Sponsored by:

Moving a new ZO6 out of the snow !!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 02:37 AM
Groovepusher Sly
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Just Do It

Just do it, it's an adventure, a chance to test your skills and judgement, and experience what modernized America, an epic road trip in a car. And you're gonna do it in an icon, a Corvette! (a Z06 at that!)
Plan your trip carefully, pay attention to detail and drive carefully. Forget about the salt, stay on interstate highways until you're past the snow, then cruise on home.
Remember you have a 500 mile break in period which will be during the part of the trip where you need to drive moderately any way. You'll be able to cruise along and familiarize yourself with the cars controls and systems.

Relax, have a good trip, and take pictures going and coming, cause you know your forum brothers and sisters love to live vicariously through each others experiences. Good luck, safe trip.

Sly

P.S. When I have to take a trip in the winter, I just wait till they clear the local streets. Once I get to the interstate it's all good.
TIP: I made the NOAA Radar link an ICON on my phone, instant rain, snow, and weather maps.

Last edited by Groovepusher Sly; 03-19-2017 at 02:43 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Marshall (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 07:35 AM
redandtan
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Moving a new ZO6 out of the snow !!!

I live a few miles from Niagara Falls and would be happy to assist anyway possible, but I don't have access to a truck and trailer. Call me if you need assistance. 716-731-5869.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:05 AM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 869 Likes on 434 Posts

Some guys are suggesting he drive on Summer tires in under 30 degree temps..!!!
Not a good idea..!
If you can afford a Z06, you can afford enclosed transport by a national firm..
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 AM
roadbike56
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,037 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17,'22,'24

Kevin,
200 miles isn't going to cut it. They've got snow further south than 200 miles from Niagara.
BTW, glad to see you found your Corvette. Hope this works out for you.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It may be just slush, but around Wash DC, all the roads were heavily salted with brine mix before snow (very little snow) and salt afterwards. While it is raining lightly off and on, cars are coated, sides, top and bottom with salt. You will get that for at least the next couple days from where you pick up the car in Upstate NY, to at least Wash DC. That means, your car going up, and your new car coming down. Is that ok? If it is, drive it. If not...
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 AM
trumanjd1
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

Kevin..was just in Falls Friday night to enjoy Southside Johnny and the Ashbury Jukes..live in Williamsville area..can understand your anxious desire to get your Vette home..play it safe...enclosed trailer transport is best way to go...these NY State roads are brutal...not to mention unpredicatable weather being so close to Lake Erie.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 AM
Jameskapp001@gmail
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 32 Posts

I just bought a 2017 Grand Sport in Michigan. Dealer trailered it from southern Michigan to northern Michigan picked up my C6. I drove it from the street into the garage and have been waiting for 50 degree weather ever since!!
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Steve Garrett
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7,753 Likes on 4,182 Posts
CORVETTE TODAY Host
St. Jude Donor'15

Kevin, I have merged your two threads together. Forum rules only allow one thread on any singular topic.

Cheers.....
Old 03-19-2017, 10:03 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Depending on the tires ? If these aren't the tires that crack if used below 30 degrees..

Just drive the car ...and wash it or have it detailed when you get home. I think some corvette owners over protect their cars...

One trip with a wash isn't going to hurt anything..

I've daily driven three new corvettes year round...

I used to keep them sitting sweet all winter and then one day o realized life is to short to not enjoy the things I own as they were intended...

GM makes these cars to be used..(except if you have those summer only tires)

If it's summer only tires...pay the dealer a few bucks to meet you with the car on a trailer somewhere where the weather is warm enough for those crazy summer only tires...

Don't get **** even with money no object...this just a cool sports car that at so,etc etc in the future it will depreciate and you ll want something else...

Jmo and congratulations
Old 03-19-2017, 11:40 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

You spent all that money on the Vette, now do it right and find the best professional car transport company and have them deliver it to your house.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:46 AM
redandtan
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Move Zo6 out of the snow country

Kevin Marshall: stopped by to see your vette, absolutely beautiful. Sales rep was confused until I explained how we connected. Enjoy your ride back.

BTW I did not encounter any dreaded pot holes.

Weather Forecast
Today
Mostly Sunny
53°19°
10% Chance of rain W 18 mph 52% Humidity

WED
MAR 22
Partly Cloudy/Wind
H - 28° L- 17°
0% chance of rain NW 20 mph 44% Humidity

THU
MAR 23
Mostly Sunny
H - 39° L - 30°
0% chance of rain WSW 7 mph 45% Humidity

FRI
MAR 24
Rain
H - 47° L - 36°
80% Chance of rain SW 12 mph 80% Humidity

richard.j.witkowski@gmail.com
Kevin Marshall (03-22-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:56 AM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

I agree. I have been driving cars for a long time in snow/salt states and none of them have rusted out because:
- I wash them and maintain them
- I don't own them long enough for rust to be an issue (typically don't keep cars more than 7 years).

For the limited amount of driving and exposure to salt we are talking about here I really don't think you should be concerned about that at all. It's like people who refuse to drive their Corvette in the rain...

Just being honest here we are not talking about a Ferrari/Lamborghini/etc that is a limited run automobile that will hold it's vale or appreciate. As wonderful a car as the Corvette is, they are mass produced and depreciate like most cars. Driving the car in the rain/snow, etc it probably going to have little to no impact when you sell or trade in the car down the line as long as your properly maintain the car inside and out.

That said, if your not comfortable driving the car then transport it. It's your money and your car and there is nothing wrong with shipping it.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by roadbike56
Kevin,
200 miles isn't going to cut it. They've got snow further south than 200 miles from Niagara.
BTW, glad to see you found your Corvette. Hope this works out for you.

