proofing. Did it work? Any sign of activity? For this reason, I don't think I'd leave the trunk open. If the battery goes dead, you can get into the car with the key in the fob.
JDM111er (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Woodson
Le Mans Master

Received 1,364 Likes on 789 Posts

I don't know how you guys do it.
Maxpowers (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

Congrats! I am planning on taking mine out of storage next Monday. (4/10) It is my birthday and is supposed to be 74 degrees with no rain.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:37 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

It's easy to do it - it's like a bad breakup, after some time you just kind of forget you have the car and spend more time on Corvetteforum.com. Mine is still tucked away. Once it comes out, I'll be spending less time here online
Old 04-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Subw00er
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Lol yah, Just about when you forget you own a corvette, the warm weather hits, and you say to yourself.. holy **** I have a vette, lets go get it! Its Christmas all over again!!!

Lakemg, thats really funny, made me LOL!

Nice car Brooklyn!

Originally Posted by dbdave
I noticed a lot of rodent proofing. Did it work? Any sign of activity? For this reason, I don't think I'd leave the trunk open. If the battery goes dead, you can get into the car with the key in the fob.
OMG, you wouldn't believe the chemical and physical warfare I initiated when putting my car away. All of the storage facilities around here have rodent issues. The unit I was in had signs of it, and two units away they actually told me had an issue and to avoid it.

I used:
- two different ultrasonic emitters placed at the front and back of the car, aiming at the metal walls for good reflection.
-two different types of mic bait/poison blocks (both were lightly nibbled on at various times throughout the winter)
-Shakeaway rodent repellent (smells minty)
-bug bomb set off a week before the car went in to get rid of spiders and small bugs
-fresh cab rodent repellent (smells nice! - farmers swear by this stuff)
-mice traps (didn't catch any - ended up pulling these out because if I did catch one, it might be a month or two before I went back and I didn't want it to decay in there)
-full pack of dryer sheets spread all over the place (I hear these are good till they lose their smell, then they become bedding)
-wood-sceneted moth ***** at egress areas (an old favorite of my dads, but they can make the car stink. I used a few sparingly)
-car jacket storage bag with water absorbent packs (well-made and expensive, but honestly, probably would deter mice all by itself). I also used a normal indoor car cover under the bag
-sealed all holes to exterior with spray foam (interior walls and ceiling are still shared from unit to unit)

The net result?! Absolutely no issues or smell in my car when picking it up. I checked on it a few times throughout the winter, looked for mice poop and eaten blocks. The bag is nice peace of mind - you can check for obvious holes.

I definitely did some overkill action! I think next year I will just use the bag, ultrasonic repellents, and fresh cab. That should do it!

I'll still leave the trunk open because its the easiest way to get back to reconnect the battery. I had reservations about doing that, but if mice got in there and nested, they'd probably do it in the air box or engine compartment anyway - it would be harder for them to jump on top of the car.

Last edited by Subw00er; 04-06-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 02:33 PM
kenownr
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm already in withdrawal - Feb was a pretty nice month here and drove the car quite a few times. March was so-so and I was looking fwd to April. So far April has been lousy with cold rain and snow for tonight and tomorrow. They are saying the weekend is suppose to be nice - yippee -- we will see. Gosh I hate winter and before the down S guys flame me with "move south" -- good job, family and friends here, plus between the military, and working for the airlines - I've moved enough!! Watching and waiting for the weekend
Old 04-06-2017, 02:38 PM
capecodvette
Drifting

Received 180 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by brettmess24
Looking good has me debating if I should have ordered my GS in blade silver instead of WGG
Blade Silver Metallic is an often underrated color. I love mine...!!!
Attached Images   
Old 04-06-2017, 04:08 PM
dbdave
Le Mans Master

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Subw00er
OMG, you wouldn't believe the chemical and physical warfare I initiated when putting my car away. All of the storage facilities around here have rodent issues. The unit I was in had signs of it, and two units away they actually told me had an issue and to avoid it.

I used:
- two different ultrasonic emitters placed at the front and back of the car, aiming at the metal walls for good reflection.
-two different types of mic bait/poison blocks (both were lightly nibbled on at various times throughout the winter)
-Shakeaway rodent repellent (smells minty)
-bug bomb set off a week before the car went in to get rid of spiders and small bugs
-fresh cab rodent repellent (smells nice! - farmers swear by this stuff)
-mice traps (didn't catch any - ended up pulling these out because if I did catch one, it might be a month or two before I went back and I didn't want it to decay in there)
-full pack of dryer sheets spread all over the place (I hear these are good till they lose their smell, then they become bedding)
-wood-sceneted moth ***** at egress areas (an old favorite of my dads, but they can make the car stink. I used a few sparingly)
-car jacket storage bag with water absorbent packs (well-made and expensive, but honestly, probably would deter mice all by itself). I also used a normal indoor car cover under the bag
-sealed all holes to exterior with spray foam (interior walls and ceiling are still shared from unit to unit)

The net result?! Absolutely no issues or smell in my car when picking it up. I checked on it a few times throughout the winter, looked for mice poop and eaten blocks. The bag is nice peace of mind - you can check for obvious holes.

I definitely did some overkill action! I think next year I will just use the bag, ultrasonic repellents, and fresh cab. That should do it!

I'll still leave the trunk open because its the easiest way to get back to reconnect the battery. I had reservations about doing that, but if mice got in there and nested, they'd probably do it in the air box or engine compartment anyway - it would be harder for them to jump on top of the car.
Good job! It looks like you had about every mouse proof method covered and probably the best was the car bag. Mice in the car is one of the worst things that any owner has to deal with. The stink, the mess, the destruction are sometimes beyond belief. Do the same next year, even if you have a new location.

Get notified of new replies

To Hibernation is over! :)

Old 04-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,733 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Mine was out Monday for the first time.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:39 PM
DAFFYDRUNK
Melting Slicks

Received 289 Likes on 238 Posts

Changed the oil, fired up the insurance and took her out for a joy ride this afternoon. You forget how bad-*** the thing is when you drive a 140HP $hitbox Saturn for 5 months....
Old 04-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

"fired up the insurance "

Was your car unregistered for the 5 months it was sitting? That's the only way for us here to take it off the insurance policy. I would never do it because with my luck something will happen (ie. roof collapsing) and the home owner's insurance won't cover act of God or something!!

Quick Reply: Hibernation is over! :)