Tons of salt dumped last week all the way down past DC and no rain since then.... and we have had snow here in Philly the first week of April quite a few times...
Old 03-21-2017, 11:47 AM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

Since you don't have a long transport, why don't you just watch the weather? I was so impatient to pick up my new-to-me 2015 Z51. Waiting for it to be delivered was agonizing.

I think you should wait for the weather to improve and make the drive. It'll be a blast!

Have fun!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 PM
iclick
Melting Slicks

Received 618 Likes on 420 Posts

I drove mine from NH to LA from March 1-3 and my plan was to make the deal and wait for a window of opportunity for the weather to break, which it did one day after making the deal. Unseasonably warm temps in the NE (highs in the 60s, lows in the 40s) gave me two days to get started and make it as far south as possible to avoid very cold weather coming soon thereafter. I was lucky and my window came very soon after making the deal on the car, but had the timing not been so fortuitous I would've just waited and held my patience.

I would suggest doing the same thing, as a weather break will come sooner or later. All you need is 1-2 days where the temps are ≥40° at first start, no snowfall predicted, and no accumulated snow on the roads. If temps don't go too far below that once underway it shouldn't be an issue. In my case, right outside of Roanoke, VA I hit the coldest conditions (30°), but the tires had warmed up to show "warm" on the tire temp gauge on the DIC and I noticed no traction issues.

Last edited by iclick; 03-21-2017 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 PM
olcrazy1
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

weather is not bad up here now, it has rained a few times so the salt will be off the roads and it is supposed to be 50 F plus the next week or so. I'd say you are in the clear.

I'm in the same boat. have a GS in MI waiting for me to pick it up. going to wait another week then go get it and drive it home. Last week was back, this week is ok, next week will be fine. If I was you I'd go get it and drive it him.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:27 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

You said you are driving your car to Niagara Falls to trade it in on the new Z06....

If you have a commercial transporter pick up your new Z06 and deliver it somewhere south, I don't believe they are allowed to carry passengers, so how will you get back to the southern delivery point where they would drop off your new Z06? Sounds as if you would have to take a second car(and driver) along with you on the trip.

A private individual with an enclosed car hauler and a pickup would be the best bet as you could ride with him in his pickup from Niagara Falls to where he unloads your Z06.

A good friend of mine has a 26 foot enclosed car hauler and a one ton dually truck, but he's in Branson, Missouri, so it would cost you a ton of money to get him to drive all the way to Niagara Falls, pick up your car and drive it a couple of hundred miles south and then him to return to Branson. I'm sure he would be glad to help you out, but it sure would be expensive for you.

Last edited by JoesC5; 03-21-2017 at 04:29 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving a new ZO6 out of the snow !!!

Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 AM
Kevin Marshall
Racer

Location: Love the Smokey Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, Milton GA and Jupiter FL
Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Snow or not ?

Hello to all,

Well I got adventurous and started my journey Monday early. Based on what appeared to be managable weather reports and the feedback from a very nice gentleman who lives not too far from Niagara Falls. I am
driving up to see what I encounter.

I called "Reliable" for transportation as well as quite a few other providers. Reliable was unavailable for at least two weeks and everyone else could only give me 2 to 5 day pick up window and it 2 to 5 day drop off time.

This does not work for me with time constraints and it's about the adventure.

I was not planning on shipping the car all the way home. I'm only going to try to get it out of what might be inclement weather and damaged roads relative to the normal freeze thaw cycle of the winter.

I'm over halfway into the trip and in Northern Virginia, although cold there's been no signs of snow yet. I am driving up in a Corvette that I really love, it is sold to a friend of mine that is on the trip with me.

I'm taking him in the car, as I'm trading it into the dealer for tax credit on my New car and it will immediately be sold to my friend for a pre-negotiated number and the dealer was cool with it because it doesn't cost him anything and saved me in my case 2000 bucks in sales tax.

So far we have two full days on our trip and although maybe incomprehensible for all of you guys, we've been in the car trucking around curvy roads, going out of the way and having fun. We have only made about 400 miles.

We're going to focus now and drive 400 miles today to get to where the car is this evening because it's a clear cold day today it's supposed to be the same tomorrow. The objective would be to get the car out of the dealership prior to noon and hopefully on what appears to be a warmer clear day tomorrow about 40° drive the car south and out of any potential weather as rain is supposed to arrive in The Niagara area on Friday.

I hope to start a new thread telling all about our trip that's been fantastic so far. Were in a really cool C6, convertible, auto, 3LT super nice car.

I enjoy other peoples stories and live vicariously through their's somI hope to be able to do the same with mine for all of you.

If someone would be so kind as to private message me because I'm not technically literate enough to know how to get pictures from my iPhone posted in the forum it would be helpful for me to begin to create the story that started Monday morning.

We're going up in a Jetstream blue and I am picking up am Laguna Blue Z. Then we are parading home with both Corvettes. Arent Corvettes blue? I mean Red.

Kevin and Rick
redandtan (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:48 AM
ggroller
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I dig it man. These trips are always a blast.

I live in Northeast PA and me and my buddy drove my C5Z back from TN a few years ago.

Me and that same buddy drove to MI for a 68 and wound up driving back empty handed. LOL.

Our most recent adventure was to pick up my '17 GS in NJ.

We have some great stories to tell.

Have fun, be safe, and enjoy that new Z
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM
thill444
Le Mans Master

Received 4,100 Likes on 2,003 Posts

Kevin,

Thanks for the update and sounds like you are doing it the right way. Drive these cars and enjoy them!

Quick Reply: Moving a new ZO6 out of the snow !!!